Sacramento (Orangevale), CA
Shady Oaks Park Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #12 (Taken 1/2015)

1    5/25/2013   5/29/2013
Review By: krife
Pros: Great variety of terrain, elevation, baskets, long and short holes. Although there are no big arm-wrenching par 4's or 5's, there are a few that really tested my arm. Technical holes aplenty. The creek clearly adds a whole new dimension of difficulty when it is running.
Cons: As many others have said, this place is crowded. I spent at least 5 minutes waiting on most of the tees, and my round lasted 2 1/2 hours. I would also like to see some alternate tee pads, but with as many as 4 basket locations I doubt regulars get bored often. Poison oak on a couple of holes on the back 9.
Other Thoughts: I played this course while visiting Sacramento for a wedding from Seattle. My cousin and I certainly felt some animosity from the locals (especially in the pro shop) which was likely due to the fact I was rocking my Seahawks hat, lol. However, we ended up playing with two other twosomes who were very friendly and great course guides, pointing out holes where you need a spotter on your tee shots #3 comes to mind). Big thanks to Taz and Chili for showing us around, sharing the kind, and most of all pointing out the poison oak (which I was seconds away from trampling into)! Shady Oaks is one of the coolest courses I've played.

A personal Favorite

5+    8/15/2012   5/20/2013
Review By: toomanymoose
Pros: This was the course I learned to play on. After playing several other course I still put this at the top of my list.
The course offers a variety of challenges from wooded areas to a few wide open holes.
During the summer the fairways tend to be really dry so big skips and rollers are common. That could fall in the cons depending on your playing style.
The only course I have been to with a pro shop located on site.
They also have multiple pin placements which they change fairly frequently so your always getting a new challenge
Cons: The course is very popular so get there early to avoid crowds.
They are some who come who dont respect the rules, environment, etiquette, etc, and odds are on a busy day you will run into them.
When the water is running(or standing) there are a few places you may find yourself in a deep dirty water hazard and discs can be hard to find.
Other Thoughts: Still one of my favorite places to play. They have been cracking down more and more over the years on drinking/smoking, so if you chose to do so, try to avoid the areas where houses and other park patrons are around. There is no need to carry a 30 pack with you and be smoking next to a family having a day out at the park. I have seen this happen many times and that is a big reason why they are getting upset. Compared to other courses i would say this is the least lax course in that sense, that's why i at least wanted to say a few words about it.
Overall, if your looking for a challenging course that is fun to play, I recommend checking it out

Great course, sometimes hard to play

1    1/27/2013   1/28/2013
Review By: fhwks
Pros: This course is one of the better 18 hole courses I have played in Cali so far.

Great variety on holes, some are long and open, others are short and require quite technical shots.

Great shade to protect you from the sun.

Pro shop with good disc selection.
Cons: People people people. Let me elaborate because this is the biggest Con with this course.

1) Pro shop staff. Pretty rude when asking about the course and play. I just asked the question, "It's busy out today, are there any holes that you would recommend me starting on since I'm a solo player?". I thought this was a decent question because at most courses I've been to, you can start at 2-3 different holes near the parking lot to avoid a large crowd at hole one and I am a very quick player. His response was, "If you don't want to get in a fight, start at hole 1".

2) Locals. After following the "advice" of the shop owner, went to hole one where a group of 8 locals wanted to cut in front of me to start and made a big deal about me playing. C'mon guys, 1 player vs 8? I'm not going to slow you down. Also, people take bag tags too seriously around here. They are just numbers, and this is just a game, no reason to be rude to non-locals or get so serious about something so trivial to the point of wanting to fight someone.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses in the area, I have had a great experience there and a bad experience there, based on the crowd/people who show up.

Technical Course

1    1/26/2013   1/28/2013
Review By: JonCatch
Pros: Great layout. Numerous Trees to keep you guessing. Very removed from urban environment.
Cons: A small creek runs right down the middle of many holes and you might be fishing.
Other Thoughts: Lots of right bends, so make sure you bring your anhyzer game.

I spend way too much time here.

5+    1/5/2013   1/6/2013
Review By: FatLarry
Pros: I am lucky enough to play here almost everyday. The multiple pin placements and frequency of change keeps it fresh. A mix of long and short, right and left keeps the round fun mixing shots. The creeks and trees changing throughout the year is also a game changer. Having a pro shop may be a downside for my wallet. The locals are a good group, my game has improved greatly since I started playing the Get Bent Daily random draw doubles.
Cons: Lately parking has been hard. I am amazed at how seriously folks take bag tags, it's a key chain with a number on it for christ sakes. A thousand people play here everyday, I'd like to see more help with the course maintenance.
Other Thoughts: OV for life! Get Bent.

