Appling, GA
IDGC - Steady Ed Headrick Memorial Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #8 (Taken 10/2011)

I'm sorry Ms. Jackson

2-4    6/27/2013   10/15/2013
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Fun. One of the most fun courses I've played. Maybe it's the fact that the other two courses on this property are such behemoths of disc golf. Maybe this is the exact change of pace needed. Maybe it's the perfect balance of elevation and hole shapes, the scenic views of the lake, who knows.

As with all courses at the IDGC, the baskets and teepads are pristine and perfect. Extra bonus to Steady Ed having a variety of pin locations for every hole.

As far as holes go, I'm a huge fan of the very first. A slow downhill shot requiring a midrange down the heart in the short, it's a basic hole but there's something about it. Maybe it's the fact that it's just a good way to build up the anticipation for the rest of the course.

Hole #5 is my favorite on the track. A beautiful shot overlooking the water, with the option to throw a slight hyzer over it to try and get the two, or to take the safe route. Both times I've gone over the water and shockingly enough, made it across.

All the holes out here are at the very least solid, some spectacular. I really just wanted to mention five because it's such a fantastic hole from a playing and aesthetic standpoint.

Even though this is the shortest of the three courses, certain pin placements can still be lengthy, so don't let it fool you. Play smart golf, stay in the fairway, you will score well. This is the easiest of the three by a large margin so after you get beat down by Jackson, this is a nice reminder that you don't suck as bad as you had thought.(hopefully)
Cons: None. The only thing separating this course from being a five in my mind is it does slightly lack that certain it factor required to score a five. The fact that it's on a property with two other fantastic courses though makes the destination as a whole an easy five.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite of the three. It's what I consider to be the most fun & the prettiest, and while I certainly love and appreciate the challenging golf on the other parts of the property, sometimes its nice to just relax.

The IDGC is fantastic. I'm glad to have it in my home state. The pro shop has a solid selection of plastic and other disc golf related items, some cozy couches to cool down on and a lot of cool disc golf history to browse.

I'd say everyone needs to make the trip here at least once, there's some other courses absolutely worth playing in the area as well.

More IDGC greatness!

1    9/12/2013   9/15/2013
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: 1 of 3 courses in the IDGC complex in Appling, GA. On site there is a great pro shop, picnic tables and gazebo, as well as a handful of practice baskets. This is a truly great destination course and facility.

The Steady Ed course offers multiple tee pads and basket positions so some of the exact hole layouts may change depending on when you play. There could also be issues with high water by the lake that could change the difficulty or set up. There are signs at each tee pad and navigation aids to help you get around. As could be expected here pads are well done concrete. Conditions and upkeep were excellent.

This course is simply on a great piece of land that offers up everything you could want for a top notch technical course. The first hole tee off downhill toward the lake and uses the woods and elevation well. It is just a glimpse of what is to come.

Almost every hole here is wooded and offer some sort of technical challenge. There are steeps uphill shots and steep downhill shots. There are some really tight holes that seem almost unfair to the untrained eye. And there are several holes along the lake just to add to the fun. If you like wooded disc golf with all sorts of challenges thrown in then this course is for you.

While most of the course is tight and technical, there are a couple long holes with multiple fairways and landing zones that'll keep those loving their high speed drivers happy. This course also seems to really favor tricky greens or protected baskets. Where possible baskets are protected by some nearby trees, or on a slop to add to the risk from a tee shot or approach. And of course, the baskets by the lake have there own inherent risks. Lots of fun risk and reward here. Reminds me a lot of some of my favorite NC courses.

While this a wooded course don't let that fool you. While number 1 was set at 201', there were also some long holes requiring long accurate drives to landing zones, followed by long approaches to the basket. This is not a wooded pitch and putt by any means.
Cons: None really. There were a couple holes I thought were almost too tight, but after getting to the basket, and walking the entire fairway the lines became more obvious.

Snake warning sign. I really hate snakes.
Other Thoughts: Everybody I talked to prior to my visit raved about WR Jackson, and rightfully so, but the Steady Ed course is every bit as solid. It has some great elevation, water holes with lake views, long open fairways, and just a bunch of challenging golf. Depending on your mood or preferences you could rate either course as the best at IDGC and you wouldn't be wrong.

