Napa, CA
Skyline Wilderness Park Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick   (Taken 2/2014)
Practice Basket

< Prev 1 2 3 4
A good workout

1    9/16/2015   9/21/2015
Review By: Tcollins88
Pros: VERY technical. Tons of trees and hills.
Even though there's a sign warning against it, I saw no poison oak.
Cons: Very little improvement to the grounds.

Two holes for 15. 15A & 15B. Course is designed that they both be done.

The basket for hole 18 says 19.
Other Thoughts: This park has 2 courses. A 9 and an 18.

It's a 1 mile walk to the course and back. If your shots are good, the course itself is 1.5 miles in length.
Because of the hills, your disc will roll down hills several times if you're not careful.

You will get a good workout on this course.

1    7/24/2015   7/24/2015
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: The first thing you need to know is how to get in the course. From the entry gate look to your left toward the archery range. To the left of that range there is a gate that is pictured in the course pictures. That is where you walk in. For some reason that just didn't seem right to us with the archery right there but that is where you go in. Just want to keep you from walking around aimlessly!

After a decent hike around the backside of the archery fence you will find a porta potty and just up the hill from that his the tee for 1 right next to the basket for 18.

One unique feature of this course is that many of the tees are unique and really cool. I saw this as a complaint about inconsistent tees elsewhere but it is actually really cool. Some of the nicest tees I have played off of.

Another thing that is pretty unique about this course is that many to most of the holes play straight to right with quite a few being blind shots on hills. We kept saying, "another one to the right?!? Seriously!" While that did get old after a while it challenged a part of my game that rarely gets challenged and that was welcome.

The holes are not super long. Most are reachable on your drive but they are blind and will require 1) a course map to really figure this course out and 2) extra walking down the fairway. You can usually pick the pin out pretty fast so not too bad here.

The course is very hilly and it can cause some severe rollaways on some holes but nothing too horrible. Come ready to walk and bring water.

All in all, not the very best course in this area (it has some good competition...this is not a slam) of California but better than average and definitely worth playing if you are traveling through.
Cons: The biggest con was seeing multiple pins from the fairway. That got confusing in a few places. Other than that, I really cannot think of much. Fun course!
Other Thoughts: Pretty much said it all already. Try this course out especially if you are left handed and make sure to bring a map. It is essential.

Unique course

1    7/6/2015   7/6/2015
Review By: nin1002
Pros: This course was a bit difficult for me to properly evaluate as I live in Wisconsin and have never played a course that was not located in the midwest. The course has it's own personality, and the people that I met on the course were all locals and EXTREMELY friendly! After reading other reviews, the course was not nearly as demanding physically on me as I initially was envisioning it. This is not to say that it isn't a bit of a workout, but unless you are in horrible shape or completely unaware you are about to play a frolf course in a mountainous range, there really should not be an issue. I went out Sunday late morning during 4th of July weekend and never had an issue with waiting or bumping into other people that were playing the same hole.
Cons: I found the layout very confusing and difficult to find the next hole numerous times. There was a stretch where I could see five baskets all at the same time in the same relative vicinity of each other and just was not sure which ones were for which holes (a number of the baskets are not numbered so it's a bit of a mystery). Normally I confirm this information, but honestly, just walking to all of these baskets and tee boxes to see what is what is a major physical investment that I just did not want to do. I was playing with another guy I met who was not very good, and it took over two hours to play 12 holes. Not having the ability to truly spot the basket and repeatedly making blind throws on the mountain I've never played at forced me into playing for par (or worse) on every hole. I really did not enjoy the difficulty in finding the correct basket on almost every hole....and not even finding it on others. I ended up finishing some holes on different baskets at times as I simply could not identify the baskets unless I was right next to them.
Other Thoughts: As I said, it's very hard for me to really give a fair review of this course as I very rarely leave Wisconsin, and this was the first time in my life I have gone on such a road trip and had a chance to bring my discs with. I have never seen a mountain, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be. It took me a handful of holes to get used to the predictable skip that my shot would end with. I had no issues with the "Napa Roller" except for one hole I got one, but I drilled a tree after maybe 50 feet of rolling and I found it rather amusing since I only had it happen once and ONLY once. I was somewhat sad trying to find any of the baskets from the tee box. Again, I normally just walk the course and find them, but it's very hard to be that committed to doing that on this course as the walking gets long. The elevation wasn't really anything that bothered me as I knew it was there to start with and accepted it. The thing I didn't like was it is so dry there that there is no ground vegetation at all that isn't dead. Whatever dirt/mud spots that existed are powdered dust at this point and that made everything rather slippery. I never fell, but I was walking very cautiously to make sure I didn't as I can imagine one could have an epic fall here. All in all, it was an experience I just could not pass by, but I wish the whole thing would of been easier to navigate.

