Sacramento (Orangevale), CA
Shady Oaks Park Share
Uploaded By: humchris85 Hole #1
Hole #1 Tee: Long throw up onto a plateau / 3' Retaining wall just after dead tree

No good

5+    12/14/2011   12/26/2011
Review By: SweetZombieJesus
Pros: Well maintained course, lots of trash cans and benches.
Cons: Way too busy and lots of up-tight players. Staff at the pro shop was ridiculously rude to me.
Other Thoughts: I was accused of stealing a disc that I brought with me half way across the US by the pro shop manager. I will never come back here.

Go have fun at a course that doesn't require you to wait 10 minutes at each hole before you can toss.

Stoked on Shady Oaks

1    12/13/2011   12/14/2011
Review By: elton807
This review was updated on 7/12/2012
Pros: Very prominent DG community & culture. Superclean, well laid-out, superb teepads and signage, excellent baskets. High number of trees; played in fall, so leaves everywhere, but very aesthetically pleasing. Excellent flow to the layout, especially for the large crowds playing. Not too long, not too short. Amazing DG pro shop on site; easily found a rare disc I've been looking for. Benches at each teepad. Just a perfectly maintained DGC that has obviously been around for a while, and gets tons of traffic. Beautifully "broken-in".
Cons: Right up there with Golden Gate, Condon, & Sunset for busiest DGC I've played. Not too hilly.
Other Thoughts: This course compares with De La Raza in San Jose. Joined up with a couple college kids on 5th hole, and overall had a really great 1st time out.
==================
Uniqueness: A (a truly nice course; aged like a fine wine)
Difficulty: A- (tons of trees; more elevation would be better)
Fun Factor: A (great hole designs; tons of shot variety & drive options)
Aesthetics: A (gracefully aged for a 30 yr old course; litter free!)
--------------------
Overall: A

Awesome... If you don't mind some things...

1    8/19/2011   8/20/2011
Review By: tgashby
Pros: Long, beautiful holes
Great variety
18 entirely different holes
Pro shop right there
Cons: Not for beginners, almost lost a few discs
Not very well laid out
Crowded all day
Many course users are drug users, but nice enough...
Other Thoughts: I went by myself, not knowing what to expect. I managed to join a small group that knew the course, the only issue was that every 2 or 3 holes they would smoke, and not cigarettes... I would normally say this was a fluke, but I noticed the same behavior with several other groups on the course.

A Fun Course

1    7/23/2011   7/31/2011
Review By: austoroc
Pros: This course has plenty of fun factor for me. It gave me enough challenges where I had to try strategize a bit about my shot selections without being too frustrated like I might have at other tougher courses.

I played this course with my dad who doesn't play that often, so the course was still enjoyable for him. The course doesn't play overly too long for many of the players like my dad.

There are definitely some ace opportunities here. I have come close to getting one on couple of holes, and that definitely drives up the fun factor for me.

There's a pro shop on location, and who wouldn't like that?
Cons: The baskets are hard to see from the tees, so it was difficult for me to ascertain which pin placement is being used.

There are few people that did not have proper etiquette when it comes to playing. There were a large group of 7 players that refused to let us play through for 6 holes before a local joined my group. I don't know if this is prevalent for this course or not, but it made for a big first impression.
Other Thoughts: I'd come back to this course if I'm passing through Sacramento. It's perfect for a casual round of disc golf with friends or even with one of the locals.

I just certainly hope that they don't put gums on my car again! What, the locals don't like out-of-staters come play at the course?

Great experience!

2-4    6/25/2011   7/7/2011
Review By: elmarduk
Pros: Solid concrete tee pads, holes well marked and easy to understand, varied shot opportunities, course was clean and seemed well kept, multiple pin placements indicated by washers on t-pad markers. I enjoyed playing under the shade of the trees. There is a creek running through the course, which adds to the challenge of shooting under par. We arrived at 8:00am on a Saturday and had no course traffic problems even with 20+ cars in the parking lot. This was our first time playing this course and everyone we spoke to were extremely friendly and helpful. Didn't see or run into any of the "shady folks" others have mentioned here in the review. Most of the players we met were experienced players, which was motivating for us. Note that we started at 8:00am. We played 2 rounds and by 10:45am there were about 7-10 people waiting at Tee #1 and the parking lot was almost full.
It was huge plus to have a pro shop there as well with a pretty extensive varied selection of discs/weights and disc manufacturers. I can see why this is a favorite course for many. Would love to play this course again.
Cons: The only downside besides the potential overcrowding is the terrain being mostly dirt. The weather was awesome for us, but mud would be a problem after any rain.
Other Thoughts: Need another 18+ course in area.

