Sterling, IL
Sinnissippi Park Share

decent, but some design limitations

1    7/22/2013   7/23/2013
Review By: IHearChains
This review was updated on 7/24/2013
Pros: This course has several holes which are long enough to test the big arms, and some holes which are more technical with elevation and woods in play. I liked the downhill island hole (#5) and there were a couple of other really fun holes on the front 9. Hole 22, having a wooded cliff 10ft to the left of the basket really tests the skill in landing a backhand shot flat with no skip (I thought I had a solid shot for an easy deuce, but failed the landing and ended up with a 4).

Big trees, nice tee pads, good facilities, ample parking. The park is clean and well-maintained, very little garbage on the course.
Cons: There were problems with course flow, a couple unnecessarily long walk between holes. Especially on hole 23 where you have to backtrack the entire hole to get to 24. Finding the next hole in holes 21-24 are not straightforward if you have not been on this course before.

Holes 22-23 play along a very steep cliff and I think there will be some erosion issues from people bushwhacking down to find their discs. One year in, and there were already a lot of trees damaged from people using them to pull themselves up the hill. I played on a dry day but if that was mud it would be very tough to get up and down to find an errant disc.

There are many holes which play across or along walking paths, and usually its a minor safety hazard because at least there is a view of oncoming walkers. The basket on hole 23 is right next to a walking path and I would be shocked if there are not injuries to pedestrians here because it is a keyhole shot down a cliff toward the walking path, and the trees block the views so there is no way to tell if pedestrians are about to step into the path of a shot.

There is a lot of redundancy on this course. It is 24 holes but a lot of them are similar.

There are too many holes that are purely a test of distance drives. For most people they will be be an easy 3 and rarely a 4. Too far for most people to have a birdie chance, and no real obstacles to cause any 4s. (Edit: Note that many holes have more than one placement but only one hole length is listed on here.)
Other Thoughts: I saw a red fox stop in front of my car as I was driving into the park. It just stood there and looked at me.

This is a decent course, but at the time I write this the average DGCR rating is 4.15 and I think that is overrated.