Nashville, TN

Fantastic Course

5+    11/10/2013   1/10/2014
Review By: BIGHAFNER
Pros: - Great teepads and signage
- Well used trees but no really stupid holes without a fairway
- Multiple pin positions
- Close to the interstate
- Obvious care goes into the course
- Amazing Views
- Different shots for almost every hole
- Varying distances from the 200' range to almost 600'
- No real wide open fairways, they all require good, accurate, and long shots.
Cons: The only bad thing I can think of about this course is that it is not beginner friendly. At all. This course is difficult. Most of us humans won't shoot in the 50's.
Other Thoughts: Difficulty is not a Con in my book. Just because its not an easy course doesn't mean that it deserves a 2.0 rating. This is truly one of the best courses in Tennessee and one of the best in the country.

I also have more Pro's but I can't think of them all.

Troll's Review

1    10/15/2013   10/17/2013
Review By: Eric troll Biscuits
Pros: 18 hole
Multiple placements
Well maintained
Great signs and easy to find tee's
benches at every tee
Great mix of holes, and use of the landscape
A super tall basket!
X factor tee box
Loads of technicality
Cons: nothing major to say....
No "disc fearing" holes
Or water hazards, and O.B.'s...
Other Thoughts: I know that some people(where I live) don't like the reviews I give.... Well, take a trip to Nashville. I compare courses to the whole world, not just my locality. Obviously, with Nashville's 3 to 4 different disc golf clubs, plethora of great courses... Its sad to say but Cincinnati is lacking behind

Worth the Trip

2-4    10/8/2012   11/19/2012
Review By: nyrblue2
Pros: Terrific 18 hole course winding through the wooded portion of a large county park.
- Wonderful setting for a course - off in a mostly, otherwise un-used portion of the park, with some great lines around and through large, mature cedars
- Only 1 tee per hole (on almost all holes), but as many as 5 basket locations that I assume get rotated/moved every once in a while - I think holes #9 and #10 may be the only one with 2 tee pads?
- Very descriptive tee signs showing distances to each pin location and a good map showing obstacles and flight paths - nut/washer system on pole to define current pin location - "next tee arrow" is on the sign
- Nice, used concrete tee pads on every hole - large, level and grippy
- Large variety of hole types - a few big open ones, some through heavily wooded areas, some up, some down, some left, some right - need to have a wide arsenal of shots prepared
- Mix of short and long holes keep things interesting
- Difficult, but fair - I don't remember any holes with seemingly impossible drive routes or obstacles - poor shots can/will get punished due to the trees throughout - good shots will be very rewarding with good looks at an approach or putt
- A few really awesome looking holes - #7 (downhill tunnel) is a beauty, #8 (drive is framed by 2 large trees acting as mandos I think), #5 (tiered, slight uphill through trees), etc.
- Cool elevated basket on #7 (or #8, depending on current layout?) that appears to be a memorial of sorts
- Not a high chance for lost discs, I feel - since most of the trees are cedars, there isn't much leaf cover and what is there is dead and trampled well (maybe on the big downhill #17 if you lose control and your drive gets too much hangtime and buries long or left)- no water holes - no real OB as far as I know (road nearby on #8, but not really in play)
- You can tell someone takes care of this course - a couple holes had noticable improvements, probably for erosion control, by using boards to create tiers/steps or some sort of buried mesh geo-fabric (hole 2 and 5 come to mind - maybe others)
- No trash that I saw
- No frills - honestly, there isn't too much specific explanation to say about this course as maybe expected for a high rating - the course is just really solid and makes great use of the natural terrain, even without water or OB
Cons: - No course map - this one is always a pet peeve of mine - for such a top-notch course, this should be a must - either online or at a kiosk/board at the start
- There are signs along the park road to guide you to the start of the course, but I missed the small one and spent 10 minutes looking the first time I went - Also, once you get to the parking, the actual location of the first tee isn't obvious - go around the locked parking gate and downed log to find it tucked behind the trees
- No "next tee" signs at the baskets (as far as I saw) - had to hunt a couple times (long basket 2 to tee 3 took a bit, I think) if I forgot to look at the tee sign
- Maybe it's just me, but I thought a couple of the tee sign maps were a bit off - the relative distance from tee to dogleg or tree or something didn't quite seem to match up with how it actually played (I think hole 6 in the short position didn't feel accurate)
Other Thoughts: - Seating and trash cans on some holes
- I don't think you really get back near your car until you're done with all 18
- Didn't encounter anyone in the way, but hole #17 has a pavillion somewhat near the tee, so there is a possibility for picnic-ers to wander onto the fairway

As I mentioned, as I sit here and think about it, the course is just really solid. It's a great design using the natural terrain and trees - good use of natural fairways and elevation changes. This course is definitely a must-play every time I'm in Nashville.

