Live Oak, FL
Magnolia DGC Share
Uploaded By: denny ritner Hole #14 (Taken 5/2011)

Best Golf Course

5+    7/4/2012   9/11/2012
Review By: caveman
Pros: Every hole has a concrete tee-pads, signs, the course is very well maintained by amazing disc golfers.
Cons: During the summer its hot and lots of mosquitoes, poison ivy.
Other Thoughts: The greatest disc golf course in the world !!!!

Wonderful Woods

5+    9/3/2012   9/9/2012
Review By: tree calculated
Pros: 2 sets of concrete tee pads for every hole. Course design is great, whether you play first 9 or back 9 you end up back at parking area after 9 holes. Park offers many amenities, cafe, country store (with discs for sale with park stamp on them), bathrooms, etc. Mostly wooded so it offers lots of shade. Challenging course at any skill level. Garbage cans throughout course so it is very clean. Benches at all the short tees and most of the long tees and some picnic tables in there too. An occasional beer or two is not frowned upon and pets are welcome as well. Every hole is named after a Grateful Dead song with the lyrics on the tee signs. There are not many other parks that offer as much as the SOSMP, golf carts, canoeing on the Suwannee, bicycle rentals, miniature golf, cabin rentals, etc. and the most awesome disc golf course in Florida.
Cons: There are not many cons here at the SOSMP. The mosquitoes and bugs can be pretty bad in the summer months but that is part of Florida.
Other Thoughts: Be sure to check the event schedule for the park. Their are many big festivals throughout the year.

Wow, this place is awesome!

5+    8/7/2012   8/7/2012
Review By: BamaSlamaJim
Pros: First, the course is just part of an amazing, huge park! We camped, bought beer at the "Country Store", had dinner in the cafe, sang Karaoke and drank in the music hall at night, canoed and swam in the Suwannee River, watched the bats come out at night, and saw people riding horses.

The course is completely wooded, with lots of shade. There is a nice variety of pines, oaks, and magnolia trees that define the holes. The holes vary a lot from short and super-tight to very long and medium-tight. It's a great thing to have the two sets of tees, because the long tees are very tough. I shot 15 over par the first time I played from the long tees and that was playing pretty decent golf. There's nothing unfair about the holes and you don't need lots of power to do well, but if you miss the gaps, you will be punished.

Each hole is named for a song, with lyrics on the tee signs, which is really cool since it is a music park. The tee pads are nice cement and most holes have benches. Also, the course is really easy to follow without a map or a guide.

We played two rounds from the long tees and three rounds from the short tees in 3 days at the park. The course is very addicting. The woods are almost hypnotic and I always walked off the course feeling that I could improve on my score the next round and looking forward to it.

We even played one round with some locals that had their own golf cart, which was great for toting the beer cooler. There's no one on the course, except for disc golfers, which just adds to how chill the whole experience is. Also there are some cool novelties. There's a stuffed animal dog with his very own dog house that people leave random presents for. There's a stick figure called "that guy" and a funky log that looks like a bear, which is dressed up like a movie star with a purple boa.

We cannot wait to get back to this park again, hopefully for a music festival. We also heard that they have disc golf tournaments with live music at night.
Cons: The rough is very rough in places. Thorns, huge spiders, ticks, and poison ivy are waiting to get you in the rough. We were told that it's much nicer to play there in the winter months.

It's kinda weird that the front nine has mach baskets and the back nine has the Innova baskets.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is my second favorite course, behind the Steady Ed course at the international center. Highly recommend this course to anyone visiting Florida.

Wanee? Wahoo!!!

2-4    4/19/2012   4/29/2012
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Magnolia DGC is a marvel in itself, but included with the Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park and surrounding beauty, it is truly paradise! One of my favorite courses in Florida, or anywhere. Camping is available on site, and there is a nice play area on the river. My only visits have taken place during Wanee Festival the past three years, and it is always a great time.

The forrest terrain has moderate elevation change on some holes. No water is present on the course, but there is plenty of thick rough to consider. There are always trees to account for, but the length and shapes of the fairways vary greatly. Usually, there is a good window, or multiple options off the tee, but some luck will be required as well as skill to land shots in good positions and post a good score. I am not familiar enough with the layout to really give a hole by hole breakdown, but trust me when I tell you every hole is consistent with challenge, beauty, and quality.

