Appling, GA
IDGC - Steady Ed Headrick Memorial Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #15 (Taken 10/2011)

Nice course to play.

2-4    11/20/2010   11/27/2010
Review By: Disc Dog
Pros: This course is listed as the blue level course at the IDGC. Yet it is probably the most technical of the 3. While it does not have the distances the other 2 courses have it makes up for that in the challenge it gives you.

Elevation, water hazards, and tricky fairways are what this course is about. One is downhill in a tunnel. Two is back up hill. Three is down. Four is a tough uphill right to left, that has your throw going out over the water in order to get it started uphill. It is like this through most of the course. Six, 12, 13, and 14 are the only relatively flat fairways. They are along the lake and tight.

Throughout this course you will be getting into your bag of tricks to get around trees, over water, and out of trouble. With a good mixture of left to right, straight, and right to left it favors no one. Many of the tees will present you with more than one option for your drive pick wisely or be prepared to take your medicine for a bad choice.

The shule is not bad here. With a little patience most errant discs will be found.

There are plenty of benches and trash cans.
Cons: One of the things I always find troubling is when you have to enter an active fairway to get to the next basket. When you cross the bridge to get from the tee on 5 to the basket you are about 100' feet out and 20 feet below the tee for 17. Be observant or you may get hurt. Also the 18th tee for Jackson is below you on 16.

The tee signs, map and scorecard all have different distances to the basket and some of the pars are different.

There is nothing at the tees to tell you which position the basket is stationed. Since most of your throws from the tee are blind and while this is okay a first time player will find their score effected.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I played at the IDGC. The place is a great facility and should be on every persons to-do list.

The beauty of the location and the facilities go into making this a 4 course. Without those it would be a 3.5.

After talking to Brian and Jason you will discover that this is still a work in progress. So any issues will be fixed when possible.

Steady as she goes

2-4    10/17/2010   10/17/2010
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: One absolutely gorgeous piece of land and a great use of it.
This course showcases the best of the GA environment, large pine and mixed woods forests full of hills and gullies and tops it off with a scenic lake that not only provides views but also lets you test your meddle for a risky approach.
Blue DGA baskets that stand out decently on the landscape.
A tough but not overly tough course, made for players much better than I but one that can be enjoyed by an average tournament player.
Great signs and tees, signs show multiple routes and generally "explain" the hole about as good as possible through the drawn map.
Cons: No way to tell which pin position is in use.
No garbage cans anywhere on any of the courses (must be by design).
Scorecard, signs, and map all have different distances listed.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course even though it is a decent challenge. We played when the lake was low so the water hazards were minimal but if the lake was up some of the holes would get very interesting and much more intimidating but there is always a "safe" route that you can take which makes the course very fair.
The fairways are tight but defined and you will need a full bag of shots and some serious precision to score well.
Great use of elevation with ups and downs, baskets on hills, gully lines etc.
Some holes have multiple routes that are clearly defined on the tee signs. It seems that some signs were measured with the contour of the land and others with flight path, I don't know if this is true but some holes you could drive 390' sign distances and take 2 drives to reach a 280' hole.
This is a great course with a huge variety of holes and throw types thrown in. It uses the lake in a fair and consistent manner that will reward risk if done properly. We also found that even when they go in the water you can wade out there if need be. (Witnessed, no OB on our part!).
If you are looking for a good time then Steady Ed should be your first choice at the IDGC. Come for the awesome facilities, come back to take on the challenge of these tough but fair courses.

