Live Oak, FL
Magnolia DGC Share
Uploaded By: denny ritner Hole #2 (Taken 5/2011)
Hole #2 Blue Tee

Technical!

1    1/14/2013   1/15/2013
Review By: larrod25
Pros: Nice property with previously mentioned store, bathrooms, and restaurant. The store has discs, but not really a selection. More like souvenirs with the course stamp.

Two good size concrete pads, tee signs, benches, and trash cans on every hole.

When I played there was no water or mosquitoes on the course. Overall it was in excellent condition, and navigation was very easy. Almost impossible to lose a disc.

Holes 2 and 18 are fantastic golf holes! If there were more holes like these, this would be an amazing course.
Cons: Distances on tee signs not correct for many holes, and the distances listed here are not correct. I think this is due to baskets being moved around, but it was difficult to judge the distances on several holes.

The red tees were way too short - at least 4 holes under 200 feet, and about half the holes were under 230. The real issue is that there was almost no line to the basket on several of these short holes.

I originally intended to play the blue tees, as the distance listed seemed more challenging. However, after standing on the first pad, I passed. The gaps (if you can call them that) are NARROW! Look at the picture of the teebox for hole 1. That is a 10 ft. gap at 75ft, on a 315ft. hole that turns right at the end. RHBH is impossible, maybe a RHFH if you have incredible control. It does not get easier from there.
Other Thoughts: This is an incredibly technical course. Leave your drivers in the car. You will need your driving putter and mid-range discs. There are maybe 4 or 5 holes that are long/open enough for a Teebird.

Overall, this was enjoyable round. I would not rank this course as high as many previous reviewers, and I would not drive from far away to play here. If you are passing through the area it is worth a stop. I think the locals must have all given this one some great reviews, as I can't imagine that passers through are rating this course over 4 stars.

Spectacular

2-4    12/23/2012   12/24/2012
Review By: sosdgc
Pros: This course is amazing. It has everything you could possibly need right there in the park, store(which sells discs), restaurant and camping available. There are 2 sets of tees and they are both challenging in their own right. There are benches on all the short tees and most of the longs, lots of trash cans which makes this course one of the cleanest I have ever played. This is definitely my favorite course in Florida.
Cons: The mosquitos can be pretty bad in the summer months, not so bad this time of year. There can be some flooding during the rainy season which can make it difficult to play.

best ive played

5+    12/12/2012   12/12/2012
Review By: chrisdefiant
Pros:
I've played some of the best courses in the country and this is my favorite hands down. Two sets of concrete pads and bench on each hole. Two pin locations on the back 9 and a second location on the front 9 coming soon. Very challenging long pads. Well maintained course. (Hard to find even a cigarette butt on the course!) Lots of old pine, oak, and magnolia trees throughout the course. Lots of garbage cans. Amenities are in the park abundant including primitive, full hookup, and cabin camping. Country store with beer, food and discs for sale. (Country store also rents golf carts) Cafe with good food and reasonable prices. And both within 300 feet of hole 1! Don't forget to check out the pizza and ice cream shop in front of the country store...best pizza in suwannee county! Beautiful beach on the suwannee for cooling off.
Cons: Sometimes the park has music festivals and the course is only accessible to patrons of the festival. Call ahead if travelling any distance.

Paid to get bitten by mosquitoes

1    10/9/2012   10/9/2012
Review By: thisdoesfine
Pros: I drove here for a birthday present to myself. I chose up to 300 miles from my house and chose the top rated course to go play. Unfortunately, I do not believe the hype.

Concrete pads are nice but weren't kept up and some blended in with the ground itself.

The layout is good, although I didn't know there was water or I wouldn't have come.

Very technical, and I enjoyed the challenge.... NOT beginner friendly.

Amenities on site are nice, although it seemed a bit creepy when we were there. We originally thought about staying a night and playing again but decided strongly against that.

Cons: The description led me astray. First off, it didn't say it was a pay course and we fumbled for money.

Second, it doesn't list water hazards as being in play and there are some NASTY water hazards breeding zillions of mosquitoes.

