Napa, CA
Skyline Wilderness Park Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #3 (Taken 12/2013)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Rollin, Rollin, Rollin....

2-4    9/23/2016   9/26/2016
Review By: robodude
Pros: Talk about challenging! If you want to test your mettle, this is the place!
First, I have to express my appreciation for whoever put down the concrete tee slabs. When you're there, check them out. I don't recall any 2 being the same and some are really works of art....especially considering they had to truck everything in to make it happen.
Playing on a Friday morning, it was basically empty. We think we heard chains on the back 9 somewhere but we didn't even see another person.
Lots of decisions to be made on how to deliver tee shots and approaches.
The scrub is low enough to be able to find your discs so long as you're smart about which to drive with (ie. don't throw a yellow disc in the summer and expect to find it quickly in the yellow grasses).
Don't forget to take a minute every now and again and take in the incredible views! One of the most scenic of the courses I've played when you're up on the ridges.
Cons: WATER...please! I played this course years and years ago and remember thinking it could really use some access to water. The walk there (1/4 mile...not 1/2 mile as others have said) and the steep mountain goat of a course makes trucking in a lot of water difficult. Having even just one place to fill your water bottle would be a HUGE improvement.
Rollaways....oh my goodness... You can drop the best drive right where you want and if it catches a lip or a rock...or even just leans in the wrong direction, you can watch it roll...and roll....and roll...
Be aware of which direction your disc is going to land...a RHBH throwing to a slope that goes down from right to left is just asking for a skip that takes off down the hill. We got smart and had someone spotting when we could....esp around the basket when an errant putt can take you from 2 feet away to 200 feet away in a matter of seconds.
The blind shots aren't too bad if you don't know the course...like us. Sending someone down the fairway to spot the basket wasn't terrible.
For whatever reason, we simply could not find the basket for #13 and had to skip it.
Other Thoughts: We were blessed by great weather and NO WIND. This place would have been 100x worse if there had been even any breeze at all.
I have to wonder if they have buzy days and how, when it's busy, you deal with rollaways and having people have to truck down the hill to find their discs. It would seem that you could potentially have lots of backups and delays with folks having to get all the way down and all the way back up the hills that are an absolute constant throughout the course.
This is a GREAT course....very unique and challenging. I am just happy it's not my home course.

Turkey Shoot

1    8/28/2016   8/30/2016
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: This is a fun course with decent challenge, wildlife, and good views. You drive in and pay at the guard station and then begin the half mile walk to the first tee but not before reading the warning signs about rattlesnakes and mountain lions (they call them cougars in Washington). On this little dirt path you walk past the archery range on the right and in my case a bunch of wild turkeys on the left. There is a neat little honey bucket on wheels just before the first hole so take advantage of that.

Hole one already has you planning your route, landing area, and more important how you land. Big dumb RHBH hyzers do not work for every hole on this course like some others so a bit of thinking and shot selection is required. Otherwise you're gonna be complaining about how hard the course is and how many roll aways you get like it's bad luck or something but if you are smart you can avoid most of it but I digress...

A challenging mix of up and down, left and right but if you've played a decent amount of courses you have probably played something similar. If you learned from those courses then this place won't seem so daunting. I heard the turkey gobble from my friend after his third consecutive birdie in row even though we've told him that's a bowling thing but whatever. This won't challenge 1000 rated players much but most intermediate to advanced ams will find challenge and fun here for the most part; however don't take someone new or those who aren't used to hills, and dry, hot weather. When we played the wind was howling and make those downhill throws that much more challenging.

Baskets are in fine shape, especially my favorite on top of the wine barrel. Although I have seen this in one other place before I still really appreciate the uniqueness of putting on it and hope it is kept this way. Tee pads are mostly rubber and do a fine job although gravel and dirt surround them. Luckily there are brooms and benches at every hole.
Cons: There isn't anything super special or unique in any way be it a hole or something else just a solid course. While not really something annoying or would keep me from playing it does limit my opinion (and rating) of the course. I also feel as though the course could be much harder, whether they need to use more land or shorten the amount of holes is probably controversial I feel it could improve it.
Other Thoughts: The multiple pins idea is one I'm not so sure about. Although you get variety for those who play it a lot you also can be disappointed when you wanted to play the 'a' position and it's in 'b' or 'c' or what have you. I almost feel as though if they have enough room for that they have room to add length to some of the holes to make some epic downhill, uphill and cross hill holes. There are I believe four different pins for each hole which is a little overboard; I think I might be alright with two, maybe three but then again if there is room for that is there room to make one location for the basket that is better than the four they have? Remains to be seen, just my not so humble opinion.

