Appling, GA
IDGC - Steady Ed Headrick Memorial Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #4 (Taken 10/2011)

A Complete Disc Golf Experience – what didn’t they think of?

1    12/25/2011   12/27/2011
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: The Headrick course (in fact,this entire complex) serves to show what disc golf can be given the proper resources and planning.

Great shot variety and elevation changes with many beautiful views of the lake, and several holes where it comes into play (depending on the water level). Mostly wooded with a few tee shots that are fairly open, as well as a good variety of distances provide a nice mix. Multiple lines have you thinking about how to play virtually every tee shot. Holes 12 and 14 were my personal favorites, but there's no lack of quality holes on this course.

As you'd expect, the course itself is excellent, but all the amenities and little touches put this place over the top:
• Best tee pads I've ever played on; coarsely textured concrete - spacious and grippy even when wet.
• Best practice putting green you'll find anywhere
• Several tricky pin locations
• Very little underbrush, so it's easier to recover from shots that bounce off trees, and easier to find discs.
• Drop zones serve as short pads for less accomplished players, and have red tee posts and grippy rubber mats.
• 3 colored flags on each basket not only enhance visibility, but are different weights so they indicate wind speed: red for 6 MPH, white for 12, and blue for 18 MPH… simple, yet ingenious.
• Benches and wonderful signage at every basket.
• Navigation: Next tee pointers at bottom of baskets and next tee signs all over the place along with maps available near 1st hole. If you don't find the next tee in 60 seconds or so, you're not trying.
• PDGA HoF and Pro Shop, tournament pavilion with drink machines.
• Boot cleaners located just outside the Pro Shop to brush the mud and dirt from your shoes.
• Camping onsite
Cons: They got so many things right that the cons pale in comparison, but:
• I don't mind pay to play, but that's in addition to the park entrance fee - still worth it to play these courses.
• Signs don't show pin positions, and you can only play the single location they're in (some courses keep pins in both positions - Lemon Lake Silver/Gold for example). Would have been nice to at least have seen the long pin positions.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend a visit here to any serious player who's inclined to make a road trip. I would rate the course about 4.0 - 4.5 on the disc play alone, but feel justified in awarding 5.0 based on this as a destination: two add'l championship caliber courses on site, along with the long list of amenities and all the thought that went into this place make it something truly special indeed. I could go on and on, but won't. You already know whether or not you want to visit this place, and I doubt anything I say here is going to change your mind.

As for those who listed all the trees as a con, I have to assume they just prefer a more open layout. I found the fairways on the Headrick course challenging but quite executable rather than "pitch and pray" and anything but unfair. I can't believe someone mentioned the trapezoidal shape of the pads as a con… really?

Ed Lives On!!!

1    12/20/2011   12/22/2011
Review By: KGB84
Pros: -Large Tee Pads
-Nice benches
-Great tee signs with picture & distances
-Very nice Blue DGA baskets
-Good flow to course
-Fairways are just that Fair, yet very challenging still.
-Next tee signs
-Elevation(Ups & Downs & in between)
-IDGC clubhouse/Pro shop on site
-Pavillion to sit under
-Drink vending machine
-Amazing warm-up area behind clubhouse
-IDGC staff is very welcoming
-DG Hall of Fame on site
-The area is completely dedicated to the courses.
Cons: -Pay to play
-Raining while I was there
-Very secluded location
Other Thoughts: This course finishes third out of the 3 courses located at the IDGC complex for me.
This is only because I liked the others better. This course is as difficult as the other 2 are. With very technical bends in fairways and tricky basket placements. Seemed that a lot of the baskets were in the shorter positions when I played. This course would have edged out the Jackson course for 2nd place if all placements were in the long positions.
All in all, another superb course to be enjoyed at the IDGC Complex. Go get a tent and spend some time at Wildwood Park playing at the IDGC.

This is how it should be..

