Nashville, TN
Cedar Hill Park Share
Uploaded By: K_Woodcock Hole #7 (Taken 6/2011)

Cedar

1    1/29/2012   2/6/2012
Pros: 1) Cedar trees make for an awesome tree for disc golf courses. I love the foliage and the growth habit makes for a very prunable tree.

2) Very nice touches of landscape throughout the course. I noticed a few places where ornamental grasses were planted and framed with some small timbers. It doesn't affect play very much, but it does accent an area.

3) Overseeding was done in a few areas in the deep wooded areas. This shows the locals care and concern for this course. They could keep those baskets in more accessible areas in the off season, but they choose to do the extra work to allow those baskets to be used.

4) Nice basket marking system with a metal tapscrew and a colored washer with holes for each basket location on the pole and numbered.

5) Directionals are good and helpful as long as you know to keep your eye out for them. They are small arrows off to the sides of the fairways however when playing the long baskets some of those arrows and paths are a hundred feet or more backwards down the fairways.

6) Excellent distance variation on this course with holes in the 200, 300, 400, and 500' range. This is such a great design tool to force different shots and different shots. It also adds to the risk/reward because you have to choose how much you can safely bite off of a hole.

7) Concrete tees are always a positive, but some of the concrete went an extra step. It looked like a tar or adhesive with aggregate or course sand applied to the top. When it dried apparently the sand would stick to the adhesive and provided a great surface for the wintertime for sure.

8) Deer sighting is always an added bonus. I love feeling like I am out in nature completely even though you are never far from a road.

9) Heavy stone was used in high wear areas and also where apparently some washouts may be regular occurrences. This is better than mulch because it won't move away and it won't decompose.

10) Serious par 4's on this course and a lot of them. I love multiple shot holes and I love placement shots.

11) Nice signs with Hole #, a map, the basket marking system with a distance listed for every basket location.

12) Benches and garbage cans in multiple spots throughout the course . . . good for tournaments and good for people who want to go out and play all day.

13) Pretty clean course in terms of garbage.

14) This course is completely separated from any other activities in the park. It's always nice to be able to just throw away on every hole.

15) Excellent variety of holes with some fairly open holes with baskets tucked into the edge of the woods, plenty of holes in moderately wooded holes, and plenty of tight wooded holes too.

16) Elevation was slight on most holes, but there were a couple of pretty fun long drops (8 and 17) plus plenty of moderate elevation changes. Very few of the holes have no elevation change so it definitely comes through in needing to adjust your shot.

17) Lots different shots needed here. You need to work your disc all directions and you might need to make some throws that test your recovery shot making skills.
Cons: 1) There seem to be quite a few washout areas. Lots of area have also seen measures taken to reduce the washouts and erosion but there are still a few areas that probably formed pretty recently.

2) No number plates which is always helpful on new courses. While there aren't any baskets that would confuse you which hole you are throwing too, but I always like to see the number plate.

3) Long baskets create for a little goofy walk from time to time because the paths to the next holes are well back down the fairway on occasion.

4) No restrooms available on this course.

5) Not what I would call a beginner friendly course. . .perhaps by design so that the chuckers and beginners do not come out here, but I like to see all inclusive courses where anyone can play.

6) Baskets were in ok shape, but they have seen some wear over the years for sure.
Other Thoughts: This course took a few days to really grow on me, I really had a great time, but I just wasn't wowed initially. After a couple days I really started to realize how good of a course I had just played. I think my initial reaction was due to those mowed fairways amongst all the trees, but I am not 100% sure why I felt that way. It may have also been due to the fact that I had just come from playing Holler in the Hills a few days earlier.

Fun and Hard, What else do you need?

5+    12/28/2011   1/1/2012
Review By: Kbrent
Pros: Clean course, well marked, you can play on a windy day because the trees sheild the wind on most holes.
Cons: Gets muddy at times and stays soggy on 7, 8, and 10.
Other Thoughts: All around great course, Takes patients and the ability to forget about a bad throw.

Beauty and the Beast

1    9/7/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
Baskets are in good shape
Tee pads are in good shape
Benches
Trash Cans
Very well maintained course and very easy to find
Good signage
Very challenging course with a couple fun bomber holes
Huge variety of basket positions
Cons:
No restrooms/water that I could find
No map that I could find either, although not really an issue
Tips
Take water and use the restroom ahead of time
Do make sure you're throwing at the right basket if the baskets are in the long positions, particularly on #7.

