Live Oak, FL
Magnolia DGC Share
Uploaded By: denny ritner Hole #13 (Taken 5/2011)
Hole #13 Approach

Great Course!!!!

1    10/29/2010   11/7/2011
Review By: kfellmy
Pros: Two dollars to play a course during the week that I had it all to myself. Hard to play. All types of shots are required...as a novice I learned plenty this day. Some long holes and some short. Really a great variety of hole types. A few low canopy shots where you are on an elevated tee pad. It's a bear from the long tees and slightly less bearish on the shorter tees. I enjoyed this course for the most part.
Cons: Cons are: some difficult navigation from hole 7 to hole 8 if I remember right. I didn't see any signs to the next tee. I read the reviews that this has been fixed. Only other con was yellow jackets. I can't remember what hole but when I reached for my disc I got jabbed three times. My disc landed right on top of their nest.
Other Thoughts: While returning back to Florida from Memphis I decided to disc golf my way home. This was one of the stops. It's been a year ago and I should have written this earlier but never got around to it (or writing my trip report also). This was one of my favorite courses. I just wish it was closer to Cape Coral.

Very challenging

2-4    8/5/2011   8/10/2011
Review By: DrumPhil
Pros: Very challenging, plenty of obstacles, variety of turns, 90 percent shaded play, multiple tee-pads, well maintained, no discs lost, very easy to navigate w/o a map, well marked tees and trails
Cons: It gets very hot in the summer regardless of the shade(get out there early or late in the day), bring a Camelpack or a big water bottle full of gatorade because you will sweat.. A LOT
Other Thoughts: I've never played from from the anything except the blue tees... until this course. The first day I played the 1st 9 on the blue pads and did terrible and was very frustrated. This course is extremely challenging from the blue pads. The second day I played all 18 from the red pad and actually enjoyed myself much more, but it was still very challenging.

Playing in the Forest!

5+    6/8/2011   6/8/2011
Review By: insaneforchains
This review was updated on 8/11/2012
Pros: We are locals that have the pleasure of playing this beautiful course every day. The course layout is great, 9 and 18 bring you back to the parking area which is right behind the General/Country Store. The store is conveniently located where they sell everything you could need including discs with maps of the course. You can also pick up scorecards in the store with a map printed on the back. There are many other amenities that are available in this park such as the SOS cafe, homemade ice cream, canoeing, camping and much more. This is a very challenging course from the blues or the reds which requires a definite variety of shots all around and don't forget to bring your bag of tricks. All the tee signs have been updated or replaced recently so navigating the course is not a problem. It is a beautiful course under a tree canopy for the majority of the course and is well maintained. Benches have been put in at every hole for the red tees not all of the blues have been done yet. There are garbage cans at every other tee so let's keep the park clean!!!
Cons: This course gets a little rough in the summer months, it is the forest. Bug spray is a requirement in the summer as it takes care of the mosquitos, ticks, biting flies, etc. You can't do much about the poison ivy, oak and sumac or the banana spiders. It is a pay to play course although the price is reasonable, $2 per person or $5 per car. There are a few weekends throughout the year that they have music festivals and other events where it is more to enter the park so be sure to check on that. If you have not made it to a music festival here I would highly suggest checking it out www.musicliveshere.com.
Other Thoughts: Other posts indicate that it is difficult to find the course once inside the park as it is not marked well. The people that work at the booth where you pay to get in are very helpful and maybe this will be helpful as well. After you leave the booth where you pay to get in, look to your left and you'll see a big building (Music Hall) turn into the parking area just before that building and follow around to the back side, at the end of the little wooden fence look to your left again and you will see the wooden sign with course map just off into the woods that is where tee pad 1 is.

One of Florida's Best

1    3/7/2011   3/7/2011
Review By: jeremytf
Pros: -All concrete teepads for both red and blue tees, which must be quite new, based on some of the older reviews

-Nearby amenities -bathrooms, drinks, snacks in the store, trash cans all over the course.

