Live Oak, FL
Magnolia DGC Share
Uploaded By: denny ritner Hole #12 (Taken 5/2011)
Hole #12 Approach

2-4    6/30/2013   7/1/2013
Review By: holmslice
Pros: -Two tee pads, two pin locations
-benches at every tee pad
-plenty of trash cans
-Accurate hole signage and helpful directional signage
-Pro Shop, Camp store, and Cafe located at turn
-Beautiful course in a beautiful park
-Clean and Well Maintained
-Challenging
Cons: -Admission to park required
-Parts of course prone to flooding
-Heavily wooded (bugs)
Other Thoughts: This is an absolute gem of a course. Everything about it is a display of excellent design. There is a camp store which has discs for sale (among other essentials) and a cafe that sells excellent food with a full bar.

The course is pretty technical with not many wide open shots, yet the fairways are well maintained and easily identifiable. Good variety of left and right dog legs, some slight and some sharp turns. You will need a full bag of shots, flicks and hammers prove useful in many situations.

Hard to find anything to criticize about this course. The terrain can prove to be frustrating if you are having a bad day and are finding it difficult to stay on the fairway. However, the challenges provide a great sense of accomplishment when taken on. Bugs can be a problem, if mosquitos tend to really like you, take the appropriate measures. Admission to the park is required, so this is not a 'free' course.

The wooded nature also provides a unique experience. Course provides plenty of privacy, you can feel like you have the course to yourself even when there is another group on the next hole. The tree canopy also makes this course tolerable to play even on a sunny summer day, or in light rain.

There are a few low-lying areas that are prone to flooding, however most of the course stays dry even during the rainy season.

This course is a shining example of excellent design and is managed and maintained by a group who takes pride in providing an excellent experience for all those who visit. SOSMP is one of the most beautiful places in the world, a champion level disc golf course is an added bonus. If you haven't been here, check it out!

PLAY THIS COURSE

5+    1/26/2013   2/1/2013
Review By: Barenakedreterd
Pros: Great park! not just the disc golf park but the entire place. A great mix of shots. you can go out there and have a good time shooting under par from the am pads or you can go test every shot in your bag from the blues. so many Beautiful shots everywhere you look.
Cons: Cant think of many. some of the tee boxes seem to be facing in the wrong direction for the way the fairways go but other then that its all gravy

Still beautiful course during wintertime.

2-4    1/27/2013   1/31/2013
Review By: MaxUFC
This review was updated on 3/29/2014
Pros: Tougher course with two tee boxes and two basket positions. Campground with a cafe, store and activities.
Cons: For first timer to look for next hole.

Not fun to look for lost disc during summer time.
Other Thoughts: Good to go during fall time and winter time.

Wanee? Wahoo!!!

2-4    4/19/2012   4/29/2012
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Magnolia DGC is a marvel in itself, but included with the Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park and surrounding beauty, it is truly paradise! One of my favorite courses in Florida, or anywhere. Camping is available on site, and there is a nice play area on the river. My only visits have taken place during Wanee Festival the past three years, and it is always a great time.

The forrest terrain has moderate elevation change on some holes. No water is present on the course, but there is plenty of thick rough to consider. There are always trees to account for, but the length and shapes of the fairways vary greatly. Usually, there is a good window, or multiple options off the tee, but some luck will be required as well as skill to land shots in good positions and post a good score. I am not familiar enough with the layout to really give a hole by hole breakdown, but trust me when I tell you every hole is consistent with challenge, beauty, and quality.

All of the holes were equipped with two roomy concrete tee boxes, and also two pin placements if I remember correctly. The signs posted the vital information at each hole, as well as a song title with credits and lyrics, providing a namesake for each hole. I wasn't paying full attention, but I think they were all Grateful Dead songs.
Cons: The only complaint I will make is the number of holes that had been invaded by Wanee festival campers. I think I was unable to play 5 or 6 holes out of safety concerns for people on the fairways. It is hard to hold it against them, though, because most of them are such nice folks. Perhaps fencing off vehicle access on the perimeters of the course would prevent most of this. If you are making a trip just to play this course, check to make sure the park isn't hosting an event at the time.
Other Thoughts: My first Wanee Festival was in 2010 and I played the course in its entirety. I was immediately in love, and longed for another opportunity to play the course, enjoy its lush beauty and atmosphere of general well being, as well as write a review. My words cant fully describe how awesome this course is. Even the bad throws can't dim my smile here. Finally I made my return to the Magnolia DGC, and Wanee Festival, and even an abbreviated round leaves me with no option but to advise any serious disc golfer to play this course if you can. Reminds me of: Nevin Park in Charlotte, NC or Patriots Park in Grovetown, GA (sort of).