2-4    10/2/2011   10/2/2011
Review By: mx23ang
This review was updated on 11/15/2012
Pros: Lets see Im not sure where to begin, maybe with a super fun downhill opening hole that defines this course. Hit the line provided or hope and pray it will get sneaky because this place has fair well defined fairways but once you get off your gonna be scratching your head on how your gonna advance your next one. I found myself doing this several times thoroughout the IDGC but I love the wooded challenge that makes you really focus on your line, but you can get sneaky out here unlike the warner course. I could list pros about every hole but I guess I will skip to the super scenic and fun holes. 5 is a great downhill left fade that plays over water when the lake is up, still a fun hole if it hasnt been raining much. I love #6, it presents multiple lines but most people first see a big hyzer. After seeing my fellow golfers at NCSU hit a skinny pine guarded by another pine messing with my hyzer I decided to play a S line roc and parked it for bird, take the strait line its not to punishing. 8 has an awesome green with huge boulders, likewise on 9 and 3. Love the S line on 10 and hopefully you wont turn it to hard to get a big S on 11, you will need, it is quite long. 12 is beautiful with a fade right over land that was once lake, likewise on 14. Great use of elevation and diversity on this course, no two holes are really alike and you will remember picteresque images throughout many holes. A bench on every hole which is nice and a great detailed map giving the lines and distances.
Cons: Although it has great signage it doesnt give the current pin so your guessing sometimes exactly where the pin is but hit your line/the line given and you shouldnt be disappointed to bad. To be so official set up like a ball golf course the lack of trash cans is really the only other thing. I thought there was one bad hole on this course from both the long and short pad but not as bad on the shorts. 4 is an immeadiate fade left and then up a long hill, the rough on the right side(which is probably where you will miss it) is really thick and advancing it is super tight. Made the par of a lifetime on this hole after having a horrible drive, early tree on my 2nd and an amazing up and down with a long flick
Other Thoughts: Because of the mere spectular native imagery, challenging but fair design, and the officiallness(lol) of this place this course is my favortie at the IDGC even though all are a great experience that you will not forget. With on-site camping and two other epic courses this is how disc golf should be set-up. The clubhouse is great with plenty of discs and clothing. The feel of ball golf is high around here and it makes you think your playing with the big boys when you see those drives sailing down well manicured tall georgia pine fairways

Grateful Ed-head

5+    7/20/2011   7/25/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Steady Ed Headrick Memorial is a course with very nice amenities, along with challenging and picturesque design. Scorecards and maps are available in the IDGC pro shop, and each hole has a tee sign mapping the hole. All of the holes have a long tee with a concrete pad, and newer red short tees, which are rubber pads that are level and quite nice. The red tees are a nice addition if you want an easier round, but there are still some holes with teeth. The handsome, blue powder coated Mach 3 targets with flagsticks are sweet! Many holes have multiple basket positions. A few baskets are on cool outcroppings of rocks. There are some holes with considerable elevation changes, some holes with water in play, some with both, and wooded fairways throughout. I love hole 5, an elevated tee with two lines over a cove in the lake. There is a RHBH window you can really crush over the water if you feel up to it. 17 is another hole I particularly like, even though it is often cruel to me. The basket is close enough to drive, but is on a hill near a creek so bad rolls or tough comebacks on missed putts can cost you.
Cons: Not a lot to complain about here. If you don't know the layout, and don't have a map, navigation might be a little tricky in one or two spots between holes. This course could be hard if you have trouble with steep, hilly terrain. Length and heavy woods make this course difficult even for experienced players. A great round will require many more great throws than most average disc golf courses.
Other Thoughts: Steady Ed would have been proud to have his name on this course, I'm sure. I only wish he lived long enough to see it completed. This course is close to perfect. If only my house was nearer by. I highly recommend playing here to any serious disc golfer with an opportunity to do so.

Steady Eddie

1    7/22/2011   7/24/2011
Review By: BobStutts
Pros: The course is well marked and the signage is great. The scorecard and map from the Pro Shop are good additions. The course will test all of your shots as well as expose you to some great Georgia foothill scenery. As a old senior I did play the short tees. This helped keep me out of the lakes. I did find the water in the gorge on 17. Every hole is good but if you are tree prone you might want to use an older disc.
Cons: As to the course none. I am from Georgia and I have spent many hours in the woods and around the water. While retrieving my disc out of the gorge, which wasn't easy, I did note two "Cottonmouths" in about 8 inches of water within 30 foot. When one uncoiled and moved my way I found I could climb out much faster than I climbed in.
Other Thoughts: It as a 100 degree plus day. I still would take nothing for the experience and look forward to someday playing the other two. This is the home of PDGA and we should all be proud. If you are anywhere near that part of Georgia don't miss it. Also the two employees there were as nice as one could ever hope for. So was the dog.

Awsome Course

1    7/23/2011   7/23/2011
Review By: YellowWraith
Pros: I love that there are 3 IDGC courses right besides each other with a many holes that are on lake.. There are good variety of short and long holes. All holes have signs that point you to the next tee box but some holes can be confusing without a map. Steady Ed will test you with some holes that can be punishing
Cons: There are a good bit of holes that have trees taken and sawed down that havent been picked up. Had the hardest time trying to retrieve some discs in these areas. Holes 6, 13, & 14 baskets were a little confusing at first bc they are bundled so close you kind of dont know which basket to throw for. The baskets that are close to the water can be punishing and needs to be manicured. There were a few times when i had to go digging through thick shrubbery not knowing if there were any moccasins nearby. This is i am a first time player at Steady Ed
Other Thoughts: Overall, Steady Ed has a couple of cons but with it being a competitive IDGC course that has something for everyone,this is one of the best courses i have ever played.

