Shenandoah, IA
McComb Park Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #2 (Taken 3/2010)

McComb Park earned the slight head nod of approval

1    7/9/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: srm_520
Pros: The course is located in a nice open park that is used primarily for disc golf. There is a small playground that sits near #8, but golfers get the rest. The nine hole layout is simple and straightforward basically circling and cutting in the park area. #4 as well as #5 currently have to pins to shoot towards, which is a nice little bonus.

The park is well maintained, the grass is thick, and there is a lot of old growth trees giving golfers a nice canopy in the hot Iowa sun. Signage is average but helps for first timers, although noting pins for first-timers can be confusing, so bring a map.

BEST HOLE/S: #4 & #6
Cons: Although the course flows well, first-timers will want to watch for #3 pin location, because #5 alternate pin currently plays in the same vicinity to the right. There is no parking lot, although it's not a big issue since you can basically park on the side of the road anywhere around the park. #1 is located near the park name sign, but I ended up parking in the shade on the opposite and just started on #7.

The tee boxes are natural and can get a bit rutted and muddy after a good rain. Also, and maybe the biggest negative is the fact that course is fairly unremarkable. I personally enjoyed the course, but I can see many serious golfers becoming bored with the simple lines and average length coupled with only minor tree obstacles. Basically, the challenge is low, and meant more for the casual round.

WORST HOLE/S: #8
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course which was a pleasant surprise as I was not expecting much in this small farmland town. The people I encountered were friendly and helpful when I was lost, and the park was quiet, which made for the perfect place to relax and play a casual round. Granted, I don't think I would go out of my way to play here again, but if for some reason I was in the area or this happened to be my home course, I would be more than happy to play another round.

Monkey in the Middle

1    3/26/2010   4/9/2010
Review By: Donovan
Pros: This is a simple 9-hole course with, straight shots, a few trees, and some slight elevation. The layout is simple enough to follow along with. The park was very clean and well maintained. This course does have some decent tee signs and a bathroom. There is parking along the course on one side behind a group home.
Cons: If you get lost here just go to either the outside edge of the park or the (monkey in the) middle where most of the tees are at. That is where the tees are located. The layout can be a bit dull. You can't complain much though, they did get a course put in here and that's great. The tees are dirt and grass and the ruts are stating to wear and become uneven. It could use some more trashcans, but still not a dirty park. There were quite a few people walking through here even though there isn't much here but the course.
Other Thoughts: The Fun Factor just wasn't there for me. I mean, there was maybe 2 holes that I thought were interesting, due to the trees, but that was about it. I can see that this is a great way to introduce family to the game, but it may not be worth a road trip.

Nice little course

2-4    3/14/2010   3/14/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: The course is very well kept as it's in a city park. Although there are trees galore, there is zero underbrush; so losing discs is basically impossible. Of the nice holes 4 are aceable. The course runs in a circle; so playing the 9 holes consecutively makes for a nice, albeit repetitive, round of 18.
Cons: Elevation changes are minimal. Not much variety; although it's not a 'simple' course either.
Other Thoughts: My son and I enjoyed the course enough thought that if it were not becoming dark we would have played 27 the day we were there!