Newberry, SC
Stoney Hill Share
Uploaded By: DavidSauls Hole #8 (Taken 4/2013)
-- / --   5 / 629ft.   5 / 629ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #6 Approach

Fantastic!

1    8/27/2014   9/27/2014
Review By: Apsey
Pros: -Long
-Challenging
-Unique
-Private
-Well Designed
-Great Baskets
Cons: I can't think of anything bad to say about this course. I know some people complain about the course needing to be mowed more often...but being that it's a private course run by someone with a full time job I think it's kept up beautifully given the circumstances.
Other Thoughts: Highly recommend this course. I can't wait to go back and play it!

1    11/27/2013   11/27/2013
Review By: roadtrip
Pros: Great variety, not just in the shots but in the layouts you can try. A 24-hole layout, two 18-hole layouts, etc. They often change the layouts, so you can play a year later and it's a new experience.
While there are tight holes (and some thick rough, and water), many of the fairways are open enough to let you air it out and play for placement.
The owners are very friendly and accommodating, a couple of cute kids running around give it a nice family vibe.
Beautiful lake, stream, trees, hills, etc.
Cons: Can be hard to follow, but the course owners are extremely helpful with guiding you. A few times you see a basket but have to throw to a hidden basket. Again, can be tricky but the guides help.
There are carpet tee pads, though they worked fine for me. I played after a hard rain and didn't slip any more than I would on a concrete tee.
Other Thoughts: The course is pretty remote. Stock up on drinks and snacks before you come. Lots of back-roads ways to get here. I went through Chester State Park on my way back to Charlotte - didn't take any longer than I-77 (so you can hit that new course if coming from Charlotte). The Sauls told me they have a pro-shop with hundreds of discs in Columbia, in case you're coming from that way. The reviews pretty well nailed it. I read a lot of them before playing and they were very helpful. It's hard to add anything new but I had this idea - no one lists the best place to take a leak on a course. On this course, walk behind #10's tee pad, behind the bench, and you've got a great view of this beautiful little stream hidden back there in the woods.

Some of the best Golf around.

1    10/18/2013   10/22/2013
Review By: sgamerp
Pros: Private Course, built and set up by the Sauls, and from the drive in to the last hole, you are reminded how much work and BEAUTY this course has.

Everything in disc golf is here, from longer to shorter holes, Elevation, water back drops, water carriers, great basket placement, hyzer, anhyzer,

This is really some of the "Best" Disc golf I have played. And not in me playing well, but just all out good golf. Every hole here is worth while to play, no fillers.

Two lay outs, both of them are covered on the map shows them well.

Great use of land to fill to make some of the best golf holes ever.

One of the coolest last holes ever, and the floating basket on
Cons: This course has three things bad with it, and really it's just getting nit picky.

1. The grooming could be a little better to make this place more pretty. (Once again the course is groomed nicely, but it's rough around the edges, but for a private course this is really just getting nit picky)

2. Carpet Tee Pads (Once again this is really nit picky) - when we played it rained the day before and they got slippy on about 3 holes.

3. could be a confusing course to find your way (Once again this is super nit picky as there is a map, but I played with someone who knew it, if I had to check the map every time it may take an extra 30ish minutes)
Other Thoughts: I took a 3 day disc golf trip where this was the 3rd course I played. I loved every bit of this and thank the guys for putting in the time and making one of the best courses I have ever played.

I would say that I can completely understand when people give this course a 4.5 because of the teepads, however I think because of the overall course play it makes it an even trade.

When you play hole 1 A you can see the road in the distance, once you have turn to 1 B you will be alone in the course with no one else, and no other things left besides the course.

I would plan on bringing water and food if you come here, because it is out there and will take about 2.5 to 4.5 hours depending on the pace of play.

Don't have to pay to play here, however I paid ten bucks and I feel like I should of left more. This place easy makes my top 3 favorite courses played and is hard to really place because I don't know if I will ever play another course like this. Great Time! and Thanks for everything!
_____________________________________
If you do not like my review, please give me a PM on what I can improve. Thanks!

Best Course in SC

5+    5/19/2013   5/20/2013
Review By: TOURNEYPLAYER
Pros: Let me preface by saying that I have played this course at least 6 times and the most recent was yesterday. I have not reviewed it yet because I like to write a review right after I have played it.

Now. This course is the most well designed course I have ever played. I was lucky enough to play a round with David and Chris as well as an out of towner. having the Sauls brothers there brought new insight into why they did what they did.

This course has 2 layouts. both equally challenging.

Diamond is an 18 hole beast with multiple holes over 700 ft. long water carries and overall punishment.

Quartz is a 24 hole layout with some of the longer holes being split up into multiple holes. dont let that fool you. you will still need every shot imaginable to shoot well.
they also added 4 new holes to this layout and changed a hole since the last time I played.