Sugar Magnolia

1    1/31/2012   2/24/2012
Pros: 1) Nice large concrete tees allow for whatever runup and angle you need.

2) Simple signs have all the necessary information . . . Hole #, Par, Distance and a general layout of the hole. The map isn't super specific but you can get the picture of the general direction of the hole. Each hole has been named and it has a set of song lyrics on each hole too. There are a bunch of music festivals here which I would love to catch sometime. What a perfect place for a disc golf course and a musical venue! Checkit out http://www.musicliveshere.com...ent/index.php

3) Dual tees are always appreciated on tougher and longer courses. I played the long tees just because and my scores showed!

4) Mach baskets with number plates facing the tee which is always appreciated. The number plates have been taped with yellow tape making them much more visible in the woods.

5) Nice use of directionals to help with navigation through this course.

6) Someone had a sense of humor with this course because of the random things found in trees and along the fairways. First there is Petey on #3 . . . the dog with a sort of shrine around Petey. I left a little matchbox car that I had found at a course earlier in my roadtrip. I don't know if Petey was supposed to help me make a few birdies or what, but my score didn't reflect any magic. Then there was a fake person later on and a log that sortof looked like an animal with a purple feather boa and purple hat. This reminds me of the first time I saw something like this on a disc golf course (The Sinks in Chattanooga) when I found a gnome in a tree. I laughed aloud the first time and this time I just found it amusing.

7) The fairways seem to be fair . . .they will challenge you for sure but the shots are definitely manageable.

8) The fallen leaves create a nice cover for the soil in the woods. I know this is more a time of year thing but it was a positive for me when I played.

9) They did not charge me even though I was an outsider . . . perhaps there is only a charge at certain times or during their peak season? Either way it was worth a few bucks for sure. I probably should have left a donation to say thanks but I did not think of it at the time.

10) Benches and garbage cans in a few locations through the course.

11) Options are available on many of the holes . . . maybe a tighter more direct line is possible from time to time or take the much wider but longer shot. Options are always a good thing. This contributes to the risk/reward of certain shots.

12) Completely in the woods so no matter what time of year it is, you will not have to deal with the sweltering sun and heat.

13) Restrooms and a general store (with discs and supplies for sale too) are closeby to the course along with all sorts of other activities in the park. A weekend music festival would be awesome where you could squeeze in many rounds throughout the day and the concerts.
Cons: 1) There tends to be a little bit of underbrush . . . or more specifically fallen trees and branches just strewn throughout the areas adjacent to the fairways. I would much rather see these branches and trees cut and/or chipped up.

2) Even with the two sets of tees this course will maybe be too much for beginners. I would imagine a lot of people get introduced to the game during their musical festivals and extensive camping areas so I would like to see the course more manageable for beginners. It may not be designed this way intentionally, but to suit the use of the property and the land I would say a third st of tees (even if they were just timbers in the ground).

3) I can imagine when the ground isn't covered with leaves from the recent fall . . . that it would be muddy from time to time, but when I was here is just after the fall leaf drop and it creates a nice cover for the ground.

4) Elevation change is minimal on most holes and the course as a whole, but there are a couple where the elevation change plays a role, but overall the elevation is negligible.
Other Thoughts: I had a wonderful time getting beat up by the long tees. I am sure I would have had more fun playing the shorts and being rewarded for parking some shots but the blue tees simply make most holes unreachable for me to get a decent rewarding birdie. I did get two birdies on the day, one took a 45' putt and another took an incredible threading up the middle of the tightest fairway out there. I gave it a good acerun but had to settle for the 2. This is simply put a well designed course with very fair but challenging fairways. I am thrilled I was able to finally get here as I have had this course on my radar for 2 years. To quote Arnold Schwarzenegger "I will be back."