The water hazards do appear to be rain water, deep rain water that algae has formed on, so it's there a while, but the majority of the course we were walking through mud. They have even put some wood planks around the course to get you out of the mud. Sad because without that, the course does seem peaceful and enjoyable. -side note, I wouldn't dare go in the water to get a disc

Continuing on the mosquitoes, we put deep woods deet on and continued to get blasted by them. At one point I was shooing off 10 of them from my girlfriend's back (no exaggeration) I read a review that says to go in the winter, in my opinion DO NOT GO IN THE SUMMER if it is like it was in Oct 2012. I live in FL and I cannot believe how bad they were. It really ruined my experience of the course that may have been otherwise pleasant. I spent all my non throwing time itching or defending my family from mosquitoes.

Other Thoughts: I'm glad the local course to me doesn't breed mosquitoes like this one does. We have mosquitoes b/c we're in FL but all that standing, mucky algae water... they should put something in it to keep the mosquitoes from breeding or close the course during those times. At least don't charge people.

Date: 11/6/2012 Designer Response by: denny ritner
This reviewer unfortunately played the course following a 100 year flood event which swamped the entire county. As a result of the freak flooding, the mosquitoes were indeed terrible. This does not happen on a regular basis. It is our hope that the reviewer will have the chance to return to the course and enjoy it under dry conditions and update his review accordingly.

We do apologize that we weren't more on top of accurately updating the course conditions information and will work hard to keep this more up-to-date in the future.

In regards to the comment "NOT beginner friendly", we strongly disagree. The course has two sets of tees and the navigation directs first-time players intuitively to the shorter tees. The park hosts many music festivals each year and many players play their very first games of disc golf ever on this course. The walk through the woods is beautiful, the fairways are fair, the navigation is completely intuitive, the rough is light 8 months out of the year, the course is adorned with many cool pieces of local color, the locals are very friendly,and you can play while hearing music from the amphitheater wafting through the woods.

Best Golf Course

5+    7/4/2012   9/11/2012
Review By: caveman
Pros: Every hole has a concrete tee-pads, signs, the course is very well maintained by amazing disc golfers.
Cons: During the summer its hot and lots of mosquitoes, poison ivy.
Other Thoughts: The greatest disc golf course in the world !!!!

Wonderful Woods

5+    9/3/2012   9/9/2012
Review By: tree calculated
Pros: 2 sets of concrete tee pads for every hole. Course design is great, whether you play first 9 or back 9 you end up back at parking area after 9 holes. Park offers many amenities, cafe, country store (with discs for sale with park stamp on them), bathrooms, etc. Mostly wooded so it offers lots of shade. Challenging course at any skill level. Garbage cans throughout course so it is very clean. Benches at all the short tees and most of the long tees and some picnic tables in there too. An occasional beer or two is not frowned upon and pets are welcome as well. Every hole is named after a Grateful Dead song with the lyrics on the tee signs. There are not many other parks that offer as much as the SOSMP, golf carts, canoeing on the Suwannee, bicycle rentals, miniature golf, cabin rentals, etc. and the most awesome disc golf course in Florida.
Cons: There are not many cons here at the SOSMP. The mosquitoes and bugs can be pretty bad in the summer months but that is part of Florida.
Other Thoughts: Be sure to check the event schedule for the park. Their are many big festivals throughout the year.

Wow, this place is awesome!

5+    8/7/2012   8/7/2012
Review By: BamaSlamaJim
Pros: First, the course is just part of an amazing, huge park! We camped, bought beer at the "Country Store", had dinner in the cafe, sang Karaoke and drank in the music hall at night, canoed and swam in the Suwannee River, watched the bats come out at night, and saw people riding horses.

The course is completely wooded, with lots of shade. There is a nice variety of pines, oaks, and magnolia trees that define the holes. The holes vary a lot from short and super-tight to very long and medium-tight. It's a great thing to have the two sets of tees, because the long tees are very tough. I shot 15 over par the first time I played from the long tees and that was playing pretty decent golf. There's nothing unfair about the holes and you don't need lots of power to do well, but if you miss the gaps, you will be punished.

Each hole is named for a song, with lyrics on the tee signs, which is really cool since it is a music park. The tee pads are nice cement and most holes have benches. Also, the course is really easy to follow without a map or a guide.