All of the holes were equipped with two roomy concrete tee boxes, and also two pin placements if I remember correctly. The signs posted the vital information at each hole, as well as a song title with credits and lyrics, providing a namesake for each hole. I wasn't paying full attention, but I think they were all Grateful Dead songs.
Cons: The only complaint I will make is the number of holes that had been invaded by Wanee festival campers. I think I was unable to play 5 or 6 holes out of safety concerns for people on the fairways. It is hard to hold it against them, though, because most of them are such nice folks. Perhaps fencing off vehicle access on the perimeters of the course would prevent most of this. If you are making a trip just to play this course, check to make sure the park isn't hosting an event at the time.
Other Thoughts: My first Wanee Festival was in 2010 and I played the course in its entirety. I was immediately in love, and longed for another opportunity to play the course, enjoy its lush beauty and atmosphere of general well being, as well as write a review. My words cant fully describe how awesome this course is. Even the bad throws can't dim my smile here. Finally I made my return to the Magnolia DGC, and Wanee Festival, and even an abbreviated round leaves me with no option but to advise any serious disc golfer to play this course if you can. Reminds me of: Nevin Park in Charlotte, NC or Patriots Park in Grovetown, GA (sort of).

Gorgeousity

1    4/10/2012   4/10/2012
Review By: Jesterian
Pros: Beautiful course in the North Florida Woods. I played it from the long tees which are certainly challenging considering the fairways. Many tee shots require very precise placement in order to have a clear upshot or putt. On the par 4s you are very very unlikely to eagle without hitting a field ace. On a whole, this course is challenging and enjoyable
Cons: I do enjoy variety in a disc golf course which this one is somewhat lacking in. It is all tight fairways.
Other Thoughts: Would definitely play again if I got the chance!

5+    3/6/2012   3/13/2012
Review By: simon14
Pros: Great course,great park with lots of other thing to do.
Most of the par 3`s are ace runs.Awesome Tee signs with music lyrics on every one.Plenty of benches and tables.
Cons: Would like to see a few open holes.This course is in the thick woods.Be sure to bring bug spray becuase the ticks are bad.
Other Thoughts: Really like the course.Park is awesome with lots of places to camp....Overall it is worth playing.

Sugar Magnolia

1    1/31/2012   2/24/2012
Pros: 1) Nice large concrete tees allow for whatever runup and angle you need.

2) Simple signs have all the necessary information . . . Hole #, Par, Distance and a general layout of the hole. The map isn't super specific but you can get the picture of the general direction of the hole. Each hole has been named and it has a set of song lyrics on each hole too. There are a bunch of music festivals here which I would love to catch sometime. What a perfect place for a disc golf course and a musical venue! Checkit out http://www.musicliveshere.com...ent/index.php

3) Dual tees are always appreciated on tougher and longer courses. I played the long tees just because and my scores showed!

4) Mach baskets with number plates facing the tee which is always appreciated. The number plates have been taped with yellow tape making them much more visible in the woods.

5) Nice use of directionals to help with navigation through this course.

6) Someone had a sense of humor with this course because of the random things found in trees and along the fairways. First there is Petey on #3 . . . the dog with a sort of shrine around Petey. I left a little matchbox car that I had found at a course earlier in my roadtrip. I don't know if Petey was supposed to help me make a few birdies or what, but my score didn't reflect any magic. Then there was a fake person later on and a log that sortof looked like an animal with a purple feather boa and purple hat. This reminds me of the first time I saw something like this on a disc golf course (The Sinks in Chattanooga) when I found a gnome in a tree. I laughed aloud the first time and this time I just found it amusing.

7) The fairways seem to be fair . . .they will challenge you for sure but the shots are definitely manageable.

8) The fallen leaves create a nice cover for the soil in the woods. I know this is more a time of year thing but it was a positive for me when I played.

9) They did not charge me even though I was an outsider . . . perhaps there is only a charge at certain times or during their peak season? Either way it was worth a few bucks for sure. I probably should have left a donation to say thanks but I did not think of it at the time.

10) Benches and garbage cans in a few locations through the course.

11) Options are available on many of the holes . . . maybe a tighter more direct line is possible from time to time or take the much wider but longer shot. Options are always a good thing. This contributes to the risk/reward of certain shots.

12) Completely in the woods so no matter what time of year it is, you will not have to deal with the sweltering sun and heat.

13) Restrooms and a general store (with discs and supplies for sale too) are closeby to the course along with all sorts of other activities in the park. A weekend music festival would be awesome where you could squeeze in many rounds throughout the day and the concerts.
Cons: 1) There tends to be a little bit of underbrush . . . or more specifically fallen trees and branches just strewn throughout the areas adjacent to the fairways. I would much rather see these branches and trees cut and/or chipped up.