A Majestic Tribute!

2-4    6/15/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
I love this course, so please allow me to rave about it because it's one of my "Top Favorites"!
My Rating = 9.5 (out of 10)

Design
*Water holes! To me hole 12 is a World Class hole that is among the prettiest I've ever played. With the lake on the left for most of the fairway and then a green with water around it's a classic!
*Terrain beauty- I loved the woods, the grass in many fairways, the lake, the streams, the ravines, the cool rock formations…
*Elevation changes galore! 10 Up/ 7 Down/ 1 Flat. Many are really big changes (-42, +36, -27, +20, -20 ft…) Some are down-up shots over gullies, some are up-down shots.
*Fairway variety- very well balanced, and many holes have multiple fairway routes. 6 Straight/ 5 Left/ 7 Right
*Length variety is awesome! The baskets were mixed between the A and B positions and had 4 of 225-299/ 4 of 300-399/ 4 of 400-499/ 3 of 510-590/ 3>600. This may be the best variety of lengths I've ever seen.
*Multiple basket layouts- 2 on every tee
*Greens. All are good, with some that are spectacular
*Clear fairways- this course is a model of how to create fair and wide fairways while leaving strategically placed trees as obstacles.
*Rough- perfect. Even though most of the holes are in the woods the rough isn't too thick so it's reasonable to get back to the fairway.
*Nature- the drive there takes you out in the country and the course is set way back in the park, so you're really away from everything

Basics
*Baskets- blue dipped Mach IIIs
*Tees- long raked concrete
*Signs- beautiful, with color maps, sturdy.

Amenities
*Warm up area- there are half a dozen baskets spread out in the largest warm up area I've ever seen!
*Map of the course- colorful, detailed, accurate. Couldn't be better.
*PDGA headquarters and Hall of Fame Museum. You're not going to find that anywhere else! Lots of discs and equipment for sale too.
*Restrooms in the IDGC building
*Next tee markers- yellow markers at the base of each basket (even though a few weren't pointing in the right direction)
*Wind strength flags on the top of the baskets are a really nice extra touch.
Cons:
-Markers for the current basket position! There are several simple ways to mark the layout on each hole, and this would really help to make the course more "First Time Friendly" (FTF). Since I couldn't see 7 baskets from the tee (4B, 7A, 11B, 13B, 15B, 16A, 18B), and since many of these holes are quite long and the fairways can vary dramatically from A to B baskets, it was frustrating and irritating to spend time scouting them out. This was just irritating enough to keep me from giving this course a 5 disc rating.

-A few of the ingenious "Next tee" pointers weren't pointing in the right direction, but this is a very minor quibble.
Course Level = Blue (most suited for Advanced players rated 925-975)

This course is most definitely a "must play", and the IDGC is worth a 5 or 6 hour drive to get to. An ideal day would be to camp at the park and play all 3 courses. Make every effort to play this course!

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My Enjoyment Ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

Look in the "Links/Files" section for my files with Hole-by-hole ratings and a more detailed Overall review. You can also read more of my review philosophy and rating notes at Disc Golf Course Reviews
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm always trying to improve my reviews, so if you mark this review unhelpful or you find a mistake, please send me a personal message here on DGCR to tell me what is wrong with it. I'll be grateful for the feedback.

Prototypical

1    5/4/2011   6/12/2011
Review By: DWill
Pros: A well designed course, that plays next to a beautiful lake, with about half the holes actually bordering the lake. Of the holes that border the lake, half have the lake on the right hand side of the fairway, while the other half is on the left hand side, making it equally fair to both lefties and righties. There are a few holes where you throw over the water as well.

Though not a long as the other courses on site, in the long pin position, it is still plenty long. Combine that with the great variety in elevation changes, the steep uphill holes play longer.

Each hole has an informative tee sign, nice sized concrete tee pad, flag at top of the basket for easier viewing from a distance, and two pins placements per hole. Plenty of next tee signs to aid in navigation, but a course map is recommended for first timers.

