Sacramento (Orangevale), CA
Shady Oaks Park Share
Uploaded By: woodstock Hole #14 (Taken 11/2010)
Hole #14 Fairway to basket

Classic Norcal

1    8/5/2009   8/7/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Great Pro shop with a helpful, knowledgeable person. Good signs with multiple basket positions. Challenging wooded holes. Good, long tee pads. Plenty of garbage cans and bench's.
Cons: A little crowded, but that is expected with the limited number of courses in the area. No memorable holes to discuss with friends later. Just typical, generic layouts. A little dull.
Other Thoughts: A good course, but nothing exceptional that would make me go out of my way to go back. I've seen other reviewers complain about the dust and dirt, but it's California. If you don't like it dry and dusty go up and play in OR or WA. It's sunny and warm, but that's the price of playing in most of the West. I'll take it over snakes and gators.

Wooded masterpiece

2-4    2/20/2009   7/29/2009
Review By: springy101
Pros: Lots of challenging holes short and long, holes in wooded areas are fantastic, great mix of open and crowded fairways, practice baskets and a pro shop on site.
Cons: Always very crowded... with kind of a rough crowd, rowdy drunks, easy to lose discs, and dusty.
Other Thoughts: I love playing this course when I can, but make sure to early in the morning on a weekday to avoid maddening crowds.

I liked it

1    7/21/2009   7/25/2009
Review By: BigA31640
Pros: I like playing courses that have pro shops. Jim Oates operates one here. Nice selection of discs, apparel, snacks, and drinks. Didn't see restrooms but I'm sure there are some.

3-4 basket positions on most holes. Nice mix of open and wooded shots. Concrete tee pads and benches on all holes. Signage was top notch with a marker letting you know what the basket position was.

Most of the locals that I spoke with were friendly.

Pretty easy to follow the layout from basket to the next tee pad. Some moderate elevation change.
Cons: Dirt dirt dirt. There is absolutely no grass on fairways of this course. Despite the sign stating dogs must be leashed no one does. I spotted no less than 6 dogs running around the course loose and had 2 run up on my tee pad when getting ready to drive.
Other Thoughts: I was lucky enough to witness a guy in the twosome behind me hit his first ace and sign his disc. I would play this course again.

Great!!!

1    6/30/2009   7/16/2009
Review By: bongripper0420
Pros: This course offered alot of different types of shots, mostly techinal, with very few wide open shots. Lots of unique uphill/downhill shots. Layout was o.k., fairly easy to follow. Pro shop on site is a big plus in my book. Locals seemed really friendly and willing to lend a hand.
Cons: REALLY DUSTY!!! Not used to playin a course that was that dry and come out as dirty as I did!!
Other Thoughts: All and all this was a unique experience for me as I will probably not be in the area for a few more years. really enjoyed all the courses in northern cali. and cant wait to get out here again. If your in the area I definetly reccomend this course. A must play!!!

Solid Course

1    7/11/2009   7/14/2009
Review By: ibgollie
This review was updated on 9/2/2009
Pros: This is one of the best designed courses I have ever played. They built a fantastic course on a relatively small amount of land. You have to be able to control your disc and must be able to throw many different types of shots to play well here.

The course runs through a grove of great oak trees with lots of shade, and OB due to the creeks that traverse through the course.

Great pro shop, well marked signs with daily pin indicators, it's a professionally run course. It's a must play course.
Cons: Honestly not much, holes 1, 2, and 11 (I think) were pretty lackluster, but the rest of the course is solid. That said, how many times can you pick out only a couple of bad (or normal) holes, and it's not the other way around?
Other Thoughts: The day I played this course they had every pin in the long position which made it much more fun for me.

It's a natural course so the greens were fast and it was dusty and stuff, I personally like these conditions, but others may not. The creeks were dry too, which made it much less stressful since there was little chance to lose a disc, in the spring this must be a killer course.

I also played with my friend as a guide and by his advice got there at 8 to miss the crowds. So I had a great day, but as we were coming off the local guys were just starting so I could see where some of the other ppls comments were coming from.

Fun in the Sun

1    6/29/2009   7/1/2009
Review By: The Ghostman
Pros: This course provides challenge because you will be utilizing every shot in your bag.

practice hole
Lots of shade
Pro shop (water, discs, bathrooms)
garbage cans on course
course was very clean

Cons: Didn't see many

Some holes are difficult to see from the tee area and we needed to go up and spot it first. This really isn't a con It just wasn't a plus for us as first timers
Other Thoughts: I shot a +15 for my first time out and wasn't totally disappointed. I am not a true beginner and I really putted poorly. I would figure many other good intermediate golfers would play this course regularly and score single digits

Locals hate everyone

5+    6/14/2009   6/19/2009
Review By: Chris_L_PDGA
Pros: The course is an excellent one. every hole presents a new challenge with various typed of hazards. A wonderful course to play if you can manage being up at 7 am.
Cons: Every day at 10 am they have doubles. It normally wouldnt be a problem but the people who play here literall act like no one else should be on the course. This is true after 10 all day. Every time I have played, I have been held up by a group that I see very often (every time im out at this course) and has no common courtesy. Expect to be stuck behind groups of six without an offer to play through even as a single. Expect very rude commentary from the locals.
Other Thoughts: I would honestly play this course every day if it werent for the arrogant people that play here. I have played most of Northern Califonia and never seen a course that had such a rude attitude from the people that play here regularly. They will provide no pleasantness and I can promise you that. This is the closest course to home for me but ZI would much rather make the drive to Rocklin to play a semi-pleasant course.

2-4    5/9/2009   5/22/2009
Review By: fuzthepoet
Pros: Very senic. Muti pins per hole for verity. Some really wicked water hazards. Disc golf shop on sight
Cons: very crowded on weekends. Small parking area. Poison oak at times
Other Thoughts: go early on a sunday morning, the course is very empty at around 7:30am in the summer before it get to hot.

2nd Best course in Cal!!!

5+    12/20/2008   5/21/2009
Review By: Big Bob
Pros: Hands down the best course in the central valley, You have to travel to Santa Cruz to find better!
Pro shop on the course!!
Chit load of inventory!!!
Great staff!
Course has water hazards during wet season.....
Elevation changes annd a lot of tunnel shots.
Cons: The fact that I moved and won't have to contribute to the Oates reteriment fund!
Other Thoughts: Home of the Christmas classic in the central valley series.
Home of Master Champion Jim Oates
Tall guy dark hair throws like a 20 under.....donate your money!!!

Best in Sacramento

2-4    4/18/2009   4/19/2009
Review By: RedSoxRob
Pros: Produces very challenging shots, and has a lot of changes in elevation. Plenty of good players to play with. Great pro shop.
Cons: Many of the baskets and fairways are hidden, making it difficult to track a disc after tee or approach. Two sections of the course are pretty much in a swamp in the early summer. Tons of mosquitoes.
Other Thoughts: Best course in Sacramento by far. A little bit of a trek for some, but worth it.