Live Oak, FL
Magnolia DGC Share
Uploaded By: denny ritner Hole #7 (Taken 5/2011)
Hole #7 Blue Tee

Gotta visit this one

2-4    9/16/2013   9/18/2013
Review By: koak1958
Pros: Every other review was right. If you have never been go spend a couple days. Quite a place. Great Disc Golf -Laid Back atmosphere.
Cons: Naturally your in the south, very hot even in mid September. Lots of bugs
Other Thoughts: Great job of keeping under growth down so you can find a disc.

Suwanee Open

2-4    1/15/2013   2/9/2013
Review By: Snailpowered
Pros: I played at the Suwanee Open in 2013 and I have to say that this is a Fantastic Course! In my opinion one of the top 5 in Florida. The course was extremely well kept (tho this was during a tournament) and the signs were well marked. As previously posted I would load your bad with Mids and maybe two drivers.
The park that the course is located in was great; clean, friendly, and easy to find. I would recommend taking a couple of days and spending some time in the park camping. Play the short pads the first day and longs the second so that you become familiar with the hole layouts.
Cons: Course calls for a Par 62, but a fair portion of the par 4's could and probably should be played as 3's; at least from the short pads. Distance on Pin placement seemed a bit off.
Other Thoughts: This was a great course and I hope to return here next year for the 2014 Suwanee Open. A word of advice for RHBH throwers... have a solid Anhyzer shot, good flick, or stellar turnover shot. If there is a type of shot that youre not comfortable with this course will exploit it... which I believe will make you a better rounded player.

There is also a dog memorial on hole .....3? I believe. So if your coming in from out of town a little gift would be cool, I know next time im leaving a home course mini marker.

Gorgeousity

1    4/10/2012   4/10/2012
Review By: Jesterian
Pros: Beautiful course in the North Florida Woods. I played it from the long tees which are certainly challenging considering the fairways. Many tee shots require very precise placement in order to have a clear upshot or putt. On the par 4s you are very very unlikely to eagle without hitting a field ace. On a whole, this course is challenging and enjoyable
Cons: I do enjoy variety in a disc golf course which this one is somewhat lacking in. It is all tight fairways.
Other Thoughts: Would definitely play again if I got the chance!

Great Discing and a Whole Lot More!!

1    12/30/2011   2/4/2012
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 2/11/2012
Pros: Charming course on private property with public access.
• Lots of challenging, well wooded fairways requiring control and finesse. Great variety given the land its on: nice mix of distances. Many fairways shaped to offer a choice of lines, with some forcing pretty much only one, but always requiring good execution whatever line you choose.
• Dual red/blue pads genuinely offer amateur vs. pro challenge.
• Tee posts with hole # and distance for both the red and blue tees help you find the next tee, and feature song lyrics; adds a nice touch IMO (someone really appreciates Jerry Garcia's work).
• Well laid out, nice flow from basket to next tee.
• Benches and trash cans throughout the course.
• Great location: with no other courses within 40 miles or so, Magnolia is kind of an oasis in a bit of DG desert. When you consider that this place really does attract people for lots of other activities, it's particularly well located to bring disc golf to people who might not otherwise know it exists.
• Plenty of shade to help beat the heat when the temp rises.
• Restrooms, food and lots of extras on site (see other thoughts).
Cons: Although the course is laid out in a nicely wooded, aesthetically pleasing section of the park, this parcel of land has its limitations. My only real knock on the course has more to do with the land than the design or layout, and I give the designer props for getting the most out of what he had to work with.
• With wooded hole after wooded hole, Magnolia starts to feel a bit repetitive towards the latter part of a round.
• Essentially flat, only a few holes featured a modest elevation change.
The combination of these attributes make the course seem a bit one dimensional. A couple of more open holes, an uphill or downhill shot, and some rollaway greens that increase risk reward would spice things up a bit and make for a more complete disc golf experience. For this reason alone, I can't say the course itself is excellent (4.0), but there's no denying it's very good (3.5).
Other Thoughts: Spirit of Suwannee Music Park offers great disc golf and a whole lot more. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for road trippers with family members who aren't that into disc golf. Check out their website for a complete listingof things to do here: http://www.musicliveshere.com...thingstodo.php

I'll just mention a few key extras here:
• General Store a short walk from the 1st tee, 18th basket (stop here for score cards).
• RV and tent campgrounds on site with bathhouse and semi/private showers.
• Cafe and music hall near the course. After a round, you can stop in for a bite, dancing and entertainment.

SOS's charm, atmosphere, convenience and amenities help make a very good course an excellent place to play, and IMO, are worth an extra 1/2 disc in its rating.

Great Course!!!!