-On the weekday that I went, I only saw one other group the entire day

-Between the longer blue tees and the shorter red tees, the course can fun and challenging to a variety of skill level players. You have to be precise to play this course well!!
The blue tees would be difficult for pros because of the length and hole design. The red tees are challenging for rec players but also include some shorter holes (~200 ft) to give them good birdie chances.

-I say the hole designs from the blue tees are challenging because there are some fairly long holes with dogleg fairways that would require two easier drives or one long, creative drive - risk versus reward!

-Dense tree canopy shades almost the entire course and leaves a bed of pine needles and leaves on the ground. This means very little underbrush or grass, which makes it easy to find to find discs and walk the course. You probably won't lose any discs. There was also very few bugs, but that's probably because I went in early March

-The fairways are well carved between the trees - they felt like the right width to be fair and challenging… but you will pay if you don't hit the line you shoot for. At the same time, there aren't any ridiculous tunnel fairways.

-Some of the signs and directional arrow aren't in great shape, but there are plenty of them so it was very easy to find my way around the course - even without a map. There was never a time when I wasn't sure what direction to go

-Elevation change! In Florida!! OK, I know…. Not that much compared to other states, but c'mon, this is Florida. To have SOME elevation changes /hills that affect the game is a great bonus.
Cons: -I printed a map from this site to find the Suwanee RV park and general area, but it would be about impossible to find the course inside the park without asking someone. The first tee is tucked back behind the store.

-The density of the trees is very consistent throughout the course. I would have preferred a little more variety - like a couple holes that were more wide open, for example.

-Could have used a few more benches / tables

-The tee signs are pretty amateurish, but I'm nitpicking
Other Thoughts: -I paid $2 to the woman at the entrance to the RV park to get in. I would have paid more for this awesome course. It seems very well taken care of.

Far Exceeds Expectations!

1    1/20/2011   1/29/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: While on a 20 course roadtrip through Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina, I have to say this was the biggest surprise and definitely one of my favorites from the trip. Set in a sort of a vacation village the course for the most part is quite quiet and away from all other activities. It wraps through moderate to tight woods and from the back tees has several extremely challenging par 4 holes. From the blue tees you've got a great mix of distances, right/left/straight angles of all sorts, layup shots, and a few multiple fairway windows to navigate. While there are several birdie holes out here, you'll need a well thrown shot to get'em. Both a pro and a con, the blue tees had holes that would challenge skill levels across the spectrum from amateur to elite pros. While this means that pretty much anyone who can manage tight woods will be tested by this course, it also means that there are holes out there that will play much too easy for the top golfers.
Cons: In my opinion, the red tees made this course a bit too recreational for most tournament disc golfers - as mentioned above, another slight con is that the blue tees aren't consistent in terms of challenge, some holes will play very easy for gold level players while others will provide great challenge (perhaps too much for amateur and below level players).

Not really a true 'con' but hole 14 would be amazing if lengthened by about 200' or so. There is a grove of really tight, nasty, twisty trees behind the pin with a natural entrance window. To expand this hole to a true par 4 or par 5 would create a really interesting layup to the edge of the grove and then an intense scramble to the pin through the grove, kind of a mini Paw Paw or Patapsco!
Other Thoughts: This course is killer and remains my favorite Florida course, beating out the very impressive T2 course down south in Orlando. Take a trip, you won't regret it!

A great equalizer

2-4    1/22/2011   1/24/2011
Review By: IGotDisc
Pros: I normally don't write reviews but because of my experience I thought I would on this one. Also, there have been a number of changes that have not been mentioned on here. I have had my eye on this course and I finally got to play it. The facility and staff are great and were very nice and helpful when a friend and I showed up to play. The general store that's there has custom stamped Innova discs that are great for souvenirs or if you need a new disc in a pinch. They even sell beer if you're looking to partake on the course. Restrooms are in the store for the ladies and are easy to get to after holes 9-18 like a good course should.