Somewhat technical course with lots of elevation.

1    3/14/2015   3/18/2015
Review By: Doofenshmirtz
Pros: This course is set in rolling hills with steep elevation changes and plenty of trees ranging from short to low-medium height. In many cases tee placements force low throws through openings in trees and in others you are free to throw over the trees. Almost all baskets are on slopes with the potential for rollaways that are longer than the tee-to-basket distance. As a consequence, it forces the use of spin direction to lower the possibility for roll, i.e., you will want a decent forehand game to help lessen the rollaway potential on many holes.

There is a .4 mile walk in that should keep the course from getting too crowded. Bathrooms are available on the course but you should bring your own water.

There were a number of apparently new tee boxes of inconsistent design, but all perfectly adequate. Baskets were all in good shape and there was a good system to identify pin locations.

There were no truly long bombs for a RHBH player on the day that I played (due to shorter pin positions). Most holes were definitely reachable but well guarded by trees lending to considerable technicality in addition to just elevation changes. This course definitely calls for a lot of shot shaping even though the course was only of medium difficulty in the way that it was set up when I played. However, by the look of the alternate basket locations, this course could be set up to high degree of difficulty. Overall, the feel of this course is that of a densely wooded course with the added bonus of rollaway potential on almost every hole. Indeed, I had to be wary of how I placed my bag for most putts and upshots due to its rollaway potential on steeply sloped ground.

With no truly wide open fairways, almost every throw requires some degree of control. The long, steep slopes can severely punish errant throws.

I found almost all holes to be very well thought out and fairly challenging. However, I also had a really good round.

As a bonus, wild turkeys were gobbling occasionally and even in response to the occasional impromptu outburst at a poorly thrown shot.
Cons: I don't have too much to complain about on this course. I did notice warnings for Mountain Lion and snakes at the head of the trail leading in to the course. We didn't see either, but I suppose risking being eaten is a bit of downer unless you like a little more adventure than usual.

There was no drinking water on the course which could be handy on hotter days.

If you are physically challenged or not in decent shape, this course is not for you. Finding a stable stance in some spots can be difficult for anyone.

There were some bare areas that could probably get slick after rains, however the course was in perfect condition on the day that I played.

There was plenty poison oak around the course. Learn to identify this and stay away from it.
Other Thoughts: I played this on a trip that included Stafford Lake, Taylor Mountain and Golden Gate. Of all those courses, I'd have to rate this the most fun. It is a definite must play if you are in or near Napa.

Spring Rocks and Summer Rolls! (A Review)

5+    4/23/2014   4/24/2014
Review By: michizicle
Pros: Okay, so the main Pro of this course is challenge! When I originally started playing it seemed impossibly tough to even finish this course and now it can be done in roughly 1 and 1/2 hours. Long story short it will make a serious "Disc Golfer" out of you. The hole dynamics are well thought out and there are no two back to back holes that feel like shooting the same shot twice. The 4/10 of a mile easy hike "in" means that only people who truly are there for disc golf will be wandering around on the course. Bonus no "riff raff!" The course features gorgeous views and breathe taking scenery along with a very good exercise routine of hiking up and down rolling hills. The tee boxes are in great shape due to some recent work. Signage is the best I've seen of any course I've played yet. The locals for the most part are friendly and always welcome to guide those who are unfamiliar with course. All the DISCatchers are in good working order and minus a little chipped paint here and there, are almost in perfect shape. One of the biggest problems was not having a close by restroom but as of today there was a portable privy right down next to hole one which hopefully will be a permanent fixture. Seasonal Pros:
-Winter: Lower temperatures, with rain comes mud which sometime will "catch" your disc and keep it from rolling away. Low or no grass allows "skips" to come into play much more often. No foliage on the trees opens up all kinds of holes and "windows" to shoot through so you can try shots you would never dare in other seasons. The poison oak is mostly dormant. The vermin that plague nature are almost non existent as well.
-Spring: Temperate nice weather and longer days. Taller Green grass to grab your disc from taking off down the mountain side. Water OB will come into play slightly more regularly with the small tributary creek that runs by #1,#15B,#16,#17, and#18. (The nice part is it's not gross murky pond water and it's not deep.)
-Summer: Longer days more hours to play. Usually the morning fog will make the course cool and still.
-Autumn: Is awesome between late budding grass and fallen leaves the ground has tenancy to try to stop every rolling disc. The weather is super temperate. It is by far the best season for the park.

