Sunbury, OH
Kinslow Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: roadtripstuff Hole #5 (Taken 6/2009)
Hole #5 Approach

Super fun short course

1    9/17/2014   9/18/2014
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: If I could give 4-stars for fun and ease of play, this course would have gotten one. Don't know if I showed up after a course maintenance weekend, but the course was pristine! Nothing is more enjoyable than playing a course that is clean and in great shape. Kudos to the club that put the black drainage piping around the small trees. Might have to take that tip home with me.

Ok, besides the aesthetics of the fairways, the course is a great place for new players to learn. The short (some are less than 120') fairways are mostly open, but a few will take a little forehand hyzer shot or a touch shot to get up to the basket. Luckily for the errant shots that under brush is minimal, so the new player shouldn't get to aggravated when they hit the trees in the fairway.

Found navigating the course a breeze. easy to spot tee pads and signs helped a ton. Did notices that handful of tee signs were missing, not that it was a bit thing. When you're less than 200' away on most holes you can see the basket.

For those wanting to air it out a bit, holes 15-17 are in the 300' range, 16-17 being wide open. Nice test for the new players who need to stretch it out a bit
Cons: For what this course is, I didn't find many con's.If you're an intermediate player or above, you won't find the course all that challenging unless you want to work on your short game.
Other Thoughts: When you enter the park, keep on driving to the very back of the park, through the soybean fields and beyond. I almost thought I was driving through some farmers fields before I saw the parking area.

Short but Sweet

2-4    6/20/2014   6/22/2014
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Kinslow DGC in Sunbury, Ohio is a fun, quick course to play, and somewhat of a surprise when you first drive in via the rutted road to what simply looks like woods around a farm field. But you'll find concrete tees and Discatcher baskets, good signage (though some basket positions have been moved into longer blind spots), and a boatload of deuce opportunities for the technical shot lover.

With 15 holes at 230 feet or less, this course is all about finding the best line through the woods to set up your opportunity for a two. But don't get too greedy, because you will have to hit some pretty precise lines. I particularly enjoy floating an anny (rhbh) to the pin on hole 5 ('The Weave'), or hitting one of the two gaps on hole #10 ('Hookshot'). Oh, I should have mentioned that I really like the descriptive names for each of the holes. They fit nicely to remind you of a key feature each time (see tee signage for details).

Though they had little elevation to work with, the designers did a nice job of using the woods for the front nine, incorporating the edges on 10 through 14, and then giving a pair of opportunities for bigger arms to gain a stroke on the rest of us on holes 16 & 17, before reminding you on 18 that this is predominantly a woods course.
Cons: Though the little bridges and logs try to compensate, there are damp times of the year when you'll likely be getting your feet either wet or muddy on holes like #7 ('Swamp Thing') or #11 ('Over the Top': it's pretty marshy down low).

The signs are nice, but need updating to reflect the (improved) new, blind basket positions.

The course plays safe, flows well, and has some interesting variety, but tends to lean a little stronger on left to right shots (favoring lhbh or rhfh thowers).

Finally, I imagine that higher skilled players might get a little bored once they've thrown a few rounds here down around 40, because they tend to start looking for more challenge.
Other Thoughts: I first played Kinslow as the middle round of the King of Courses last year, and that is an event to survive, not to evaluate a course. So I returned this summer only to get washed away by a downpour just as I got out to hole 15! Even though my experiences there have been a little 'jinxed', I really enjoy this course for its fun factor.

Fun little course

2-4    4/27/2013   4/30/2013
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: Sunbury is a pretty decent course. I like wooded courses, and the majority of the holes here are in the woods. The open holes were challenging to me -- I'm not a big arm by any means, and when I try to unload a bomb I usually lose a LOT of accuracy, so I was thankful that the longer holes were pretty open.

Sunbury is a great beginner course -- the wooded holes are VERY short, reminding me of the course in Virginia that I learned to play on. Good, new cement tee pads, good descriptive tee signs (even though there was some graffiti on some). FULL of ace runs. Plenty of left-to-right shots -- GREAT shot diversity to test your accuracy.
Cons: The par posted on many of these holes is ridiculously inflated. I played a Vibram Birdie Bash here, and we used posted par, so this con DID benefit me, and I understand trying to take trees into consideration when posting the hole par, but there should never be a par 4 that is less than 200 feet (holes 5 and 7, I'm looking at you!). 17 is a legit par 4 that's listed as a par 5.

The day I was there, the grass on 16-18 was pretty long, which made finding some drives a bit of a challenge.
Other Thoughts: I had a blast here, even though I didn't shoot as well as I should have. Hole 7, in spite of having an inflated par, ate my lunch in both rounds -- I hit the same stupid tree both times, and had trouble recovering. This course is the perfect venue for a Birdie Bash (or an Ace Race, for that matter). It's not difficult to find at all, there are restaurants close by for lunch/dinner, and the course is challenging without being oppressive for beginners. Experienced players should play the whole thing as par 3s (and I don't advocate that often) except for 17 (play it as a par 4). You'll still score well, since so many of the early wooded holes are ace runs.

I played the course with a Trak and a Ridge at the Birdie Bash, and I look forward to coming back and trying the course with my full bag.

Nice course.