Steady Ed course

1    4/8/2010   9/2/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 3/5/2013
Pros: -First and foremost this is one of the IDGC courses, So all of the elements are available: Multiple Pins, Signs with maps, Concrete tee pads, well maintained. As well as scorecards and maps are available in the pro shop. Also Vending machines, Discs, place to rest and cool off in the proshop.
-It's exclusive, it's a challenge, and it can be a lot of fun. (or it can be really frustrating)
-In the woods, so that can offer some relief from the heat. …some relief.
-Solid Disc Golf course only. No other activities to interfere with a persons round
-Caters to both Forehand & Backhand players equally (As well as Right and left handed)
-Not for beginners or casual players*. You can try, but you could get frustrated REAL fast!
-Challenging, strategy and precision is the key here. As well as having an accurate straight drive.
-Great use of the terrain, and challenging pin placement.
-A course that traverses up and down hills, with narrow shots cut through the woods, and a few water shots.
-Fairways are tight, but not overly tight. There is still enough room in the fairways to work a finesse shot, and have a little more room to move. But the rough is still there, and an errant throw could cost you, and have you tomahawking back into the fairway.
-Course requires accuracy over power. There are long distance shots on this course, but here it's about setting yourself up for a second shot. In some cases a third shot.
-There are a couple of shots that throw from the side of a hill. Namely #5. Very cool scenic hole!
-Some holes let you choose your line, Go back to #5; Here you can either hyzer out over the water, or throw in through the trees. Or #11 which has two routes, offering lines to both right and left handed throwers.
-Even though this statement is subject to being my opinion. This course was a challenge, and it had a good fun factor for me! I'll play here again in a heartbeat! I am aware that others may disagree with me on that statement.
-It is the shorter of the three, but it still requires strategy and thought in the execution of these holes. You will still be required to play smarter. (Forget the "Par 3 only", it's not happening here. So you might as well enjoy yourself.)

*I like the fact that this place is a challenge to play, and requires some skill to play here. Augusta has many a course that is beginner friendly and even more accessible. So beginners are taken care of.
Cons: -Didn't really have an area to stop and take a break. Jackson and Warner are split so that after 9 holes, you can stop for bathroom breaks, lunch, or just to cool off. Headrick is straight through 18.
-This is just an FYI for those with allergies to the Pollen in the spring, this place was covered in pollen last april. My boots and pant legs were solid florescent green.
-Maybe this isn't the case for everyone, but I had a little trouble locating the 18 basket when I played there. It was just inside the tree line.
-When I played here, they told me what position the pins were in. If you show up after hours, it could be hard to tell.
-Bring a lunch, no restaurants nearby
-Watch out for Snakes!
Other Thoughts: The key to playing here is to play smarter. Use discs that you know you can control. It's tight with varying terrain! Many a blind hole to throw down. So, unless you can keep your destroyer in an absolute straight line, it's not going to work well for you here. In my opinion, I think that people should disc down and use discs that are more easily controlled. Even if that means throwing mids and putters. Now, I was guilty of breaking out my wraith when I probably shouldn't have, needless to say I was hacking my way out of the woods back on to the fairway. I used my putter for some of my drives, and I was able to make par.

I realize though, that some people may not like the Woodsy courses that are tight and narrow. There is always a chance you are going to kiss, nick or even taco into a tree on the Headrick course. If you are a person that doesn't like playing in the woods, then you might want to reconsider playing here altogether. It's ALL woods, with a couple of water shots!

I know some mentioned that this course is smaller, but it is no less. It is nice to have 3 courses that have different personalities, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing Headrick. I enjoyed trekking up and down hills, and I love the challenge of throwing in the woods. Sometimes I call it being a glutton for punishment, but I love it anyway. I just like being in the woods!

I would recommend wearing shoes made for hiking, because you will be walking up and down a lot hills. Definitely bring liquids and possibly a granola bar or two for a snack! Once you start, It'll be a while before you get back to the clubhouse! There is a fee to get in to the park itself (2 or 3 dollars), and it costs 5$ to play all three courses all day long. It's all totally worth it! Just remember, there are no restaurants or gas stations nearby. Bring what you need, including liquids and a lunch. The nice thing is, you can sit down in the Headquarters for a break.

Final thought: This is the IDGC, these courses are going to be challenging and quite possibly a little frustrating. I say this, go out there and have fun because you are playing at the PDGA headquarters. Expect to hit some trees, and have a rough round. Just remember, you are at the PDGA headquarters. Not everyone gets that opportunity. If you taco into a tree, don't get frustrated, just throw another one! ...unless you are in a tournament. The point is to enjoy the experience, this is our version of the Masters. Enjoy it!

Requires too much luck.

2-4    5/4/2010   5/4/2010
Review By: Discette
Pros: The IDGC is a disc golf exclusive facility. There is a well stocked on-site pro shop, disc golf museum and an awesome practice area. I would give the entire facility a solid 5. This course makes awesome use of the lake, elevation and woods to create an overall great experience.

