Willow Creek, CA
3 / 158ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

The Fire is Melting

1    9/5/2012   10/20/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal Rank: 107

A prime example of Adventure/Extreme golf, the likelihood of leaving this course bruised and bleeding is fairly high. Steep hillsides, decent elevation, unique holes, nice views, and a very secluded rugged feel make this a DG experience to remember. Not for beginners, the out of shape, or the faint of heart. If you enjoy a physical challenge to go along with your round of disc golf, this course is for you.

If you're traveling through the Humboldt area and you have some free time after hitting the Arcata area courses, this one is definitely worth the drive, I know I'll make time to play this one any time I'm in the area.

And if you're lucky enough to get on the area's private courses, this one is no longer out of the way.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

I certainly enjoyed it.

1    3/19/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: nelsofthewoods
Pros: -Secluded. When I played I was the only person in the park. Didn't even see another vehicle until I was leaving.
-Near the 299, great stop if you are traversing between Arcata and Redding. The course in Weaverville is also good.
Cons: -Blackberry bushes. Also rumors of poison oak (I didn't see any but I don't think it was quite the season for it yet).
Other Thoughts: Whoever designed this course is insane. The first couple of holes are easy to average. Then out of nowhere it becomes a beast that wants to eat your discs and destroy you. I think it is hole 6 where you shoot straight up, hole 7 you shoot down the cliff you just played up maneuvering between a creek and blackberry bushes (there is a rope to assist you down the cliff on this hole), holes 8 and 9 require exact precision or you'll be romping through blackberries...not to mention the creek that comes into play moves fast enough to wash away your discs. The back 9 are more consistent and not as intense, but can keep you on your toes. Personally, I loved every second of it, but I can think of plenty of valley people who would go home crying after playing here. If you like rugged and unique courses you'll enjoy it. However, if you are more into mellow relaxing courses with low risk, it may not be your cup of tea.