Kyle, TX
Steeplechase Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: jdawg2008 Hole #12

great beginner course, good overall course.

2-4    9/5/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: kendan
This review was updated on 10/4/2010
Pros: The thing I like about steeplechase is the creek that runs through it. Right now it's sitting a bit out of it's banks which made crossing a little tricky on some holes. Overall though a nice challenging course for a beginner-intermediate. The driving range is a nice addition as well even if the numbers are off a bit it's still nice for a warm up. Like I said, it's a good course to play since it is kind of tucked away and if you live in the area you don't have to drive into austin. That being said there are better courses in Austin, but other than during the week most of them can get a little crowded.
So, Pros:
Creek adds a challenge to many holes
Not too crowded
Holes aren't too long, but the creek and trees add to the difficulty.
Nice baskets
Driving Range
Cons: A couple of days ago the creek was too high to pass, but that is because of the rain we had earlier in the week. The creek can be a pro and a con, on some holes if you hit a tree the discs usually will end up in the water, and this could take a little ingenuity to retrieve in the deeper parts. Most of the holes are on the shorter side, but with the creek and trees there it evens out. Also even a few days after rain the riparian zone around the creek stays fairly soaked so wear proper shoes.
Cons:
Creek level variability
Holes could be too short for some
Holes could have more trees than some people like
Grass can get kind of tall.
Other Thoughts: No real need for distance drivers other than for utility shots on this course. Most of the holes set up nice for quick birdies.

*update* Just got my first ace ever on hole 12 using my favorite DX 175g Banshee. Sidearm spike hyzer.

Steeplechase

5+    8/29/2010   8/31/2010
Review By: jmc_automatic
Pros: If you've read some of the older reviews, this course might sound pretty crappy, but it really depends on when you go. I've been 4 times since it's only about 10 minutes away, and have seen it both overgrown and nicely mowed. I've seen the creek completely dry and so deep you can't see the bottom. On a bad day, this course might be a 2.5, but I give it a 3.5 because when it's good, it's a pretty fun course. It's well paced with some huge wide open drives and tight short par 3's. The signs are very clear and while some might not like concrete tee boxes, other than dirt, that's the only kind I've ever played on, so I don't mind them. Much of the course is shady, which is great during the summer. I didn't see any poison ivy, but I wasn't looking for it either.
Cons: A couple holes have you throwing alongside areas with very tall grass that might make it easy to lose a disc. If the creek is up, there's one hole where you throw diagonally across a wide section of the creek that I've seen someone lose a disc into. One or two are missing signs, but it's usually pretty easy to figure out where you're going.
Other Thoughts: I haven't seen the course overgrown in a long time, so I think they might be taking better care of it. I think it's a pretty sweet course. Nothing frustratingly hard, but still challenging.

Home Course

2-4    8/21/2010   8/27/2010
Review By: riverara
Pros: This is my home course. And while this is maybe my 4th time playing here, it is also the first course I learned on.
It has a lot of trees throughout (perfect for hyzer, straight, and anny shots), some nice long drives, and some nice short holes that could be aced (for anyone better than myself). The park has a water fountain and restroom and playscape for your kids to play on.

Baskets are in good condition. I played once and basket #2 was missing. Ground keepers had it replaced by the next time I played. Nice signs too.

They also have a driving range. Measurements are a tad off though. No biggie. Also, to the right side of the driving range are a row of houses. So dont anny your drive and you should be good.
Cons: Poison Ivy. Ive never got it, and my father (who plays there at least 3 times a week) has never got it either. But its there. Ground keepers seem to do a good job at trying to keep it at bay and I noticed it all seemed dead this time around (vegetation killer maybe?)
Other Thoughts: There is a creek that runs throughout the whole course. I like the added challenge. It also allows for some good risk/reward type shots. Ive seen the creek dry as a bone and also deep enough to go over my head. So if your afraid to loose a disc don't play right after a rain.

good Intermediate course

1    8/8/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: teebob
Pros: This course is a fun intermediate lvl course that has longish paved teeboxes and signs that point you in the right direction.
It makes great use of the hills and slight elevation changes at the park.
There are tight and tecnichal holes and long bomb opportunities, as well as long technical throws.
The course was well kept and the creek added an extra challenge on many holes that would have otherwise been pitch and putt.
You start with a nice sweeping anny hole and end with a short ace run hole. Lots of ace runs.
Beginners and overhand players will not like this course
Cons: The tee box being pavement affected pivot on follow through.
Other Thoughts: I did not see any poison ivy/ oak even though there are signs that warn of it.