Fantastic

1    12/19/2011   12/23/2011
Review By: allent
Pros: As the title suggests, I found this to be a fantastic course. This was my first time here and I put that I have played the course once, but technically I played it through from the front tees and then turned right around and played it through once from the back tees. The tee pads were all in excellent shape and a good size. There were a bunch of trash cans on the course and I believe at least one bench at every hole, if not one at each tee pad. The tee signs were simple, but adequate and seemed to have accurate distances and basic basket direction. The flow from hole to hole was very easy to follow for the most part and there were several next tee signs or arrows to assist. I love that 9 and 18 both bring you back to the start so you can grab something out of the car, drop something off, etc. The course plays fairly challenging from the front tees, but with a number of opportunities for birdies. The back tees create more of a pro-style course that makes it extremely difficult to shoot par or better unless you've got all the shots in your bag and know how to use them.
Cons: I wish I could remember which hole, but after one of them I looked up for the next hole and didn't see it or any sort of sign. I did just kind of walk off to the right though, and found it, so not a big deal. As I mentioned in the Pros, the course was easy to follow, but I mention this because it's hard to come up with Cons on this course. It's always a Con to me to have to pay to play, but this course is well worth the 2 bucks (or less if you have a carload). Don't bother looking at the park signs for anything disc golf related. It's almost like they don't want to admit that it's there. Ask the person at the pay booth for directions, but basically go behind the first building you see to the left after the pay booth and you'll see a crude course sign, picnic tables, a practice basket, and the pads for the first hole. One other thing that wasn't a big deal to me, but that would go in the con list is that the baskets are not all the same and some are taped and some are not.
Other Thoughts: I'll definitely be back to play this course and I hope I can make it over for one of their tournaments. I've had a conflict during the last 2, but I'm still hoping. This is one of the best courses I've played (out of 16 in 4 states at the time of writing this) and I really feel like if I lived closer and could play this course a lot, it would make me a much better, and more accurate disc golfer. If you are anywhere close, make it a point to go play this course!!

One of Florida's Best

1    3/7/2011   3/7/2011
Review By: jeremytf
Pros: -All concrete teepads for both red and blue tees, which must be quite new, based on some of the older reviews

-Nearby amenities -bathrooms, drinks, snacks in the store, trash cans all over the course.

-On the weekday that I went, I only saw one other group the entire day

-Between the longer blue tees and the shorter red tees, the course can fun and challenging to a variety of skill level players. You have to be precise to play this course well!!
The blue tees would be difficult for pros because of the length and hole design. The red tees are challenging for rec players but also include some shorter holes (~200 ft) to give them good birdie chances.

-I say the hole designs from the blue tees are challenging because there are some fairly long holes with dogleg fairways that would require two easier drives or one long, creative drive - risk versus reward!

-Dense tree canopy shades almost the entire course and leaves a bed of pine needles and leaves on the ground. This means very little underbrush or grass, which makes it easy to find to find discs and walk the course. You probably won't lose any discs. There was also very few bugs, but that's probably because I went in early March

-The fairways are well carved between the trees - they felt like the right width to be fair and challenging… but you will pay if you don't hit the line you shoot for. At the same time, there aren't any ridiculous tunnel fairways.

-Some of the signs and directional arrow aren't in great shape, but there are plenty of them so it was very easy to find my way around the course - even without a map. There was never a time when I wasn't sure what direction to go

-Elevation change! In Florida!! OK, I know…. Not that much compared to other states, but c'mon, this is Florida. To have SOME elevation changes /hills that affect the game is a great bonus.
Cons: -I printed a map from this site to find the Suwanee RV park and general area, but it would be about impossible to find the course inside the park without asking someone. The first tee is tucked back behind the store.

-The density of the trees is very consistent throughout the course. I would have preferred a little more variety - like a couple holes that were more wide open, for example.

-Could have used a few more benches / tables

-The tee signs are pretty amateurish, but I'm nitpicking
Other Thoughts: -I paid $2 to the woman at the entrance to the RV park to get in. I would have paid more for this awesome course. It seems very well taken care of.

