Trees and Walking Trails
Pros: Basket placement is easy to find if you follow the well worn paths through the trees; Very technical course; While sometimes difficult to see, the holes are generally directly in front of the tee pad; Tee pads in good shape; Some of the more difficult tees to see have a hand drawn map on a nearby tree
Cons: Mind the trees, all of them; There is a city walking trail that winds its way through the course, so be aware of where you're throwing; The course winds it's way through many different buildings and parking lots so the map can get a little confusing at times; No need for a distance driver, the holes are fairly short
Other Thoughts: I went on a weekday morning and there was no one else on the course. That coupled with the great summer weather and plenty of shade made for a great morning round...even if I did hit almost every tree in the park.
High on Show Low
1 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: • This disc golf course is set in a beautiful, well-maintained, tree-filled city park with bathroom facilities, water fountains, and ample parking. The course was clean and had trash cans in various places.
• The holes don't favor any particular throwing style and require most of the shots in your bag including forehand, backhand, tomahawk, and thumbers.
• The flow of the course is generally intuitive and there aren't any issues with holes overlapping each other.
• The holes are the proper length considering that they are very technical. However, they are fair and if you hit your line, you can birdie the hole, but if you hit a tree and/or miss your line, you'll be scrambling to achieve par.
• Some of the pin placements are very unique with one being on the top of a fallen log and another in the center of a rock pyramid.
• While there isn't much elevation in the park, hole 7 (uphill) and hole 8 (downhill) incorporate the little bit of elevation into the course.
• Most holes have more than one route to get to the pin and allow one to play to their strength.
• Hole 17 with the double mando about 75 feet from the tee pad with two trees about 12 feet apart that you have to throw through is truly a fun hole with risks and rewards and is a great way to wrap up the course.
• The course has great concrete, rectangular tee pads that are in good shape. The baskets are also in good shape and have no problem catching discs.
Cons: • There aren't more than one or two holes where you can grab your favorite driver and throw it your farthest.
• The holes can be a bit repetitive in the fact that there are trees on every single hole. Not just one or two trees, but several to avoid and navigate though and around.
• Some of the holes require first-timers to walk half way up the fairway to see the basket, but that is the price you pay for having a fun, technical, tree-filled course.
• There were no tee signs with maps, just wooden signs with the distance near the tee pad. However, some of the signs were missing and the distance only applies to one pin placement and not both.
Other Thoughts: Coming from the Phoenix area, playing this course was a real treat. The weather was perfect, the smell of pines intoxicating, and the enjoyment level was nearly off the charts. While it doesn't have the "grip it and rip it" holes, that itch can be scratched at the Pinetop course. I've only played 33 courses in the state of Arizona, but this one ranks as my absolute favorite. I will make plans to play it a few times each summer from now on.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 3 Not
King of the Mountain
Pros: This course starts out in the park in the middle of a neighborhood and after a few holes you might as well be in the middle of the forest its great.
Fun technical shots.
This course i feel has a much better layout than the pinetop course.
Cons: Course will beat up discs
Other Thoughts: If your anywhere around the mountain definitely hit this place up you wont be bummed. I look forward to summer so i can play this course.
0 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.