Better in the winter

5+    7/20/2016   7/26/2016
Review By: mikehohyo
Pros: Great views, lots of trees, longer holes, lots of elevation change, good baskets, rotating basket positions
Cons: Heavy dead grass, lack of trash cans, course not kept up with mowing, super dry
Other Thoughts: Watch out for mountain lions!

Bring your best game

2-4    2/20/2016   2/21/2016
Review By: chadair
Pros: + Challenging
+ Will test many aspects of your game, even though many of the holes are short, you still need a good arm to get over high trees
+ Natural setting
+ Recent improvement noticeable
+ Most teepees are very nice, with non-slick concrete surfaces and are adequately long
+ Many holes have some interesting risk-reward decisions at the teepad
+ I found myself facing many long 30-40' putts, which is uncommon... bring your best putting mojo
Cons: - Still some improvement needed in teepads, signage, and erosion control, map is essential for first-timers
- Baskets need to be color coded so you know which one you are shooting to (for example, on the tee pad indicate shoot toward the _____ color basket)
- I think a few alternate lines need to be opened up on some holes
- some of the distances seem to be off
Other Thoughts: This is an excellent course - it is challenging, has creative lines and basket locations, and is in a beautiful location. The "smart" line isn't always obvious, and gutsy shots off the tee can payoff big or be a disaster. Like many mountain courses, you'll need to control your roll-aways, and that's just part of disc golf. This course has the potential to be equal to some of the very good mountain courses in Colorado, just needs a bit more improvement.

A California Must Play

2-4    12/20/2015   2/15/2016
Review By: Mr. Butlertron
This review was updated on 2/24/2016
Pros:
- Good variety of ascending defending holes
- Rubber/Concrete tees
- Quality baskets
- Beautiful scenery
-Challenging hole layouts
- Great tee signs
- Not a lot of underbrush to lose discs
- Brooms on some tees
- Crapper on site
- Mulitple pin placements
Cons:
- No alternate tees
- Not all baskets were labeled
- Blind tees mixed with high rollaway probability
- No basket indicators to tell which position the pin is currently in
- Lacking directional signage between holes,
- A little overlapping of fairways
- 15B in had no fairway
- No max distance bomber holes
The only day I had a chance at playing this course the forecast called for rain, go figure. A little rain wasn't going to keep me from finally getting to play a course this awesome though. I honestly don't know why there were some guys complaining about having to trek up and down hills or even walk a half a mile each way just to get to the course, it wasn't a big deal at all. Then again, I came in December and not July.

I had pretty much the whole course to myself and didn't need much help figuring out the layout for the most part. The satellite map came in handy for figuring out how to get from hole to hole to make up for the lack of people to follow around. When faced with blind shots I just squirreled down the fairway to figure out where the pin location was. Normally I hate blind shots, especially on spotter-less hilly landscape, but the lack of underbrush made even the most heinous rollaways easy to find. I could see the whole process being much more stressful if it were hot, crowded and flush with summer vegetation growth. Adding an pin placement indicator on the sign would be nice, although I rarely see that on courses for some reason.

The course itself was a little side traversing heavy and could have used a long downhill bomber. Still, I fully enjoyed most holes with the exception of 15b. That hole didn't even have a fairway, which was disappointing. Pars came easily enough, birdies were a little tougher and required a mix of control/accuracy, risk, and luck. Speaking of luck, I happened to hit an ace on 10 pin A position!

As for the tee pads, they were a mix of rubber and concrete and all were in good condition. I don't know exactly when it started, but near the end of the course I started noticing variations of concrete tee pad surface designs. It was a real showcase of concrete craftsmanship on a few of them. My favorite pad was the one with little troughs across from side to side. My least favorite was the diamond grating in a "t" shape design. It was really slick, as in horrible, in spots because it retained a lot of mud within the nooks and crannies without a way to flow off the pad.