Far Exceeds Expectations!

1    1/20/2011   1/29/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: While on a 20 course roadtrip through Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina, I have to say this was the biggest surprise and definitely one of my favorites from the trip. Set in a sort of a vacation village the course for the most part is quite quiet and away from all other activities. It wraps through moderate to tight woods and from the back tees has several extremely challenging par 4 holes. From the blue tees you've got a great mix of distances, right/left/straight angles of all sorts, layup shots, and a few multiple fairway windows to navigate. While there are several birdie holes out here, you'll need a well thrown shot to get'em. Both a pro and a con, the blue tees had holes that would challenge skill levels across the spectrum from amateur to elite pros. While this means that pretty much anyone who can manage tight woods will be tested by this course, it also means that there are holes out there that will play much too easy for the top golfers.
Cons: In my opinion, the red tees made this course a bit too recreational for most tournament disc golfers - as mentioned above, another slight con is that the blue tees aren't consistent in terms of challenge, some holes will play very easy for gold level players while others will provide great challenge (perhaps too much for amateur and below level players).

Not really a true 'con' but hole 14 would be amazing if lengthened by about 200' or so. There is a grove of really tight, nasty, twisty trees behind the pin with a natural entrance window. To expand this hole to a true par 4 or par 5 would create a really interesting layup to the edge of the grove and then an intense scramble to the pin through the grove, kind of a mini Paw Paw or Patapsco!
Other Thoughts: This course is killer and remains my favorite Florida course, beating out the very impressive T2 course down south in Orlando. Take a trip, you won't regret it!

Awesome Course, Challenging But Fair

2-4    12/30/2008   12/30/2008
Review By: Kurt Hodges
This review was updated on 7/5/2009
Pros: Magnolia DGC (MGDC) is a medium to short length course from the short tees (i.e., big arms aren't a huge plus), but the back tees are nasty and long (the scorecard even says "The Blue Tees are very difficult. It's highly recommended that most players play from the Red Tees"). I wholeheartedly agree.

MGDC sets up well for the finesse player with good control and a good bag of tricks. A birdie is a possibility on all 18 holes (as they have par marked). However, MGDC is still challenging. MGDC is moderately rolling (for Florida), heavily wooded and shady, but there is still the expectance that if you focus and stay within your capabilities you can improve your game and score. If you want to add some more challenge and length, just play the longer, blue tees (38% longer and positioned at a different angle). The blue tees present a totally different look and bring more trees into play (i.e., you better have a long, tight drive dialed in). The staff have really kept the place open yet heavily wooded. So, there are lots of trees, but they are more mature (i.e., the canopy is closed off) with very light understory.
Cons: There really are no complaints that I have for Magnolia DGC. That being said, I would give Magnolia 5 stars if all the tee boxes were concrete. However, even the carpet is in great shape and the tee area is level.
Other Thoughts: Magnolia DGC is a must play if you are anywhere near Live Oak, Florida. I drove from my home in Tallahassee with a friend to just try it out (89 miles one way), and all can say is I will be back again soon. Currently, I would say it my favorite course. This is the eleventh different course I have played (2-24 hole, 7-18 hole & 2-9 hole courses), and it is hands down the best balance I have found. I love this course, and all I can say is whoever laid out the course did a great job.

I'm surprised the designer hasn't reviewed it yet.

1    10/27/2008   10/27/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: -It will challenge and force every level of player to accept that they are mortal men. Par is set at 63 and could be set higher in my opinion.
-Long AND tight, allowing for some smooth tunnelly drives but mostly shorter accuracy and placement shots with intent to have a good place to throw an upshot or two, or three, from.
-Well cleared fairways for how new it is, brushhogged'.
-Many cement tees, the rest carpet which does the trick.
Cons: -Small but widespread ivy on a few holes that is unavoidable you will land in it.
-Still not all cement tees
-Signs do not yet indicate where the hole is, you have to scout ahead a lot
Other Thoughts: Worth checking out now, soon to be on the area's best and tournament level course for all players. Tests every shot and ability, and is unrelenting in it's difficulty.