#5 stands out to me as a hole that could stick in my mimd for a long time. A tee pad on the hill aiming down and out over the lake to a basket on a peninsula guarded by trees. Or take the cowards way out and the walk of shame like me, and throw down over the inside lane and Red tee pad to a nice, dry safe landing zone. It's your choice. Choose wisely.

I typically hate losing disc, and water holes on and over lakes sometimes really get in my head. But this course offers so many chances to throw a water hole you'd be foolish to pass it up. So enjoy the ups, downs and splashes. There is always the pro shop at the top of the hill to replenish your supply for the next round.

Go to IDGC. It's worth it.

This is my favorite course!

1    8/5/2012   8/5/2012
Review By: BamaSlamaJim
Pros: This is an amazing course at an amazing center in an amazing park! Of the three courses at the IDGC this is my favorite!

Steady Ed has absolutely everything in a disc golf course. The beauty is unparalleled. There are fantastic trees, lots of elevation changes, and great views of the water. It's amazing enough just to walk this course, yet alone play it. It's great that they have short pads. I played the longs, which are tough, and my girlfriend played the shorties and we had a great time!

The course has tons of variety in shots. It's got ups, downs, high shots, low shots, all kinds of curves, and there are lots of places with multiple options. You get the chance to decide to "go for it" or "play possum". If you throw a bad shot, there's trouble, but it's not super-brutal and it's easy to find your plastic. Just don't throw it in the water and you're good to go.

I got to meet Brian Graham and see the museum in the clubhouse and I caught a 7 lb. largie right by my campsite. What more do you need?
Cons: Zero, seriously, the Steady Ed rocks!
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to make another trip to the IDGC!

1    7/9/2012   7/16/2012
Review By: cox3
Pros: Distance, accuracy, and versatility are all required.

The holes near the lake are pretty.

Signage is very good.

There is very significant elevation change.
Cons: Several of the fairways were not all that "fair".
Other Thoughts: Tee pads were okay.

The course was definitely a test although, as I mentioned, some of it required some luck.

Aesthetics, challenge, and variety were all good but nothing really stood out to me.

The IDGC experience was really great. I recommend it.

The most fun of the courses at the International DG Center

1    6/12/2012   6/12/2012
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: The proximity of the IDGC pro shop, the DG Hall of Fame, and the Headrick memorial museum make the three courses located on site worth every penny of the fees associated with going there. Add onto that the upkeep that the three courses on site receive from the IDGC workers and you've already got yourself a decently high rated course. The clubhous also provides disc golfers with plenty of practice baskets to putt on for busy days as well as a station to fill up water bottles, hang out, and relax between rounds. That right there makes this course better than many others, but Headrick was my favorite of the IDGC courses, each of which also benefit from the proximity of the facilities. Therefore I am giving it my third 5.0 rating. Here's what set it apart:

*Scenery. This course had breathtaking shots that just weren't present on the other courses at IDGC. It brought the beach into play, giving many disc golfers a brand new experience (especially for those of us from Illinois).

*Good mix of blind and visible-from-tee shots. Usually I enjoy throwing towards a target that is visible withing a few yards of the tee more than throwing towards a landing zone, but I don't mind it when a course has a few of these on its more challenging holes. The mix in this category was perfect.

*Challenge. The holes here were not daunting, but they all demanded specific lines to be hit as they wove their way through the trees.

*Distance. Excellent variety in this category. Some short ace runs mixed with some long bombs. This variety is even further enhanced by the fact that there were two sets of concrete tee pads with multiple pin positions for each hole.

*Elevation: Because this course played down onto the beaches, it had very good elevation changes from hole to hole.
Cons: Though this course definitely had challenging holes, if you are looking for the most difficulty, Jackson is the course for you.
Other Thoughts: This course (as well as the entire International Disc Golf Center) should be a destination stop for every disc golfer out there.

