Sacramento (Orangevale), CA
Shady Oaks Park Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #5 (Taken 2/2015)

5+    1/2/2012   5/15/2012
Review By: TeetersMcClain
Pros: - Bathrooms on site
- Practice baskets near the pro shop
- Numerous garbage cans and very little litter on the course
- Concrete tees and clear, accurate signage
- Signs posted for any mandatories
- Varied hole layouts challenge all aspects of a player's game
- Course layout is both intuitive and accurately represented in course maps
-Friendly, knowledgeable staff at the on-site pro shop
Cons: - Very crowded by 11:00 am every day.
- Extremely muddy for most of the late fall, winter and early spring
Other Thoughts: -Watch out for snakes, mosquitos, and dogs off leash
- Show up 15-20 minutes before sunrise if you want to get a round or two in before it crowds up
- See the pro shop for lost & found
- Beware of numerous water hazards from September-April, as the fairway for several holes are dominated by a creek.

Valley Jewel

5+    4/22/2012   4/25/2012
Review By: Steve G
Pros: As mentioned before, lots of challenging holes and plenty of variations. Pretty good bunch of folks that frequent the place. Used by many age groups and ethnic backgrounds.
Cons: Beware of walkers, joggers, horses, family's etc.
Drinking, cigs and 420 have cast a shadow, unfortunately. Citations are not unheard of and the tolerance level by the neighboring home owners is growing thinner. The course post warnings to violators at the 1st tee.
Other Thoughts: I love the diversity of this course. The dog legs and tricky basket placements keep you on your toes. The creek comes into play often and creates plenty of risk reward shots. I spent 15 minutes, knee high in the creek for 15 minutes, two weeks ago, and never found my Orc! Love that disc. Two day's later it was waiting for me in the pro-shop. Good karma to whoever you are =)

1    2/20/2012   2/25/2012
Review By: Sitzmann420
Pros: Lot's of variety, heavily wooded to wide open, left's, right's, and straight ahead holes.
- Creek flows past many of the holes, sometimes crossing the fairways multiple times in a single hole
- Huge amount of risk / reward shots
- Distances range from short and sweet to long and wooded
- Nice concrete teepads
- Good signage
- Great pro shop onsite with excelent selection including many rare discs that they get printed for tournys
- There is only a little elevation change on the course, but it definatly helps add to the experence
- Easy to find, right off of Hazel.
- Trash Cans around
- Benches on most holes sometimes 2
- Practice baskets next to the pro shop
- Easy to navigate
- Great use of land given
Cons: - Usualy crowded during peak hours, sometimes with large groups, some of which won't let smaller groups play through
- Creek is often brown and deep neer the basket and can be hard to find a disc in
- Road noise on the holes neer the back of the course
- A couple of holes are blind
- Can get muddy in the winter and dusty in the summer
Other Thoughts: -overall one of sacramento's bests course

Best in Sacramento???

5+    8/29/2011   1/20/2012
Review By: martianmusic
Pros: Everything! Great layout, 18 holes, challenging obstacles, great indoor pro shop, each hole has multiple pins that are changed regularly, shady (thus the name), well maintained, plenty of friendly people. FREE to play.
Cons: Easy to lose a disc on many of the holes with all the trees. Can get VERY hot in the summer, but there is shade. Can be VERY muddy in rainy seasons.
Other Thoughts: This is my personal favorite course, I play often as I only live 20-25 minutes away.

Home sweet home!

5+    12/29/2011   12/29/2011
Review By: CptSaveAPar
Pros: Shady Oaks lives up to it's name as most of the round is played in the shade underneath the mighty oak trees. This is especially nice during the summer months when things really heat up. The pro shop on site is awesome, and has a huge selection of discs as well as food and drink. There are bathrooms next to the parking lot and 2 practice baskets are located just beyond the pro shop. Every hole has solid concrete tee pads as well as benches and trash cans. Multiple pin positions that get changed weekly ensure the course never gets boring. A washer system showing the current pin location is on all tee signs. Course layout is excellent, flows nicely, and should be fairly easy to navigate for 1st timers. Each hole is unique and different forcing you to throw many different types of shots. Considering the location there is a good use of elevation, and a creek that runs thru much of the course comes into play on more than a few holes depending on the time of year.
Cons: An insane amount of people play this course every day! If you come later in the day or on a weekend be prepared for what could be the longest round of your life. Also sometimes out here you do come across some pretty questionable people.
Other Thoughts: I learned to play disc golf here and while the course has changed over the years it has always remained challenging and fun. No two holes are the same and most offer a great risk/reward factor. Poor shots off the tee can be severely punished making par tough to get while there are still plenty of birdie ops to be had.