Skyline Wilderness Park easily ranks as my favorite California course played. It's rating 21 out of the state's top 25 courses is laughable. I thought it was easily the best California course that I've played by far. I have a bias toward wilderness themed type courses though. Lower skilled players likely would not share the enthusiasm I have for it, that's to be expected I guess. For those who think they'll be doing some "extra hiking", you might want to consider bringing a slimmer disc selection than normal. Packing light will help cut down the fatigue factor. I brought a full tourney set up including rain gear and extra food, it was a little overkill .

Skyline, an overlooked gem

5+    1/24/2016   2/3/2016
Review By: deft
Pros: A beautiful and challenging course that requires ever shot in the book. This course will make you think about every shot because rollaways are very easy to come by. Multiple pin locations for ever hole can make this course go form an easy to soul crushing. I enjoyed the secludedness of the course and the locals were beyond welcoming. lots of benches and The new concrete tees for 7, 14 and 15 are the best i've seen anywhere.
Cons: Some of the tees were rubber mats that have seen a lot of use. The local club is working on replacing all tees with concrete ones in the near future.
Other Thoughts: I've played this course a 10 times over the last 3 years and everytime i come back it is improving. new positions for 4 and 12 and 15 are fun and challenging.

A good workout

1    9/16/2015   9/21/2015
Review By: Tcollins88
Pros: VERY technical. Tons of trees and hills.
Even though there's a sign warning against it, I saw no poison oak.
Cons: Very little improvement to the grounds.

Two holes for 15. 15A & 15B. Course is designed that they both be done.

The basket for hole 18 says 19.
Other Thoughts: This park has 2 courses. A 9 and an 18.

It's a 1 mile walk to the course and back. If your shots are good, the course itself is 1.5 miles in length.
Because of the hills, your disc will roll down hills several times if you're not careful.

You will get a good workout on this course.

1    7/24/2015   7/24/2015
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: The first thing you need to know is how to get in the course. From the entry gate look to your left toward the archery range. To the left of that range there is a gate that is pictured in the course pictures. That is where you walk in. For some reason that just didn't seem right to us with the archery right there but that is where you go in. Just want to keep you from walking around aimlessly!

After a decent hike around the backside of the archery fence you will find a porta potty and just up the hill from that his the tee for 1 right next to the basket for 18.

One unique feature of this course is that many of the tees are unique and really cool. I saw this as a complaint about inconsistent tees elsewhere but it is actually really cool. Some of the nicest tees I have played off of.

Another thing that is pretty unique about this course is that many to most of the holes play straight to right with quite a few being blind shots on hills. We kept saying, "another one to the right?!? Seriously!" While that did get old after a while it challenged a part of my game that rarely gets challenged and that was welcome.

The holes are not super long. Most are reachable on your drive but they are blind and will require 1) a course map to really figure this course out and 2) extra walking down the fairway. You can usually pick the pin out pretty fast so not too bad here.

The course is very hilly and it can cause some severe rollaways on some holes but nothing too horrible. Come ready to walk and bring water.

All in all, not the very best course in this area (it has some good competition...this is not a slam) of California but better than average and definitely worth playing if you are traveling through.
Cons: The biggest con was seeing multiple pins from the fairway. That got confusing in a few places. Other than that, I really cannot think of much. Fun course!
Other Thoughts: Pretty much said it all already. Try this course out especially if you are left handed and make sure to bring a map. It is essential.

