Wrightwood, CA
Sky High DGC Share
Uploaded By: mikethrice Hole #9 (Taken 6/2009)
3 / 361ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Epic SoCal course

5+    5/10/2013   4/16/2014
Review By: Nasastevo
Pros: *Altitude
*Cool fresh mountain air
*Panoramic views
*Campgrounds
*Great mix of technical and BOMB drive holes
*Great proshop with ice cold beer and decent food
*Friendly knowledgeable staff
*The best $35 I spend every year!
*27 holes or 3 separate 9's. You chose...
*Dave Dunnipace (Innova) designed, so you know it's great!
*The BEST course in SoCal. BAR NONE. Don't believe me? Come out and play it!!
Cons: Buckthorn! Rattlesnakes! Lost discs, oh my!
Seriously not negatives just hazards. Bummer that it's not open year round but I'd rather not play in snow anyway...
Other Thoughts: Whether you live in SoCal or are visiting, YOU MUST PLAY THIS COURSE! Trust me! It's an experience that all disc golfers will enjoy and remember!

FANTASTIC- If its open!

1    7/25/2012   3/13/2014
Review By: Numbnuts
Pros: *Amazing variability
*Clubhouse with discs for sale
*Very secluded, beautiful scenery
*Very rugged
*Well Designed
*Huge course
*Excellent challenge that starts out at intermediate difficulty and stays at pretty high level
*Awesome elevation changes
Cons: *Some VERY thorny areas
*Limited access throughout the year
*Maps needed (available at club house)
*Pay to play
Other Thoughts: This course is amazing, shared with a ski course on Mt. High, there is great variabliity in elevation, with 27 holes that stretch very far out, but bring you back to the clubhouse when you finish. You need to be in good shape to play this course, it is a mountain hike that will take the better part of the day to play. It is pretty far off the beaten path, so plan to make a day out of it and bring some provisions. It is only open a short time of the year, so check to make sure the course is open by calling before you make the trip. For experienced players only! I recommend wearing long pants, as this densely wooded area is very established, with some VERY nasty bramble patches that, if your disc lands in them, prepare to get pricked, and these patches are right in the path of some of the holes. If you are up for the challenge, I highly recommend experiencing this course.

It's all in the name...

2-4    5/24/2013   6/14/2013
Review By: JasonVista
Pros: -Beautiful views, clean air, truly an adventure in nature.
-Challenging and exciting layout with tons of risk/reward shots.
-Aside from the disc golf challenge this course is also a fitness challenge with massive elevation changes throughout. It's an awesome hike!
-TJ in the shop is SO helpful (I played a tournament up here and had the amazing luck of getting paired up with him)
-NOT brutal in it's difficulty. Someone had told me this course was as tough as Dela, but that was non-sense. You can score out here if you are having a good round, but extreme punishment is lurking behind the next pin should you make a little error.
-It's fun to see the difference in stability of the discs at elevation, it's pretty crazy. Definitely bring your beat in plastic and send it soaring on lines it hasn't seen since day one.
-Course has a very fair variety of RHBH and LHBH holes... my RHFH came in really handy on the final 9 up above the lodge to ring up a few birdies.
-Hole 1 is an amazing down hill bomb, as well as hole 11. Both incredibly fun, crazy, dangerous, things of beauty.
-The rest of the holes (except #3). Every hole feels well designed, and the magnitude of the mountains lends an epic feeling to every hole.
Cons: -Hole #3, smoted me in the tournament. Short down hill putter toss. Was my 25th hole played and I was -6 before arriving. I gently threw my putter, and the head wind coming off the desert caused the putter to never, ever fade. That thing went forever, after looking for a while about 600 ft from the pad, down the mountain, I had to re-tee, and got a triple bogey. Oh well.
-Only open Fri-Sun, wish I could live nearby and play everyday out here.
Other Thoughts: This course is really fun! I can't wait to get back up here soon and play more.

Views and hikes that will take your breath away

2-4    6/2/2013   6/8/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros:
The drive up from I-15 ascends several thousand feet and gives you a taste of what you'll find on the course. The first hole is an exhilarating bomb down a bunny hill slope. The rest of the front 9 plays below the lodge, winding among the tall and spare pines.

The middle 9 begin with one of the most picturesque holes I've played, a 500+ foot downhill missile launch. There aren't many trees to hit…except the two that are within three feet of the tee pad. There is a huge gap between them, but those trees definitely got in my head. No one wants to throw a 3-foot drive on this hole. At the bottom of this hole is a spectacular vista, along with a tee pad whose tee sign urges you to "sacrifice" a disc over the edge. There is actually a pad aiming over the edge. I wish I'd brought a crappy disc to throw.

The final 9 play above the lodge. Each 9-hole loop returns you near the lodge.

Every tee pad is rubber. It seems like most ski hill courses have natural pads, so this was a nice change. Signs are at most holes and give some good warnings on holes that you really don't want to overthrow.