No good

5+    12/14/2011   12/26/2011
Review By: SweetZombieJesus
Pros: Well maintained course, lots of trash cans and benches.
Cons: Way too busy and lots of up-tight players. Staff at the pro shop was ridiculously rude to me.
Other Thoughts: I was accused of stealing a disc that I brought with me half way across the US by the pro shop manager. I will never come back here.

Go have fun at a course that doesn't require you to wait 10 minutes at each hole before you can toss.

Stoked on Shady Oaks

1    12/13/2011   12/14/2011
Review By: elton807
This review was updated on 7/12/2012
Pros: Very prominent DG community & culture. Superclean, well laid-out, superb teepads and signage, excellent baskets. High number of trees; played in fall, so leaves everywhere, but very aesthetically pleasing. Excellent flow to the layout, especially for the large crowds playing. Not too long, not too short. Amazing DG pro shop on site; easily found a rare disc I've been looking for. Benches at each teepad. Just a perfectly maintained DGC that has obviously been around for a while, and gets tons of traffic. Beautifully "broken-in".
Cons: Right up there with Golden Gate, Condon, & Sunset for busiest DGC I've played. Not too hilly.
Other Thoughts: This course compares with De La Raza in San Jose. Joined up with a couple college kids on 5th hole, and overall had a really great 1st time out.
==================
Uniqueness: A (a truly nice course; aged like a fine wine)
Difficulty: A- (tons of trees; more elevation would be better)
Fun Factor: A (great hole designs; tons of shot variety & drive options)
Aesthetics: A (gracefully aged for a 30 yr old course; litter free!)
--------------------
Overall: A

Awesome... If you don't mind some things...

1    8/19/2011   8/20/2011
Review By: tgashby
Pros: Long, beautiful holes
Great variety
18 entirely different holes
Pro shop right there
Cons: Not for beginners, almost lost a few discs
Not very well laid out
Crowded all day
Many course users are drug users, but nice enough...
Other Thoughts: I went by myself, not knowing what to expect. I managed to join a small group that knew the course, the only issue was that every 2 or 3 holes they would smoke, and not cigarettes... I would normally say this was a fluke, but I noticed the same behavior with several other groups on the course.

A Fun Course

1    7/23/2011   7/31/2011
Review By: austoroc
Pros: This course has plenty of fun factor for me. It gave me enough challenges where I had to try strategize a bit about my shot selections without being too frustrated like I might have at other tougher courses.

I played this course with my dad who doesn't play that often, so the course was still enjoyable for him. The course doesn't play overly too long for many of the players like my dad.

There are definitely some ace opportunities here. I have come close to getting one on couple of holes, and that definitely drives up the fun factor for me.

There's a pro shop on location, and who wouldn't like that?
Cons: The baskets are hard to see from the tees, so it was difficult for me to ascertain which pin placement is being used.

There are few people that did not have proper etiquette when it comes to playing. There were a large group of 7 players that refused to let us play through for 6 holes before a local joined my group. I don't know if this is prevalent for this course or not, but it made for a big first impression.
Other Thoughts: I'd come back to this course if I'm passing through Sacramento. It's perfect for a casual round of disc golf with friends or even with one of the locals.

I just certainly hope that they don't put gums on my car again! What, the locals don't like out-of-staters come play at the course?

Great experience!

2-4    6/25/2011   7/7/2011
Review By: elmarduk
Pros: Solid concrete tee pads, holes well marked and easy to understand, varied shot opportunities, course was clean and seemed well kept, multiple pin placements indicated by washers on t-pad markers. I enjoyed playing under the shade of the trees. There is a creek running through the course, which adds to the challenge of shooting under par. We arrived at 8:00am on a Saturday and had no course traffic problems even with 20+ cars in the parking lot. This was our first time playing this course and everyone we spoke to were extremely friendly and helpful. Didn't see or run into any of the "shady folks" others have mentioned here in the review. Most of the players we met were experienced players, which was motivating for us. Note that we started at 8:00am. We played 2 rounds and by 10:45am there were about 7-10 people waiting at Tee #1 and the parking lot was almost full.
It was huge plus to have a pro shop there as well with a pretty extensive varied selection of discs/weights and disc manufacturers. I can see why this is a favorite course for many. Would love to play this course again.
Cons: The only downside besides the potential overcrowding is the terrain being mostly dirt. The weather was awesome for us, but mud would be a problem after any rain.
Other Thoughts: Need another 18+ course in area.