2011 UPDATE (from what I've read on here): The course now has concrete pads for the entire course. The old carpeted ones have been removed. I also read on here someone stating that there weren't enough trash cans and I saw plenty out there but I really wasn't keeping track of those. The course offers different pin positions to change it up for the locals on some holes but I only noticed this option for the back nine.

I loved this course! I titled this review as an equalizer because it is challenging and makes the big arm bombers lose their pride as they are forced to play golf rather than flexing muscles and bragging about it. I played on the red tees per the recommendation because I am not a power thrower and had birdie chances all day and my first chance at an eagle on a par 4. I only saw three or four holes where in my opinion the blue tees would require a big arm. Maybe I'm used to longer courses???

I can see where depending on which tee you choose could change the course around to make two courses out of one although there are some that the blue tees should be combined with the red. The course still has tight, narrow fairways that make you play smarter, not aggressively. This course really puts everyone on an equal playing field to test every throw you have in your bag.

Refer to the previous reviews from others for detailed info on the holes. I really enjoy the technical courses although it would be nice to have one hole that you could really unload on.
Cons: There are no signs off the course that indicate where the course is and we had to go into the general store to ask where it was if you're a first timer. Also, the scorecards they offered us were only the back nine. We took two and indicated the difference. I wish there was a course layout somewhere. It is not available online and the make shift board they painted it on isn't very helpful. Symantecs…

Although it wasn't not too bad to figure out where the next hole was, some of the signs were in bad shape. Some were rotted and knocked over and needed to be maintained. The signs themselves are made of paper copied onto the color of the tee and placed in sheet protectors. I would think if there holding women's pro tournaments there that they would put some more attention to those to make the course more appealing. Again, to me this wasn't an issue to effect your game.
Other Thoughts: I don't know if I would recommend new players to start on this course. It could ruin the motivation given how challenging this course is. Living in Florida I agree with the comment that you should only play this course Oct through June. Bugs can get real nasty in courses like this. If you need somewhere for the summer time, I recommend playing Northside Park in Gainesville. It's about 45 minutes south of Live Oak. I am definitely going back!!!!!!!!!!!!

A whoopin in the woods!

1    10/14/2009   10/26/2009
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: Baskets are very nice, mach on the front nine, discatchers on the back nine, all in great shape. Mostly rubber pads on the front, and concrete pads on the back. Tee signs present and very informative and complete. Very nice surroundings, some cool activities available on the grounds, in a music park, with camping available. Nice general store right at the beginning/end of the course, with mini grocery store and a decent selection of discs. Included in their plastic inventory when I was there was a decent stash of flat-top rocs.

The course provided a great technical challenge, every hole through woods, of varying density and tree make-up, and very well-kept. Some of the LONGEST technical wooded holes I've seen before, I loved it.

There is a hole to test just about any kind of shot you can imagine, hyzer, anhyzer, forehand, etc, and trees at every turn to keep you from taking an "easy" way out.

My memorable holes:
1 - Very tight window to hit with a medium flex shot (RHBH). Hit the gap 100' off the tee and a mild fade back left should park for a deuce.
2 - Long slow hyzer to somewhat open landing zone, then a tight approach through some guarding trees to the basket.
4 - Hoe Lee Sheet. When they say this is the most difficult hole on the course there is no comparison. I was HAPPY to take a 7 on this hole. If you can thread the drive out to the bend in the fairway (not easy mind you and several hundred feet), you might have a chance at an approach shot to the basket. I would bet you could count the number of people who've 3'd this hole on one hand.
6 - Long, long, RHFH shot. If you have accurate placement FH you can leave a decent approach for a three. Unfortunately I don't have the FH precision to hit the line.
10 - Very cool short, tight tunnel which I happened to be able to thread and get my 3rd and final deuce on, very satisfying to hit this line!
11 - Start off open and short shot to the dogleg right, decent FH (RHFH) will get you a nice second shot, which most likely won't get you in putting distance. You will probably have to take a 3rd shot to get close enough to then bang chains. A three on this hole and you are truly awesome.
17 - Sugar Magnolia, signature hole? Very tough shot through the gap, over a dip and up the hill. Long approach around to the left. I was very thankful to get a 5, I thought I did pretty good for a noob.
18 - Crazy Fingers is right! I thought I had an awesome shot up to the basket but NO the dang skinny branches of the trees in the middle of the fairway reached out and knocked my great shot down. Great end to a great course.
Cons: My main complaint was that I really like at least one or two open holes on a course where you can unleash. Usually a good course will have at least ONE long open hole for you to really grip and rip. I guess the con here is lack of variety. All holes are wooded. All holes are tight. All holes are technical.

