Spring, TX
Spring Valley DGC Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #7 (Taken 8/2009)
4 / 612ft.   3 / 237ft.   3 / 237ft.   3 / 264ft. Par / Distance:
Hole F6 / (this is the one hole from F not included in T; play it with T to play all 28)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
awesome place

5+    11/23/2013   12/19/2013
Review By: rodeo_cwboy
Pros: I like the difficultly of each hole. no open grip and rip unless you play the power 9.

The club house rocks with a great selection and the owners provide a friendly family atmosphere.
Cons: to me.. I wish I lived a little closer to play it more often.

5+    10/10/2012   11/7/2012
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: -First of all this course has the best selection of discs on the north side of town. It is easy to go in and spend $40-$50 on brand new discs.
-The concrete tee pads are great, the baskets are in wonderful shape.
-Most of the holes are shaded which can be a huge pro in the heat of summer.
-There are a few memorable holes. The front 9 of the finesse are all unique and can be exciting.
-All of the finesse holes are relatively short. This would be a good place to bring a new player so that person can see what a high caliber course looks like.
-The power 9 holes are VERY unique to Houston. You will not find too many courses where you have 800'+ holes and if you have the big arm this could add a bit of fun for you.
Cons: -Really, the only big con I can think of is the long walk from the clubhouse to the first tee and from the 18th tee back up to the clubhouse. It is unavoidable with the golf course being right there but it can be a bit of a walk.
-Holes 13-17 have over lapping fairways on a few holes which can really be problematic for a person who has never been here without a map. All tees have signs and all baskets have numbers on them. Just be aware of where you are and where you are shooting at.
Other Thoughts: This is a premier course for the North Houston/Spring area. With the high quality pro shop and a small green fee this course gives you a taste of what a high quality course looks like.

This is one of the best courses in the area and if you play Stonebridge Church less then 10 minutes away you can give yourself a fun filled day of disc golfing.

High Hopes were Destroyed

1    10/29/2012   10/30/2012
Review By: Tiny
Pros: This course has a couple of pros, and cons that can not be overlooked.
The pros would include, well maintained course, mild variety of shots needed, great for beginners, and power 9 are interesting enough to make a return trip from DFW. It's cheap to play, and I couldn't really see my self paying anymore than that, for that course. I liked the scenery a lot as well. A bunch of cool designs around the course.

Also, the area it's in is a nice neighborhood.
Cons: Where do I start?
Out of the way of most things in that neighborhood, Not easy to spot from the road(to be fair that's just that neighborhood, Great neighborhood though), worker didn't seem to know much about the course.

Onto the course it'self.
It lacks variety of shots. You only need 3-4 throws, (long anhyzer, straight shot, short hyzer, and putts). Not many holes break 300' in distance(Finesse 18). The course only flows well on the first 1-5, after 6 you have to backtrack to get to 7, and 13-17 is a headache even with a map. You're not allowed to fish your discs out, if you put them into the drink(I understand why, but for out of towners it makes it difficult to get em back). A lot of the back nine are the exact same throw, just 20' difference between em. I had a variety of discs in my bags for the hopes of throwing different lines, and ended up using a total of 5 different discs, (Buzzz, Surge, Wizard, Gazelle, and the occasional Monarch tomahawk, just to give me a different throw to use.)

Not really a con, but will be labeled as one because people should know. I'm not sure which hole it's next to, but in the headache of 13-17, there is a standing pool of water that is guaranteed to harbor unwanted mosquitoes. We didn't really have an issue, because we always wear bug spray, but I can see an probable issue.
Other Thoughts: Favorite hole by far is #4. It was well designed.

I was let down big time, on my trip I saved it for Monday, so we could save the best for last. It let me down. I enjoyed the course, but that's because I love playing regardless of where. There is better courses around that area. If you plan on playing this one, do it first with enough time to play another near there, just so you don't feel as you wasted your day.

The course is around a ball golf course, and the guy that was running the pro shop, was obviously a ball golfer and didn't share my love for the game. I liked their selection, but they were out of the some of my favorite discs, that I planned on purchasing. (Volt, XS in max weight in Z plastic, and Air Saint)

I will play here again, but it'll be after I play the other Houston courses.

Too Much Finesse

5+    2/9/2012   2/9/2012
Review By: skyisblu
Pros: Nice pro shop stocked full of your typical run of plastics

Power 9 holes

A few of the finesse holes stand out (4,5 & 7), but most you could argue are filler holes, repetitive and have no realistic fairways.

This is a great site, the land is good overall and has tons of potential.

Best Holes - Power 1-9
Cons: Many of the finesse holes are not legitimate golf lines. There are too many trees in the fairways many times, and trees too close to the teebox making more luck than skill.

Worst Holes - Finesse 3, 8, 11 & 18
Other Thoughts: This could be a top notch site if it was re-designed as a solid 18 or 21 holes that played in and out of the woods, instead of 18 crammed into the woods and 9 big open shots. I give this course a 1.5 passable rating because it does pass as fun overall but not as good as other courses in the Houston area.

