Fairfield, ME
Skyriders DGC Share
Uploaded By: nstraz Hole #17 (Taken 6/2010)
4 / 382ft.   4 / --   4 / --   4 / -- Par / Distance:

Great Course

1    8/8/2014   8/13/2014
Review By: Jaxully
Pros: Great course map, bug spray and sunscreen available along with the score cards and pencils, gatorades and waters available for purchase, rentable discs, very friendly course owner (came and talked to us and asked us if he could watch us play a few holes), very well maintained, tee pads are great grippy when soaking wet, wood chips on the fairways prevent mud very effectively, great variety of shots, 6 left 6 right 6 straight, a few shots that you have to take pictures of they're so beautiful, trash cans and brooms at every tee pad, great signage and arrows to make finding the next hole fool proof, very nice and spread out no overlapping holes, all different distances some short long and in between.
Cons: The par is a little higher on some shots than it should be and it is very buggy but the bug spray he provides does a pretty good job.
Other Thoughts: Course owner was very friendly and nice. He takes pride in his course and asked us how everything was and what he could do to improve it. For $5 a day this course is top notch will be making another visit.

Good mix of wooded and open shots

1    7/21/2012   7/30/2012
Review By: headbangerdiscus
This review was updated on 8/3/2012
Pros: easily navigated
Hole layout markers
Fun holes
not a million trees to shoot through on every hole
friendly owner
Bug spray and sunscreen provided at hole 1
plenty of benches to rest and refuel
good variety of hole layouts
Cons: not all tees are concrete pad but not really an issue for me
no clubhouse (but rentals are available outside if needed)
bugs! Swim in bug spray first!
Other Thoughts: Mostly through the woods but more open grassy spaces and not as many trees as other courses I've played=less frustrating doinks off a tree on your drive. I was feeling good about myself on front 9, but back 9 knocked me back down to earth and remember I'm a beginner. Split evenly between 6 lefts, 6 straight, and six rights. Each basket has an arrow pointing to next hole. Owner greeted us and gave us a quick walk through of the course, nice guy. He does want to open clubhouse in the future. Each tee marker gives distance/par/ and direction so you know where to aim. Unique holes include shooting past ancient big tree, basket on top of big mound, basket on hill top, multiple 500' + holes and a 632'. Lots of gnomes, tree faces, animal cutouts along the way. Had fun and was worth the hour drive to check out a new course.

1    11/21/2011   12/8/2011
Review By: seano2222
Pros: Nice, long spread out course - Nothing crammed-in about it. The holes lengths are split evenly with six each of par 3's, 4's and 5's. This really provides a lot of range and variety to work with. A handful of holes have some fun elevation change in play. After the first few holes, the course plays in somewhat of a secluded loop which must help keep down the distraction and air traffic from other holes. There are some white pines of epic size worked into the course, making for some memorable views. Decent amount of drainage work, wood chipping and landscaping were obvious. It seemed like course maintenance was generally being sustained - There were no downed trees, for instance, that hadn't been attended to. The tree art is a quirky and appreciated identifying touch.
Cons: Many of the holes were graded, stump free and occasionally seeded with grass, however, there were a some that really needed work. Holes 14 & 15, for example, are difficult to find any level footing to even throw from stationary on the fairways.

We enjoyed a morning round in mid November, so it was just cold enough the night before that the ground had firmed up. You could tell though that some of the fairways were suffering from some persistent seasonal wetness.
Other Thoughts: For the most part the tree obstacles were cleverly laid out for an enjoyable technical feature. Branches were often trimmed to keep the trunks as the main feature to work around. The thick trees that line the fairways were at times a notable challenge to contend with, either from fading or ricocheting into them.

Some fairway tree obstacles weren't a good fit for me, some a little too tight out of the box or too far from the box to be that tight. I'm kidding myself if I think I wouldn't take the shot at going through every time anyways, but a smarter player might choose to throw short to get a better line or lay up before the longer ones.

There were some awkward distances and unusually placed turns, I thought. No doubt more familiarization would work some of that out. For instance, hole 8 was one that I'm not sure there was height to get a hyzer all the way around the dog leg corner?

Signage is serviceable and baskets have arrows directing to next tee. Not much detail for the first time through. I've recently come to realize that all I really want out of signage on my first visit is to be able to navigate between holes successfully and know which way to point my drive. No signage will ever really have enough detail to make my first round score worth writing home about.

I like the gravel tee boxes, but it had been a while since some of them had been leveled.

The owner, who presumably lives on sight, came out to greet us and tell us the lay of the land a little - Always appreciated.

The best improvement opportunities would be work on drainage and some leveling work on the roughest of the fairways.

Open but challenging

2-4    10/16/2010   10/16/2010
Review By: ErixTheRed
Pros: This course demonstrates proper use of trees. The fairways are open and have strategically placed trees that force you to make good shots. You wont have to play thread-the-trees all day like you do at many other courses.
Cons: It can get a little swampy and the tees aren't in perfect shape.
The front nine has very generous pars. I played the worst round of my life on my first time there and was still -4 halfway through.
The arrows at the tee and on various trees are not the best at navigating players through the course. Don't expect a lot until you're used to the layout.
Other Thoughts: To me this course really is the ideal mix of trees and open space. Additionally, the rough is dense and can get pretty tough to get out of. Throw smart.

love this course

2-4    5/15/2010   5/21/2010
Review By: hotdam
Pros: tee sign's and distance are marked on wood sign's .tee pads are in good shape . the course is not done so I liked it the front 9 is not hard or easy but the back 9 is no joke !!!!! Be smart off the tee or pay for it this course well make you a better player it forces you to make shots and be safe all in one ..I well be back to play this course every year I go back to maine .. pro shop in the works

Cons: I well wait till the course is done before I write anything here
Other Thoughts: this is great course it well be around for a long time...

This course will make you earn the low scores.

5+    11/30/2013   4/29/2010
Review By: davistd0
This review was updated on 12/2/2013
Pros: Just played for the first time in over a year. Have to bump my previous 3.5 rating to a 4.5

Each tee has hole information (fairway shape, hole number, par, and distance) carved into wood signs.

Every tee is now a slightly elevated wooden box. Looks/fells like sand-blasted coating which is grippy and looks/plays very well. This is a big improvement from the previous gravel tees. All 18 are the same size and are plenty big enough.

Great hole variety ranging from a few crushing drives off the tee to some controlled shots. Lines for beginners and pros.

Only $5 lets you play all day.

There are 2 baskets at the start to practice putting on.

Owner lives on site and is very friendly and helpful.

Course is very clean. Fairways are clean.
Cons: No stocked club house.

1 or 2 of the fairways have a lot of stumps and holes, which can be treacherous on the foot work when trying to reach the basket from afar.

A few soggy areas after heavy rain and in the spring. These areas are mostly avoidable.
Other Thoughts: Be careful on the long fairways that snake through the woods. Often you can see the basket from 450 ft away or more and it looks close enough to reach... until your driver tree-bounces into the DEEP rough. Play a little conservative and your score will be 3 or 4 shots better for it.

Course is in excellent shape and is a blast to play.

With Quaker HIll only 10 minutes away, these 2 courses make a great pairing for a day of golf.

I wish I had taken a few pictures of the new tees to post because they are beautiful.