Best of all worlds

5+    7/28/2012   8/15/2012
Review By: SMontgomery
Pros: This course offers every variety of shot. I think for someone developing their game they can learn a lot coming to this course.
Cons: On the other side of my pro comments, someone learning or practicing can really find themselves frustrated by the difficulty at Cedar.

Not far from a 5

1    8/2/2012   8/3/2012
Review By: byebyebirdie
Pros: A beautiful 18 hole course with a variety of pin placements. 4 possible pin placements for almost every hole. One elevated basket can be played on 2 different holes. Excellent signage and the current pin in play is marked on each sign (a very nice feature). Trash cans & benches at every hole. Course is very clean and well kept and design has nice flow which requires a variety of shots.
Cons: Hard to find any cons here. Parking for the course is somewhat secluded so you might want to avoid leaving valuables in your car (especially on weekdays). Didn't see any restrooms or porta potties nearby. 1st hole is a little difficult to find (look for a yellow gate/barricade, first hole is behind this)
Other Thoughts: If you are in the Nashville area I highly recommend stopping to play this course. In my opinion this course is just missing that one "wow factor" or "signature hole" to merit a 5 rating. A very solid course designed on a beautiful mix of terrain. Each hole has different challenges and multiple ways to get to the pin.

One of the Best

2-4    6/9/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Disc Golf Dave
Pros: This is one of the best disc golf courses I have played. It has good length without being too much. The holes have wonderful variety, are fairly open so you can let them fly, is very challenging, and a beautiful course layout. I don't see how this course could ever get old.

Nashville's Best Course

5+    5/31/2012   5/31/2012
Review By: RustyStrings615
Pros: This is a top notch disc golf course. Beautiful, challenging, technical, very well-designed, great flow and focus..every hole feels like a Cedar Hill hole. Plays somewhat open but with woods all around you ..very well-defined fairways..not any lucky shots here. Long at times..there are a couple legitimate par 4's. Lots of great use of elevation...uphill, downhill...well, it is called Cedar HILL after all.
Cons: The Front Nine doesn't loop back to the parking lot. Controlled distance required but no open bomber holes for all you bombers. Hmmm...I'm honestly having a hard time finding cons for this course.

Cedar

1    1/29/2012   2/6/2012
Pros: 1) Cedar trees make for an awesome tree for disc golf courses. I love the foliage and the growth habit makes for a very prunable tree.

2) Very nice touches of landscape throughout the course. I noticed a few places where ornamental grasses were planted and framed with some small timbers. It doesn't affect play very much, but it does accent an area.

3) Overseeding was done in a few areas in the deep wooded areas. This shows the locals care and concern for this course. They could keep those baskets in more accessible areas in the off season, but they choose to do the extra work to allow those baskets to be used.

4) Nice basket marking system with a metal tapscrew and a colored washer with holes for each basket location on the pole and numbered.

5) Directionals are good and helpful as long as you know to keep your eye out for them. They are small arrows off to the sides of the fairways however when playing the long baskets some of those arrows and paths are a hundred feet or more backwards down the fairways.

6) Excellent distance variation on this course with holes in the 200, 300, 400, and 500' range. This is such a great design tool to force different shots and different shots. It also adds to the risk/reward because you have to choose how much you can safely bite off of a hole.

7) Concrete tees are always a positive, but some of the concrete went an extra step. It looked like a tar or adhesive with aggregate or course sand applied to the top. When it dried apparently the sand would stick to the adhesive and provided a great surface for the wintertime for sure.

8) Deer sighting is always an added bonus. I love feeling like I am out in nature completely even though you are never far from a road.