2) Even with the two sets of tees this course will maybe be too much for beginners. I would imagine a lot of people get introduced to the game during their musical festivals and extensive camping areas so I would like to see the course more manageable for beginners. It may not be designed this way intentionally, but to suit the use of the property and the land I would say a third st of tees (even if they were just timbers in the ground).

3) I can imagine when the ground isn't covered with leaves from the recent fall . . . that it would be muddy from time to time, but when I was here is just after the fall leaf drop and it creates a nice cover for the ground.

4) Elevation change is minimal on most holes and the course as a whole, but there are a couple where the elevation change plays a role, but overall the elevation is negligible.
Other Thoughts: I had a wonderful time getting beat up by the long tees. I am sure I would have had more fun playing the shorts and being rewarded for parking some shots but the blue tees simply make most holes unreachable for me to get a decent rewarding birdie. I did get two birdies on the day, one took a 45' putt and another took an incredible threading up the middle of the tightest fairway out there. I gave it a good acerun but had to settle for the 2. This is simply put a well designed course with very fair but challenging fairways. I am thrilled I was able to finally get here as I have had this course on my radar for 2 years. To quote Arnold Schwarzenegger "I will be back."

Great Discing and a Whole Lot More!!

1    12/30/2011   2/4/2012
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 2/11/2012
Pros: Charming course on private property with public access.
• Lots of challenging, well wooded fairways requiring control and finesse. Great variety given the land its on: nice mix of distances. Many fairways shaped to offer a choice of lines, with some forcing pretty much only one, but always requiring good execution whatever line you choose.
• Dual red/blue pads genuinely offer amateur vs. pro challenge.
• Tee posts with hole # and distance for both the red and blue tees help you find the next tee, and feature song lyrics; adds a nice touch IMO (someone really appreciates Jerry Garcia's work).
• Well laid out, nice flow from basket to next tee.
• Benches and trash cans throughout the course.
• Great location: with no other courses within 40 miles or so, Magnolia is kind of an oasis in a bit of DG desert. When you consider that this place really does attract people for lots of other activities, it's particularly well located to bring disc golf to people who might not otherwise know it exists.
• Plenty of shade to help beat the heat when the temp rises.
• Restrooms, food and lots of extras on site (see other thoughts).
Cons: Although the course is laid out in a nicely wooded, aesthetically pleasing section of the park, this parcel of land has its limitations. My only real knock on the course has more to do with the land than the design or layout, and I give the designer props for getting the most out of what he had to work with.
• With wooded hole after wooded hole, Magnolia starts to feel a bit repetitive towards the latter part of a round.
• Essentially flat, only a few holes featured a modest elevation change.
The combination of these attributes make the course seem a bit one dimensional. A couple of more open holes, an uphill or downhill shot, and some rollaway greens that increase risk reward would spice things up a bit and make for a more complete disc golf experience. For this reason alone, I can't say the course itself is excellent (4.0), but there's no denying it's very good (3.5).
Other Thoughts: Spirit of Suwannee Music Park offers great disc golf and a whole lot more. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for road trippers with family members who aren't that into disc golf. Check out their website for a complete listingof things to do here: http://www.musicliveshere.com...thingstodo.php

I'll just mention a few key extras here:
• General Store a short walk from the 1st tee, 18th basket (stop here for score cards).
• RV and tent campgrounds on site with bathhouse and semi/private showers.
• Cafe and music hall near the course. After a round, you can stop in for a bite, dancing and entertainment.

SOS's charm, atmosphere, convenience and amenities help make a very good course an excellent place to play, and IMO, are worth an extra 1/2 disc in its rating.

A+ = A musical modern day miracle!

1    12/29/2011   1/16/2012
Pros: Here is what I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 hole courses (over 215 played so far):