1    10/29/2010   11/7/2011
Review By: kfellmy
Pros: Two dollars to play a course during the week that I had it all to myself. Hard to play. All types of shots are required...as a novice I learned plenty this day. Some long holes and some short. Really a great variety of hole types. A few low canopy shots where you are on an elevated tee pad. It's a bear from the long tees and slightly less bearish on the shorter tees. I enjoyed this course for the most part.
Cons: Cons are: some difficult navigation from hole 7 to hole 8 if I remember right. I didn't see any signs to the next tee. I read the reviews that this has been fixed. Only other con was yellow jackets. I can't remember what hole but when I reached for my disc I got jabbed three times. My disc landed right on top of their nest.
Other Thoughts: While returning back to Florida from Memphis I decided to disc golf my way home. This was one of the stops. It's been a year ago and I should have written this earlier but never got around to it (or writing my trip report also). This was one of my favorite courses. I just wish it was closer to Cape Coral.

Very challenging

2-4    8/5/2011   8/10/2011
Review By: DrumPhil
Pros: Very challenging, plenty of obstacles, variety of turns, 90 percent shaded play, multiple tee-pads, well maintained, no discs lost, very easy to navigate w/o a map, well marked tees and trails
Cons: It gets very hot in the summer regardless of the shade(get out there early or late in the day), bring a Camelpack or a big water bottle full of gatorade because you will sweat.. A LOT
Other Thoughts: I've never played from from the anything except the blue tees... until this course. The first day I played the 1st 9 on the blue pads and did terrible and was very frustrated. This course is extremely challenging from the blue pads. The second day I played all 18 from the red pad and actually enjoyed myself much more, but it was still very challenging.

A great equalizer

2-4    1/22/2011   1/24/2011
Review By: IGotDisc
Pros: I normally don't write reviews but because of my experience I thought I would on this one. Also, there have been a number of changes that have not been mentioned on here. I have had my eye on this course and I finally got to play it. The facility and staff are great and were very nice and helpful when a friend and I showed up to play. The general store that's there has custom stamped Innova discs that are great for souvenirs or if you need a new disc in a pinch. They even sell beer if you're looking to partake on the course. Restrooms are in the store for the ladies and are easy to get to after holes 9-18 like a good course should.

2011 UPDATE (from what I've read on here): The course now has concrete pads for the entire course. The old carpeted ones have been removed. I also read on here someone stating that there weren't enough trash cans and I saw plenty out there but I really wasn't keeping track of those. The course offers different pin positions to change it up for the locals on some holes but I only noticed this option for the back nine.

I loved this course! I titled this review as an equalizer because it is challenging and makes the big arm bombers lose their pride as they are forced to play golf rather than flexing muscles and bragging about it. I played on the red tees per the recommendation because I am not a power thrower and had birdie chances all day and my first chance at an eagle on a par 4. I only saw three or four holes where in my opinion the blue tees would require a big arm. Maybe I'm used to longer courses???

I can see where depending on which tee you choose could change the course around to make two courses out of one although there are some that the blue tees should be combined with the red. The course still has tight, narrow fairways that make you play smarter, not aggressively. This course really puts everyone on an equal playing field to test every throw you have in your bag.

Refer to the previous reviews from others for detailed info on the holes. I really enjoy the technical courses although it would be nice to have one hole that you could really unload on.
Cons: There are no signs off the course that indicate where the course is and we had to go into the general store to ask where it was if you're a first timer. Also, the scorecards they offered us were only the back nine. We took two and indicated the difference. I wish there was a course layout somewhere. It is not available online and the make shift board they painted it on isn't very helpful. Symantecs…

Although it wasn't not too bad to figure out where the next hole was, some of the signs were in bad shape. Some were rotted and knocked over and needed to be maintained. The signs themselves are made of paper copied onto the color of the tee and placed in sheet protectors. I would think if there holding women's pro tournaments there that they would put some more attention to those to make the course more appealing. Again, to me this wasn't an issue to effect your game.
Other Thoughts: I don't know if I would recommend new players to start on this course. It could ruin the motivation given how challenging this course is. Living in Florida I agree with the comment that you should only play this course Oct through June. Bugs can get real nasty in courses like this. If you need somewhere for the summer time, I recommend playing Northside Park in Gainesville. It's about 45 minutes south of Live Oak. I am definitely going back!!!!!!!!!!!!

A whoopin in the woods!

1    10/14/2009   10/26/2009
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: Baskets are very nice, mach on the front nine, discatchers on the back nine, all in great shape. Mostly rubber pads on the front, and concrete pads on the back. Tee signs present and very informative and complete. Very nice surroundings, some cool activities available on the grounds, in a music park, with camping available. Nice general store right at the beginning/end of the course, with mini grocery store and a decent selection of discs. Included in their plastic inventory when I was there was a decent stash of flat-top rocs.

The course provided a great technical challenge, every hole through woods, of varying density and tree make-up, and very well-kept. Some of the LONGEST technical wooded holes I've seen before, I loved it.

