Sunbury, OH
Kinslow Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: roadtripstuff Hole #3 (Taken 6/2009)

Super fun short course

1    9/17/2014   9/18/2014
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: If I could give 4-stars for fun and ease of play, this course would have gotten one. Don't know if I showed up after a course maintenance weekend, but the course was pristine! Nothing is more enjoyable than playing a course that is clean and in great shape. Kudos to the club that put the black drainage piping around the small trees. Might have to take that tip home with me.

Ok, besides the aesthetics of the fairways, the course is a great place for new players to learn. The short (some are less than 120') fairways are mostly open, but a few will take a little forehand hyzer shot or a touch shot to get up to the basket. Luckily for the errant shots that under brush is minimal, so the new player shouldn't get to aggravated when they hit the trees in the fairway.

Found navigating the course a breeze. easy to spot tee pads and signs helped a ton. Did notices that handful of tee signs were missing, not that it was a bit thing. When you're less than 200' away on most holes you can see the basket.

For those wanting to air it out a bit, holes 15-17 are in the 300' range, 16-17 being wide open. Nice test for the new players who need to stretch it out a bit
Cons: For what this course is, I didn't find many con's.If you're an intermediate player or above, you won't find the course all that challenging unless you want to work on your short game.
Other Thoughts: When you enter the park, keep on driving to the very back of the park, through the soybean fields and beyond. I almost thought I was driving through some farmers fields before I saw the parking area.

Short but Sweet

2-4    6/20/2014   6/22/2014
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Kinslow DGC in Sunbury, Ohio is a fun, quick course to play, and somewhat of a surprise when you first drive in via the rutted road to what simply looks like woods around a farm field. But you'll find concrete tees and Discatcher baskets, good signage (though some basket positions have been moved into longer blind spots), and a boatload of deuce opportunities for the technical shot lover.

With 15 holes at 230 feet or less, this course is all about finding the best line through the woods to set up your opportunity for a two. But don't get too greedy, because you will have to hit some pretty precise lines. I particularly enjoy floating an anny (rhbh) to the pin on hole 5 ('The Weave'), or hitting one of the two gaps on hole #10 ('Hookshot'). Oh, I should have mentioned that I really like the descriptive names for each of the holes. They fit nicely to remind you of a key feature each time (see tee signage for details).

Though they had little elevation to work with, the designers did a nice job of using the woods for the front nine, incorporating the edges on 10 through 14, and then giving a pair of opportunities for bigger arms to gain a stroke on the rest of us on holes 16 & 17, before reminding you on 18 that this is predominantly a woods course.
Cons: Though the little bridges and logs try to compensate, there are damp times of the year when you'll likely be getting your feet either wet or muddy on holes like #7 ('Swamp Thing') or #11 ('Over the Top': it's pretty marshy down low).

The signs are nice, but need updating to reflect the (improved) new, blind basket positions.

The course plays safe, flows well, and has some interesting variety, but tends to lean a little stronger on left to right shots (favoring lhbh or rhfh thowers).

Finally, I imagine that higher skilled players might get a little bored once they've thrown a few rounds here down around 40, because they tend to start looking for more challenge.
Other Thoughts: I first played Kinslow as the middle round of the King of Courses last year, and that is an event to survive, not to evaluate a course. So I returned this summer only to get washed away by a downpour just as I got out to hole 15! Even though my experiences there have been a little 'jinxed', I really enjoy this course for its fun factor.

Fun little course

2-4    4/27/2013   4/30/2013
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: Sunbury is a pretty decent course. I like wooded courses, and the majority of the holes here are in the woods. The open holes were challenging to me -- I'm not a big arm by any means, and when I try to unload a bomb I usually lose a LOT of accuracy, so I was thankful that the longer holes were pretty open.

Sunbury is a great beginner course -- the wooded holes are VERY short, reminding me of the course in Virginia that I learned to play on. Good, new cement tee pads, good descriptive tee signs (even though there was some graffiti on some). FULL of ace runs. Plenty of left-to-right shots -- GREAT shot diversity to test your accuracy.
Cons: The par posted on many of these holes is ridiculously inflated. I played a Vibram Birdie Bash here, and we used posted par, so this con DID benefit me, and I understand trying to take trees into consideration when posting the hole par, but there should never be a par 4 that is less than 200 feet (holes 5 and 7, I'm looking at you!). 17 is a legit par 4 that's listed as a par 5.

The day I was there, the grass on 16-18 was pretty long, which made finding some drives a bit of a challenge.
Other Thoughts: I had a blast here, even though I didn't shoot as well as I should have. Hole 7, in spite of having an inflated par, ate my lunch in both rounds -- I hit the same stupid tree both times, and had trouble recovering. This course is the perfect venue for a Birdie Bash (or an Ace Race, for that matter). It's not difficult to find at all, there are restaurants close by for lunch/dinner, and the course is challenging without being oppressive for beginners. Experienced players should play the whole thing as par 3s (and I don't advocate that often) except for 17 (play it as a par 4). You'll still score well, since so many of the early wooded holes are ace runs.

I played the course with a Trak and a Ridge at the Birdie Bash, and I look forward to coming back and trying the course with my full bag.