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == A+
(With the combination of multiple airway routes to chose from and narrow gaps to hit (or miss if you get too aggressive or careless), there is plenty of punishment to be had on this wooded gem of a course. One thing I really liked was that it is rough enough to spank you hard in its punishment, yet open enough to offer lanes for heroic recovery tries if/when you get off the fairway. If you are not a solid Blue level player or above it is very possible you might feel that many gaps are too tight and the lengths are too long to be a fair test of your skills. You will be right…..and rightly so since from the Blue tees this course is unapologetically a test of real Blue level DG skills done to perfection!)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me (I rate only from the long tees). I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == A+
(Other than maybe 1-2 holes, this course's length (and length to width ratios) center perfectly around my skill set. A few holes are too long for me to realistically want to go for in "responsible" stroke play, but are worth "going for" either to have fun or if my back were up against the wall in a tournament situation. With the combination of the risk/reward merits of the course, I found myself excited to throw on almost every single tee….and begging for a do-over when I messed up, or cheering for myself when I succeeded. It is a rare experience for a course to provide that non-stop euphoria throughout the round….and Magnolia had me on that high the entire round!)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography. == A
(To repeat for the 3rd time: this course is absolutely right up in my wheelhouse! The only reasons I did not give Magnolia an A+ in this category is it is actually too wooded and could use maybe just a little more variety in having a few holes with a different vibe than the redundantly wooded holes. Obviously a small complaint….and one I do not recall ever making in any review I have written. The other shortcoming of this course is that it is flat…..no one to blame that on except maybe Plate Tectonics. But the design of this course overcame that short-coming to the point that Magnolia has edged out Castle Hayne (Wilmington NC - Harold Duval designed) as my new favorite flat course.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A
(Seclusion is wonderful on this course as you see very little civilization for most of the course and the little that you do see has a rustic unobtrusive feel. The course is very tidy feeling, but I imagine catching it in December as I did was probably prime-time in this department. It is not necessarily gorgeous beauty-wise, but is very very nice. One thing I rarely factor into this part of my rating is the ambiance of the property and the amenities……but, I would have to say that the whole down-home folksy music festival vibe (which is magnified by the cool lyrics adorning the tee signs) did rub off on me and take me to a happy place. A unique experience for me so far in my DG adventures for sure.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == 3 bonus points for this.
(Lots of spectacular par-4's on this course! True 2-throw holes where placement on the drive is key on many just to have an opportunity to attempt a challenging and rewarding upshot for a birdie 3 putt attempt. And, on others reward is to be had by taking more risk by trying to push the drive further up the fairway. Unfortunately no par-5's….although on a couple of the holes my scoring average would certainly be on the north side of 5!)

PS: I grade courses on a school grading system…60-100 with no F's and the average/center point being a B-….been doing that for a long time and started transferring my ratings list to the similar 11 level rating system here when this cool/amazing site came online.
I gave this course a grade of 96….which is the low end of an A+, but a 5.0 on the DGCR scale.
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well this course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. See my profile for specifics on my rating philosophy.

I fancy myself as a connoisseur of good course design and I am a competitive Blue level (950-ish rated) with mid-level power (accurate to 300' with max D of 360'). Since I have played a decent number of courses (215+ 18-hole, 120+ 9-hole as of late 2011), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me…..and that's the fun of things here.

Fantastic

1    12/19/2011   12/23/2011
Review By: allent
Pros: As the title suggests, I found this to be a fantastic course. This was my first time here and I put that I have played the course once, but technically I played it through from the front tees and then turned right around and played it through once from the back tees. The tee pads were all in excellent shape and a good size. There were a bunch of trash cans on the course and I believe at least one bench at every hole, if not one at each tee pad. The tee signs were simple, but adequate and seemed to have accurate distances and basic basket direction. The flow from hole to hole was very easy to follow for the most part and there were several next tee signs or arrows to assist. I love that 9 and 18 both bring you back to the start so you can grab something out of the car, drop something off, etc. The course plays fairly challenging from the front tees, but with a number of opportunities for birdies. The back tees create more of a pro-style course that makes it extremely difficult to shoot par or better unless you've got all the shots in your bag and know how to use them.
Cons: I wish I could remember which hole, but after one of them I looked up for the next hole and didn't see it or any sort of sign. I did just kind of walk off to the right though, and found it, so not a big deal. As I mentioned in the Pros, the course was easy to follow, but I mention this because it's hard to come up with Cons on this course. It's always a Con to me to have to pay to play, but this course is well worth the 2 bucks (or less if you have a carload). Don't bother looking at the park signs for anything disc golf related. It's almost like they don't want to admit that it's there. Ask the person at the pay booth for directions, but basically go behind the first building you see to the left after the pay booth and you'll see a crude course sign, picnic tables, a practice basket, and the pads for the first hole. One other thing that wasn't a big deal to me, but that would go in the con list is that the baskets are not all the same and some are taped and some are not.
Other Thoughts: I'll definitely be back to play this course and I hope I can make it over for one of their tournaments. I've had a conflict during the last 2, but I'm still hoping. This is one of the best courses I've played (out of 16 in 4 states at the time of writing this) and I really feel like if I lived closer and could play this course a lot, it would make me a much better, and more accurate disc golfer. If you are anywhere close, make it a point to go play this course!!