Sacramento (Orangevale), CA
Shady Oaks Park Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #6 (Taken 2/2015)

Shady P**ks

5+    1/16/2010   1/17/2010
Review By: JMONEY
This review was updated on 12/14/2010
Pros: - Pro shop that carrys most manufacturers like Discraft,Discwing,Gateway,Lat 64 and Innova and more.
- Practice area has two baskets in the putting area
- Large tee pads on all holes.
- Course flows well from hole to hole with very few if any pedestrian traffic to hold you up.
- Diverse and challenging course design with water (creek),elevations,hyzer,anhyzer pin placements.
- Clean throughout the course with trash cans and benches sometimes two benches.
Cons: - Can be crowded during the peak times.
- Parking can be tough during the peak times too.
- Peak times 10:00am 3:00pm.
- People like to start on holes 11 or 12.
Other Thoughts: - You can practice your drives on the soccer field just on the other side of the park and also additional parking available. Just follow the path going through the course area.
- Banks near the creeks can be very slippery

UPDATE: After reading this review I can't believe that I left out the fact that it's an awesome course and I make it a point to play here or at least putt a few.

Open, tight, elevation, and obstacles

2-4    12/13/2009   1/15/2010
Review By: Valktastic
- Fairly easy to navigate (link to map below)
- Signs, benches, and dials for pin placements
- Practice baskets near pro shop and 1st tee
- Pro Shop on site here is their website
- Big concrete tee pads on all holes
- Multiple pin placements that change it up
- Requires a WIDE variety of shots
- Challenging design with open and tight holes
- Creative use of creek and trees
- Busy during peak times
- Large slow groups not good about letting 2 guys play through?
- Lots of mud or dust depending on rain
- Limited parking when crowded
- Locals that are playing the course fit the description of other reviews . . .
Other Thoughts: Here is a link to a Map of the course

To have a better experience go early morning and weekdays when it is not as crowded. It took us about 2 hours to play the first time. We skipped a hole and came back because a large group that said no to playing through. If you play after it rains it will be quite muddy, but if not then it will be dusty so take your pick. It is a great course and is worth playing if you are in the area or passing through.

The pro shop has a good selection. I put a link to their website above.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

5+    12/23/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: LocalsRoute
Pros: This course has all the shots with many alternate pin locations.Tuff technical yet forgining to to novice
Cons: Increased popularity has overwhelmed course traffic causing huge crowds causing very slow play. Too many lets go just to get drunk and stoned and cause a ruckus type of people who dont respect this game or people for that matter
Other Thoughts: Pro shop on site. But dont expect great customer service or product knowledge of anything other than popular Innova prouducts.

1    11/15/2009   11/15/2009
Review By: hightide n nerd
Pros: Nice, technical shots. Great long shots to get a good feel out of your driver. Well marked with benches and trash cans at every "T". Beautiful scenery with lots of trees.
Cons: Crowded, but then again, I did go on a weekend. Some fellow players were a little rude and seemed they gave disc golfers a bad name by throwing their discs at local joggers.
Other Thoughts: Nice layout, nice course overall. I would definately play again when I'm in the area.

Classic Norcal

1    8/5/2009   8/7/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Great Pro shop with a helpful, knowledgeable person. Good signs with multiple basket positions. Challenging wooded holes. Good, long tee pads. Plenty of garbage cans and bench's.
Cons: A little crowded, but that is expected with the limited number of courses in the area. No memorable holes to discuss with friends later. Just typical, generic layouts. A little dull.
Other Thoughts: A good course, but nothing exceptional that would make me go out of my way to go back. I've seen other reviewers complain about the dust and dirt, but it's California. If you don't like it dry and dusty go up and play in OR or WA. It's sunny and warm, but that's the price of playing in most of the West. I'll take it over snakes and gators.

Wooded masterpiece

2-4    2/20/2009   7/29/2009
Review By: springy101
Pros: Lots of challenging holes short and long, holes in wooded areas are fantastic, great mix of open and crowded fairways, practice baskets and a pro shop on site.
Cons: Always very crowded... with kind of a rough crowd, rowdy drunks, easy to lose discs, and dusty.
Other Thoughts: I love playing this course when I can, but make sure to early in the morning on a weekday to avoid maddening crowds.

I liked it

1    7/21/2009   7/25/2009
Review By: BigA31640
Pros: I like playing courses that have pro shops. Jim Oates operates one here. Nice selection of discs, apparel, snacks, and drinks. Didn't see restrooms but I'm sure there are some.

3-4 basket positions on most holes. Nice mix of open and wooded shots. Concrete tee pads and benches on all holes. Signage was top notch with a marker letting you know what the basket position was.

Most of the locals that I spoke with were friendly.

Pretty easy to follow the layout from basket to the next tee pad. Some moderate elevation change.
Cons: Dirt dirt dirt. There is absolutely no grass on fairways of this course. Despite the sign stating dogs must be leashed no one does. I spotted no less than 6 dogs running around the course loose and had 2 run up on my tee pad when getting ready to drive.
Other Thoughts: I was lucky enough to witness a guy in the twosome behind me hit his first ace and sign his disc. I would play this course again.

1    6/30/2009   7/16/2009
Review By: bongripper0420
Pros: This course offered alot of different types of shots, mostly techinal, with very few wide open shots. Lots of unique uphill/downhill shots. Layout was o.k., fairly easy to follow. Pro shop on site is a big plus in my book. Locals seemed really friendly and willing to lend a hand.
Cons: REALLY DUSTY!!! Not used to playin a course that was that dry and come out as dirty as I did!!
Other Thoughts: All and all this was a unique experience for me as I will probably not be in the area for a few more years. really enjoyed all the courses in northern cali. and cant wait to get out here again. If your in the area I definetly reccomend this course. A must play!!!

Solid Course

1    7/11/2009   7/14/2009
Review By: ibgollie
This review was updated on 9/2/2009
Pros: This is one of the best designed courses I have ever played. They built a fantastic course on a relatively small amount of land. You have to be able to control your disc and must be able to throw many different types of shots to play well here.

The course runs through a grove of great oak trees with lots of shade, and OB due to the creeks that traverse through the course.

Great pro shop, well marked signs with daily pin indicators, it's a professionally run course. It's a must play course.
Cons: Honestly not much, holes 1, 2, and 11 (I think) were pretty lackluster, but the rest of the course is solid. That said, how many times can you pick out only a couple of bad (or normal) holes, and it's not the other way around?
Other Thoughts: The day I played this course they had every pin in the long position which made it much more fun for me.

It's a natural course so the greens were fast and it was dusty and stuff, I personally like these conditions, but others may not. The creeks were dry too, which made it much less stressful since there was little chance to lose a disc, in the spring this must be a killer course.

I also played with my friend as a guide and by his advice got there at 8 to miss the crowds. So I had a great day, but as we were coming off the local guys were just starting so I could see where some of the other ppls comments were coming from.

Fun in the Sun

1    6/29/2009   7/1/2009
Review By: The Ghostman
Pros: This course provides challenge because you will be utilizing every shot in your bag.

practice hole
Lots of shade
Pro shop (water, discs, bathrooms)
garbage cans on course
course was very clean

Cons: Didn't see many

Some holes are difficult to see from the tee area and we needed to go up and spot it first. This really isn't a con It just wasn't a plus for us as first timers
Other Thoughts: I shot a +15 for my first time out and wasn't totally disappointed. I am not a true beginner and I really putted poorly. I would figure many other good intermediate golfers would play this course regularly and score single digits