Snowmass Village, CO
Snowmass Ski Resort - Red Share

Mountain Challenge

1    9/6/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: HRPufinstuf
Pros: Pro's - What kid (of any age) doesn't love standing on the top of a mountain and throwing a disc to a basket a few hundred feet below! I got butterflies in my stomach a few times watching my disc sail into the blue. For example - When i played 17 (not sure I was on the official tee box - see cons for more below) - I was throwing to a basket 800 - 1000 feet away. My normal drive is about 250 feet - and I was putting on my third shot from a pin high up shot. Generally the pro's are the views and the awesome drives you can attempt. Most of the holes have a number mounted on a piece of pine and someone has put distances with a label maker on over half - so that helps finding the basket.
Cons: Cons - Dirt tee pads are inconsistent -some smooth and well marked - others very rough, bumpy and unmarked. Some tee boxes are quite hard to find -(two I am not sure I ever found - 17 and 18). Some course maps and more consistent marking of T-boxes would really help.
Other Thoughts: We were in town for the Jazz fest and stayed at the Timberline. When we got to our room - the balcony looked out over one of the ski runs and there - right in front of me was a basket. I was right across from the last baskets for both the Yellow and Red courses.

The Red course is billed as the more technical of the two and I would agree - there are more holes that cut through the woods and require you to have ability to throw several different types of upshots.

Getting there: chair lift (smaller and shorter of two parallel lifts) for $10 (unlimited use for that day - so with two courses its probably worth it); car - there is a dirt road that I am told you can drive up - I saw several roads- problem is, you still have to get back up there to get your car when done since both courses end down near the upper village mall where you pick up the chair lift; Foot - it is definitely walkable - but not easy. I walked up to play the yellow and it was a reasonable up hill hike till you get to the "last hill" and its damn steep. Just follow the chair lift up from the ground - if you can get a town shuttle to take you up to the Top of the Mountain condos - you cut your walk in half.

Once there, both courses start out the same and share the first 4 holes. Hole 1, 2, 3 and 4 are "across the slope" holes of medium to short length - a nice warm up. #2 tee is straight down hill from the #1 basket behind a pile of dirt. #4 is a shared tee box for two different baskets. Yellow is a very short ace run and a sure birdie unless you go right down the hill. Red fairway follows the road and the goes up hill - the tee box shows both Red and Yellow info and the cross cut pine markers sort of point the way. From that point on Red goes up hill for a few holes. Dont forget to turn around once in a while.

#6 basket if I recall correctly was a bit hard to find. The tee box say 390 ftt and seems to point to the left a bit. But the basket is actually tucked into an aspen stand across the road to the right. the next hole is beautiful - long down hill that is nestled in trees. I had real trouble finding #14 tee box. After you finish 13 (again - I think its 13) - short hole in the woods across a low lift line - there appears to be a tee box just out of the woods. It is unmarked but many have clearly thrown from here - but there is no red basket to be seen - only two yellow baskets. But if you walk down hill - following a trail that traverses the side of the hill - you will see a very well marked #14 (or 15) - just a bit of a hike down to it. From there it is pretty straight down hill following the ski runs. I could not find a marked tee box for 17 or 18 - so i threw from dirt spots that others have clearly used. So I may have missed a hole - not sure. There is water on one hole - a shot over a lined holding pit - if you land near the edge you can easily retrieve.

Sean, a guy I met who works in the restaurant at the Timberline - is one of the main locals who takes care of the course and plays it often in the mornings he says - so he would be a good one to look up with navigation help.