Toccoa, GA
Uploaded By: rampantdragon Hole #1

February 2014 Update

5+    2/16/2014   2/17/2014
Review By: DiscGolfMaster
Pros: Nice elevation changes. A good mix of long and short shots. Different sets of tees on some holes. The course has great potential.
Cons: No tee signs or next tee signs. We had to make up our own pars for the holes. Holes 1 through 7 were fun holes to play. If they just added in some tee signs and next tee arrows or something, they would have been great. Holes 8 through 12 were terrible. Several baskets always in view and with no signs it was impossible to tell where to throw. 9 - 12 criss cross and would make for an annoying day of disc golf if several other groups were out playing. Several tee pads do not point in the right direction. And although the pads are concrete, they are tiny. Half of them don't have enough room for a run up behind the pad, or the pad is elevated and you risk tripping. 13 - 18 are a mix of great holes to fair/terrible holes.
Other Thoughts: The course is in need of major work:

1. New tee signs
2. Next tee signs
3. larger pads or pads that are at least level with the surrounding ground.
4. Several holes need to be redesigned for more realistic play.
5. More of the holes need to be less straight so you can shape your shots. Not fun to pretty much throw dead straight at every hole all day.

At this moment, I would not recommend a visit to this course with the shape that it is in.

Good course going bad

5+    4/24/2011   4/25/2011
Review By: stg1020
Pros: A wide variety of layouts and terrain. Open shots, wooded, elevation changes etc...this could be a really good course.
Cons: Catch on hole 11 is still missing. No T-pad on 13 and 15, several pads are covered in mud. This course needs some work.

Relies on elevation

1    11/27/2010   11/30/2010
Review By: skamasterhenrik
Pros: *Rating is for both blue and yellow tees
-Secluded park disc golf, as we only ran into one other person on a saturday!
-Elevation, this course relies on elevation to provide shot variation and hole variance really well
-Concrete tee pads (for yellows) and most (for blues)
-Benches, trash cans, signage was all sufficiently available
-Yellow is definitely accessible for beginners/birdie hunters
-Blue tees provide a little push-back from a relatively easy course overall
Cons: -Atmosphere/scenery is ho-hum, course design is average
-Tee pads are a tad short
-Hole direction is merely an arrow (better than nothing) and there is little "next hole" info
Other Thoughts: I wasn't expecting too much from the course going in, but was pleasantly surprised by the elevation. Hole variety and shot selection rely on elevation and at times it feels like this redeeming factor is a crutch. I for one enjoyed the ups and downs. The course plays around the perimeter of the park semi-secluded from other park activities.
Memorable holes:
#7- I'm a sucker for severe downhill shots, and this one provides the goods. Its open and a strong arm will find the pin with a strong airy drive
#8- Nicely balanced hole from both tees, drive will go over a ditch with elevation on the left and in front gradually increasing as you reach the hole, which is tucked away behind a couple trees
#9- Sweeping downhill dogleg right perfect for lefties and sidearms, not much power is needed here as it is almost completely downhill right
#15- From the blues this a touch drive with a tree lined fairway to reach the pin

This course is average, however, I really liked how they brought elevation into play and also really enjoyed the multiple tees. I would consider this course to be more than sufficient if I lived in the area.

Here come the birdies!

5+    9/5/2010   9/17/2010
Review By: htorbit
Pros: Variety of holes. Good use of elevation. Good use of small ridgelines for pins. Gives a level of risk/reward. Long holes and short holes. Some holes have alternate pins and some have short tees. Benches and trash cans throughout the course. Overall very fun course.
Cons: Very short concrete tee pads and some aren't level with the ground so you have to step up on them. A few tees are still natural and they tend to wash when it rains hard. Due to the economic times, the parks dept. doesn't take as good of care as they once did, but course is never in bad condition.
Other Thoughts: Good people to play with in Toccoa! Excellent friday evening doubles action.