Don't Waste Your Time

1    4/25/2010   4/27/2010
Review By: Overhanding4distance
This review was updated on 12/16/2010
Pros: **Update** I haven't been back since my terrible experience at Steeplechase in April 2010, but I've been told by many golfers that this course is well kept right now.
I don't see myself as an overly tough critic, but the state of this course in April 2010 was inexcusable. It sounds like some objective reviews calling this course out maybe motivated some to keep it up.

I'm not going to lie, there are not many Pro's to this course. Just being honest.

Cons: -Missing Holes! (or the worst layout ever)
-Bad signage
-Most Overgrown Course I know of
-Even if this course was well maintained, it would be sub-par. Simply not enough available space to put an 18 hole course.
Other Thoughts: This is the only course that I've quit halfway through due to the sub par conditions.
Overgrown, missing holes, bad layout, no creative or unique holes.
Loud noises from play scape, and or party area that is right next to the course.

Continuously disappointed

5+    4/10/2010   4/10/2010
Review By: runninrbl
Pros: The course has concrete tee boxes and the layout for the course is not great but above average for Central Texas. If you like a hard course, this would be up your alley. The course is right off 35 and is close to several gas stations and an HEB. There are some long holes(>500) and lots of short technical holes(<300).
Cons: I live in Kyle, so it hurts me to say this, but never again will I make the mistake of wasting an afternoon at this course. I can even walk to the course from my house, but would rather make the drive to searight or circle c, where I can play 18 holes on a well kept course. This last time, I quit after hole four. Needless to say I spent over an hour there searching for my disc in a foot to 2.5 feet of weeds and stuff that makes your feet itch. On hole 3, I had to perform a grid search, walking from one side to the other, slowly making my way forward, in order to find my disc. In some places the stuff is well over 3 feet with god knows what lurking in there. The worst part is, we are talking about the middle of the fairway. Basket 2 is missing. I am assuming whoever is bashing in the signs and writing all over them is responsible for this. I don't understand why a city would spend good money on a course and just let it turn into a dump like this. It's sad. During the winter, the rain and creek level made this course extremely difficult to play, at least you could find your disc, that's if you don't throw it in the water, then good luck. As soon as you put anything in the water the mud gets mixed up and the water so murky the only way to find your disc is to drain the thing.
Other Thoughts: I have played this course and have had fun. That's when it has been dry a week or two and the course has been mowed, but it's almost like waiting for a blue moon. You would be wise to just stay in south austin and play the courses out there, otherwise, plan on being disappointed.

Great water course

5+    12/26/2009   12/29/2009
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 5/17/2010
Pros: -awesome course design!
-great use of the land/creek
-LOTS of water hazards (14 holes) but the water isn't too deep
-great signs
-dual concrete teepads
-many great technical holes, 4 semi-open holes
-big variety in distance, 6>500', 11<250'
-driving range (i'm told the distances are a little off)
-requires great accuracy and shot variety
-great risk/reward
-alternate pin locations
-close to I-35, easy to find
-nice park has baseball field, basketball courts, jungle gym, big open field
Cons: -LOTS poison ivy (i get some almost every time)
-no bathrooms
-prevalence of water can get irksome
-not many places to air out your arm
-little elevation change
-wind can sometimes be brutal
-alt pin locations but i've only ever seen them in 1 position
-water in the creek gets deep and dark on the back 6
-front 12 are pretty tight, no crossing fairways but possible to have people wander in front of you
Other Thoughts: This is a really fun little course, if you can deal with the water. The creek runs through the entire course and comes into play to some degree on all but 4 or so holes. It is a great challenge and really adds to the strategic aspect of the course but it can grate your nerves if you're not successfully avoiding it. Thankfully, most of it is not too deep and discs can be easily retrieved in most spots on the front 12. It's a little deeper and more treacherous on the back 6.