The course is well maintained and very clean. Nice touches, like water coolers spread through out, that add to the overall course enjoyment. The course is part of the IDGC complex, so there are two other courses available, a pro shop, bathrooms and snack bar, along with plenty of parking.
Cons: As nice as the tee signs were, there wasn't any indication of what pin was in play.

Some of the hole distances on the tee signs and course map didn't match.
Other Thoughts: Though the shortest of the three courses, it is still very challenging, especially when the long pin placement is used. I felt like this was a prototypical course, it has everything, length, water, elevation, multiple pins, and challenges every skill level. It's not overwhelming for a beginner, or too easy for a pro.

Like the other two courses on site, it was well designed and had a professional look and feel about it. Definitely worth the beating it will give you while playing it.

Excellent Course For An Excellent Man

1    5/23/2011   5/31/2011
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: The Steady Ed course is an excellent example of what you can do if you have the proper land, money, designer(s) and desire to put in a fantastic course! I'm really torn between this and the WR Jackson as my favorite of the three courses but why worry about that now, I can just say that this is what disc golf should be and that this course has been done right.

The biggest differences between this and the other two courses here is that this course has more of the nearby lake coming into play as either danger off the fairway or just straight throwing over the water to your landing zone. The other thing that really stuck out to me about this course was the use of double fairways, landing zones and approach lines. It looks like the designer(s) went and walked this property over and over and test played holes over and over to find the optimal distances, lines, landing zones and rough areas.

One of my favorites was hole #5. While I was playing here this basket was in the long position and played as par 4. I really enjoyed the double fairway; the right route out and over the lake for those more daring and trying to get a three and the left route for less confident golfers who want to play more conservatively. Neither of these fairways are easy to get through and even a nasty kick on the safe route could have your disc heading for the drink.
Cons: The biggest issue I have with this course is that the long positions aren't always playable and these are moved around at random during the year.I know this isn't exactly a con but everyone's experience here is a bit different and I think that if I hadn't had 6 long positions in while playing my rating might be a bit lower but don't get me wrong the short positions aren't bad they just aren't as challenging and not as fun as some of the long positions. A friend of mine said that it would be nice if they both positions in all of the time and just have two basket for each hole, long and short and I actually agree with this. Going along with all of that I think that some of the short positions on the par four holes aren't long enough and create a tweener hole where the long basket would really help out.
Other Thoughts: Holes 2, 5, 7, 13, 15 and 16 were all in the long position while I played and I really enjoyed the contrast of the back and forth short and long positions. I believe that if both pins were in all of the time I would probably play a mixture of the best short and long pins.

This is an excellent course and combined with the other courses on site you really get an awesome disc golf destination here. You have to check out the IDGC building and the Steady Ed Museum which was some cool disc golf artifacts and pictures and discs from long ago. One of my favorite things in the Museum is the hand written PDGA member book of the first 3000 members that Steady Ed wrote down himself! Things have changed a little since then but nothing will change the way we feel about this great man.

Best of the three

1    4/21/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a nice forested area with underbrush thick enough to punish errant shots, but not so thick it'll eat discs. Nearly all the holes have defined lines through the woods, there's not a single tee that lets you just throw hard without thinking through your approach to the hole. Elevation comes into play on several holes, with some steep uphill and downhill holes to add fun and challenge. A few pin placements have roll away potential to add some interest to the short game.

The lake is in play on several shots, and it's used excellently. None of the holes forces you to throw over water, but several have a birdie line that risks getting wet and a safe shot that almost guarantees an extra stroke. There are two pin placements on each hole, and they change the difficulty of the course quite a bit. They were mixed between shorts and longs when I played, all shorts seemed like it would offer a ton of birdie chances, and the long layout would be a tough blue level challenge. Both offer a great mix of hole shapes that make you shape various lines or risk tough recovery shots. There are good concrete long tees, and good signage that shows the hole distance and layout for both pins.
Cons: Many of the holes are blind, which wouldn't be a big deal with good signs, but you never know which pin placement is in use. That means that on a lot of holes you have to walk up the fairway to figure out where to throw, which gets a little frustrating. The beginning of the course gets a little repetitive with several holes in a row that just go up or down the hill, a little more variety in this part of the course would go a long way.
Other Thoughts: This is a very cool facility with three great courses. This one was my favorite, it had the highest fun factor and the most variety, but all three are definitely worth playing while you're here. Beginners will have the most fun on this course, it's the most scenic, and the shortest, though it can still be pretty punishing to errant shots. More experienced players will find lots of tests of their line shaping skills here, there's not as much distance as the other two courses but the long pin positions still call for a few long drives.

While you're here, take a few minutes to check out the museum inside, there's lots of really cool disc golf history!