Nice

1    4/18/2010   4/18/2010
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Great use of elevation on all axis, you don't just get up and down shots, you get side to side as well and many baskets that will reward accuracy or punish you severely.
Multiple tee pads on a lot of holes with most of them being an actual different look, not just the same shot 50' back.
A great variety of distances which vary from in the 100s to the possibility of over 700, it is nice playing a course that is not constantly in the 200-300' range.
Signs on every tee that gives you a decent sense of where the basket is...which is good because there are a lot of baskets out there and if you don't have eagle eyes you could easily throw to the wrong one the first time!
Cons: Lots of roots and holes and other gotchas on the paths to and from holes...I am pretty sure I almost ended up on my back about 4-5 times.
Some steep declines that had/have makeshift steps but they are in ill condition and sometimes make it harder than it would be without them.
I can't say I cared for hole 19. I have no issues with risk/reward but this was a narrow trail on the side of a cliff with a creek about 40' down...bad luck and you would practically need repelling gear to get your disc back.
Small teepads that actually were so small that my wife complained at one point and she does not use a run-up.
Other Thoughts: A really cool course that shows its age a bit. Don't fret though, it isn't a wrinkly old grandma of a course...more like a seasoned cougar.
The course starts you out on a hole that punishes those who cannot shape a line with a basket sitting on the side of a 15' steep drop off...very cool.
Hole 7 was just awesome...the kind of hole you want to unload your bag on and then send your friend or kids down to pick them up so you can do it again.
Lots of hyzer/anhyzer shots that are out in the relative open...it seems like it would be a great place to work on shaping lines.
Absolutely A+ use of elevation, I loved the precarious pin positions on the hills...putt or die!!
I thought the back "6" felt a little forced and not nearly as good as the front 18.
Overall this course was worth the 75 mile drive and if it was nearby I would be happy to call it home.

Rose Lane Park

1    4/11/2010   4/12/2010
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros:
Great multi-use park situated in beautiful rolling foothills of northeast Georgia
Concrete tee pads on all holes
Multiple pro/am tee pads on most holes with adjusted pro/am scoring
Great variation of up/down and open/wooded holes
Lots of elevation changes; you'll get a good workout walking this course
Good signage on all holes (signs & posts at every tee pad, not just every hole)
Easy to follow course flow
Lots of benches throughout the course
Bathroom facilities at the baseball complex near first tee
Little to no interference with other park activities
No crowds (only one other group was sighted during our 2 1/2 hour round on a beautiful sunny weekend afternoon)
Cons:
The course in particular (and the park in general) is somewhat run down and really needs some TLC
Tee pads are way too short and many are not level
Really long walk from the end of the course back to your car (1/2 mile or so)
Other Thoughts: This is a very nice course that is to be enjoyed by both seasoned and recreational players. As a new player, I appreciated the shorter amateur (yellow) tee pads and favorable pars that let me be challenged without getting frustrated. Scoring opportunities are there for beginners if you have you're A-game going, but you won't post an astronomical score if you don't. I have played decent variety of courses over the last several months, and my legs have never had such a good workout as they did at this park. There are plenty of long uphill holes, which makes you really appreciate the balance of the downhills! I really appreciated the way they integrated the drop-offs behind the outfields of the baseball fields, much more so than what I have seen attempted at other parks. While the front nine is mostly open, the back nine is mostly wooded. Again, great use of elevation as well as basket placement causing you to plan and execute a variety of hyzer/anhyzer shots.

Needs some TLC: I easily would have rated this course a full disc higher had the course not been in such a rundown condition. A review of recent photos shows the course to be well maintained, so perhaps the economic downturn has taken a toll on the park budget. For example, there was tall grass and weeds covering the basket on the first hole to the extent that you could only see the chains and the top of the basket. Many long open fairways were overgrown with tall grass and weeds so much that I really had to hunt for several drives that normally would be in plain sight. Despite all of this overgrowth, the entire park was very clean with not a piece of trash to be found.

Awkward Tee Pads: The tee pads are way too short, something I did not notice until I fouled up my first several tee shots (I should have read the other reviews). I solved this by starting behind the tee pad, or doing a runup adjacent to the tee pad if there was a sharp drop off behind the pad. There were also several tee pads that were very unlevel side-to-side; one of them almost made me do a cartoon-like fall before I held up and settled for a runup next to the pad.

