Seneca, SC
Shaver Recreation Center Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #11 (Taken 12/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3
A muddy, harlot of a course.

1    5/18/2014   5/22/2014
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Ah, Shaver. Like a French harlot who's lived a hard life, and smoked two packs a day, time has not been kind. Throw in the fact the course is being overrun by a mud run obstacle course, and this course looks and feels much older than its years.
- Writing a prose would be more appropriate than listing the pros for this course. Needless to say, there were some good things about this course if you look hard enough.
- There is a fair level of challenge to this course. Course has two longer holes (#3 at 555 and #5 at 400) that require a couple of well-crafted shots. Other holes offer their own challenges from elevation changes (#11 is a great downhiller), tight fairways (really enjoyed #14), doglegs and the occasional mud run obstacle to counter (watch out for the climbing wall on #3).
- On many holes, this course forces you to throw good shots. Bad shots, missed fairways and/or bad angles will lead to you scrambling for par or worse throughout your round.
- Add to that, there is a strong risk/reward factor. You'll have to throw well, and be aggressive on a good many holes to see chances for deuces. Failing to hit those shots will lead to the aforementioned scrambles to salvage par or settle for bogeys.
- For the most part, the course does get better throughout. The back nine was much better than the front, with more exciting holes, great layouts and a general overall quality. I thought holes #10, 11, 14 & 17 all stood out for their superior quality. Have about 10 more holes as good as those, and this could be a great course.
Cons: It's very fitting that Shaver hosts mud run events. That's essentially what this entire course is. On a dry day, this course is predominately dirt. On a bad day, it's mud. Don't expect to see grass here, there is none other than the small patch on #12.
- The biggest problem at this course is the overall quality of the land itself, from erosion problems to the dirt and mud feel. I've played other courses that have erosion problems - Reedy Creek in Charlotte, Johnson Street in High Point come to mind as prime examples. The big difference is that those courses are around 25 years old (built in '89 & '91 respectively), while Shaver is listed as being built in 2004. That could be the year the course was redesigned or something else that I'm not aware of. Add in to that to mud run course that weaves throughout the disc golf course, and it seems this problem may only be getting worse. In an ideal situation, the baskets would be pulled for one to two years, grass and shrubs plant to sustain the land, and the quality and makeup of the design would be greatly improved. Good luck convincing people to make that happen though.
- Course has a bad flow to it. The front and back 9 cross over multiple times. Add to that other awkward transitions, notably trying to find hole #10 and other spots where the closest tee is not the next hole (for example, after finishing #7, you're closer to the tee for #17; after finishing #10, you're closer to #14). Point being, if you're not careful, it could be easy to skip or miss holes. Whereas you can't fix land maintenance problems easily, you can add/improve signage by adding more arrows and signs.
- Some holes are really crammed together. If this course were crowded, on certain stretches of the course, you would have to keep an eye out for errant shots on other holes. In my round, I had a disc land on a different hole twice due to a bounce off a tree. Multiply that by a bunch of hackers, and it could make things interesting.
- The dogtrack feel to the course adds an unnatural luck factor, both good and bad. On the good side, discs can skim along the dirt, adding extra distance to shots. It gives it a ball golf feel, having your shot rolling towards the target on the green. On the bad side, due to the erosion and no undergrowth, discs can easily start rolling down a hill, turning a great tee shot that's in birdie range, into a difficult up and down.
- With this being a dirt track, it only takes a little rain to turn this into a mud.
- Final, it's a major disappointment seeing this course being overtaken by a mud run obstacle course. I guess the mud runs are the new flavor of the month. I hope when that fad passes, this course can turn into something better.
Other Thoughts: Shaver just feels like a major disappointment, and I don't think it has much to do with any local disc golf support. It really feels like this course has become an afterthought at the park, and I don't know how much support from locals can change things.
- On the walk from #9 to #10 (once I found #10), I did see a basket in the grass by the ball fields. Why not use some of that grassy space to build a couple of holes to alleviate the crowded feel and to distance yourself from the mud course? The course could use some more visually appealing holes, if not just a simple does of variety.
- I was a bit perplexed by this. Near the first hole is a sign that says to not trash the park. To the immediate left of this sign is a humongous mud/dirt field used for the obstacle course. Add to that all the other problems, and I wonder how you can trash something that's already been ruined.
- My other rumination while playing is as follows. If mud runners are trying to be the tough/hardcore types, pushing themselves on artificial courses (don't we all need to know how to climb an inclined wall pulling on a rope?); shouldn't they also learn how to avoid being hit by a disc? What's more practical, climbing a rope course or learning how to dodge a flying object, especially if you're on a disc golf course? We're only adding to the challenge.
- This course just needs some love and attention, a proverbial big hug, so to speak. If the course won't get its proper attention, maybe these baskets could be better served, and a new course built, at some other local park.
- I could see Shaver, at it's optimum, being a really solid course. It has potential. In its current state, it's been reduced to something so much less. I'm giving the course a 2.5, and I'm not sure if that's a little too high or a little too low. Still, it reminds me a lot of Boyd Hill in Rock Hill, which I also gave a 2.5 rating, so it seems appropriate for here as well.