There are textured concrete teepads for the long tees. There is evidence of hundreds of hours of work. There are numerous footbridges and well marked trails. All the long tees have well made signs. Although some of the distances were incorrect, the scorecards available in Pro Shop were accurate. There is sufficient signage guiding players to the next tee and even new "next tee" markers at the base of the targets. It really is a great experience.

Again, I give the facility a 5.0, but I have to rate this course a 3.5. I can't quite give it a 4.0, as I think it requires too much luck to score well. I played it with mostly short pin placements as well as all short placements. Like most wooded courses, this course does favor a player with accuracy. With the exception of the guardian trees around the pins and the random fairway trees, most of the holes were well designed and can challenge players of all skill levels. There are plenty of "risk and reward" opportunities for players with more than a traditional backhand throw.

As the course is heavily wooded, players really need an accurate, straight shot to score well. There are not a lot of different types of shots required. Since this course really rewards placement, drivers are not necessary and can really only be used on a couple of holes. I only throw about 275 to 300 feet max and was mostly throwing mid range discs and putters off the tee with good success.
Cons: Unfortunately, no matter how accurately one can throw, or how thoughtful one is with shot selection, this design left something to be desired: a chainsaw! I am not a fan of random trees left in the fairway nor of "guardian" trees around targets. On several of the holes, even the safer routes required too much luck for my liking.

The blue targets were extremely difficult to see from the tees. A course in the shade should have bright, highly visible baskets, not ones that blend into the shadows and trees. They should put wider day glow stickers on the baskets like those on the J. Warner course.

This course is one large 18 hole loop so be prepared to carry enough water and supplies to last the entire round. There were no portable restrooms on the course, but since it is heavily wooded, it was not an issue for me. The other two courses have two nine hole loops back to the main parking area and "clubhouse", which I prefer.

I do not care for the trapezoid tee pads (as found on all tees at IDGC). They are six feet wide at the rear and taper down to only four feet wide on the front. It seems counterintuitive to shorten the width of the front of the tee when there is plenty of room to make traditional 6 x 12 tees. I hope players don't leave this facility thinking these tee pads are what they should put on their home courses.

Other Thoughts: I have played many CK designed courses over the years (as evidenced in my play list). I even rank Chuck's Blueberry Hill course as one of my all time favorite courses. I understand his designs like to reward placement and offer multiple routes to the pin. Hopefully, more trees will be allowed to be taken out of this design and serious players will have a much fairer course to play in the future.

great course

1    10/24/2009   10/28/2009
Review By: CatFish
Pros: It has two other courses on site, all amenities, multiple pin and tee locations. I got brave and threw over the water and made it each time. I did have to go swimming though on one hole. A brand new disc doesnt always fly the way its supposed to. It is far and away better than all the others i've played. Not too long, not too hard, not too easy. Goldie Locks would love it. There are some challenging shots, but there is usually an alternative route. good course design.
Cons: None really
Other Thoughts: Play on days you don't mind swimming, or take the lay up.

Not my favorite at IDGC, but...

2-4    6/4/2008   8/4/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: First pro, of course, is that it's at the IDGC, with all the amenities of the IDGC HQ (museum, shop, restrooms, air conditioning), 3 courses at one location, multiple practice baskets. It's on beautiful property, hilly and overlooking a lovely lake, with tall trees for shade, and exclusively Disc Golf.

I'm a little disappointed with the actual course design. Which is not to say it's bad....just it seemed it could be better. Despite my "cons", half the holes are very fine, with a variety of shots and some fairway management required, and a few rather unique shots (#18---uphill through the woods, across a clearing with one troublesome tree, over a mound back into the woods to the basket).

One design feature not seen often is that the course does a figure-8, so that the lake is on the left for some holes, on the right on others, so it doesn't favor either righties or lefties as water hazards on some courses do.

It's a wooded course and, when you hit trees and kick off the fairways, much of the area is justed wooded enough that you find yourself trying to execute unusual and exciting "escape" shots. But seldom is it so thick that you don't have an option, and there's not much underbrush. It's a great course for great recovery shots.

And thought not a gold course, it's plenty challenging.
Cons: It's a wooded course, but more than a few holes have more trees in the fairway, or tighter fairways, than I care for. Not quite "poke-&-pray", but close to it.