9) Heavy stone was used in high wear areas and also where apparently some washouts may be regular occurrences. This is better than mulch because it won't move away and it won't decompose.

10) Serious par 4's on this course and a lot of them. I love multiple shot holes and I love placement shots.

11) Nice signs with Hole #, a map, the basket marking system with a distance listed for every basket location.

12) Benches and garbage cans in multiple spots throughout the course . . . good for tournaments and good for people who want to go out and play all day.

13) Pretty clean course in terms of garbage.

14) This course is completely separated from any other activities in the park. It's always nice to be able to just throw away on every hole.

15) Excellent variety of holes with some fairly open holes with baskets tucked into the edge of the woods, plenty of holes in moderately wooded holes, and plenty of tight wooded holes too.

16) Elevation was slight on most holes, but there were a couple of pretty fun long drops (8 and 17) plus plenty of moderate elevation changes. Very few of the holes have no elevation change so it definitely comes through in needing to adjust your shot.

17) Lots different shots needed here. You need to work your disc all directions and you might need to make some throws that test your recovery shot making skills.
Cons: 1) There seem to be quite a few washout areas. Lots of area have also seen measures taken to reduce the washouts and erosion but there are still a few areas that probably formed pretty recently.

2) No number plates which is always helpful on new courses. While there aren't any baskets that would confuse you which hole you are throwing too, but I always like to see the number plate.

3) Long baskets create for a little goofy walk from time to time because the paths to the next holes are well back down the fairway on occasion.

4) No restrooms available on this course.

5) Not what I would call a beginner friendly course. . .perhaps by design so that the chuckers and beginners do not come out here, but I like to see all inclusive courses where anyone can play.

6) Baskets were in ok shape, but they have seen some wear over the years for sure.
Other Thoughts: This course took a few days to really grow on me, I really had a great time, but I just wasn't wowed initially. After a couple days I really started to realize how good of a course I had just played. I think my initial reaction was due to those mowed fairways amongst all the trees, but I am not 100% sure why I felt that way. It may have also been due to the fact that I had just come from playing Holler in the Hills a few days earlier.

Beauty and the Beast

1    9/7/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
Baskets are in good shape
Tee pads are in good shape
Benches
Trash Cans
Very well maintained course and very easy to find
Good signage
Very challenging course with a couple fun bomber holes
Huge variety of basket positions
Cons:
No restrooms/water that I could find
No map that I could find either, although not really an issue
Tips
Take water and use the restroom ahead of time
Do make sure you're throwing at the right basket if the baskets are in the long positions, particularly on #7.

Random Thoughts:
This is another loved course by the locals, and by that I mean, it's another one of the cleanest, well maintained courses I've ever seen which seems to be a pattern in Tennessee. It's conveniently located in a nice park with almost no cross traffic to speak of. It's a little tricky to find the first hole but if you use the tips on this site, you'll find it. As for the hole layout, there's a wide variety of shots here and I struggle to really review them because the baskets weren't in the long positions, oh no, they were in the 'screw you and the disc you rode in on' positions. Holy smokes some these holes were long. I'm talking throw it as far you can (and fairly precisely) and then throw it as far you can again (and even more precisely) and then maybe you'll be within putting range. Yowza! Must've been tournament time. Needless to say, I got my butt kicked by this course. And with no map, it made it a little more challenging to navigate, although the signage is fantastic. With all that said though, this is a beautiful course. Believe it or not, this was the very first time that I was walking around and noticing this green stuff constantly under my feet. What is that? It's grass! Holy smokes. Made the sport feel almost official and stuff. Loved it!

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic course! Yes, it's challenging. Yes, it may be border line unfair in a couple spots, but it's one the best maintained courses I've ever seen. It's beautifully laid out covering a lot of varied terrain. I completely understand why they hold tournaments here and why there is so much love for this course. Add my name to the list of admirers. Great job folks!

Great course near Nashville

1    9/27/2011   10/10/2011
Review By: brianlpowers
Pros: This was one of the better courses I've played. There were very clear directions for the holes/tees, and the course itself was in great shape (not too muddy, etc.)
Cons: None really that I remember.
Other Thoughts: If you live in or near Nashville - or if you're passing through - do yourself a favor and check this course out.

< Prev 1 2 3