Need a little TLC

5+    6/9/2013   6/15/2013
Review By: InnovaSpyder421
Pros: Technical, well designed, excluded from the rest of the park with a 9 Hole course set up around the ball fields, and variety.
Cons: Not kept up well at all. This course could be the best course around if they would actually take care of it.

I love Shaver

1    6/2/2013   6/6/2013
Review By: TOURNEYPLAYER
Pros: I love this course. this was the first course I ever played a tournament on. And it kicked my butt. I actually took a small break from the course because I got whooped so bad. But then I realized that it was me who caused the problem. This course is not a course to throw your driver as hard as you can and hope for a good result. you need control, and accuracy. Once I learned that a Comet would serve me much better than a Boss, I succeeded. and fell in love with the course.

Here is a brief outline

The front nine is definitely the killer part of this course if you cant throw straight.

Holes 3,4,5 are all long,tight holes with thick rough on the sides. I actually had a putt for a 3 on hole three which for me is insane! once you get through that gauntlet it eases up a bit.

The back nine is very different from the front.

There are two blind holes, I reccomend spotters for them. (11,12) and a nice down then up shot that seems like its much further than it is.(14)

The reason I like this course so much is that it challenges your mind. you cant just throw your disc as hard as you can and hope to get lucky. That does not work here. you need control and patience and a good mental toughness.

There are multiple pin positions for many of the holes, this makes it interesting in tournaments. they usually change the pins between rounds.
Cons: The only negative is the mud/dirt/rocks that make up the fairways on the first 5 holes. Not much that can be done about this, and its not that big of a deal. but it will chew up some discs over time.
Other Thoughts: there is an alternate 9 holes you can play that are much more open. it plays around the fields. I havent played it yet but I probably will next time I am up there.

Give this course a try. bring some mid ranges, and dont forget that 2 shots in the fairway is always better than 3 in the schule.

Great if you love woods

5+    9/18/2012   10/18/2012
Review By: DiscGolfMaster
Pros: Nice baskets, some fun fairways.
Cons: All woods, no open holes at all. makes for a boring course for me. Nice to be able to launch a couple of drives per course, no chance on this one. I can only think of one hole that is long enough for that, but you still have to throw a mid unless you want it to skip 20ft into the woods.

Which brings me to another point. The fairways are terrible. Nothing but rocks, hard clay roots and small old tree stumps, its awful. You never know what your disc will do, it will either skip 20+ft or hit a root/stump.

There is plenty of sun for grass on most holes, its just not a course that is very well kept. At least have mulch or something that looks nicer and plays better.

Played lots of courses in the SC area and never seen one so ugly and barren. Except maybe a freshly made course.

If it just looked better and my discs did better when they landed, then it might more fun to be there and play there. But until then, I will rarely go.

5+    11/22/2011   2/23/2012
Review By: tiger5
Pros: I think this is a good wooded course, most of the front 9 is fairly open with trees lining the fairways. You've got a couple tucked pins and overall the course has good length on most of the holes. You've got several elevation changes that will test your ability to shape shots. There are a fair amount of trees but it's pretty open considering it's in the woods. Nice tee pads and decent signage. I would say the back 9 is more technical that the front 9 but overall very enjoyable course.
Cons: A lot of the front 9 is red clay type dirt, so it makes for a tough time when the weather is bad. You've got to have a lot of control and be able to putt if you want to make birdies (not a draw back by any means).
Other Thoughts: I've taken a number of people to play this as their first disc golf course and they've all seemed to enjoy it. You've got a creek that comes into play on the back 9, it's a blind shot to the hole so if it's your first time playing you might want to checkout the pin location first.