Wonderful Experience

1    4/15/2012   5/16/2012
Review By: Jax11
Pros: - Beautiful landscape
- Good shot variety
- Good use of elevation
- Well designed par 4's.
- Well defined and manicured fairways
- Rewarding Birdie opportunities
- Good distance variety
- Room for creative options
- Water in play (may be a con for some)
- Solid concrete teepads
- Great baskets
- On site PDGA HQ
- Benches throughout the course
Cons: - Challenging course (some may be turned off by this)
- Minor navigation issues
- Can be challenging for people with less distance.
- Some blind elevation shots where one could lose a disc (watch it finish, should be fine)
- Water can be treacherous if the level is high
Other Thoughts: Overall, the Steady Ed Memorial course was a highly enjoyable experience for my group. The course was extremely challenging and forces you to use most of your arsenal. It has a good variety of hole designs and does not favor a particular throwing style. The holes often have various routes that present different throwing styles with risk/reward decisions. This allows for some creativity in line shaping and shot selection. I think this is a great design feature that many courses lack.

The landscape is beautiful, you play through the woods, on the edge of a decent sized lake. The lake does come into play and if the water is high, there may not be a lot of safe area to land your disc. Lucky for us, it was low when we played and we didn't lose any.

This course is well put together as should be expected with it being the Steady Ed Memorial course. The equipment is all in great condition and adds to the enjoyment of this course. It is challenging and allows for a lot of risk reward decisions. Bring your "A" game and enjoy the beauty that is this course.

The PDGA HQ is not open on Sundays.

Watch for red ant hills, and don't step on them. they will attack!

Excellent representation of our sport

1    2/13/2012   2/28/2012
Pros: 1) Awesome blue powder coated baskets and number plates. These are some of the most attractive baskets I have seen. The number plates always face the tee and they even have flag on top of the basket to gage the wind and help you spot the basket more easily. Top of the line!

2) Benches, tee signs, and directionals are all around the course. You really have to expect all of the amenities at the headquarters of the governing body of our sport.

3) Nice signs with Hole #, Par, distance, a general hole map, and both pin placements on the sign.

4) Very nice grippy trapezoidal concrete for the regular tees and nice framed up rubber tees for the forward tees. Jason (the superintendent) said he really doesn't like these rubber tees and they require a lot of work because of washouts, settling, and such, but it certainly looks like he stays on top of any repairs because they all seemed to be in pretty good shape to me.

5) Next tee signs located on the poles to help with navigation. This system is nice but if you don't know to look for it you will not see it.

6) Chicken wire on the slick wet wood on the bridges in a few spots (see also cons) to keep people from slipping. At least they did something because the wood was definitely slick.

7) Water comes into play on a couple of holes . . .although the level was definitely down from where it is normally, that kind of feature is not available on all courses so it is still cool nonetheless.

8) The most unique hole I encountered on this course was #11 where there was basically a double split fairway . . . meaning four lanes to get to the two basket locations. You could take a hyzer line or an anhyzer at the right hand basket, or if the basket was on the left side you could take a fairly straight shot or another anhyzer. This was a pretty unique hole and something I have never seen before. (See also cons).

9) There are some nice rock formations in the woods here . . . something that I appreciated on this trip while I played Holler in the Hills. These formations can be used for some great basket locations and also to help create some more challenging putting areas. This is a feature of Stan McDaniel design if you know of Rennaisance Gold, Hornet's Nest etc. and something I really like in terms of design. Flat baskets in the middle of flat ground are all the same, these are each unique.

10) Pavillion and picnic tables are available along with a soda machine outside. There are restrooms inside the IDGA and a couch to sit down on too. Check out the pro-shop while you are there and help support the PDGA through other ways than just your annual dues. Check out the history of the sport and our founder Steady Ed Headrick in the Disc Golf Hall of Fame

11) Jason (the superintendent) also has a dog that likes to run around outside the building. He was timid at first but then he knew we were nice and he actually followed me for 1.5 holes on each course before turning around to go back to the porch.

12) Designed by two of the premier designers in our game Chuck Kennedy and Tom Monroe.

13) Excellent use of distance variation as a design element. There are all sorts of different distances out here so you need all your discs in your bag. You will also never have the same shot twice which is awesome. SO many courses get stuck on the 275-300' shots where you can only have so many hyzer shots before the holes become repetitive. Here the distances vary so much you never have the same shot on two holes.

14) Scorecards and maps available in the pro shop . . .always a bonus on a world class course that you have not played before.

15) Nice big sign and map along with sponsors and contributors to the course listed on another sign. I love the entrance gate that you walk through to get to the course.