Getting better

5+    4/30/2012   5/1/2012
Review By: thebuckeyeguy
Pros: A few of the holes have flags for back pads. I also saw some sleeves for alternate pin locations. For natural pads these are pretty good. A lot of brush has been cleared out since I was last here; I even went into some thick stuff and still found my disc immediately. Played a second round by myself from the fronts in 35 minutes. Decent mix of LtR and RtL. A couple of mandos present to add challenge. A "disc golf course" sign was by the road, which helps with navigation issues (this course used to be kinda tough to find as it is pretty far off the road). Plenty of ACE runs.
Cons: SO short. Still fun, because you do still have to hit a line in the woods, but even if your drives are off you'll be looking at a putt for two. That's nice and all if you need a pick-me-up, but there just isn't much challenge.
Other Thoughts: This course is good considering there is simply not a lot of land to work with here. Maybe a quality 9 holer could have been put in instead, but it is nice to be able to breeze through it. The course was actually somewhat crowded, but I was allowed to play through, so thank you to the locals. While not a destination course, it is a compliment to the area. Unlike shorter courses around like Blendon and OSU, there are in fact tight lines to hit. If they add a few more back pads and alternate pin locations where accessible, or if they make the rough OB, this would be a pretty decent course.

Sunbury

5+    5/5/2012   12/20/2011
Review By: Derek B
This review was updated on 5/10/2012
Pros: Good putting/ mid-range practice.
Nice mix of left and right holes.
Good mix of open and wooded holes.
No wait to shoot usually.
Front nine wooded/back nine mostly open
Cons: Holes are short, but this is partly due to the lack of land on which to build the course.

Other Thoughts: I have completely revamped my review of this course. The Flyers Disc Golf Club made quite a few changes to the course recently. Holes 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 12 and 14 have new pin positions. Hole 7 also has a new tee pad location. Also, they added 5 pro tees on H1, 4, 8, 11 and 15. New benches have been installed. Concrete tees are coming shortly.

The course plays harder now. Some of the holes on the front 9 are now tight thread-the-needle style holes. If you hit a tree you could easily take a bogey. Shooting from the pro tees only magnifies this problem.

For the tournament last weekend, they made the creek and beyond out of bounds on holes 1 and 15 (the creek on both holes is behind the basket, so anything in the creek or beyond it is OB). I recommend playing with this OB in effect.

On H14, the woods on the right from the tee to the basket was played as OB. I recommend playing with this OB in effect.

With all of these changes, Sunbury has new life now. Enjoy!

Sunbury Trainer

5+    6/20/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: HIGHFLYER
Pros: *Great mix of wooded and open holes.
*Course is short enough to alow inexperianced players a chance to grow.
*Good for practicing your technical game and putts.
*Good confidence boosting course
*Started mowing more narrow defined fairways,adding another layer of difficulty.
Cons: *Short Course.
*No Concrete Tees.
*Course location not well marked for out-of-towners.
Other Thoughts: This course wont blow you away by any means...but it has some charm, and 3 or 4 ace runs that will make it a fun round anytime.
My brother and I average -11 there with par at 54.

Nice little course

1    8/30/2009   8/30/2009
Review By: th1sjust1n
This review was updated on 9/18/2010
Pros: ++Clearly marked and signed holes!
++Easy to navigate!
++Top quality baskets!
+Nice technical play in the wooded sections
+Aceable holes
+Trash cans throughout course
+Secluded and out of the way
Cons: -Natural tees are not maintaned the best
-Par for some holes seem absurd
Other Thoughts: First round today at this course. My group and I had a wonderful time. This course is out of the way and in a peaceful park well of the main road. Makes for a nice round of DG. Quite a few people came through the course while we were there.(Sunday afternoon)

Sunbury has a lot of wooded holes which makes for technical play on many of them. Thankfully there are some more open holes that you can throw a bit stonger on. Even so I enjoyed the whole course for its merrits. However, the shorter distances could be a deterent to some more advanced players or players looking for a different style of play.

The natural tees were well marked but many were in need of some TLC. It had rained recently and all of us did our share of 'sliding' into our throws. On a dry day the only real complaint is that some of the tee surfaces are really rough from lots of play and little maintenance.

As another reviewer mentioned, each hole is 'named'. This is a nice touch and is quite accurate in many cases. The only issue here is that some 'citizens' decided to use a Sharpie and rename some of the holes by writing on top of the plexiglas. This isn't the courses fault or the fault of those that made the signs. Just an unfortunate aspect due to jerky players.

This course has some aspects that I see as absolutes for a good DG course.
1. Good hole design and flow from one to the next.
2. Good signage. This course has excelent, well posted signs with good info
3. Nice consistent baskets. This course has Discatcher.
4. Varying forms of play and shot selection.

The quality upsides of this course heavily outweigh the downsides. Many of the challenges this course has would probably be due to, IMO, funding and local support. One of the local players we talked wth spoke of how many people leave the course angry because of the short distance holes and lack of open shots. Those could be/are valid complaints based on your play style but the course shouldn't suffer because of that. I'd like to have a couple more 400+ holes on the course but I still had a great time all the same.

1    4/12/2009   4/12/2009
Review By: Swankdude
Pros: Decent variety of play at this course. Some great holes in the woods beginning the round, with a few surprises on the back nine. I really enjoy hole 13 which is a decent length hole down a sort of "Pine Alley" if you will.
Cons: Even though they do have some bridges out there it can get really sloppy after a good rain.
Other Thoughts: The course is named Kinslow I believe. Most of the holes curve to the left which is a bit different from the other local courses.