Another mild con is that even on the course website you only have maps for the first nine, and while it is great there is no info beforehand. Also a great benefit would be an overall map, showing how to pull into the music park and navigate to the best parking place for the course. However everyone there was very helpful in helping me find a place to park my truck and navigate the course.

Not much variation in terrain, and some very loose footing in places due to the sand, but what are you going to do? It's Florida after all.
Other Thoughts: I absolutely loved this course, as I really like tight wooded technical courses, however I would have liked a couple open holes. The course was VERY beautiful overall, and very well laid out.

The course page suggests that you have to pay to play, but I did not. I don't know if this is just good timing on my part, but I just pulled up, parked, and played, good times.

I highly suggest hitting this course up, even if it's a little out of your way, definitely a gem hidden back in some off-the-beaten-path land, and great find in north Florida!

Nice and Shady

1    8/16/2009   8/19/2009
Review By: 33tango
Pros: Nice facilities, friendly staff. Discs with course map on them on sale at site. Baskets and tee pads are in good condition,
Cons: Some trash cans would help, a fair amount of trash on the course. There isn't much elevation but this IS Florida.
Other Thoughts: Tee sign for every hole, I must have been looking at some of them wrong as not every one made sense from what I was seeing. Parking was adaquate. Camping available on site. Not another soul on the course to see but it was Sunday during church time.

Great Course

2-4    3/29/2009   4/16/2009
Review By: I3ooI3oo
Pros: Great course, and if you ever get the opportunity to see a show at Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park I would suggest to bring your disc and your A game if you want to play the Blue tees. This spring 4-5 fairways had 1 ft tall lilies covering them. The feeling of just playing in the wood brought me back to my childhood growing up in Florida. There is no rules about bring a few beers on the course, which is nice for those that like to have a beer while playing. And ever few holes there is a trash can at the tee, so we can all help keep it beautiful.
Cons: The only con to think of is that when we played it was spring and the ticks were pretty bad. Though I was the only one to get any on me (could be my game is still young), but find 8 over a few days of playing was a little much. Though I would not really blame the course.
Other Thoughts: Great course that is attached to my favorite place to see live music. If you like music I am sure there is a show there that you would love.

don't miss the course

1    3/6/2009   3/8/2009
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: Very pretty walk in the woods even if you don't play disc golf. There is a sign stateing that this is a 1000 rated course. I believe it. If you play the blue tees, you will need a big arm. No matter what tee you play you wiil need precision and the abilithy to shape shots. You need to have all the shots in your bag to get you out of trouble. I did not see water however there are a number of spaces roped off as OB. I assume these places get marshy after a rain. Finding your way around the course is really easy even without a course map. There is an obvious path and plenty of arows pointing the way. The back nine is all concrete tees, both Blue and Red. The first nine is the Blue and Red carpet. I found the carpet tees in excelent shape and very playable. This course is obviously routinely maintained.
Cons: If I was forced to come up with a con I would say they could use a few more benchs on the course.
It was rather unique seeing Discraft baskets on the front nine and Innova on the back. I did not find his a con but it was suppriseing.
Other Thoughts: This course is located in The Spirit of Suwannee RV park. There is a veritable plethera of things to do here. From camping to a cafe, store, many craft shops, horseshoe pits, homemade icecream shop and more. They host many music concerts here during the year. This course is only about four miles off of I 75 and truly worth the detour to play.