The Disc 'n' Ball Share Course

2-4    1/7/2012   1/14/2012
Review By: hefalump
This review was updated on 1/19/2012
Pros: I was impressed at first with this course. Andi Lehman did a good job laying out this course. The "Power 9" is just what it is supposed to be: Nine long grip and rip holes for the power arm bunch. Not recommended for the short throwers (this includes me). The Finesse 18 is a different story. You are playing through the woods surrounding the ball golf course. With the exception of holes one and two, which are straight throws toward baskets about roughly 300 feet away each, you will be playing around the creek that runs by the course for the next seven holes. Hole 8 is a straight throw across a narrow stretch of fairway before a dogleg to the left and one hundred additional feet to the basket. My favorite on this course. Holes 10 through 18 continue play in the the woods and are variously tricky in and of themselves. Especially hole 11 which has a fairway loaded with trees. A good challenge overall. A good variety of holes and a nice 18 hole course is the finesse 18. I like the supply of a broom at every tee to sweep off any leaves or other debris. Benches are present at every tee as well. All tees in the woods are concrete. Liked that for this course.
Cons: When you start to mix the power 9 with the finesse 18 you will be utterly confused. Transition hole 14 has no tee that I was aware of. I just found a stake for a tee and threw at a basket I saw in the distance. I could not find the baskets mentioned for half the power 9 holes. And the ultimate con: the rule that you could not try to retrieve your disc if it flew into the ponds or creek. This course gets a half disc knock-off just for that rule!
Other Thoughts: This course has one of the best stocked pro shops I have seen for a disc golf course. If you spend $25 or more there your play on the course is free. Otherwise it is a $3.50 green fee. All-in-all, it is worth the fee. I still disagree with the non-recovery lost disc rule, whether they recover the discs and call you or not. Sorry Andi, remove that rule and you will get a three-disc review from me. Otherwise, the best you are going to get is a 2.5 from me. Play the course (finesse 18 recommended). It is worth the greens fee and you just might find a disc you are looking for in the pro shop. Also, Andi is pretty nice. She gave me some good disc advice and the benefit of some of her disc golf knowledge. And for a beginner like me, that comes in handy from time to time. For those of you that find my review unhelpful due to my objection to the "no recovery" rule must not have irretrievably lost a disc in a pond or a stream. If you ever play this course, lose a disc, and find it for sale in the bargain bin of the pro shop, then you will probably understand.

Spring Theme

1    10/24/2011   10/26/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Spring Valley DGC is very well worth the $3.25 green fee. The finesse 18 is a run through the woods with plenty of tight lines and punishing rough. Course is mainly flat, excepting boggy fringes eroded around a few of the holes. Fairways are often crowded with trees, and steep angles are necessary to cut the right lines. The tee pads were all concrete, and tees were marked with the distance on each. All baskets were in good condition. The flow was fairly easy to follow, and a course map/scorecard is available in the pro shop. The Power 9 is along the ball golf course. I only played 1 and 9, on my way to and from the Finesse 18, but it seemed fun and well laid out.
Cons: The mosquitoes were huge, bring bug spray. Maybe concerns about ball golfers interfering with play in the power nine, shouldn't be much of a problem elsewhere. Clearing some more brush and limbs could make the Finesse much less frustrating, but I liked the added challenge on the mostly short holes.
Other Thoughts: Spring Valley DGC should be your next stop if you are nearby and haven't played there yet. I found it to be a very fun course. Nice facilities, pro shop, and sweet overall disc golfing. Highly recommended to serious disc golfers in the Houston vicinity and otherwise.

Only course ive lost a disc..

2-4    3/24/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: shawnsink
Pros: This course is beast! Power 9 has some brutally long holes...hole 1 is 936 ft...take that as a good or bad...finesse 18 is a super fun technical course in the woods,times ive been out there,i didnt have to wait on anyone or vise versa.
Cons: The water hazards(when we actually get rain) are pretty brutal...hole 1 of the power 9 has a pond next to it on the left and a retention pond on the right...i was weary since it was my third time ever playing DG but i did ok...untill i got to finesse hole 1...ricked off a tree straight into the creek..alot of walking involved with this course too hah
Other Thoughts: overall one of my favorite course to play..its well kept..its only 3 bucks to play and the pro shop is nice.a couple hole can be frustrating but thats to keep ya on your toes! haha

Greatness!

5+    4/29/2011   5/3/2011
Review By: MrNiceFella
Pros: Elevation changes are very hard to find in Houston but this course has them. Course is well designed, clearly marked, well kept, and has tons of holes. Tee pads are top knotch! The pro shop has mountains of discs to choose from too!
Cons: Golfers are not always very courteous of disc golfers. Make sure and make your presence known and that you have as much of a right to be there as they do.
Other Thoughts: This is my personal favorite course in the Houston area. It is challenging enough to push my limits without being so challenging that I end up frustrated.

Relaxing Spring

1    2/19/2011   2/22/2011
Review By: GFWilliams
Pros: This course has a great layout with heavy use of trees to make even the shorter shots challenging.
Cons: My biggest problem with the course is with the massive amounts of thorned plant life in the area. It seemed like most of the probable trouble spots had either rose bushes or thorny vines hanging from the trees. This made some retrievals more than a little painful while not adding anything to the overall difficulty of the course.
Other Thoughts: It looked like it may retain water after a heavy rain. The pay to play price is reasonable, but unless your in the area, I wouldn't make a long drive when there are free courses closer. Overall a good course.

Has grown on me

2-4    11/17/2010   11/19/2010
Review By: coyotepower
Pros: Deep in the woods. Total seclusion. Perfect serenity of the great outdoors. Rarely have to wait for others. Awesome holes, Lots of challenges, tough course!
Cons: Long walk to F1, signage is a big confusing on 9-18 of the Finesse course.
Other Thoughts: First time I played this course I swore I would never return. Not only was it pay to play, but I lost several discs. But that was then, and 3 years later I am a much better player with far greater tools in the bag and a better understanding of the game. Now, I appreciate it for the challenge it provides after becoming complacent at moffit, jester, macgreggor,etc. Played here the other day and it was simply perfect - the terrain is still rough, but it is how DG is meant to be. I would almost call this course Houston's version of the Circle C in Austin. I hope whoever buys this place keeps the DG tradition and course alive!!!

< Prev 1 2 3 4