Canton, IL
Spoon River DGC Share
Uploaded By: gregwil2 Hole #1 (Taken 12/2011)
3 / 235ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

the little couse that could have been

1    9/7/2009   9/11/2009
Review By: hognosesucker
Pros: -Good variety in length of holes (250-600)
-Hole 1 is a nice short hole that ends in a hard dogleg right
-most holes over 300' (not really a beginner course, making it a potentially nice complement to the other park (big creek(http://www.dgcoursereview.com...php?id=1008))
-nice powder blue machs on 6 of nine holes
-decent land use of a small area
-grass was better maintained since the first reviewer played with one exception (see cons)
Cons: -grass teepads that have a board to show the end of the pad on some, but not all
-no facilities (no bathroom, water, or shelter)
-sign missing on hole 7
-no baskets for holes 4 and 8, and 7's basket was badly mangled
-grass around basket 1 hasn't been cut all summer
-no tree trimming has been done so holes like 7 (which should be a tight straight shot through the trees ends up being a big hyzer around the trees)
-the tee for hole 6 stands right behind (5 ft) a massive, low branched tree (a relic of no tree trimming I think).
-I found the sleeve for hole 8 and it is dangerously close to the exit of a walking path through the woods, but I doubt that the path gets a lot of traffic.
Other Thoughts: -Overall, I'm glad I hit this course as Canton is 30 miles off the interstate and it would have been a waste to not get more than 1 round played in the area, but if I come this way again, I'll skip this and play a few rounds at big creek.

If baskets and tee signs had all been there, and tree trimming was accomplished this would be a decent course, I felt like there were enough trees to make it challenging, especially with the length. However I agree for the most part with the previous reviewer that the course could be redesigned easily to make it a good, fair, tough course.

Also, I'm guessing that alot of the problems are probably symptoms of the recession, I doubt the college has a lot of money to throw at grounds keeping and maintaining the trees for a DGC that doesn't get much play.