Appling, GA
IDGC - Steady Ed Headrick Memorial Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #17 (Taken 10/2011)
Hole #17 Blue Tee

great course

1    10/24/2009   10/28/2009
Review By: CatFish
Pros: It has two other courses on site, all amenities, multiple pin and tee locations. I got brave and threw over the water and made it each time. I did have to go swimming though on one hole. A brand new disc doesnt always fly the way its supposed to. It is far and away better than all the others i've played. Not too long, not too hard, not too easy. Goldie Locks would love it. There are some challenging shots, but there is usually an alternative route. good course design.
Cons: None really
Other Thoughts: Play on days you don't mind swimming, or take the lay up.

Not my favorite at IDGC, but...

2-4    6/4/2008   8/4/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: First pro, of course, is that it's at the IDGC, with all the amenities of the IDGC HQ (museum, shop, restrooms, air conditioning), 3 courses at one location, multiple practice baskets. It's on beautiful property, hilly and overlooking a lovely lake, with tall trees for shade, and exclusively Disc Golf.

I'm a little disappointed with the actual course design. Which is not to say it's bad....just it seemed it could be better. Despite my "cons", half the holes are very fine, with a variety of shots and some fairway management required, and a few rather unique shots (#18---uphill through the woods, across a clearing with one troublesome tree, over a mound back into the woods to the basket).

One design feature not seen often is that the course does a figure-8, so that the lake is on the left for some holes, on the right on others, so it doesn't favor either righties or lefties as water hazards on some courses do.

It's a wooded course and, when you hit trees and kick off the fairways, much of the area is justed wooded enough that you find yourself trying to execute unusual and exciting "escape" shots. But seldom is it so thick that you don't have an option, and there's not much underbrush. It's a great course for great recovery shots.

And thought not a gold course, it's plenty challenging.
Cons: It's a wooded course, but more than a few holes have more trees in the fairway, or tighter fairways, than I care for. Not quite "poke-&-pray", but close to it.

The lake levels have varied tremendously when I've been there. At high water, the lakefront holes are fun and exciting and give you the choice of playing it safe, or risking your disc. Other times, the water is far, far away from the fairways.
Other Thoughts: I seem to be the exception that, despite my weenie arm, I like the much longer Jackson course more than the Headrick.

My "cons" are mostly that I play the course and enjoy it, but have the nagging feeling it's missing its potential.

Scenic and A Challenge!

1    7/15/2009   7/15/2009
Pros: First of all, I could have sworn I was playing around Lake Tahoe or somewhere in the California mountains. It just didn't feel like Georgia to me. The two previous reviewers have hit a couple of review points right on the head. The pads, signs and baskets are the best I've seen anywhere. A real joy to play on. And I was wondering about this course being a gold level course? I mean it's certainly a challenge but there isn't much length to it. I think pros would enjoy it but tear it up. The holes throwing over the lake were lovely but usually not nervewrackingly scary as some water holes can be. Navigation was a breeze and the course design was wonderful. As it's been said before, there is a great Disc Golf museum and pro shop there with a great selection of discs, bags, shirts, etc. ( everything was a little pricey, I thought). There are some great basket placements nestled in among some large boulders, very picturesque. Quite a few nice downhill throws, one of my favs.
Cons: Not much really, probably lack of distance keeps it from getting a 5 from me. I like to see them drill a quarter inch hole in their tee signs next to the A & B basket names. Insert a bolt with a plastic, colored washer through the hole and tighten bolt on back with nut. Change whenever baskets are moved. A great simple way to alert players which positions baskets are in.
Other Thoughts: Stumbling around on the Ed on a sweltering, hot July, Georgia day, throwing my discs anywhere but where they're susposed to be going and then you hear the sounds of people playing in the lake, being pulled behind their boats. And I just had to wonder? Would I rather be out on the lake? Being pulled behind their boat. Perhaps, I've made the wrong recreational choice here. Enjoy the Ed!

