Seneca, SC
Shaver Recreation Center Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #4 (Taken 12/2010)

Shaver Recreation Center

1    9/25/2010   10/3/2010
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros: Nice wooded course with lots of elevation changes and a creek running through most of the holes (although it was just about dry when we played). There are defined fairways but you need to execute well planned shots to follow the twists and turns. There are some good birdie ops here.
Cons: Holes 2 through 7. As other reviews indicate, these holes are unlike the rest of the "normal" wooded course. They have fairways about 25 feet wide plowed through incredibly steep brush. If an errant throw gets into that stuff, your only hope is to drop back into the fairway. They all seem to follow the same pattern of a really long gentle LH/RH curve, then an extreme 90 degree dogleg to the basket. Because the fairways are completely uncovered, the ground is dry, rocky, and there are plenty of roots sticking up where bushes were cutoff about 3" off the ground. This surface will tear up your feet and you really need to be careful not to catch a rock/root/stump on your runups. These holes aren't too bad on their own, but six in a row is way too repetitive and had us wondering if we were going to stop playing after the front nine. Fortunately, we were able to determine that the rest of the course was different and we played all 18. There were also lots of yellow jackets everywhere when we played; I am glad only one of them got me.
Other Thoughts: Whew…those long, dry rocky holes were a challenge. Overall a fun course to play.

Fun Course

5+    9/14/2010   9/17/2010
Review By: htorbit
Pros: Fun woods course. Holes 1-8 are bulldozed fairways through thick woods and not so pretty but the beautiful back side makes up for it. This course has some of the best concrete tee pads. Course has all the shots with some elevation changes. The times I have played there hasn't been many other disc golfers so it feels like you have the course to yourself. Some holes have alternate pin positions. Benches on most holes. Trash cans throughout course. Practice basket.
Cons: How thick the shule is 2 feet off the fairway on most of the front nine.
Other Thoughts: This course will make you learn a sidearm if you don't already have one. Very technical. Fun course! Nice park with walking trail, gym and athletic fields.

Shaver Complex

1    8/30/2010   8/31/2010
Review By: Master_Locke
Pros: Easy to follow course. The front nine and the back nine both begin and end next to the parking lot. Some challenging holes. The from nine is a series of 25' wide fairways surrounded by trees on both sides. Most front nine holes require a 100'-150' drive then some twist/turns at the end. The range in elevation on the back nine allows for some difficult trick shots. Overall enjoyable course
Cons: Repetitive on front nine, narrow fairways, all requiring a 150''+ drive before the disc tails off, otherwise your in the woods. Several holes are blind drives (unless you walk 3/4 of the distance down the fairway) you can't see the baskets.
Other Thoughts: Look forward to playing again now that i know where some of the baskets actually are and how severe some of the cut backs are in the fairway.

Course is very tightly packed, and most holes share boundaries; however, they've done well with the space they used. Course seems well kept.

A Nice Course

1    8/23/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: I liked the wooded fairways. That kept it scenic and tested my ability to keep the disc where I wanted it. And since I don't have a cannon for an arm, except for one hole, it was relatively short. I was able land quite a few birds which made it fun.
Cons: Who ever designed this course must have really liked like going 250' then a hard lef/right (sometimes both!). Even though I don't have a big arm I do like to blast it down the fairway and watch it sail, but there wasn't many opportunities to do it.
Other Thoughts: I only found one stupid hole and it was #9. I mean, c'mon, who's disc flies 100' up hill, turns a hard 100 degree turn to the left then hunts the basket? If they cleared this hole out a bit to give another shot at the basic, it'd be ok.

Now, I liked #11, a shortblind shot over a hill that if thown well can give you the nice sound of crashing chains

Great Home Course

5+    6/28/2010   8/9/2010
Review By: mwierda
Pros: Great tight course in mid succession mixed and late succession deciduous woods. Multiple pin placements on 7 holes. Precision needed to score well. Woods are TIGHT ... if you get of the fairway it will cost you. Short and long holes.
Cons: Fairways are dirt often w/ rocks. Very little chance for roller shots.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and I am very happy. Every round is different! Winter vs summer, when the trees leaf out it is an whole new course.

Beautiful Course

1    2/3/2010   2/8/2010
Review By: I3ooI3oo
Pros: This is a beautiful course with both short 165' and long 500'+ holes. There are hole that play uphill and others that play down hill. A good mixture of straight, right, and left holes. The fairways are tight and can lead to a hard second shot. All the pad are concrete and long enough to give anyone a good footing. This are benches at most holes to give you a chance to rest.
Cons: Single pin placement along with single pads per hole make the course something that plays great the first time but over time would lead to boredom due to the lack of change. Also there is a small run off creek that runs beside or through a fairway, you have to cross it multiple times. There is not a bridge, and while I was there the water was almost non-existent during the rainy season I could see this being a problem.
Other Thoughts: Being from Florida I really enjoyed the elevation changes that this course has to offer. I would recommend this course to anyone that enjoys the outdoors as this course shows off what South Carolina has to offer.

Nice Challenge

5+    2/23/2011   10/28/2009
Review By: Sadjo
This review was updated on 3/6/2011
Pros: This course gets better each time you play it. It's a heavily wooded course with nicely defined fairways that will challenge you on most holes to hit 'the line' to the basket.

Great cement tee pads that are bigger than most tee pads I've seen and well designed tee signs. Several benched throughout the course to sit and rest for a while and a nice use of elevation.

Cons: The course is heavily wooded and if you stray off of the fairway, recovery can cost a throw or two on the score card.

Several of the holes have multiple pin placements but the signs don't say which holes (2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, 13) which means you could end up throwing to the wrong location a time or two. A few of the alternate pin placements are on the same line just longer while others might require a different line.
Other Thoughts: Six additional holes have been added to make the course 24 holes but there are no tees marked yet. The park is suppose to me putting an additional 12 holes in to make this two 18 holes courses at one location.

bease

5+    7/15/2009   8/20/2009
Review By: robbiepitzer
Pros: Close to Clemson. Nice benches on most holes. I like the different pin positions. 18th hole is near the first.
Cons: tight woods and fairways. Need more trash cans. No restrooms close
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and I love it!!

1    8/5/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: rcracer757
Pros: A really good hike through the woods while chucking your disc. The lay out was super easy to fallow.

Cons: This is not a course for beginners. Very tight fairways and a few holes are almost identical to one another.
Other Thoughts: I do hope to make it to this course again if I am ever in the area. I am 10 hours away so doubtful.

C = Cool overall, but too many goofy holes

2-4    9/23/2007   5/26/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A
Cons: This course has me scratching my head: Although each of my grading criteria rate above the score I gave the course, this course does not have a good ability to draw me back to itself. I think it has to do with about 1/3 of the holes that are very weirdly shaped. This makes them impossible/stupid to "go for" and very boring to play safely for your par. I think the frustration of that negates a lot of the really good holes and features of the course.