We played two rounds from the long tees and three rounds from the short tees in 3 days at the park. The course is very addicting. The woods are almost hypnotic and I always walked off the course feeling that I could improve on my score the next round and looking forward to it.

We even played one round with some locals that had their own golf cart, which was great for toting the beer cooler. There's no one on the course, except for disc golfers, which just adds to how chill the whole experience is. Also there are some cool novelties. There's a stuffed animal dog with his very own dog house that people leave random presents for. There's a stick figure called "that guy" and a funky log that looks like a bear, which is dressed up like a movie star with a purple boa.

We cannot wait to get back to this park again, hopefully for a music festival. We also heard that they have disc golf tournaments with live music at night.
Cons: The rough is very rough in places. Thorns, huge spiders, ticks, and poison ivy are waiting to get you in the rough. We were told that it's much nicer to play there in the winter months.

It's kinda weird that the front nine has mach baskets and the back nine has the Innova baskets.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is my second favorite course, behind the Steady Ed course at the international center. Highly recommend this course to anyone visiting Florida.

Wanee? Wahoo!!!

2-4    4/19/2012   4/29/2012
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Magnolia DGC is a marvel in itself, but included with the Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park and surrounding beauty, it is truly paradise! One of my favorite courses in Florida, or anywhere. Camping is available on site, and there is a nice play area on the river. My only visits have taken place during Wanee Festival the past three years, and it is always a great time.

The forrest terrain has moderate elevation change on some holes. No water is present on the course, but there is plenty of thick rough to consider. There are always trees to account for, but the length and shapes of the fairways vary greatly. Usually, there is a good window, or multiple options off the tee, but some luck will be required as well as skill to land shots in good positions and post a good score. I am not familiar enough with the layout to really give a hole by hole breakdown, but trust me when I tell you every hole is consistent with challenge, beauty, and quality.

All of the holes were equipped with two roomy concrete tee boxes, and also two pin placements if I remember correctly. The signs posted the vital information at each hole, as well as a song title with credits and lyrics, providing a namesake for each hole. I wasn't paying full attention, but I think they were all Grateful Dead songs.
Cons: The only complaint I will make is the number of holes that had been invaded by Wanee festival campers. I think I was unable to play 5 or 6 holes out of safety concerns for people on the fairways. It is hard to hold it against them, though, because most of them are such nice folks. Perhaps fencing off vehicle access on the perimeters of the course would prevent most of this. If you are making a trip just to play this course, check to make sure the park isn't hosting an event at the time.
Other Thoughts: My first Wanee Festival was in 2010 and I played the course in its entirety. I was immediately in love, and longed for another opportunity to play the course, enjoy its lush beauty and atmosphere of general well being, as well as write a review. My words cant fully describe how awesome this course is. Even the bad throws can't dim my smile here. Finally I made my return to the Magnolia DGC, and Wanee Festival, and even an abbreviated round leaves me with no option but to advise any serious disc golfer to play this course if you can. Reminds me of: Nevin Park in Charlotte, NC or Patriots Park in Grovetown, GA (sort of).

Gorgeousity

1    4/10/2012   4/10/2012
Review By: Jesterian
Pros: Beautiful course in the North Florida Woods. I played it from the long tees which are certainly challenging considering the fairways. Many tee shots require very precise placement in order to have a clear upshot or putt. On the par 4s you are very very unlikely to eagle without hitting a field ace. On a whole, this course is challenging and enjoyable
Cons: I do enjoy variety in a disc golf course which this one is somewhat lacking in. It is all tight fairways.
Other Thoughts: Would definitely play again if I got the chance!

5+    3/6/2012   3/13/2012
Review By: simon14
Pros: Great course,great park with lots of other thing to do.
Most of the par 3`s are ace runs.Awesome Tee signs with music lyrics on every one.Plenty of benches and tables.
Cons: Would like to see a few open holes.This course is in the thick woods.Be sure to bring bug spray becuase the ticks are bad.
Other Thoughts: Really like the course.Park is awesome with lots of places to camp....Overall it is worth playing.