There are some truly fun drives here.
Cons: The biggest con here is that, while there are a ton of fun shots, the challenge is limited. Paul McBeth owns the record at -21. The trees are used decently on some holes, but it would not be shocking to have a round where you never hit a tree. Most of the holes are pretty wide open. I know that part of the reason is that the course is on the part of the ski hill where people actually ski (i.e. not a ton of trees), but courses like Mt Charleston have fit in tight holes in spite of this. I wonder if more clumps of trees couldn't have been used to force more types of shots on certain holes.

I found the final 9 holes to be a bit of a letdown after the first 18. They crisscross their way up the mountain with only two real payoff holes. They're not bad at all, just not as good as the earlier holes.
Other Thoughts: I can't think of any course I've played with better views than this. And the elevation feels great above the heat of the valley below. You'll have time to take in the views when you're catching your breath from the hike up and down the slopes. Bring some water, too.

I played this on the way to L.A. and on the way out of town, and the $7 was well worth it both times. The guy who runs the course indicated the owners have been willing to put more money into the course as more people have come. Good. This is a must-visit course if you're in the area.

Amazing Course!

1    9/1/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: cvvanarsdale
This review was updated on 9/4/2012
Pros: This was by far the best course I have ever played. I will definitely be back to play more in the future.

-Great view and beautiful course.
-Well manicured.
-Challenging holes.
-Rubber tees.
-Multiple pins for most holes.
-Nice staff at the pro shop.
-The course has a simple layout and we never got confused when we looked for the next tee.
-Bathrooms close by the end of the first 9 and the end of 27, they were very clean.
-Ran into some players from Innova. They play here from time to time because the company is down around Ontario.

To add to the staff at the pro shop, he was very thorough with the course directions. He also gave us a few tips on the course and allowed us to borrow discs that we were thinking about buying, for no charge.

If you get the chance, play this course.
Cons: I honestly don't really have anything bad to say. Some of the tee signs need to be fixed, but additional to that I have no major complaints.
Other Thoughts: Some other reviews say that there should be some shorter holes or that the long pins would not be easy to play, but honestly when I went there was only one or two holes that you played short on. I personally think that's what makes it a challenge. When you are from a town where there is only one short course where every hole is 150-250 feet, you want to throw far. I am still fairly new to the game and I was still able to manage to par over half of the holes.

I know I have been playing for less than a year, but I have played over 7 courses now, ones that were straight up terrible and others that were almost as great as Sky High. You don't have to be an expert to spot a good course from a bad one.

I Love Disc Golf

2-4    8/12/2012   8/21/2012
Review By: My dads Lion
Pros: Course was really fun with all the adventure style holes and wildlife to boot. Lots of shade, mixture of holes, fresh air, views, scenic landscape, sweet pro shop, bathrooms, food close by, parking lot, cool temperatures, easy to follow, and the challenge was king.
Cons: I honestly dont have any. Went so smooth I cannot think of another time that was this good. Dad paid for me to play and my food, so win win for the youth players.
Other Thoughts: Wish I lived closer, I would play this one alot. The area is beautiful and with two courses in Wrightwood you cant go wrong, just need a connection to get in the other. I recommend playing here for the entire day, you wont go wrong, the other area courses just dont compete.

Wow Wow Wow

2-4    8/12/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: mariana_ryan
Pros: First off I have probably been to 50 courses with my dad as a player and spectater, this course was the longest and most challenging. The day we showed up all the holes were in the short positions which was sweet. ( I got 2 birdies). Awesome downhill holes that enable the younger crowd to throw further then ever, I did on hole 11. Course was easy to follow and we actually played the 1st and last 9 hole loops quick. I loved the weather and no bugs. I didnt see any bugs or get bitten, thank god. This course makes you feel like champion once you complete it and it wasnt bad with all the shade and walking down a hill to finish. I also liked that we got ice cream and food right after in town like a few minutes away. Plenty of stores to stock up on grub before you head up. By far the most challenging course I ever played or witnessed.
Cons: I did see a snake on hole 12. Wish there was water on the course, Its tough carrying 9 discs and a few water bottles up the hills. It would be cool if there was closer tees for the younger crowd or most as good. I dont know if I could of played the entire thing if the holes werent all in the shorts, I cannot image what the longs would have looked like.
Other Thoughts: This is the hardest course I have ever played. My dad took me here and told me to prepare myself for a monster course that was going to give me a real work out and help get me in shape for soccer, he wasnt lying. Also the pro shop was awesome and super nice. I had a great burger there and got a nice pink leopard from the shop which was loaded in discs.