Classic Carolina woods

1    8/27/2011   8/27/2011
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: 18 holes in a course secluded from the ball fields and other parts of the park. Huge concrete tee pads with plenty of room for everyone.

Well defined fairways cut throughout the woods. Not one hole that had a WTF fairway or an unfairway. But that doesn't mean they are all easy either.

Looks like they have multiple basket positions available and move some of the baskets around.

Good use of elevation where available. There are no huge hills here, but the ups and downs are well used when it presents itself.
Cons: Signs could use a little updating. They don't always coincide with the current course layout. I had to walk a few fairways to spot baskets for blind shots.

No open holes for big distance throwers. This is a technical, wooded course.

Some of the baskets and pads are fairly close to each other. For the first timer it can be a little confusing. I can see where it could get a little crowded or tight feeling if there were a lot of people playing.
Other Thoughts: This is what I would consider a classic wooded course in the Carolinas. This course forces you to throw left, right and straight while keeping your disc on the fairway. Most of the course has a very reasonable amount of 'rough', but a few holes have just tons of small tightly packed pines and other trees that are almost impossible to safely play out of. If you can throw a putter and mid accurately down the fairway, you can play well here. If you just want to fire away with your drivers, your round may go badly.

While #1 makes this course seem like it's going to be a beginner course with its 165' distance and no obstacles, the course quickly shows you what it is all about. #2 played at just 295', but the tightly packed woods on each side make you throw clean or pay dearly. #5 has a nice basket position that can make putts and approaches an adventure. #11 was my personal favorite. It is a downhill anny (RHBH) that goes over a creek and has several trees that keep you honest. Fun little shot. Overall, I thought the back nine here was a little more fun than the front, but the whole course is solid. There is not only ace runs available in a few spots, but plenty of challenges also. This would make a nice home course for almost anyone. It's also a great looking place to work on your putter and mid-range shots in the woods.

this course humbled me

1    8/20/2011   8/20/2011
Review By: midrangemachine
Pros: Course was very well setup,very good variety of holes for bh and fh alike.some holes require you to be very creative with your lines. Many with great risk/reward factor.
Cons: A few of the fairways were a little overgrown. Also some benches were broken.
Other Thoughts: Over all a great course but very humbling I considered myself atleast an intermediate player until that course ate me alive and spit me back out. It def made me realize I need to work on my finesse shots.

Deep woods tree love/hate

1    7/3/2011   7/5/2011
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Great amenities, large concrete pads, good signs, quality baskets with clear numbering (good since you see so many at once).
Decent fairways around, many line shaping requirements, this is not a course you want to play if you cannot make a disc turn.
A good challenge that does not seem like it would get boring.
Benches on almost every tee.
More than one pin on a lot of holes.
Cons: Brutal off-line punishment on much of the front nine. If you are in the brush you are pitching out.
Very skippy ground on those brutally punishing holes.
Extra pin positions not listed here or on the map so sometimes the basket was in an unexpected position.
Other Thoughts: I want to say right off that this course absolutely handled me in a not very good way. That doesn't change my feeling about the course, it was very good but it is not very forgiving. If you are rather new you are better off heading to Sertoma field in Walhalla, this will make you feel much better.

I generally don't have a problem keeping it on the fairway but just about every shot on 2-6 ended up in the thick junk off the perfectly clear fairways. I am sure the 100 degree weather didn't help a bit but this course just seemed to beat me relentlessly. I couldn't help but feel that those long twisty holes should've been split up a bit to minimize the fatigue but it probably isn't possible.

I enjoyed the back 9 a lot more than the front 9. The real woods shots are great, good lines, lots of trees but lots of fair gaps and little to no punishing underbrush.

I don't suggest that anything change with this course, it is a great course and it is my fault I didn't do better. It is not a noob course and its barely a rec course...you can play it but expect an ace whooping.

