Indianapolis, IN
Sahm Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #5 (Taken 10/2009)

Could use some maintenance.

5+    11/14/2010   4/6/2011
Review By: bluto61
Pros: Good for a quick game.
Lots of trees, which provide shade and a variety of opportunities to work on different shots.
Cons: The course is getting old, and it shows. The signage is deteriorating/missing, and the numbers on the baskets are wearing off.
Absolutely terrible drainage. Any solid rain in the area creates a lasting puddle on 8/17, and the course stays muddy for a long time.
Not much variety. No elevation changes or water hazards (the puddle almost counts).
Other Thoughts: For the area the park is in, you'd expect better upkeep. The ball golf course right next to it seems to be in decent shape. I'm not far away, so I still drop by for a quick round every now and then, when I want some change from my regular courses, but if you're not from central Indy, and you're looking for a course in the area, drive the extra 5-6 miles to Dr. James A. Dillon park.

Quick play

1    11/23/2009   2/22/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a flat little corner of a park that is used only for disc golf so there isn't any interference with other park users. Most of the course plays through scattered mature trees with no underbrush and well-mowed grassy fairways. There are a couple holes with brushy rough off the fairway that add a little risk for errant drives.

There are dual concrete tees on each hole for 18 different looks. On many holes these alternate tees give you either a different line to hit or a different length, which makes the course a little more interesting. There is some variety of shots required if you want to take a run at each hole, but the course is open enough that a beginner with a limited shot selection can play the course and be successful.
Cons: The course is on a pretty run down little piece of property, with lots of muddy areas where the grass has been worn away and no elevation at all. The baskets are rusty and don't catch all that well, and nearly all the signs are broken or vandalized.

There just isn't enough variety here to keep it interesting for more than a round or two, with no punishment on most holes for bad shots, and no holes that make you think about how to approach them. Many holes play near one another, so watch for discs from other fairways. The problem is compounded when you have people wanting to play from both sets of tees to the same basket.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice little course for beginners and working on shaping lines in your short game. More experienced players won't have many challenges here, without any real length or risk, and many holes that play very similar to one another.

This course isn't worth going out of your way for, especially with James Dillon to the north and the Brookside/Washington courses to the south. It is very beginner friendly though if you want to play a quick round or introduce someone to the game.

Perspective from not-good but obsessed

5+    10/10/2009   10/10/2009
Review By: Peachey
Pros: Nice Mature Trees require some accuracy!
The distance holes have trees/a road/woods..these obstacles Will bite your disc. (I haven't hit a car..but...I Have had a car run over a bouncing disc..oops)
P Dept maintains the course well: grass is always cut.
Good learning course...beginners can try alternate approaches.
but still a test for good disc-ers...I think..I wouldn't really know til I am one..so nevermind.
LOTS of players..you are never alone
Cons: HEAVY use has an effect...dust or mud surrounds tees depending on conditions...recommend a habit of hanging your bag on tee signs.
While the tee signs are in such shape bad that replacement is the only option.. I couldn't care less about that.
LOTS of players..you are never alone
Other Thoughts: I may be wrong but I believe that Gary Gaskins help DB design this course...I'm thinking I read that on another site.

I absolutely Love this course for one reason: It's 5 minutes from my place of employment.
I play it at lunch.
I play it on my way home.
I've stopped on my way to work.
If you see a bald guy wearing a tie..looks like he left his suit coat in his trunk..say hi.