Random Thoughts:
This is another loved course by the locals, and by that I mean, it's another one of the cleanest, well maintained courses I've ever seen which seems to be a pattern in Tennessee. It's conveniently located in a nice park with almost no cross traffic to speak of. It's a little tricky to find the first hole but if you use the tips on this site, you'll find it. As for the hole layout, there's a wide variety of shots here and I struggle to really review them because the baskets weren't in the long positions, oh no, they were in the 'screw you and the disc you rode in on' positions. Holy smokes some these holes were long. I'm talking throw it as far you can (and fairly precisely) and then throw it as far you can again (and even more precisely) and then maybe you'll be within putting range. Yowza! Must've been tournament time. Needless to say, I got my butt kicked by this course. And with no map, it made it a little more challenging to navigate, although the signage is fantastic. With all that said though, this is a beautiful course. Believe it or not, this was the very first time that I was walking around and noticing this green stuff constantly under my feet. What is that? It's grass! Holy smokes. Made the sport feel almost official and stuff. Loved it!

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic course! Yes, it's challenging. Yes, it may be border line unfair in a couple spots, but it's one the best maintained courses I've ever seen. It's beautifully laid out covering a lot of varied terrain. I completely understand why they hold tournaments here and why there is so much love for this course. Add my name to the list of admirers. Great job folks!

Great course near Nashville

1    9/27/2011   10/10/2011
Review By: brianlpowers
Pros: This was one of the better courses I've played. There were very clear directions for the holes/tees, and the course itself was in great shape (not too muddy, etc.)
Cons: None really that I remember.
Other Thoughts: If you live in or near Nashville - or if you're passing through - do yourself a favor and check this course out.

Well Established, Well Worn

1    9/30/2011   10/2/2011
Review By: ruzz2112
Pros: Well established and maintained reasonably. Set in a public park, look closely for the small brown posts directing to a handy parking lot.. Mostly wooded, lots of cedar with nice scenery, no pedestrians. Multiple pin locations, 3+ per hole. Signs at tees were about the best I've seen. Many narrow drives thru tree canopy are challenging. Starts and ends at the same parking lot.
Cons: Every course needs a map or at least overall layout billboard. A little worn out after all the years. I'm from out of town and she's had a lot of action. You could give a guy a break and put at least one pin in the forward location. Quite lenghtly and distant between some holes.
Other Thoughts: Lost disc on #17, long downhill and too much left break into the underbrush. Three people and two young German Sheppards couldn't even find it.

Kicked my Arse

1    9/28/2011   9/28/2011
Review By: boondock339
Pros: Lots of variables. Varied distances, varied obstacles, varied twists and turns. I prefer wooded courses where you have to "thread the needle", and this course has a lot of that. Everything was pretty well marked and signage was pretty solid; although, I did have to go back to the tee on #15 to figure out where tee #16 was (across the road, duh!).
Cons: It's kind of in a sketchy area. I am definitely not going to have anything valuable in my car next time I play.
Some people like the cedar trees for their ambience, but those things will eat your discs.
Other Thoughts: This was my virgin voyage at Cedar Hill, and I gotta say....this course is challenging! I have been in Nashville for over 3 years and never played here. I have no idea why, but I will be back for sure. This is the kind of course that will make you a better player. I have to admit I got a little discouraged on the first two holes because of the long drives(second one was 508), but then the course mellowed out after that. (except for #15(630+ feet....are you kidding me?).
I think that #13 needs one less tree in the fairway. I just think it's an impossible drive the way it is currently set up. A cedar tree ate my disc, which I was luckily able to retrieve it. Apparently I'm not the only one trying to lose discs on this hole. I found a BRAND NEW Wraith(Star-Ken Climo). Price tag was still intact, so I'm guessing a newbie left it. PEOPLE, please put your name and number on your discs if you want them returned to you. I always call if I find a disc, but this one had no number(finders keepers!).
In conclusion, if you are looking to take it easy then I would avoid this course. If your game is tight and you have been killing it on all the other courses in the area, then by all means go to Cedar Hill. It will make you feel like a beginner.