I do feel a set of short tees for the long twisty bits might help but isn't necessary.

This is a sweet course and we hope to come back in the fall when it is cooler and we can enjoy it without the pain and suffering of the flaming ball of death in the sky.

The people of SC have it good, they have courses reminiscent of the IDGC and a great variety of course types to play. Apparently there is also an open course on the land too but that was not going to happen when we played...way too hot.

1    4/17/2011   4/17/2011
Review By: BennettUA
This review was updated on 4/24/2011
Pros: Excellent wooded course! If you're used to disc golf in the Carolinas, you know your way around the trees, and Shaver is a great course for hitting all the lines you'll need to have if you play around here often.
The holes are fair -- while all are in the woods, they all offer a clear path to take with a fairway and landing zones. No holes with a nice fairway line but "that one tree right in the middle", which I appreciate.
Some daring gaps are available, but miss them and you're punished with a tough out from the woods. Great risk vs reward.
There's never a question as to where the lines are designed to be played for the course. The fairways are never rail thin, but also never extremely wide, usually about 15-30 feet-ish.
Great variety of left, right, up, down -- you WILL shape a variety of lines!
Navigation is a breeze so long as you walk down the path from 9 to 10. Never guessing where you need to go next is a BIG plus from me.
Discatcher baskets ,well-labeled and easy to see.
Concrete tee pads, nice benches(with ball golf detail), excellent tee signs showing how the hole is shaped -- very helpeful as many pins aren't visible from standing on the tee -- and "next tee" signs.
Trash cans and recycling right near the parking lot/first hole/ hole 9/ practice basket.
A number of baskets out around the baseball fields are another 6 holes, but we didn't see any tee pads and were preparing for the upcoming tourney, so we stayed away. Looks to be an excellent addition and give you a chance to air out a bit.
No traffic noise, no foot traffic other than other disc golfers, and even then I don't think you would run into paths crossing often.
Close to Clemson University -- lots of great restaurants and co-eds within minutes.
Near Y Beach and Walhalla if you want to loosen the arm up first on a more open layout.
Easy to find, there are signs to the complex and you can see baskets before you get to the entrance.
Cons: It's ALL in the woods. No open shots, nothing starts out of the trees to in them or vice versa. Not a big minus, especially in the heat to be in the shade all day :-) And we didn't play the extra baskets, which we could see were open around the baseball fields, so this is just for the 18.
Other Thoughts: I really loved throwing at Shaver today and look forward to playing in the Seneca Spring Open. You will learn to play GOLF -- not just going for it every time, but having to play smart, laying up, hitting landing zones, and developing skills that require careful thought instead of out-and-out brute plastic chucking.
Once I know what the extra baskets are for and how they play I will update my review, but this course is excellent practice for Carolina disc golf -- Play with the trees and you'll love this course!

Woodsy Feel

1    12/19/2010   12/20/2010
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: Beautiful deep woods course. Lots of alleys cut through the trees puts a premium on shot placement. I love that there are par 4's & even a Par 5 on this course. Large benches, large concrete tee pads & fully descriptive tee signs on EVERY HOLE! I think this is the first course where I've ever seen that. I dont think this can be overstated enough. This is just what I want at every course! Practice basket & Information Kiosk next to #1 tee pad. Hole #9 & #18 end at the parking lot. This is so convienient if you forget something or you want to play a short round. Easily navigated. It seems like each new tee box is right around the corner from the previous basket. 'Next tee' signs were there also.
Nice Innova DisCatchers at each hole.
Cons: The overall layout is dominated by tight woods shots. It would've been nice to have an open shot or two. The winter leaf cover made losing a disc easy. The design is lacking pizzaz. I can't really put a finger on it. It has all the emenities you could ask for yet...
Other Thoughts: When you finish #9 go back outside the
chain-link fence & turn left. Walk down path & turn left again past fence line to #10 tee box. Ignore the other baskets on the perimieter of the baseball fields. This is not part of the course.
Again: lack of people. Where are all the disc golfers? I played this & the Walhalla course & barely saw a sole all day. I never got the chance to throw with any locals which was unfortunate.

< Prev 1 2 3