Unique course

1    7/6/2015   7/6/2015
Review By: nin1002
Pros: This course was a bit difficult for me to properly evaluate as I live in Wisconsin and have never played a course that was not located in the midwest. The course has it's own personality, and the people that I met on the course were all locals and EXTREMELY friendly! After reading other reviews, the course was not nearly as demanding physically on me as I initially was envisioning it. This is not to say that it isn't a bit of a workout, but unless you are in horrible shape or completely unaware you are about to play a frolf course in a mountainous range, there really should not be an issue. I went out Sunday late morning during 4th of July weekend and never had an issue with waiting or bumping into other people that were playing the same hole.
Cons: I found the layout very confusing and difficult to find the next hole numerous times. There was a stretch where I could see five baskets all at the same time in the same relative vicinity of each other and just was not sure which ones were for which holes (a number of the baskets are not numbered so it's a bit of a mystery). Normally I confirm this information, but honestly, just walking to all of these baskets and tee boxes to see what is what is a major physical investment that I just did not want to do. I was playing with another guy I met who was not very good, and it took over two hours to play 12 holes. Not having the ability to truly spot the basket and repeatedly making blind throws on the mountain I've never played at forced me into playing for par (or worse) on every hole. I really did not enjoy the difficulty in finding the correct basket on almost every hole....and not even finding it on others. I ended up finishing some holes on different baskets at times as I simply could not identify the baskets unless I was right next to them.
Other Thoughts: As I said, it's very hard for me to really give a fair review of this course as I very rarely leave Wisconsin, and this was the first time in my life I have gone on such a road trip and had a chance to bring my discs with. I have never seen a mountain, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be. It took me a handful of holes to get used to the predictable skip that my shot would end with. I had no issues with the "Napa Roller" except for one hole I got one, but I drilled a tree after maybe 50 feet of rolling and I found it rather amusing since I only had it happen once and ONLY once. I was somewhat sad trying to find any of the baskets from the tee box. Again, I normally just walk the course and find them, but it's very hard to be that committed to doing that on this course as the walking gets long. The elevation wasn't really anything that bothered me as I knew it was there to start with and accepted it. The thing I didn't like was it is so dry there that there is no ground vegetation at all that isn't dead. Whatever dirt/mud spots that existed are powdered dust at this point and that made everything rather slippery. I never fell, but I was walking very cautiously to make sure I didn't as I can imagine one could have an epic fall here. All in all, it was an experience I just could not pass by, but I wish the whole thing would of been easier to navigate.

Somewhat technical course with lots of elevation.

1    3/14/2015   3/18/2015
Review By: Doofenshmirtz
Pros: This course is set in rolling hills with steep elevation changes and plenty of trees ranging from short to low-medium height. In many cases tee placements force low throws through openings in trees and in others you are free to throw over the trees. Almost all baskets are on slopes with the potential for rollaways that are longer than the tee-to-basket distance. As a consequence, it forces the use of spin direction to lower the possibility for roll, i.e., you will want a decent forehand game to help lessen the rollaway potential on many holes.

There is a .4 mile walk in that should keep the course from getting too crowded. Bathrooms are available on the course but you should bring your own water.

There were a number of apparently new tee boxes of inconsistent design, but all perfectly adequate. Baskets were all in good shape and there was a good system to identify pin locations.

There were no truly long bombs for a RHBH player on the day that I played (due to shorter pin positions). Most holes were definitely reachable but well guarded by trees lending to considerable technicality in addition to just elevation changes. This course definitely calls for a lot of shot shaping even though the course was only of medium difficulty in the way that it was set up when I played. However, by the look of the alternate basket locations, this course could be set up to high degree of difficulty. Overall, the feel of this course is that of a densely wooded course with the added bonus of rollaway potential on almost every hole. Indeed, I had to be wary of how I placed my bag for most putts and upshots due to its rollaway potential on steeply sloped ground.

With no truly wide open fairways, almost every throw requires some degree of control. The long, steep slopes can severely punish errant throws.

I found almost all holes to be very well thought out and fairly challenging. However, I also had a really good round.

As a bonus, wild turkeys were gobbling occasionally and even in response to the occasional impromptu outburst at a poorly thrown shot.
Cons: I don't have too much to complain about on this course. I did notice warnings for Mountain Lion and snakes at the head of the trail leading in to the course. We didn't see either, but I suppose risking being eaten is a bit of downer unless you like a little more adventure than usual.

There was no drinking water on the course which could be handy on hotter days.

If you are physically challenged or not in decent shape, this course is not for you. Finding a stable stance in some spots can be difficult for anyone.

There were some bare areas that could probably get slick after rains, however the course was in perfect condition on the day that I played.

There was plenty poison oak around the course. Learn to identify this and stay away from it.
Other Thoughts: I played this on a trip that included Stafford Lake, Taylor Mountain and Golden Gate. Of all those courses, I'd have to rate this the most fun. It is a definite must play if you are in or near Napa.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5