Fun Challenging Tournament Class 18

5+    12/7/2012   12/7/2012
Review By: Hazer
This review was updated on 1/18/2013
Pros: Moderate elevation change throughout course. Concrete tees and multiple pin locations on every hole. Quality signs on every hole showing hole layout and pin locations with distances and a washer showing the current pin location. Garbage cans at every hole. Great pro shop on site with a great selection of discs and gear, as well as drinks and snacks. Water in play on many holes. Challenging technical shots with many obstacles to shoot around. Good variety of hole layouts not favoring any single throwing style and requiring a lot of shot shaping. Well maintained course with a great group of regulars. Several tournaments hosted annually. Good scenery throughout the course.
Cons: Only one tee on all holes except for hole 12 where there are 2. Some holes are pretty open and depending on the pin placement can be fairly easy. This is an extremely popular course (and for good reason) so it is often busy, especially in the afternoons, which means you will often have to wait. Several holes are pretty flat.
Other Thoughts: This is the best course in the Sacramento area and one of my personal favorites. The course isn't extremely challenging but is still a lot of fun to play even if you're a professional. Holes 4-8 are the most memorable for me as they play through a wooded area with a winding creek running through. I would recommend arriving early if possible. I have very rarely run into a big crowd before 11AM but if you arrive after noon on a nice day you will most likely be waiting for a bit at a few holes. No alcohol is allowed on the course, and this rule has been enforced a lot by undercover cops this summer at this course. Also refrain from using herbs around hole 5 as the neighbors have been known to take pictures of disc golfers breaking park rules. I have heard that these neighbors have even made attempts to shut the course down, so please be on your best behavior on hole 5. Update (01/17/2013): Police still enforcing no alcohol policy on course; several people were cited around holes 4 & 5 by a plain clothed police officer.

A Fun Chucker's Paradise

5+    11/13/2012   11/13/2012
Review By: rmcguire86
Pros: - Pretty good layout, only a few fairways overlap

- Best Pro Shop I've ever been to on site. I cant imagine theres a disc they don't sell.

-Some really memorable holes. Love 4-8, which run along a creek bed and require pretty precise drives. Back 9 is pretty good. Two big ole bomber holes that I can remember.

- Course upkeep is nice. All the lines are well worn in, and trash is surprisingly sparse, given the number of people that go through on a weekly basis
Cons: - Crowded as hell, and not always a good crowd either. Even at 7am there are waits on some holes. This wouldn't be too bad if a lot of the crowd wasn't kind of douchey. Almost pointless to go on a weekend or holiday.

- Rough going when wet. Day or two after a big rain will leave the course super slick and muddy. The large number of golfers that come through really tear up some areas (hole 3 specifically).
Other Thoughts: I'm from socal, but my wife is from El Dorado Hills, so I get up to play this one 5 or 6 times a year. I really like the layout but the course is practically unplayable on weekends or afternoons due to the long waits. One of the best courses in the area though, and if you can get a weekday off I'd recommend checking it out.

Shady is right

5+    7/17/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: Blazer530
Pros: Fun course right off of Hazel, making it super easy to find. There are a fun variety of shots, and creeks that run through lots of the property making shots on some holes more risky. There are tons of squirls running around the course. There are nice concrete teepads throughout the course with extended folow through areas. The baskets are all prety nice. There's a great pro shop on site if you need to pick up some new discs.
Cons: This is one of the most crowded courses that I've ever played. There is allmost allways a wait on every hole, and lots of groups won't let you play through even if you are playing way faster. The last time I was out on the course there was a cop hanging out in plain clothes giving people tickets for drinking and smoking.

Thank the shade of the oaks!

1    7/27/2012   7/28/2012
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 8/3/2012
Pros: A very challenging course that has a creek that runs through much of the layout (creating more challenge and thoughtful shot selection). A little elevation is thrown into the mix on a dusty track (in summer) and replace this dust with a mix of grass & tall grass in the winter. The multiple pin placements were pointed out by the locals and had me drooling for more.

Though it was a busy day and I reached a log jam on hole #5 (see cons), the group ahead of me offered to let me play with them which added much enjoyment to my round. It always having good company (and course guides!).

Fantastic amenities - Pro shop, Around the world putting course, 2 other practice baskets, and restrooms!

Cons: A very popular course - so be patient and expect to wait a bit at the tee pads. Though other reviewers claim that people won't let you play through, I did not have this issue. Hole #5 is a typical spot for a log jam - due to the difficulty level of 5 & 6, and intersecting fairways. Beyond that, the waits were not bad.

The creekbed was dry when I played, but I was told that when wet, it is very swampy and easy to lose a disc in the deep water. I don't like losing discs (does anyone?), but some of the fairways are just waiting to gobble your discs - even with a seemingly decent drive.
Other Thoughts: Get good on this course in the summer, and then you will have the confidence to challenge that creek in the winter. I'm telling you, my shots would have changed to a far more conservative game if that creek had been running. At the same time, I look at that as a positive - I like to have holes that require some finesse instead of just blasting every shot.

Holes 13-18 seemed very quiet compared with the rest of the course - I played this convenient loop a couple of times late in the day, instead of playing the crowded front 9.

A park called home

5+    6/23/2012   6/23/2012
Review By: swampdisk
Pros: -pro shop
-bathrooms
-3 practice baskets
-almost all holes in the shade
Cons: The only con i have is there is a cop that wonders around and writes tickets to everyone with a beer or dog off the leash....to make things better he parks in the parking lot and gives away tickets to people with bad registration
Other Thoughts: This is a great course for anyone to play cause it is very challenging with alot of O.B. and trees. I recommend it to anyone that passes through the area with disks....probably the best course in Sacramento.