Awesome Course

2-4    8/2/2011   8/3/2011
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: If you enjoy challenging courses with valid fairways in beautiful natural settings, you will love this course. Each hole has a defined fairway (no luck trees), many of which are grassy and tree-lined. Beautiful setting in a mix of woods and open land. The park is big enough that the course has its own area, so there are no worries about interfering with other park users. Awesome starting holes (1 & 2) and finishing holes with huge downhill hucks on 17 & 18.
Cons: Not very many at all ...
When I played, most of the holes were set in long positions and more than a few of the holes were "tweeners" ... difficult to impossible to birdie even for pro level players, but easy to par.
Could use more multi-shot holes -- there were a few that definitely played as par 4's, but with so much land available it would be great to see more tough par 4's and 5's.
Other Thoughts: Great course that I could play repeatedly and not get tired of. The course is very well maintained with mulch and retaining walls around the pins on nearly every hole. I played with nearly every pin set in long position, at which point you are playing for par on most holes, not to score. The long configuration would not be very beginner friendly, but even raw beginners would have a good time because the natural setting is so enjoyable. The short pins looked pretty easy for the most part. I'd put this on a must play list if you are anywhere near Nashville.

Tough and challenging

1    7/2/2011   7/3/2011
Review By: KickMuttButt
Pros: One of the best courses I've ever played. The park is beautiful with the DG course having all the room it needs to be a championship caliber course. Kudos to the local disc golf community that helps take care of it. Great mix of holes in a very scenic elevation-changing environment. There are long blaster holes in the open and in the woods. Others have described the multiple pin positions with the red washer indicators - simplistic but highly effective. These tee signs were amazing because of the accuracy. I had no trouble understanding where to put my shot even if I could not see the basket. This is so key when you play a course for the first time. Most every hole was in the long position when I played.
Cons: With all that land - can you put in another 9 holes for my next trip to NashVegas? The only trouble I had was finding #16 after #15. 1 hole (#10?) had to cross a fairway of the previous hole. Not sure what they do during tournament play.
Other Thoughts: Awesome course. This is the 1 to play if you are in the area and have time for only 1 round.

Cedar Thrill

1    1/1/2011   6/6/2011
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
Design
*Terrain- I absolutely love the cedar trees, the manicured grass, and the overall vibe of the terrain here! The course plays in a secluded part of the park dedicated to disc golf. There's a good mix of tight wooded fairways that require accuracy and some more open shots to let it rip. The terrain, especially the cedars, remind me of one of my Top Favorite courses-- Seneca Creek in MD.
*Multiple basket layouts- holes have up to 6 basket positions making for a great variety of layouts. The lengths and fairway shapes vary quite a bit for each layout. The day I played there were a mix of A, B, C, and D positions. There's a great mix of left, right, straight, and S shape fairways.
*Challenge- the length combined with tight fairways made it a challenging course and that always improves your game. The mixed layout I played was probably Blue level, with some legitimate par 4s.
*Elevation changes- moderate to big elevation changes on almost every hole. 2 Flat/ 9 Up/ 7 Down
*Length variety- long, but many different hole lengths. The mixed layout I played had 5<299/ 5 of 300-399/ 6 of 400-499/ 2 > 500 (510 and 590)

Basics
*Tee signs- great maps with every basket position marked.
*Navigation- the course flows well, "next tee" markers on the tee signs, and little signs along the way make it very easy to navigate.
*Tees- concrete and good size

Amenities
*Marker for current basket position- a red screw and bolt system tells which layout the basket is in.
Cons:
Not very much at all...
-Score card: I'd like to see a score card with the length of every basket position so that I can see how they all compare
-2nd set of tees: there's only one set of tees, so if they installed another set of tees that would add even more variety and cater to even more players.
-A course map would be nice.
This is a great course all around, and I'd drive at least 100 miles to play here! If you're anywhere in the vicinity don't miss it. Cedar Hill is now in my Top Favorites and I'd play the course again in a heartbeat. With all the variety you could probably play it every week and never get bored. This is one of those courses that you don't want to miss!
-------------------------------------------------
I'm always trying to improve my reviews, so if you mark this review unhelpful or you find a mistake, please send me a personal message here on DGCR to tell me what is wrong with it. I'll be grateful for the feedback.

Pretty good course

5+    6/1/2011   6/4/2011
Review By: K_Woodcock
Pros: Very shaded and lots of different style shots. If your disc goes way off course you can usually find it.
Cons: Very Hilly and usually muddy. Way to many cedar trees.
Other Thoughts: This is a very fun course but does not make my favorite list just because I feel it could of been setup a little different, and better possibly.