Here are some of the highlights of these changes and additions,

Hole 1a is a tough island hole. just how you want to start your rd. its a very fair sized island but the pressure is on from the get go.

Hole 1b is is a placement shot followed by a narrow fairway to the basket.

Hole 1c is like the Diamond Hole 1, you still get to bomb a drive down the hill, but instead of going to the left, the basket is in on the right. ( I got a three!!!)

no other changes for me until we get to 15b.
this hole is a low gap off the tee to a basket behind the dam.

this is not a change, but a highlight of my day out there; I parked the first water hole and hit the putt for a 2 for the first time. even though the carry is only 240, its still a scary throw and can make even the most confident player think twice.

17c is the last new hole, it starts near the top of the hill and plays to the basket for 17 Diamond. this basket sits on the dam, and has a large drop off behind it.

Ok, now that I have described all the changes, what else can I say. These guys have put so much thought into this course its amazing, every hole is designed with the utmost care. they also try to alternate throwing styles. while the first few holes are lefty friendly, the next couple go the other way. If you do not stay on the fairway you will be punished, and the best thing to do is pitch out. trying to make up for a bad shot by throwing something you are not comfortable with will result in more strokes added to your score.

OB is everywhere. but its not there just to be there. It serves a purpose. It prevents you from just winging it. you need to think before, during, and after each throw.
Cons: Nothing that I can think of. except that it isnt closer to my house. The Sauls brothers have really made something special here. anyone who loves true Disc Golf, played the way it was meant to be needs to pay these guys a visit.
Other Thoughts: Hole 18 is one of the coolest holes i have ever played. the green is a giant mound with the basket on top of it. there is a giant ravine on the backside that is all OB. Treacherous, but fair. a perfect finishing hole!!

Awesome course and Private

5+    10/10/2010   2/6/2011
Review By: filobedo
This review was updated on 4/18/2014
Pros: In my top 3 courses played and I would have to say the best course I have ever played which includes 3 of the current top 10 courses on DGCR. Some of my favorite holes in golf including,
#1 - Elevation is great for a short thrower like myself. I have made about 100 feet short of the creek before which is by the far the farthest throw this old guy has ever had.

#3 Really cool challenging short downhill anhyer shot with ob behind

# Prettiest hole on the course and lots of danger on the hole. Pierce the small gap and put for a 2,miss it and hope to make 4 if in the water.

#5 one of the best hole in golf. Teeshot is a placement shot, a perfect shot will five you a chance a birdie, a bad shot will have you hoping for a bogey.

#12 Funnest hole on course, short and straight downhill to an island green,

#14 long - One of the best holes I have played ever and is a par 5 with a tight island basket placement.

#16 long- you cross the water twice, if you have a perfect tee shot you can go for the green in two for birdie. This hole can really change a tournament if you do not play it smart and take not only the water but the wind in play.
The Sauls do a great job on this course and make it more challenging on a consistant basis. Par 3s, 4s and 5s with short and long tees. Spectacular views.

Cons: Nothing ,just suggestions which may be out of line (please don't ban me Sauls this is my favorite course on earth). I have been reluctant to say anything about this course negative but I am not a big fan of #11. I will say it is a very good hole but accuracy and some luck on this hole is a must to birdie it and not end up in the creek. I also wish the tee on the hanging basket hole was a little closer to see players have a better chance of trying to go for the green. Not sure if anyone has ever made it but currently that would be a great shot. The majority of teepads are carpet which is fine but I prefer the rubber mats that a few courses are starting to use such as Grand Central Station, Kure Beach and Sewee.
Other Thoughts: This course is ever changing due to David and Chris's vision for perfection. I have only been on property for sanctioned tournaments and this is a special place during those weekends. Each sanctioned event it seems the course has something new to make it even better. The camping the weekend of a sanctioned event is epic from hanging out with lots of golfers to dinner at Roma's Friday night and dinner on the property on Saturday. Also, Chris has started a casual mini golf round after the Saturday rounds of the April event which is a blast when hanging out with friends and Roscoe the dog who loves to camp with everyone and hangout. This is a must visit destination whether you are local or living out West,in the NE, MidWest, Southwest, etc.. If you have a chance to play in this area when visiting I would plan to visit the IDGC for a couple of days and camp and then contact the Sauls to camp and play at my favorite course in the woods. If you are attending the USDGC, there is usually a 1 day sanctioned event the Sunday after the USDGC finishes the day before and a perfect end to a great week. I just visited Stoney Hill (April 2014)for the first time since 2012 and the course looked better than ever and the holes 1a, 1b and 17a or b were newly added since my last visit and they are spectacular in keeping with the rest of the course and I now rate is a 5. 1b is one of the most challenging holes I have played.