5 Helpful / 1 Not
Nice park, average disc golf . . . bad baskets!!!!
Pros: 1) Course is set in a nice park and relatively removed from other activities. Only one walkpath infringes upon the course.
2) Course uses the best features of this park to make the course as good as it can be for this site.
3) Long opening hole followed by some mid distance holes and a really short technical hole and another mid distance hole to end it. I like the use of the space and distance making the real short hole set in the midst of like 5-6 really large mature trees forcing you to gun right at the basket or try and shape it around one of the trees.
4) Very beginner friendly course because it is mostly open and very flat.
5) Posts and distances on every hole are easily findable and the number plates on top of the baskets are helpful to a beginner to find where they are going (and apparently serve as a wastebasket also) .
6) Nice use of the trees in the park to force some thought about how to attack the baskets.
Cons: 1) Goose poop everywhere . . . what else can you expect it is right along the channel going between Lake Michigan and Green Bay . . . and there are lots of fishing boats going in and out of Sturgeon Bay so I am sure the gulls may also contribute to the poop problem.
2) Fairly wide open course with no elevation changes.
3) It is a quick play . . . too quick because it is 6 holes but I cannot rank the course badly because it is only 6 holes. If noone else was there (or if was the only course I was able to play) I would have invented some other holes to play more holesm or I would play it 3 times trying different lines everytime.
4) Baskets catch as poorly as I have ever seen. Hit the center post and you might bounce straight back at yourself. Hit the chains anywhere but center and it may slide to the side . . . hit it with any angle and it could very easily shoot right through the chains. I recommend a second row of chians to make those baskets much improved.
5) Tees are wore out down to dirt.
6) No wastebaskets on the course so everyone throws their stuff on top of the baskets into the ring around with the number on it.
Other Thoughts: I am not sure how this course gets a 1/2 disc rating overall . . . I think it is biased because it is only 6 holes (or maybe because the baskets catch so poorly), but who says you have to have 9 or 18 holes. Play the course a couple times, or play some gorilla golf instead to add to the holes. I am ranking this course on its own despite it being a 6 hole course. I think they did about the best they could in using the features of this park, except #4 is a little goofy with the sidewalk as the main fairway and the massive silver maples right in the middle of the fairway.
I may get some negative votes because of this review . . . but I really feel that the course is not bad at all. It is messy with poop but it has a nice layout using all of the trees in he park and the native woodland area as perfect obstacles on this course. The mature trees that come into play on #1, #4, #5 make you pick a line and the crabapples on #3 are a perfect obstacle on that hole, either throw under them or try and bring in a big hyzer spike over them. Being 50' short of the basket your goal is simply to get past them to have a shot at birdie. I also like the forced anhyzer (or sidearm) on #2 around the natural area.
5 of 6 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.