Designer Notes

1    7/11/2009   7/11/2009
Review By: Cgkdisc
Other Thoughts: The long tees are designed for Blue level not gold level as some have posted, The Red tee positions were designed and marked from the beginning as Steady Ed would have wanted. However, budget constraints for getting all three courses initially installed took precedent over getting cement on the Red tees. Once these go in, this will be the best course for less experienced players. In addition, the Red tees are the drop zones for players who go OB from the Blue tees into the lake on six holes.

There were only eight sets of pin combinations planned with each layout being named. At some point, the pin location will be marked on each tee sign so players know whether a pin is in the A or B position. White stakes are planned on the lake holes to mark a permanent OB line so each hole plays with the same challenge regardless of the lake level the day you play it.

The Best of the Best

1    7/2/2009   7/6/2009
Review By: Kurt Hodges
Pros: The Steady Ed Headrick Memorial course is on the grounds of the PDGA International Disc Golf Center with two other 18 -hole gold courses. As you would expect, the course is very well taken care of and the tee pads, signs and baskets are the finest. In fact, it even has special baskets made especially for the course. There are lots of trees (and shade), but, the course is so well maintained that a disc from even a very errant shot can still be located. The course also is located on a lake and the scenery is really nice. Additionally, navigation is smooth as silk, even if you are out for the first time.
Cons: For the sake of not leaving the cons section blank, the only con I can conjure up is that is that it is a pay course, but it is so nice that I really don't care.
Other Thoughts: Steady Ed Headrick Memorial is long course that is fairly heavily wooded. Sixteen of the baskets have alternate locations that vary your look (i.e., one tee pad per hole). On the day I played Steady Ed, the length was around 6,885 (as of July 2, 2009). So, the average hole is 382' and fairly heavily wooded. Steady Ed sets up well for the finesse player that still has a pretty big arm (i.e., 350'+ drives). If you don't stay in the fairways, your score will suffer. The course humbled me, but I still loved it and think it is the best course I have played to date. Holes 8, 9 and 17 also had some really neat catcher placements that were nestled into boulders. Steady Ed Headrick Memorial is a must play course if you are anywhere near it and, even on its own, it is worth traveling and a hotel to play at. Throw in two other eighteen hole courses on the same grounds and you are in a disc golfers dream. It really doesn't get any better.

A+ = Top Shelf!

2-4    8/22/2008   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- B

Straight from Wisconsin

1    2/8/2009   2/8/2009
Review By: CoopDeVille
Pros: good mix of short and long holes, lots of tricky pin placements and hazards. Very challenging and good to use as the first course you play out of the three. Well mapped out tee off to tee off.
Cons: needs to be groomed a bit, made it a bit difficult to determine pin placement. not too much else to say.
Other Thoughts: We drove st8 through the night to get here (16 hours) and played this course immediately. By far a great start to great area for disc golf.

5+    2/4/2009   2/4/2009
Review By: Marc B.
Pros: I Love Ed! It can definitley put you in your place. The lines are there but they are tight. Placement is key. Just 'cause it's the "easiest" doesn't mean it is easy! These are gold level courses at the IDGC,so yes, there are trees on the course and fairways! The piece of land they used for the IDGC is a good spread. The Ed has cool granite boulders and outcroppings with nice pin placments within the rock formations. Water in play on a few holes when it's high enough.
#5 is sick!
Cons: Not too fond of the alternate pin placements.

A Great Course

1    1/22/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: dandaman
Pros: One of the best layouts that I have seen in course design. Holes are fair, challanging and scenic. Baskets are of superior quality. Course is easy to navigate.
Cons: Very little negative. I noticed that the distance on hole #16 was incorrect.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is one of the best that I have seen/played. It is still a little rough around the edges, but given a little 'beat-in time' this course will only continue to impress. The lake was down when I played, so hopefully those water shots will eventually come back into play.

fun course

5+    12/17/2008   12/22/2008
Review By: krazybronco
This review was updated on 4/15/2009
Pros: the course is the easiest of all the courses at the IDGC the fairways are fair and if you dont go to far off the fairways they are easy to get back onto but you will need to bring every disc un your bag because each hole is different
Cons: some of the fairways where you need bomb of a drive could be widened
Other Thoughts: the pin positions can be change around and the course can be made longer with just a few changes so before going out to play ask at the idge club house what the pin positions are in