In addition to the water hazards, there are trees lining the creek all throughout the course as well. So you have to plan your lines around the trees as well as avoid the water. This makes the course very technical and creates a lot of risk/reward opportunities as well. There are lines to be found but it's a matter of accuracy.

Most of the holes are straight ahead to the basket but with lots of obstacles, forcing you to choose a line. No doglegs and only 3 left to right holes. There is also little elevation but the design does make use of what little elevation is available.

The course signs are great, very detailed, and the concrete tees are well sized and level. Solid Procatcher baskets are in good condition.

Despite the tricky trees and water hazards, this course is beginner friendly. 11 holes are under 250' so beginners won't be punished for distance, only accuracy.

Just keep a very close eye out for the poison ivy. It lines the creek and is very prevalent. Bring some technu or liquid soap and wash your hands frequently in the creek if you are susceptible.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

1    11/24/2009   11/24/2009
Review By: discgolfstig
Pros: Played this course today. Nice to have 2 concrete tee pads. A good mix of baskets in woods and in the open. Liked how course ran through and around the creek.
Cons: There was graffitti on all of the course signs. Course needs signs directing players to the next tee box. We had a few problems finding several of the tee pads for the next hole we were playing. There is a dire need for more places to cross the creek. Areas for crossing the creek was few and far between.
Other Thoughts: Changing the signs to reflect the correct number of pins for each hole. Signs pointing to the next set of tee boxes.

This course will test you

1    5/21/2009   5/23/2009
Review By: shawn_l
Pros: This course is a skillfully designed mix of shots you need to have. It's in the trees, it's out of the trees, it's next to the trees. It's over the water and next to the water.

The course is close to I-35, with gas stations and restaurants at the North and South exits, which is always nice. Parking is good, and close to #1 and #18.

The teepads are excellent! It's concrete, but with a rough, pebble like finish, so the traction is good and the footing is even.

The signage is top notch, with distance for both sets of tees and both sets of baskets (though only one basket is in play on each hole.) My favorite feature on the signs is the arrow pointing to the next tee. Here the pro tee and rec tee actually make a difference to the play, whereas most places it just makes it longer. Here it adds a significant difference in angle and shot selection.

There are plenty of benches to take a break on, and there's lots and lots of shade. Most holes are either completely in the trees or completely in the open field, but a few of them go from one to the other.

The creek looks like it was woven into the course after it was designed, it's so well integrated. Sometimes a boundary, and sometimes an obstacle, you must be conscious of it for about half the course. However, clear water and shallow depth make it a nuisance rather than a disc killer.
Cons: I was pretty excited to hear there's a driving range and a ranged putting practice area, but I could not find them. That doesn't mean they're not there, just that I couldn't find them.

For a first timer, teeing off #6 is very confusing. The basket to #10 looks like where you're going, but #6 is tucked into the tree line and you'll run right past it if you're not careful.
Other Thoughts: I see a lot of reviewers who say "holes are long and boring" and others who say "too many tight tree shots". This course is good because it mixes the two up. You get to bomb it off a handful of tees, you need to be able to throw an angle shot on a handful, and you need to be able to handle a few really tight alleys.

It is the combination that makes for a good course, and this course is masterful at using the terrain and gentle rolling elevation. Houck's design does the best job I've seen of using the creek here.

Hole comments: The back 9 is defintely stronger, but the front 9 is novel and interesting. #3 lets you really bomb your drive, and finishes with a cool little basket framed by the creek. #14 and #17 will measure your cojones as the basket is just across the creek.

Can I boil this review down to one sentence? This is a FUN place to play a round of disc golf.

Steeplechase...

5+    4/4/2009   4/6/2009
Review By: texasemt13
Pros: I just love this course. It really has a bunch of holes that require specific shots so you really have to develop your BH and FH, as well as anhyzer/hyzer. A good mix of a lot of trees and a lot of open fields. I love how this course sticks to the creek.
Cons: Watch out for water snakes (nothin' to big though) and poison ivy/oak.
Other Thoughts: Driving range isn't completely accurate on distance.