Appling, GA
IDGC - Steady Ed Headrick Memorial Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #15 (Taken 10/2011)
Hole #15 Blue Tee

Scenic and A Challenge!

1    7/15/2009   7/15/2009
Pros: First of all, I could have sworn I was playing around Lake Tahoe or somewhere in the California mountains. It just didn't feel like Georgia to me. The two previous reviewers have hit a couple of review points right on the head. The pads, signs and baskets are the best I've seen anywhere. A real joy to play on. And I was wondering about this course being a gold level course? I mean it's certainly a challenge but there isn't much length to it. I think pros would enjoy it but tear it up. The holes throwing over the lake were lovely but usually not nervewrackingly scary as some water holes can be. Navigation was a breeze and the course design was wonderful. As it's been said before, there is a great Disc Golf museum and pro shop there with a great selection of discs, bags, shirts, etc. ( everything was a little pricey, I thought). There are some great basket placements nestled in among some large boulders, very picturesque. Quite a few nice downhill throws, one of my favs.
Cons: Not much really, probably lack of distance keeps it from getting a 5 from me. I like to see them drill a quarter inch hole in their tee signs next to the A & B basket names. Insert a bolt with a plastic, colored washer through the hole and tighten bolt on back with nut. Change whenever baskets are moved. A great simple way to alert players which positions baskets are in.
Other Thoughts: Stumbling around on the Ed on a sweltering, hot July, Georgia day, throwing my discs anywhere but where they're susposed to be going and then you hear the sounds of people playing in the lake, being pulled behind their boats. And I just had to wonder? Would I rather be out on the lake? Being pulled behind their boat. Perhaps, I've made the wrong recreational choice here. Enjoy the Ed!

Designer Notes

1    7/11/2009   7/11/2009
Review By: Cgkdisc
Other Thoughts: The long tees are designed for Blue level not gold level as some have posted, The Red tee positions were designed and marked from the beginning as Steady Ed would have wanted. However, budget constraints for getting all three courses initially installed took precedent over getting cement on the Red tees. Once these go in, this will be the best course for less experienced players. In addition, the Red tees are the drop zones for players who go OB from the Blue tees into the lake on six holes.

There were only eight sets of pin combinations planned with each layout being named. At some point, the pin location will be marked on each tee sign so players know whether a pin is in the A or B position. White stakes are planned on the lake holes to mark a permanent OB line so each hole plays with the same challenge regardless of the lake level the day you play it.

The Best of the Best

1    7/2/2009   7/6/2009
Review By: Kurt Hodges
Pros: The Steady Ed Headrick Memorial course is on the grounds of the PDGA International Disc Golf Center with two other 18 -hole gold courses. As you would expect, the course is very well taken care of and the tee pads, signs and baskets are the finest. In fact, it even has special baskets made especially for the course. There are lots of trees (and shade), but, the course is so well maintained that a disc from even a very errant shot can still be located. The course also is located on a lake and the scenery is really nice. Additionally, navigation is smooth as silk, even if you are out for the first time.
Cons: For the sake of not leaving the cons section blank, the only con I can conjure up is that is that it is a pay course, but it is so nice that I really don't care.
Other Thoughts: Steady Ed Headrick Memorial is long course that is fairly heavily wooded. Sixteen of the baskets have alternate locations that vary your look (i.e., one tee pad per hole). On the day I played Steady Ed, the length was around 6,885 (as of July 2, 2009). So, the average hole is 382' and fairly heavily wooded. Steady Ed sets up well for the finesse player that still has a pretty big arm (i.e., 350'+ drives). If you don't stay in the fairways, your score will suffer. The course humbled me, but I still loved it and think it is the best course I have played to date. Holes 8, 9 and 17 also had some really neat catcher placements that were nestled into boulders. Steady Ed Headrick Memorial is a must play course if you are anywhere near it and, even on its own, it is worth traveling and a hotel to play at. Throw in two other eighteen hole courses on the same grounds and you are in a disc golfers dream. It really doesn't get any better.

A+ = Top Shelf!

2-4    8/22/2008   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- B

Straight from Wisconsin

1    2/8/2009   2/8/2009
Review By: CoopDeVille
Pros: good mix of short and long holes, lots of tricky pin placements and hazards. Very challenging and good to use as the first course you play out of the three. Well mapped out tee off to tee off.
Cons: needs to be groomed a bit, made it a bit difficult to determine pin placement. not too much else to say.
Other Thoughts: We drove st8 through the night to get here (16 hours) and played this course immediately. By far a great start to great area for disc golf.

5+    2/4/2009   2/4/2009
Review By: Marc B.
Pros: I Love Ed! It can definitley put you in your place. The lines are there but they are tight. Placement is key. Just 'cause it's the "easiest" doesn't mean it is easy! These are gold level courses at the IDGC,so yes, there are trees on the course and fairways! The piece of land they used for the IDGC is a good spread. The Ed has cool granite boulders and outcroppings with nice pin placments within the rock formations. Water in play on a few holes when it's high enough.
#5 is sick!
Cons: Not too fond of the alternate pin placements.

A Great Course

1    1/22/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: dandaman
Pros: One of the best layouts that I have seen in course design. Holes are fair, challanging and scenic. Baskets are of superior quality. Course is easy to navigate.
Cons: Very little negative. I noticed that the distance on hole #16 was incorrect.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is one of the best that I have seen/played. It is still a little rough around the edges, but given a little 'beat-in time' this course will only continue to impress. The lake was down when I played, so hopefully those water shots will eventually come back into play.

fun course

5+    12/17/2008   12/22/2008
Review By: krazybronco
This review was updated on 4/15/2009
Pros: the course is the easiest of all the courses at the IDGC the fairways are fair and if you dont go to far off the fairways they are easy to get back onto but you will need to bring every disc un your bag because each hole is different
Cons: some of the fairways where you need bomb of a drive could be widened
Other Thoughts: the pin positions can be change around and the course can be made longer with just a few changes so before going out to play ask at the idge club house what the pin positions are in

A true mental test

2-4    11/25/2008   11/26/2008
Review By: rnance7
This review was updated on 3/15/2009
Pros: Very challenging. This course will put anyone in their place and helps you figure out very quickly how good you really are. A humbling experience. Very good tee signs, easy to navigate, multiple pin placements, very pretty setting and its at a wonderful facility.
Cons: Not a whole lot...can be very frustrating at times
Other Thoughts: This is a championship style course, so its not supposed to be easy...beginners would not have a good time here..

if you can't take the trees..stay off the fairway

1    11/13/2008   11/13/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: Long and tight, many placement shot holes. Some even allow you to bomb drives through tight woods- just be sure you know where you need to land. Scenic, rolling wooded hills by the lake. Cement tees, signs. All possible amenities on-site at the IDGC. 1 of 3 courses to pick from on site. Bad shots deservingly punished, but usually can make the shot to try and recover.
Cons: -When set up anything but shortest layout, it may be too tough (as in more of a hassle and frustrating experience) for beginners.
-Lake water level so low the water was nowhere NEAR being in play, instead 100's of feet away and therefore not adding a challenge yet still marked off OB area.
-With many layouts, can be hard to know which one it's in.
-A few holes (#3, #16) probably need re-designed or widened.
Other Thoughts: Other reviewers may not have had the necessary skill to play this course, which is frankly not meant to be played by lower level players without some high HIGH scores to be expected. I had no problem sticking to all but a few fairways, and making my shots work when needed.