The tall grass and awkward tee pads detract somewhat from the course, but it is still a great place to throw a round and will be a regular on my playlist when I am in the area.

Excited to play here again...

1    4/7/2010   4/7/2010
Review By: ProOffense
Pros: For one thing the variety of par 4s and par 5s really gives you confidence off the tee. I was really excited to step onto the pads and know i have four strokes to spare regardles where the drive ends up. If you rip it where you want it, your looking at a two putt for birdie, or even a two putt for an eagle on one or two holes. There is a very satisfying risk/reward factor here. The notorious #7 for example... today my RHFH shots were not as clean as I usually throw, yet if you are on that day, prepare for a Sports Center Highlight! It's not the most challenging course as far as stressing your every skill, but enough to punish you if you don't have a game plan at every hole. This is a very above average course, yet still looking for a nudge into being a great course.
Cons: I don't care who you are, short tee pads suck eggs! These tee pads are very short and at times was worrying about running off rather than making a successful throw. Not that big of a deal, but definately as annoying as a papercut. Also a little plant killer specificly the thorns and briars wouldn't hurt. My playing partner, lets just say isn't a tiger woods of the disc course, threw a couple of my discs in the woods. Being a gentleman and with concern over my own merchandise, i went in after them. My legs feel like they have been beaten with ropes of razor wire. ALSO... make sure you get a clear idea of the dangers and boundries spotted before teeing off. the are a couple holes with fence along side the fairway and/or behind the chains. Fly over the fence, all you can do is wave goodbye. Came close to loosing one, but my inner Les Stroud kicked in and happen to find it. The last con, is the distance from the last hole to your car. From Tim-Buck-Too back to reality.
Other Thoughts: I ended up driving out about 45 min. to get to the course. It's not a trip i will make every weekend, but i will definately be back. Maybe play there a couple times during the warm season. If you in the area, definately check it out. If not, possibly make it a weekend trip with your friends, you will leave satisfyed.

Hidden GA Gem!

2-4    3/24/2010   3/24/2010
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: I really enjoyed this course. It has some eye popping elevations changes on several holes, both uphill and downhill.

Several of the baskets are high risk/reward factor as they are on a slope or an edge of a slope.

Two sets of pads with good enough signs. Concrete teepads that are good enough.

This course has longer holes, shorter putter type holes, both hyzer and annhyzer holes.

A good excercise and ending back to the ISLAND HOLE by the parking lot. The course flows well.

There is a good use of the natural landscape here, i.e., trees, slopes, and hills.
Cons: I think this course could benefit greatly from NexT signs. The first round my group played we had to check pads to see if it were the correct number to throw from.

I also thought there were a tad too many shorter putter shots here. It seems as if the hole is either a driver shot, or a putter/midrange shot. No real use for a fairway driver here, or a tweener shot.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, in a big park, in a safe area. It is overall a lot of fun and has a lot of neat holes. I would reccommend it. It is only an hour away from Central Park and in some beautiful scenery!!!

A pleasure to play

5+    9/5/2009   10/29/2009
Review By: Sadjo
This review was updated on 8/2/2010
Pros: This course is a great use of the elevation, the trees and the open spaces. If offers everything from short and tight holes to long and wide open holes.

If offers multiple tee pads and pin locations and is normally kept pretty well maintained.
Cons: Smaller tee pads and the signs are too close to the pads.
Other Thoughts: A very nice course and my favorite to play in Northeast Georgia.

1    8/5/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: rcracer757
Pros: A beautiful course. I am from Ohio so it was a good change of pace for me. There were rolling hills and many challenging shots. It was a real treat to play here. Very well maintained.
Cons: The baseball field is close by one a few holes. I just hope a game is not going on when I toss disc over on accident. I might not get my disc back. The gates were left open I think for that very reason.
Other Thoughts: I hope to make it back there some day for sure I loved the course.