There is a hole to test just about any kind of shot you can imagine, hyzer, anhyzer, forehand, etc, and trees at every turn to keep you from taking an "easy" way out.

My memorable holes:
1 - Very tight window to hit with a medium flex shot (RHBH). Hit the gap 100' off the tee and a mild fade back left should park for a deuce.
2 - Long slow hyzer to somewhat open landing zone, then a tight approach through some guarding trees to the basket.
4 - Hoe Lee Sheet. When they say this is the most difficult hole on the course there is no comparison. I was HAPPY to take a 7 on this hole. If you can thread the drive out to the bend in the fairway (not easy mind you and several hundred feet), you might have a chance at an approach shot to the basket. I would bet you could count the number of people who've 3'd this hole on one hand.
6 - Long, long, RHFH shot. If you have accurate placement FH you can leave a decent approach for a three. Unfortunately I don't have the FH precision to hit the line.
10 - Very cool short, tight tunnel which I happened to be able to thread and get my 3rd and final deuce on, very satisfying to hit this line!
11 - Start off open and short shot to the dogleg right, decent FH (RHFH) will get you a nice second shot, which most likely won't get you in putting distance. You will probably have to take a 3rd shot to get close enough to then bang chains. A three on this hole and you are truly awesome.
17 - Sugar Magnolia, signature hole? Very tough shot through the gap, over a dip and up the hill. Long approach around to the left. I was very thankful to get a 5, I thought I did pretty good for a noob.
18 - Crazy Fingers is right! I thought I had an awesome shot up to the basket but NO the dang skinny branches of the trees in the middle of the fairway reached out and knocked my great shot down. Great end to a great course.
Cons: My main complaint was that I really like at least one or two open holes on a course where you can unleash. Usually a good course will have at least ONE long open hole for you to really grip and rip. I guess the con here is lack of variety. All holes are wooded. All holes are tight. All holes are technical.

Another mild con is that even on the course website you only have maps for the first nine, and while it is great there is no info beforehand. Also a great benefit would be an overall map, showing how to pull into the music park and navigate to the best parking place for the course. However everyone there was very helpful in helping me find a place to park my truck and navigate the course.

Not much variation in terrain, and some very loose footing in places due to the sand, but what are you going to do? It's Florida after all.
Other Thoughts: I absolutely loved this course, as I really like tight wooded technical courses, however I would have liked a couple open holes. The course was VERY beautiful overall, and very well laid out.

The course page suggests that you have to pay to play, but I did not. I don't know if this is just good timing on my part, but I just pulled up, parked, and played, good times.

I highly suggest hitting this course up, even if it's a little out of your way, definitely a gem hidden back in some off-the-beaten-path land, and great find in north Florida!

Great Course

2-4    3/29/2009   4/16/2009
Review By: I3ooI3oo
Pros: Great course, and if you ever get the opportunity to see a show at Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park I would suggest to bring your disc and your A game if you want to play the Blue tees. This spring 4-5 fairways had 1 ft tall lilies covering them. The feeling of just playing in the wood brought me back to my childhood growing up in Florida. There is no rules about bring a few beers on the course, which is nice for those that like to have a beer while playing. And ever few holes there is a trash can at the tee, so we can all help keep it beautiful.
Cons: The only con to think of is that when we played it was spring and the ticks were pretty bad. Though I was the only one to get any on me (could be my game is still young), but find 8 over a few days of playing was a little much. Though I would not really blame the course.
Other Thoughts: Great course that is attached to my favorite place to see live music. If you like music I am sure there is a show there that you would love.

don't miss the course

1    3/6/2009   3/8/2009
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: Very pretty walk in the woods even if you don't play disc golf. There is a sign stateing that this is a 1000 rated course. I believe it. If you play the blue tees, you will need a big arm. No matter what tee you play you wiil need precision and the abilithy to shape shots. You need to have all the shots in your bag to get you out of trouble. I did not see water however there are a number of spaces roped off as OB. I assume these places get marshy after a rain. Finding your way around the course is really easy even without a course map. There is an obvious path and plenty of arows pointing the way. The back nine is all concrete tees, both Blue and Red. The first nine is the Blue and Red carpet. I found the carpet tees in excelent shape and very playable. This course is obviously routinely maintained.
Cons: If I was forced to come up with a con I would say they could use a few more benchs on the course.
It was rather unique seeing Discraft baskets on the front nine and Innova on the back. I did not find his a con but it was suppriseing.
Other Thoughts: This course is located in The Spirit of Suwannee RV park. There is a veritable plethera of things to do here. From camping to a cafe, store, many craft shops, horseshoe pits, homemade icecream shop and more. They host many music concerts here during the year. This course is only about four miles off of I 75 and truly worth the detour to play.