Summer 2012

5+    8/12/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: cordovafirebird
Pros: First off I have been playing this course for 5 years and with all the improvements over the years I finally feel its deserving of a 5. I feel that the current layout enables you to start on any 9 hole loop and play the course with no problems, especially if you show up on a crowded day which has never occured. The layout is simple to follow and you have direct line of sight to the next teepad once you finish a hole from the basket. You wont find any over grown vegetation on the putting green and rarely any in the OB areas. Baskets are all in great shape and the pads were all level. Great improvements on ensuring there wasnt anymore lumps or possible trip areas on pads. Parking is never a problem, clubhouse has food, drinks for all ages, and plastic. All you need to make it in wrightwood. The bathroom is at the clubhouse, so there is one after every 9 holes, plus one near the end of hole 9 aswell. Views are stunning and the landscape is peaceful. Just great weather all the time with the occational winds to challenge you.
Cons: If your not used to playing in higher elevation the hike will tire you out quicker and bring more understable plastic. Lots of downhill and uphill shots. There is a price to play which might be seen as a negative, but worth the price to keep the course running smoothly. In the future add more benches. Need to bring back the practice basket. I would like to see the downstairs bathroom open aswell at the clubhouse. Also if possible open up hole 27A once a few objects get moved to avoid broken windows.
Other Thoughts: I just played this course for the annual tourney here and it was spectacular. I camped nearby with what felt like half of the individuals playing the tourney. The Pro shop did a great job of using the heavy machinary to clear some brush and make some of the long downhill walks much better. Im an older individual and this course can really take it out on your legs, but with the vast improvement in the trails and slopes, this place is top knotch.

Epic

5+    8/12/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: lion
Pros: 1. Strong mix of holes, over half the holes on the course have more then one position.
2. Nice fly 18 rubber tee pads with plenty of life and good grip
3. all holes are easy to navigate and the trails are well beat in from hole to hole.
4. I didnt encounter any fox tails or overgrown vegetation. Course was well manicured and kept up. No poison oak or tall grass. Course was put into championship standards.
5. No crossing fairways and plenty of mixed holes. Course provided a chance to use every shot in my bag.
6. New tee positions were nice on Hole 1 and hole 10. I notice that they change a few holes every year and it really keeps things interesting.
7. well positioned benches were nice on a few of the uphill walks, the rest of the course doesnt need benches since course is three 9 hole loops that meet in the parking lot, which gives you a chance to rest.
8. With an elevation at 7200-7400 its much cooler and has stunning views throughout. Nice sacrifice ledge after hole hole 12. Gives you a chance to throw a disc a mile and sacrifice one to the gods.
9. course has a good mix of elevation, the distance vary quiet a bit and it keeps the game interesting.
10. Clubhouse in the middle offers food and drinks, plus discs.
11. I was pleased to see plenty of trash cans throughtout the course and baskets have been rotated alot lately.
Cons: 1. I would like to see more hole placements in the future if possible.
2. Paying 7 dollars for a day there.
3. A few tee signs need to be replaced and updated.
Other Thoughts: The course was recently cleaned up and put into top form for a tourney there and I'm sure it will stay that way until it closes for the winter. My cons arent really cons at all. The 7 dollars is worth it, but most dont play more then a round because of the hiking involved. Wish it was open longer and if you do decide to come up there is camping within walking distance of the course by holes 7&8. Makes it super conveinent to play and camp for the weekend.

The Best Course in SoCal, Hands Down

1    8/4/2012   8/6/2012
Review By: rmcguire86
Pros: - Amazing use of seasonal property. Kudos to the guy who figured out that a ski run in the summer would make an excellent disc golf course.

- The layout is great. The front nine is loaded with monster holes, while more technical stuff is worked into the last 18. A great "top of the world" shot on hole 11. 18 is a great tunnel shot, and you'll be able to park it, but only if you hit the line exactly right.

- The course is challenging, but not difficult just for difficulty's sake, which is really nice. I was never frustrated, or felt that a hole was "cheap."

- Course really lets you mix your shots up. I was using my forehand almost as much as my back hand.

- The view is AWESOME. The course is 7500 feet up, and overlooks the desert. If there's no haze, you can see for miles.

- Joe, the guy running the place, is really cool. He'll give you a good run-down of the course layout. Be sure to grab a map if its your first time out.

- Camping nearby. Took the wife and the dog, had a wonderful weekend.
Cons: - The signs don't tell you which location the pin is at. A very minor complaint, but several of the holes are obscured or blind and some kind of marker would be nice.

-There is an unusual amount of trash on the course. Some of it looked disc golf related (i.e. beer bottles) but most of it looked like skier detrus. That being said, the guys who run the course probably can't do much more than they already have to solve this problem. There are trash cans at almost every tee pad, and the course is WAY too big and rugged to go out and collect trash. That's why this didn't factor into my rating very much.
Other Thoughts: This course is RUGGED. Make sure you wear hiking boots or other appropriate shoes. Bring water and sunscreen. Watch out for rattle snakes. Not a course you blow through in an hour or so. Take your time, enjoy the surroundings. This is definitely a destination type course.

For someone who plays at or slightly above sea level, the elevation was a shock for me. Discs fly completely differently when your 7500 feet up. Everything is more over stable and flies faster. It took me four holes or so to get used to the difference, but once I did it added another facet to my round.

Be careful with your shots. On some holes, if you miss your line you'll probably never see your disc again. I lost one while I was out there (Yellow Tee Devil, Hole 24) and found one as well. Not really a con, just a result of the awesomely designed course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4