Cons: So the number 1 gripe for every person on this course would be the dreaded ROLL! It happens quite a bit but it's something that can not be stopped. The way nature and gravity work, these are things that can not necessarily be helped. On to things that could be helped: A couple of holes are lacking benches which is an easy fix. The lack of trash cans. The understandable parameter on that is, with the course being remote and hilly with no good access road removing the refuse would be quite the headache. People don't always use the 5 that are provided on the course but good samaritans usually come through and pick up after the slobs. The fact that the closest water source is all the way back down at the entrance means you need to pack in a lot of water if you are going for a full day. (No big deal, what's a gallon of water but 8 extra pounds.) Other year round pitfalls are poison oak. (Leaves of 3 let it be.) The afternoon winds can wreak havoc on your score. (For most of the time they can go unseen or unfelt.) Seasonal Cons:
-Winter: That same mud that might save you from a roll can also put you on your back. It may be hard to grasp footing for some shots. Colder areas that don't get sun may become icy. No grass ground cover can also lead to an over abundance of roll away discs.
-Spring: It's in the air and all over the ground. Be expectant of possible allergies. Poison Oak starts to bud out and the deer ticks start to come out to play too. Oh lord I almost forgot our friends the mosquitoes, lots of those in the afternoon/evening.
-Summer: Can get insanely hot so best to go out early or late to avoid heat stoke and such. Western diamond back rattle snakes will start to come out but for the most part they stay away from the heavy traffic areas. (If you find yourself off the beaten path best to keep your eyes and ears open.) Poison Oak and ticks continue.
Autumn: Can be the same as summer with a little less heat, but it's just so darn pretty.
Other Thoughts: So all in all this entire course is great! A great challenge and good day if you come prepared. I highly suggest making this a double round kind of day if you're driving a good distance to get here. (Don't complain too much about the $5 parking fee it goes to keeping the course open and an awesome place to play.) If you come out a lot buy a season pass for $45 and then you can go as many times as you like for free. Get out early with good attire like trail running or hiking shoes. Light colored pants and a short sleeve shirt with a wind breaker. (Light colors are good to keep you cooler in the heat of the day and it's easier to spot intrusive insects on lighter colors.)
You don't have to start with the front 9 and I really suggest if you are having a long day at it, that you play the back 9 first. It's a little easier and not quite as big in elevation changes. To get there, walk straight up the mountain from Tee pad 1 to reach tee pad 10. Bring lots of liquid and some light snacks with, to keep your body in good shape for the amount oh hiking around you'll be doing. Bug spray and allergy meds and sunscreen aren't a bad idea either. When it come to the terrible rolls just watch your play style at this course and it will defiantly cut way down on that factor. Try driving your disc the opposite directions of the sideways slopes to stop rolls. Feel free to have good up shot placement instead of going straight for the basket. Most of the time if you hit any part of the basket besides chains or inside it will end in disaster. (Birdie to Triple Bogie) Watch the grass and the trees at the top of any hill you're shooting up or over, you'll see the telltale signs of jet streams you didn't previously see. Get good kicks in the dirt for good solid footing on the heavy slopes to avoid rolling down the slope yourself. Most of all have fun out there, it was designed to be a pro level course so even if you don't shoot well at least you finished it like a pro.

Why did I play this course?

1    4/5/2014   4/6/2014
Review By: Fntsygamr
Pros: Location is a good. Scenery is beautiful. Good signs, washer system to locate holes. Tee pads are decent too. Weather was nice for a round.
Cons: Muddy after the recent rain. Very hilly, slippery, poison oak very rampant. Pin location on #10 is ridiculous! Many shots are silly in placement. Walk in is long, walk out longer. People not courteous of others on the course. Very easy to lose your disc. $5 to park on muddy grass.
Other Thoughts: First & last time I'll play this course. It's off my wish list. Not a fun round, first time I've said that about any course. Save your time and play elsewhere in the area. Take the time to travel to Vacaville, Geyserville, Rohnert Park, or anywhere else but here.
Lost a light blue sidewinder on #14. Name & number on disc. Call if found please.