16) Very clean woods . . . meaning Jason works very hard to keep the peripheral areas free of fallen limbs and debris. It is pretty rare that you see something that is in play off the fairway and that is greatly appreciated and it helps make the course look just that much better.

17) Incredible practice area with all of the types of baskets represented as well as plenty of angles and approaches to be thrown. I didn't warm up (because I already played Lake Olmstead and had to make sure I was able to finish all 3 courses) but if I was playing a tourney this would be greatly appreciated.

18) They did an excellent job keeping the trees that frame fairways and cleaning out the ones that do not need to be there. The fairways are very fair but they do still make you make the shot.

19) Excellent variety in shot shaping on this course. There were a lot of different shots off the tee but your recovery shots bring even more shots into play . . . I love throwing different shots all day . . . it keeps things from feeling boring.
Cons: 1) The only thing this course was missing in terms of amenities would be an indicator system for which basket location is currently in the ground. I expect that they will eventually do this because it is one of those things that sets courses above the rest, but as of right now there is nothing there to indicate the current basket location.

2) I like the idea of making the wood bridges safer but I could easily see someone getting stuck in the chicken wire and making their fall worse than if nothing was there. I made sure to lift my feet high each time I stepped on the bridge.

3) #11 was both good and bad . . . the good was mentioned above, but the bad comes from the fact that you cannot see the basket so you really have no idea which lane to choose. I chose the hyzer line figuring I could get all the way around more easily to either basket. I felt like the anhyzer line was going to be tougher to hold if it was in the right position and even moreso on the further left anhyzer line. The basket was fortunately on the right as I was hoping but I sure would have liked to know for sure.

4) I know I am nitpicking but I feel like these courses need to show everything that is possible with disc golf because of the fact that the PDGA is on site. The teepads in many spots do not have soil or material flush with the top and that can lead to falling off the teepad on occasion. If it was up to me I would make sure the ground is always flush with the teepad for at least a few feet on all sides. This will allow a greater runup and also a bigger follow through.

5) Unlike the other two courses . . . this one does not loop back to the clubhouse/parking area. It is also the easiest of the walks and least strenuous course of the three so it is less of an issue but still worth noting for those only into 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: This place definitely did it right. What more can be said other than this is an excellent . . . no . . .superb example of our sport. They have all the amenities (almost) that you can ask for and they have a lot of fun and challenge at the same time. Isn't that what Steady Ed would have wanted??? I know it's what I want when I play disc golf almost everyday.

A Complete Disc Golf Experience – what didn’t they think of?

1    12/25/2011   12/27/2011
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: The Headrick course (in fact,this entire complex) serves to show what disc golf can be given the proper resources and planning.

Great shot variety and elevation changes with many beautiful views of the lake, and several holes where it comes into play (depending on the water level). Mostly wooded with a few tee shots that are fairly open, as well as a good variety of distances provide a nice mix. Multiple lines have you thinking about how to play virtually every tee shot. Holes 12 and 14 were my personal favorites, but there's no lack of quality holes on this course.

As you'd expect, the course itself is excellent, but all the amenities and little touches put this place over the top:
• Best tee pads I've ever played on; coarsely textured concrete - spacious and grippy even when wet.
• Best practice putting green you'll find anywhere
• Several tricky pin locations
• Very little underbrush, so it's easier to recover from shots that bounce off trees, and easier to find discs.
• Drop zones serve as short pads for less accomplished players, and have red tee posts and grippy rubber mats.
• 3 colored flags on each basket not only enhance visibility, but are different weights so they indicate wind speed: red for 6 MPH, white for 12, and blue for 18 MPH… simple, yet ingenious.
• Benches and wonderful signage at every basket.
• Navigation: Next tee pointers at bottom of baskets and next tee signs all over the place along with maps available near 1st hole. If you don't find the next tee in 60 seconds or so, you're not trying.
• PDGA HoF and Pro Shop, tournament pavilion with drink machines.
• Boot cleaners located just outside the Pro Shop to brush the mud and dirt from your shoes.
• Camping onsite
Cons: They got so many things right that the cons pale in comparison, but:
• I don't mind pay to play, but that's in addition to the park entrance fee - still worth it to play these courses.
• Signs don't show pin positions, and you can only play the single location they're in (some courses keep pins in both positions - Lemon Lake Silver/Gold for example). Would have been nice to at least have seen the long pin positions.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend a visit here to any serious player who's inclined to make a road trip. I would rate the course about 4.0 - 4.5 on the disc play alone, but feel justified in awarding 5.0 based on this as a destination: two add'l championship caliber courses on site, along with the long list of amenities and all the thought that went into this place make it something truly special indeed. I could go on and on, but won't. You already know whether or not you want to visit this place, and I doubt anything I say here is going to change your mind.