2-4    4/22/2013   4/23/2013
Review By: jflossy
This review was updated on 5/1/2013
Pros: Concrete Tee Pads
Good Signage
Nice condition
Clean
Nice use of wooded and more open areas
Beginner Friendly
No people
Nice technical/short game practice
Benches and trash cans
Cons: A few snoozers
Only one or two holes 300'+
Pothole ridden driveway and parking lot
Can get very swampy
Other Thoughts: I made my first trip to this course yesterday and enjoyed myself over two rounds, shooting 51 and 49. It seems that many of the holes are in a longer position through the early woods holes although #3 is still a gimme. The course was well maintained, and sparsely populated so it played very quickly. I will make the drive up from Columbus again soon.

Good technical course

2-4    2/23/2013   2/24/2013
Review By: Puckstopper
Pros: Good variety with a tight wooded layout up front and some more open holes further back.

Concrete teepads

Good number of trash cans ensures that the course is clean.

Multiple pin positions on several holes.
Cons: Signs are out of date, and do not show alternate pin positions.

Some of the alternate pin positions are overly punishing, with no legitimate approach route.

Course is towards the back of the park, on a poorly maintained road. Do not bring a low slung vehicle to this course.
Other Thoughts: With a little work this could be a solid course. New signs and a little landscaping work creating approaches to the alternate pin positions would earn a full point bump from me.

As it sits, this is a fun course that I will play occasionally when I want to work on technical shots, but I wouldn't drive more than 45 minutes to play it.

Getting better

5+    4/30/2012   5/1/2012
Review By: thebuckeyeguy
Pros: A few of the holes have flags for back pads. I also saw some sleeves for alternate pin locations. For natural pads these are pretty good. A lot of brush has been cleared out since I was last here; I even went into some thick stuff and still found my disc immediately. Played a second round by myself from the fronts in 35 minutes. Decent mix of LtR and RtL. A couple of mandos present to add challenge. A "disc golf course" sign was by the road, which helps with navigation issues (this course used to be kinda tough to find as it is pretty far off the road). Plenty of ACE runs.
Cons: SO short. Still fun, because you do still have to hit a line in the woods, but even if your drives are off you'll be looking at a putt for two. That's nice and all if you need a pick-me-up, but there just isn't much challenge.
Other Thoughts: This course is good considering there is simply not a lot of land to work with here. Maybe a quality 9 holer could have been put in instead, but it is nice to be able to breeze through it. The course was actually somewhat crowded, but I was allowed to play through, so thank you to the locals. While not a destination course, it is a compliment to the area. Unlike shorter courses around like Blendon and OSU, there are in fact tight lines to hit. If they add a few more back pads and alternate pin locations where accessible, or if they make the rough OB, this would be a pretty decent course.

Sunbury

5+    5/5/2012   12/20/2011
Review By: Derek B
This review was updated on 5/10/2012
Pros: Good putting/ mid-range practice.
Nice mix of left and right holes.
Good mix of open and wooded holes.
No wait to shoot usually.
Front nine wooded/back nine mostly open
Cons: Holes are short, but this is partly due to the lack of land on which to build the course.

Other Thoughts: I have completely revamped my review of this course. The Flyers Disc Golf Club made quite a few changes to the course recently. Holes 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 12 and 14 have new pin positions. Hole 7 also has a new tee pad location. Also, they added 5 pro tees on H1, 4, 8, 11 and 15. New benches have been installed. Concrete tees are coming shortly.

The course plays harder now. Some of the holes on the front 9 are now tight thread-the-needle style holes. If you hit a tree you could easily take a bogey. Shooting from the pro tees only magnifies this problem.

For the tournament last weekend, they made the creek and beyond out of bounds on holes 1 and 15 (the creek on both holes is behind the basket, so anything in the creek or beyond it is OB). I recommend playing with this OB in effect.

On H14, the woods on the right from the tee to the basket was played as OB. I recommend playing with this OB in effect.

With all of these changes, Sunbury has new life now. Enjoy!

WTF?!?!?

1    6/15/2011   6/15/2011
Review By: SuperG7
Pros: -Ace runs
-Professional signage
-Nice change up of left shots, right shots and straight shots
-Not many traffic
Cons: -Natural tee pads
-Swampy after a light rain
-The open holes have a nice fairway but the rough is huge unmaintained grass
-Hard to find got lost for a half hour PLUS long drive through a horrible gravel road
-Tons of branches and down trees are throughout the fairways through the woods
-Way to short of pin positions
-Not much change in elevation
Other Thoughts: This is a beginners course that has some nice ace runs... If I were the course maintainer I would make the holes longer as they do have nice pin positions (nice change up from lefty shots to righty shots. Could be maintained better by cutting down dead trees/removing the trees and nastiness from the fairways. All in all if you and your buddies are wanting hit aces while slippin in the mud then have fun

1    7/30/2010   7/30/2010
Review By: OhioDiscer
Pros: Not to crowded on the weekends. Noticeable Innova baskets. Great use of nature holes, and out in the open. Easy to see signs.
Cons: No tee pads just grass or dirt. sometimes if it rains the dirt can become a mess if your teeing off. Long drive from the entrance to the course can become very bumpy because it's just gravel.

Sunbury Trainer

5+    6/20/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: HIGHFLYER
Pros: *Great mix of wooded and open holes.
*Course is short enough to alow inexperianced players a chance to grow.
*Good for practicing your technical game and putts.
*Good confidence boosting course
*Started mowing more narrow defined fairways,adding another layer of difficulty.
Cons: *Short Course.
*No Concrete Tees.
*Course location not well marked for out-of-towners.
Other Thoughts: This course wont blow you away by any means...but it has some charm, and 3 or 4 ace runs that will make it a fun round anytime.
My brother and I average -11 there with par at 54.