The lake levels have varied tremendously when I've been there. At high water, the lakefront holes are fun and exciting and give you the choice of playing it safe, or risking your disc. Other times, the water is far, far away from the fairways.
Other Thoughts: I seem to be the exception that, despite my weenie arm, I like the much longer Jackson course more than the Headrick.

My "cons" are mostly that I play the course and enjoy it, but have the nagging feeling it's missing its potential.

Scenic and A Challenge!

1    7/15/2009   7/15/2009
Pros: First of all, I could have sworn I was playing around Lake Tahoe or somewhere in the California mountains. It just didn't feel like Georgia to me. The two previous reviewers have hit a couple of review points right on the head. The pads, signs and baskets are the best I've seen anywhere. A real joy to play on. And I was wondering about this course being a gold level course? I mean it's certainly a challenge but there isn't much length to it. I think pros would enjoy it but tear it up. The holes throwing over the lake were lovely but usually not nervewrackingly scary as some water holes can be. Navigation was a breeze and the course design was wonderful. As it's been said before, there is a great Disc Golf museum and pro shop there with a great selection of discs, bags, shirts, etc. ( everything was a little pricey, I thought). There are some great basket placements nestled in among some large boulders, very picturesque. Quite a few nice downhill throws, one of my favs.
Cons: Not much really, probably lack of distance keeps it from getting a 5 from me. I like to see them drill a quarter inch hole in their tee signs next to the A & B basket names. Insert a bolt with a plastic, colored washer through the hole and tighten bolt on back with nut. Change whenever baskets are moved. A great simple way to alert players which positions baskets are in.
Other Thoughts: Stumbling around on the Ed on a sweltering, hot July, Georgia day, throwing my discs anywhere but where they're susposed to be going and then you hear the sounds of people playing in the lake, being pulled behind their boats. And I just had to wonder? Would I rather be out on the lake? Being pulled behind their boat. Perhaps, I've made the wrong recreational choice here. Enjoy the Ed!

Designer Notes

1    7/11/2009   7/11/2009
Review By: Cgkdisc
Other Thoughts: The long tees are designed for Blue level not gold level as some have posted, The Red tee positions were designed and marked from the beginning as Steady Ed would have wanted. However, budget constraints for getting all three courses initially installed took precedent over getting cement on the Red tees. Once these go in, this will be the best course for less experienced players. In addition, the Red tees are the drop zones for players who go OB from the Blue tees into the lake on six holes.

There were only eight sets of pin combinations planned with each layout being named. At some point, the pin location will be marked on each tee sign so players know whether a pin is in the A or B position. White stakes are planned on the lake holes to mark a permanent OB line so each hole plays with the same challenge regardless of the lake level the day you play it.

The Best of the Best

1    7/2/2009   7/6/2009
Review By: Kurt Hodges
Pros: The Steady Ed Headrick Memorial course is on the grounds of the PDGA International Disc Golf Center with two other 18 -hole gold courses. As you would expect, the course is very well taken care of and the tee pads, signs and baskets are the finest. In fact, it even has special baskets made especially for the course. There are lots of trees (and shade), but, the course is so well maintained that a disc from even a very errant shot can still be located. The course also is located on a lake and the scenery is really nice. Additionally, navigation is smooth as silk, even if you are out for the first time.
Cons: For the sake of not leaving the cons section blank, the only con I can conjure up is that is that it is a pay course, but it is so nice that I really don't care.
Other Thoughts: Steady Ed Headrick Memorial is long course that is fairly heavily wooded. Sixteen of the baskets have alternate locations that vary your look (i.e., one tee pad per hole). On the day I played Steady Ed, the length was around 6,885 (as of July 2, 2009). So, the average hole is 382' and fairly heavily wooded. Steady Ed sets up well for the finesse player that still has a pretty big arm (i.e., 350'+ drives). If you don't stay in the fairways, your score will suffer. The course humbled me, but I still loved it and think it is the best course I have played to date. Holes 8, 9 and 17 also had some really neat catcher placements that were nestled into boulders. Steady Ed Headrick Memorial is a must play course if you are anywhere near it and, even on its own, it is worth traveling and a hotel to play at. Throw in two other eighteen hole courses on the same grounds and you are in a disc golfers dream. It really doesn't get any better.

A+ = Top Shelf!

2-4    8/22/2008   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- B