As for those who listed all the trees as a con, I have to assume they just prefer a more open layout. I found the fairways on the Headrick course challenging but quite executable rather than "pitch and pray" and anything but unfair. I can't believe someone mentioned the trapezoidal shape of the pads as a con… really?

Ed Lives On!!!

1    12/20/2011   12/22/2011
Review By: KGB84
Pros: -Large Tee Pads
-Nice benches
-Great tee signs with picture & distances
-Very nice Blue DGA baskets
-Good flow to course
-Fairways are just that Fair, yet very challenging still.
-Next tee signs
-Elevation(Ups & Downs & in between)
-IDGC clubhouse/Pro shop on site
-Pavillion to sit under
-Drink vending machine
-Amazing warm-up area behind clubhouse
-IDGC staff is very welcoming
-DG Hall of Fame on site
-The area is completely dedicated to the courses.
Cons: -Pay to play
-Raining while I was there
-Very secluded location
Other Thoughts: This course finishes third out of the 3 courses located at the IDGC complex for me.
This is only because I liked the others better. This course is as difficult as the other 2 are. With very technical bends in fairways and tricky basket placements. Seemed that a lot of the baskets were in the shorter positions when I played. This course would have edged out the Jackson course for 2nd place if all placements were in the long positions.
All in all, another superb course to be enjoyed at the IDGC Complex. Go get a tent and spend some time at Wildwood Park playing at the IDGC.

This is how it should be..

2-4    10/2/2011   10/2/2011
Review By: mx23ang
This review was updated on 11/15/2012
Pros: Lets see Im not sure where to begin, maybe with a super fun downhill opening hole that defines this course. Hit the line provided or hope and pray it will get sneaky because this place has fair well defined fairways but once you get off your gonna be scratching your head on how your gonna advance your next one. I found myself doing this several times thoroughout the IDGC but I love the wooded challenge that makes you really focus on your line, but you can get sneaky out here unlike the warner course. I could list pros about every hole but I guess I will skip to the super scenic and fun holes. 5 is a great downhill left fade that plays over water when the lake is up, still a fun hole if it hasnt been raining much. I love #6, it presents multiple lines but most people first see a big hyzer. After seeing my fellow golfers at NCSU hit a skinny pine guarded by another pine messing with my hyzer I decided to play a S line roc and parked it for bird, take the strait line its not to punishing. 8 has an awesome green with huge boulders, likewise on 9 and 3. Love the S line on 10 and hopefully you wont turn it to hard to get a big S on 11, you will need, it is quite long. 12 is beautiful with a fade right over land that was once lake, likewise on 14. Great use of elevation and diversity on this course, no two holes are really alike and you will remember picteresque images throughout many holes. A bench on every hole which is nice and a great detailed map giving the lines and distances.
Cons: Although it has great signage it doesnt give the current pin so your guessing sometimes exactly where the pin is but hit your line/the line given and you shouldnt be disappointed to bad. To be so official set up like a ball golf course the lack of trash cans is really the only other thing. I thought there was one bad hole on this course from both the long and short pad but not as bad on the shorts. 4 is an immeadiate fade left and then up a long hill, the rough on the right side(which is probably where you will miss it) is really thick and advancing it is super tight. Made the par of a lifetime on this hole after having a horrible drive, early tree on my 2nd and an amazing up and down with a long flick
Other Thoughts: Because of the mere spectular native imagery, challenging but fair design, and the officiallness(lol) of this place this course is my favortie at the IDGC even though all are a great experience that you will not forget. With on-site camping and two other epic courses this is how disc golf should be set-up. The clubhouse is great with plenty of discs and clothing. The feel of ball golf is high around here and it makes you think your playing with the big boys when you see those drives sailing down well manicured tall georgia pine fairways