Live Oak, FL
Magnolia DGC Share
Uploaded By: denny ritner Hole #15 (Taken 5/2011)

1 2 3 4 Next >
 Nice and Shady

1    8/16/2009   8/19/2009
Review By: 33tango
Pros: Nice facilities, friendly staff. Discs with course map on them on sale at site. Baskets and tee pads are in good condition,
Cons: Some trash cans would help, a fair amount of trash on the course. There isn't much elevation but this IS Florida.
Other Thoughts: Tee sign for every hole, I must have been looking at some of them wrong as not every one made sense from what I was seeing. Parking was adaquate. Camping available on site. Not another soul on the course to see but it was Sunday during church time.

Great Course

2-4    3/29/2009   4/16/2009
Review By: I3ooI3oo
Pros: Great course, and if you ever get the opportunity to see a show at Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park I would suggest to bring your disc and your A game if you want to play the Blue tees. This spring 4-5 fairways had 1 ft tall lilies covering them. The feeling of just playing in the wood brought me back to my childhood growing up in Florida. There is no rules about bring a few beers on the course, which is nice for those that like to have a beer while playing. And ever few holes there is a trash can at the tee, so we can all help keep it beautiful.
Cons: The only con to think of is that when we played it was spring and the ticks were pretty bad. Though I was the only one to get any on me (could be my game is still young), but find 8 over a few days of playing was a little much. Though I would not really blame the course.
Other Thoughts: Great course that is attached to my favorite place to see live music. If you like music I am sure there is a show there that you would love.

don't miss the course

1    3/6/2009   3/8/2009
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: Very pretty walk in the woods even if you don't play disc golf. There is a sign stateing that this is a 1000 rated course. I believe it. If you play the blue tees, you will need a big arm. No matter what tee you play you wiil need precision and the abilithy to shape shots. You need to have all the shots in your bag to get you out of trouble. I did not see water however there are a number of spaces roped off as OB. I assume these places get marshy after a rain. Finding your way around the course is really easy even without a course map. There is an obvious path and plenty of arows pointing the way. The back nine is all concrete tees, both Blue and Red. The first nine is the Blue and Red carpet. I found the carpet tees in excelent shape and very playable. This course is obviously routinely maintained.
Cons: If I was forced to come up with a con I would say they could use a few more benchs on the course.
It was rather unique seeing Discraft baskets on the front nine and Innova on the back. I did not find his a con but it was suppriseing.
Other Thoughts: This course is located in The Spirit of Suwannee RV park. There is a veritable plethera of things to do here. From camping to a cafe, store, many craft shops, horseshoe pits, homemade icecream shop and more. They host many music concerts here during the year. This course is only about four miles off of I 75 and truly worth the detour to play.

Awesome Course, Challenging But Fair

2-4    12/30/2008   12/30/2008
Review By: Kurt Hodges
This review was updated on 7/5/2009
Pros: Magnolia DGC (MGDC) is a medium to short length course from the short tees (i.e., big arms aren't a huge plus), but the back tees are nasty and long (the scorecard even says "The Blue Tees are very difficult. It's highly recommended that most players play from the Red Tees"). I wholeheartedly agree.

MGDC sets up well for the finesse player with good control and a good bag of tricks. A birdie is a possibility on all 18 holes (as they have par marked). However, MGDC is still challenging. MGDC is moderately rolling (for Florida), heavily wooded and shady, but there is still the expectance that if you focus and stay within your capabilities you can improve your game and score. If you want to add some more challenge and length, just play the longer, blue tees (38% longer and positioned at a different angle). The blue tees present a totally different look and bring more trees into play (i.e., you better have a long, tight drive dialed in). The staff have really kept the place open yet heavily wooded. So, there are lots of trees, but they are more mature (i.e., the canopy is closed off) with very light understory.
Cons: There really are no complaints that I have for Magnolia DGC. That being said, I would give Magnolia 5 stars if all the tee boxes were concrete. However, even the carpet is in great shape and the tee area is level.
Other Thoughts: Magnolia DGC is a must play if you are anywhere near Live Oak, Florida. I drove from my home in Tallahassee with a friend to just try it out (89 miles one way), and all can say is I will be back again soon. Currently, I would say it my favorite course. This is the eleventh different course I have played (2-24 hole, 7-18 hole & 2-9 hole courses), and it is hands down the best balance I have found. I love this course, and all I can say is whoever laid out the course did a great job.

Best Technical Challenge in Florida

5+    10/28/2008   10/28/2008
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 8/5/2012
Pros: This course really makes players think and play golf. The fairways are fair and bad shots are punished. The course requires the ability to hit tight lines and shape shots, including many opportunities to throw "S" shaped shots.

Strategy and the ability to scramble are put at a premium. Players will have many opportunities to decide whether or not to roll the dice. Those that make poor decisions will make big numbers.

It's a beautiful walk through the woods whether you're an advanced player, a beginner, or a spectator. A herd of deer can frequently be spotted running across fairways. Fairly low chance of losing plastic. Easy to navigate.

The 700 acre park is an outstanding place to get away for a couple days. Canoe/kayak rentals are available to traverse the Suwannee River. Cabins, RV sites, and primitive camping are great. There's a cafe, a country store, horseback riding, live music most weekends in the music hall, etc., etc., etc.

While I agree with Innovadude that the blue tees are very challenging, 80% of players should take advantage of the red tee option.
Cons: As Innovadude mentioned, there is some poison ivy on the course. There are also a few lower areas that can get muddy following a big rain.

In the summer months ticks and huge banana spiders are in abundance. It can be oppressively hot in the summer when the air's still. The course gets overgrown in the summer. The optimal playing season is October through June.

During major music festivals (5 weekends per year), the course is only open to ticket holders. Please be sure to call and check with the park before heading out.
Other Thoughts: The blue tees have been designed such that an even par round of 63 will be about a 970 rated round.

The red tees have been designed such that an even par round of 63 will be about a 900 rated round.

The course plays a bit harder than those numbers at present, but will continue to get a bit easier over time as we continue to trim a bit and grind up stumps in fairways.

Remember: Don't be a dirty disc golfer. If you pack it in, pack it out!

I'm surprised the designer hasn't reviewed it yet.

1    10/27/2008   10/27/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: -It will challenge and force every level of player to accept that they are mortal men. Par is set at 63 and could be set higher in my opinion.
-Long AND tight, allowing for some smooth tunnelly drives but mostly shorter accuracy and placement shots with intent to have a good place to throw an upshot or two, or three, from.
-Well cleared fairways for how new it is, brushhogged'.
-Many cement tees, the rest carpet which does the trick.
Cons: -Small but widespread ivy on a few holes that is unavoidable you will land in it.
-Still not all cement tees
-Signs do not yet indicate where the hole is, you have to scout ahead a lot
Other Thoughts: Worth checking out now, soon to be on the area's best and tournament level course for all players. Tests every shot and ability, and is unrelenting in it's difficulty.

1 2 3 4 Next >