Challenging, well-balanced, fair and punishing

5+    3/22/2014   3/22/2014
Review By: kevaunne
Pros: - well maintained with great signage, good quality teepads and newer baskets.
- Lovely setting in a wooded valley, isolated and never crowded
- Great mix of longer/shorter, dogleg left/right, uphill/downhill, & tunnel/open shots. The course design will test your skill-set and range
- I can't think of an especially weak hole design here (possibly 10). Overall, a strong course layout
Cons: - Steep hills EVERYWHERE. To an extent, this is a pro but the constant risk of a shot rolling 50ft+ from where it lands can detract from the fun-factor. And it's not just the discs that roll downhill, your bag, your water bottle, your disc retrieval tool and even your own body will be constantly fighting gravity. My rounds here end with some sore legs.
- There's a 10 minute walk between parking and teepad #1. The course is pretty far from restrooms and water sources. Definitely pack in water.
- This seems to be one of the warmer spots in the Bay Area. A combo of steep hills and heat can wear you down. I'd avoid this course on a hot day.
Other Thoughts: I occasionally play this course when I've grown tired of the Bay Area mainstays. It's designed well but the constant threat of roll-aways and hiking up hills detract from the fun factor. The course design is fair, balanced, challenging and punishing. I'd recommend playing here but it wouldn't be at the very top of my must-play list.

Great course in the Napa hills

5+    1/5/2014   1/23/2014
Review By: cboucher
Pros: The first thing I noticed was that this course is separated from the rest of the park by quite a bit of distance. There is a sizeable walk to get to it from the parking lot, so the only people you see on the course are disc golfers for the most part. There are the occasional bike riders on the path leading up to and going through the course, but I have never really seen them causing any issues. The course itself was very well designed and is located on a beautiful piece of land. Tee pads are in great condition, some being recently replaced, with good signage and brooms and fire extinguishers at pretty much every one of them. All tees have at least one bench, but most have multiple benches or chairs of some type. There are multiple pin locations for every hole. Great use of elevation throughout the course. Each hole uses the natural terrain very well and no two holes feel the same. The course is spread out over a large area so you won't have to worry about crossing fairways too much unless you really shank one. This course is very challenging and gives you ample opportunity to use every shot and disc in your bag. A true equal opportunity course. Righty or lefty, backhander or forehander, no one throwing style is favored on this course. In fact, to do well on this course would require virtually all throwing styles, including overhand.
Cons: The infamous "Napa Roller". Although I really consider this part of the challenge and not necessarily a con, there is some frustration to be had when otherwise good shots hit the ground and roll down the hill farther than where you originally threw them from. Due to the elevation changes throughout the course, one can get winded going up and down the hills all day chasing frisbees. Then there is that long walk back to the car when you're already tired from playing your round.
Other Thoughts: Bring plenty of water and snacks (I suggest trail mix). You will be tired, hungry and thirsty during a round here so be sure to bring these items with you. Also, I forgot to mention that they sell discs in the little kiosk at the front of the park. The prices actually aren't too bad. There is a practice basket right next to the parking lot and bathrooms. I like to practice putting while waiting for friends to arrive, so I find this rather convenient.

1    11/26/2013   1/2/2014
Review By:
Pros: You better bring your best shots
Holes - mostly - easy to find.
Cons: One or two places had trouble finding basket location.
Other Thoughts: This course has a great amount of shot varieties. It's much like Stafford in Novato. Pads are great. Lots of shots that will ROLL DOWNHILL in a heartbeat. Play accordingly. Lots of fun to be had here, and, there is camping - tent or RV. Horseback riding, archery course. And more.

It's a Killer

1    6/3/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: optimalben
Other Thoughts: In a word: "brutal." I happened to play the course on a 90 degree day last week and did not bring an adequate amount of water (plus was sunburned already from the previous day). But the length of the course combined with the elevation changes made this a real struggle. As a player you're basically going to be walking up and down big hills all day. I liked the course though because it was so challenging (probably the toughest I've ever played); I mostly wish I had chosen a different day to play it. I have a lot of respect for this course as a worthy adversary.

< Prev 1 2 3 4