Willow Creek, CA
3 / 215ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

The Fire is Melting

1    9/5/2012   10/20/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal Rank: 107

A prime example of Adventure/Extreme golf, the likelihood of leaving this course bruised and bleeding is fairly high. Steep hillsides, decent elevation, unique holes, nice views, and a very secluded rugged feel make this a DG experience to remember. Not for beginners, the out of shape, or the faint of heart. If you enjoy a physical challenge to go along with your round of disc golf, this course is for you.

If you're traveling through the Humboldt area and you have some free time after hitting the Arcata area courses, this one is definitely worth the drive, I know I'll make time to play this one any time I'm in the area.

And if you're lucky enough to get on the area's private courses, this one is no longer out of the way.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

I certainly enjoyed it.

1    3/19/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: nelsofthewoods
Pros: -Secluded. When I played I was the only person in the park. Didn't even see another vehicle until I was leaving.
-Near the 299, great stop if you are traversing between Arcata and Redding. The course in Weaverville is also good.
Cons: -Blackberry bushes. Also rumors of poison oak (I didn't see any but I don't think it was quite the season for it yet).
Other Thoughts: Whoever designed this course is insane. The first couple of holes are easy to average. Then out of nowhere it becomes a beast that wants to eat your discs and destroy you. I think it is hole 6 where you shoot straight up, hole 7 you shoot down the cliff you just played up maneuvering between a creek and blackberry bushes (there is a rope to assist you down the cliff on this hole), holes 8 and 9 require exact precision or you'll be romping through blackberries...not to mention the creek that comes into play moves fast enough to wash away your discs. The back 9 are more consistent and not as intense, but can keep you on your toes. Personally, I loved every second of it, but I can think of plenty of valley people who would go home crying after playing here. If you like rugged and unique courses you'll enjoy it. However, if you are more into mellow relaxing courses with low risk, it may not be your cup of tea.

18 Hole Willow Creek Course Review

1    7/5/2011   7/5/2011
Review By: lanningmorgen
Pros: 1) Not busy
2) Good baskets
3) Beautiful setting
4) Creek close by
Cons: 1) Poison oak
2) Thorns
3) Great chance of losing a disc (bring some you don't mind losing)
4) Criss-Cross shots on holes
5) Difficult trail
6) Minimal fairway
Other Thoughts: I liked it better when it was a 9 hole course.

Keep in mind that this course became an 18 hole course in 2010. Many of the reviews from other players are based on the "old" 9 hole course. I can appreciate the effort to make 18 holes, but some of them were so "crazy" to release a disc on, I decided to skip much of the course. Good luck.

5+    5/19/2011   6/25/2011
Review By: 707_Roc
This review was updated on 7/20/2011
Pros: The Steelhead DGC sits along the Trinity River in Willow Creek, CA. In addition to creating a great setting, the river also comes into play on a number of tee shots (5b and 6).

The course was recently increased to 15 holes and now presents an even better variety of obstacles and difficulty levels (some technical/short, some open/moderate distance, some with quite a bit of elevation change, some just plain easy).

All baskets, good signage and decent layout (you can find your way around this course without a guide).

There is a nice BBQ/Picnic area with plenty of shade for those hot summer days. While this area is sometimes be occupied, from my experience the course is generally empty.
Cons: Hole 5a short but very steep (you're basically scrambling straight up) and it may inhibit some people form being able to play holes 5a and 5b.

Practice basket is now the basket for the last hole.
Other Thoughts: Keep an eye out for Poison Oak. Weather can get pretty hot in the summer.

5+    8/1/2010   3/28/2011
Review By: tehrain
Pros: Beautiful weather in the summertime. Good variety for a small park.
Cons: Watch every shot, there are a ton of places for your disc to just disappear. Lots of poison oak and berry patches around.
Other Thoughts: This course makes a great little practice round if you are heading up to Ammon Ranch to play a REAL round. Consider this just a little appetizer to get your putter warmed up.

Breaking up the drive...

5+    6/2/2009   6/21/2009
Review By: humchris85
Pros: -Good mix of holes, Lefts, Rights, and Straight shots
-Multiple paths to choose from on some holes
-Beautiful Willow Creek flowing right next to hole 6 adds both to the beauty and challenge of the course.
-Short walk down a path between holes 5 and 6 to get to the river
-Practice basket
-All Baskets
-Good signage
-Some very challenging holes to get a 3 on.
-Some ace opportunities
-Playground for children
-Good for making a stop off the 299 while you're traveling through
-Easy to find, there's even a sign in town pointing you towards it
-Secluded and usually empty
Cons: -Poison Oak gets pretty bad on a couple holes
-Some holes too short and open.
-Only 9 holes* (10 if you know the extra hole)
-Blackberries can eat a disc or two on some holes
-Lefty favorable* (only a con in my book because I'm a righty)
-Slippery tee pads
-People going to the river sometimes park in the fairway of the new hole 9
Other Thoughts: I've played this course a bunch of times, and almost never ran into any other golfers out there, the only times I have, they have usually been people I know. It's a fun little course that makes good use of the land given. They had to move one of the holes recently, and though they made it harder, the fairway will sometimes have cars parked in it, which can be dangerous. This course was designed by one of the local disc golfers, Mike Belchik, a lefty, so the course is one of the few courses out there that is lefty favorable. That in and of itself could make the course worth a visit for any left handed golfers out there. On a hot day there's nothing better than a dip in the river, follow the trail between holes 5 and 6 to get there.

1    5/23/2009   5/24/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- This 9 hole course makes you work for what you get. A few of the holes are easy; but, the rest are serious golf holes. The pins are well guarded by either brush, OB, river, 'cliffs' and/or a combination of the bunch. Great tee-shots are required for realistic birdie oportunities on holes 4,5,6 - definately not gimmies.
- Baskets.
Cons:
- The tee-sign distances didn't match the actual on ground distances. One sign said 320 and the hole had to be at least 450 - I had 160' upshot and I threw a decent drive.
- Dirt tee-pads were slippery - gravel on top of hard pack.
- Poision oak on a few holes - not a con for me, just letting you know.
- Could be tough to find your way around. I had locals guiding me, but I think I could have done it without them.
- This was a cool course I had to cross off my checklist before I left Humboldt. Living in Arcata, I wouldn't drive out of my way to play this course again, but would play it if I was traversing Hwy 299 again.
- This is one of the better 9-hole courses you could come across; but, if you are on a DG vacation and are wondering if you should drive out to play willow creek or play more rounds at the Redwood Curtain/Area 74... I would say, save the gas! You'll have more fun in the redwoods anyway.
My score: -2

great course

5+    9/13/2008   1/13/2009
Review By: mike shoys
This review was updated on 1/21/2009
Pros: 1. beautiful setting and variety of shots
2. you will likely have the place to yourself
3. nice creek/river and some picinc benches to make a party of it
Cons: 1. berry briars cover much of the course
2. such a nice and secluded course you wish it was 18 holes
Other Thoughts: It was pretty far away from any other course, but we had tons of fun here. there are many opportunities to misfire a disc off into some very thorny brush, so bring your A game... and some long pants if you don't like scrapes...