Excellent and technical course

5+    5/18/2011   5/20/2011
Review By: dantheman0721
This review was updated on 5/26/2011
Pros: -18 holes with many diffirent pin locations
-Lots of different types of holes, this course will teach you how to do it all
-Nice wooded setting, nice mix of trees and a stream runnning through
-Great pro shop on site

Cons: - Usually very busy
-Lots of "Riff Raff" - high schoolers throwing tomahawks 50 feet into a tree, 38 year old guys with no shirt and a pony tail(really dude? really?), etc...
- Hole 5 has a pin location that is 500 something feet deep, secluded by trees. I don't mind that it's still a par 3, but it really slows the flow of the course.
Other Thoughts: Absolutely love this course when theres not a 20 minute wait to tee off at hole 1. Great diversity of holes and many pin locations make no round ever the same. Decent amount of locals that are good and friendly. The only problem I have are the low-life people with 1 disc and a 6 pack and don't let people play through. They had a security guard hanging out the past 3 months or so, but haven't seem him the past couple weeks.

5+    3/21/2010   3/10/2011
Review By: humchris85
Pros: - Lot's of variety, heavily wooded to wide open, left's, right's, and straight ahead holes.
- Creek flows past many of the holes, sometimes crossing the fairways multiple times in a single hole
- Huge amount of risk / reward shots
- Distances range from short and sweet to long and wooded
- Nice concrete teepads
- Good signage
- Great pro shop onsite with excelent selection including many rare discs that they get printed for tournys
- There is only a little elevation change on the course, but it definatly helps add to the experence
- Easy to find, right off of Hazel.
- Trash Cans around
- Benches on most holes sometimes 2
- Practice baskets next to the pro shop
- Easy to navigate
- Great use of land given
Cons:
- Usualy crowded during peak hours, sometimes with large groups, some of which won't let smaller groups play through
- Creek is often brown and deep neer the basket and can be hard to find a disc in
- Road noise on the holes neer the back of the course
- A couple of holes are blind
- Can get muddy in the winter and dusty in the summer
Other Thoughts: Shady Oaks is a wonderfuly varied course in the Sacramento area. I would definatly say that it is the best course in the Sac area by what I've played The biggest problem that I think this course has is that it is busy, but the only way to help with this would be to put in more good courses in the area. The pro shop thats on location is the best spot in Sac to buy discs. Thier selection is top notch, with many discs that you usualy can't buy in retail (Cryztal Challenger's, Champion Archangels etc...). They also have bags, straps, clothing, food, drinks, and all kinds of other stuff.

For the St. Patty's tourny they also put in some extra holes along the backside of the course. These holes are mostly short and overgrown, with lots of poison oak. They also have natural teepads. I would probably rate this course a little lower if these holes were part of the perminant course in thier current condition, but as they are only used for the tourny I won't hold them against the course.

5+    11/14/2010   12/2/2010
Review By: Speedly
Pros: - Excellent layout
- Requires a multitude of shots
- No ridiculously long holes or stupidly difficult pins, save for the longest placement on hole 5
- Variety in pin locations, selections, hole designs, etc.
- Practice baskets in a devoted area
- Despite other reviews, actually does have grass in the winter/spring months
Cons: - Can get dusty
- Gotta get there before 10 AM, because the doubles think they own the place
- Sometimes is the place of disc golfers that choose to partake in objectionable actions or substances
- Customer service in the pro shop is absolutely horrible
Other Thoughts: This is where I learned to play. While I wouldn't recommend it for all other beginners, it definitely did serve to make me climb the learning curve much, much faster than a completely wide-open course (such as Elk Grove DGC).

The customer service in the shop is terrible. Jim Oates seems to think he's God's great gift to disc golf, and has had the attitude to support that notion each time I've spoken with him. A few of the other workers in the shop sport the same attitude, which is why I'll happily go play the course, but won't give Jim or his employees another cent.

In short: great course, terrible administration.

Memories of MN, Balboa Park

1    10/31/2010   11/1/2010
Review By: chonb
Pros: While this course doesn't have the 1000+ holes that other top rated places seem to [DLV, North Tahoe, etc etc], this course has charm and difficulty to boot. It reminds me of Kaposia, Blue Ribbon Pines, or other Minnesota courses that don't have extreme distance or elevation changes but make up for it with phenomenal layout, and a priority on a skill set to navigate the tight, technical shots required for birdies.

You meander along a creek during the front 9, you get challenged by the eponymous shady old growth Oaks on the back 9, so the entire round is extremely enjoyable.

A pro shop? And you don't have to pay?? I haven't seen a pro shop since balboa park in san diego.

Cons: Folks say it gets busy, but I've got to say I've never been treated better - 3 groups let me and my partner play through on a relatively busy Sunday morning. Nothing compared to what I've seen at Balboa in SD though, where you better bring a mini-keg & a radio.
Other Thoughts: Honestly, part of what made the experience so great were the friendly and helpful locals.

This is definitely the kind of course you could come back to many times.

SacTown's Most Popular

5+    9/19/2010   9/23/2010
Review By: EG ChainRacker
Pros: -all the local pros play here (Oates, Billings, Anthon, etc.)
-2 practice baskets
-biggest pro shop in norcal on site (THEY GOT EVERYTHING THERE)
-everyone plays here
-short and technical
-multiple pin locations
-daily doubles every day
Cons: -not alot but it does get crowded sometimes and alot of people do lose discs here alot but i have yet to lose a disc here
Other Thoughts: don't come and play here unless your ready because this course is not begginer freindly