Nashville, TN

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hill Yeah!

1    8/16/2016   8/24/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Cedar Hill Park is a wonderful disc golf course. The layout is fairly easy to follow, concrete tees, signs and baskets are adequate. There are numerous basket placements on each hole. The fairways are clearly discernible, with plenty of trees and a good elevation change. If you like a challenge you will find it here. Plenty of chances to mark a 2 on the scorecard, and several where a 4 or 5 may be much more likely. Holes 7 and 10 were my favorites, similar holes that are long and downhill with tree lines lanes running to the bottom. 12 and 18 were also some monsters with the pins in the longer layouts. I banged out birdies on holes 4, 11, and 16. Also had four 5's on the card, and hole 16 got me with a 6. Would love to come back and try for better.
Cons: Par 3 on every hole is not realistic with the pin locations I played. Six of the holes were 450' and longer. It is tough sometimes to guess where you are throwing if you're unfamiliar with the course. Saw a bit of litter, but the course was fairly well kept overall.
Other Thoughts: I played 45 holes in Illinois and Kentucky before rolling into Nashville, and wasn't playing my best. Wound up with a 66 (+12), and still felt pretty good about it. I am sure I could shave a few strokes off of that with a few reps. Great mix of difficulty and fun. Give it a shot if you can, definitely a good time.

1    3/19/2016   3/19/2016
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: Most readers of this review probably won't have the same course overlap, but the most similar course I've played to Nashville's Cedar Hill is Austin's Circle C. They're both long, extremely challenging, forcing you to make all kinds of different throws. The short, scrubby trees reminded me of Circle C too. The other similarly on the con side is that both are older, beat in courses that have seen better days in terms of upkeep. They both are fighting a battle with erosion. There are logs and gravel paths to try to stem fairway erosion, and it seems to be working, to some extent.

1. Very challenging. Distance required, but also finesse and accuracy. Several death puts, including an elevated basket and some on hills and ridges with bad roll-aways. There are tunnels, steep uphills, downhills, long par 3's and 4's. This course has it all, including multiple pin placements (2 to 6 per hole). I imagine the locals never get tired of this course. It's a monster -- and super fun to play.

2. Awesome shot variety.

3. Big elevation element.

4. Multiple pin placements.

5. Good tee pads.

6. Navigation is easy.

7. Benches at many holes, good signage at all holes.
Cons: 1. Upkeep isn't great. There's trash in several areas. It's also not the most picturesque course.

2. The multiple pins are nice, but it's a little overwhelming. Six pin locations on s hole seems a little much.

3. I wish the baskets were newer and more visible from the tee. There's no yellow/orange/pink band on the basket and they blend in to the trees and terrain. I had to walk up several fairways to see what I was throwing to.
Other Thoughts: Awesome course. If you get a chance to play this one in Nashville and Circle C in Austin, see if my comparison is accurate. Both are great courses that I highly recommend.

Relentless yet rewarding

5+    3/15/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: tampabay
This review was updated on 9/3/2014
Pros: -Type of course: This course really is a good balance forcing you to hit general lines as well as navigating the woods. Holes (2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 11) I would consider to be wooded. Holes (1, 7, 12) I would say have tight fairways and you get punished for not hitting your gaps. There aren't really any "long bomb" holes on this course but there are some holes that reward having 400+ feet of power. Hole 17 is downhill and gives you some room to put something behind your shot.

-Pin Placements: I feel that I should start with this. Most holes have multiple pin positions and the change in pin could make a hole an easy two or a brutal 4. The perfect example is hole 2. I love courses with multiple pin positions because it allows a local course to mix it up and keep it fun for regulars. It also allows them to really change the feel and the difficulty of the course. Hole 2 is the perfect example. I love multiple pin positions and with how great the terrain is at Cedar Hill I'm glad they are making use of it

-Shot variety: Regardless of the pin positions, I think this course is so well balanced. Some of the more challenging holes give you options for a FH or a BH as well as forcing you to throw uphill, downhill, straight, and dogleg right/left. I think this course does a great job of forces you to have multiple varieties of shots in your arsenal. I love the change of pace. From the last time I was there it played (1, 3*, 6, 7*, 15*, 18*)- finished right, (4, 8, 12*, 13)- finished left and the other 8 had crooked fairways or opened up and gave you choices. * denotes elevation coming into play.

-Elevation: I love the elevation on this course. Hole 7 is one of my favorite holes that I've ever seen, in the longs its a 400' tunnel shot downhill then another 200' to the basket. It's beautiful, and the elevation on this course can be so challenging. Hole 15, 16, 17, and 18 have significant elevation. I think they use the elevation for really stretching your shot selection. The elevation is also a ton of fun on this course. It never feels gimmicky, even 17 which is the "downhill open" hole has a pretty tight fairway.

-Scenery: This course looks beautiful. It really does feel like a true Nashville course because of the looks. Very wooded, yet there are some open holes. Truly a beautiful course to play. Hole 7 has one of my favorite views off the tee that I've seen to date.

-Multifaceted difficulty: This course challenges a lot of aspects of your game. I've played wooded courses, long courses, water courses, you name it. This course felt like it was just difficult because it was designed well. All of the fairways feel like true fairways, there aren't any where you just huck your disc and hope it gets through. This course is grueling and you will probably feel pretty exhausted by the end. When the pins are all in the longs/hards it is such an adventure. No matter how exhausting I feel so satisfied with a birdie, or even a par at Cedar Hill.

-Uniqueness: Something about this course just sticks out. The holes feel so unique. I can't necessarily attribute it to one thing. Hole 2 at the longs is a 500' hole shaped like a backwards ? mark. The woods are tight enough that you need to pay attention, but loose enough that a well placed shot can net you a 3. The elevation on this course combined with the difficulty stops Cedar Hill from ever feeling like it has a filler hole or a gimmick. This course is awesome.
Cons: -Mud. This course does not drain well, it gets really muddy and that combined with the elevation makes it a little dicey when it's wet out.

-Course flow. Some of the holes are a little confusing, 7,9,10 in particular can be really tricky as well as 11/15, and 5/13. There are some shared baskets, where the pin for 7a could also be the pin for 10b (not at the same time). I can imagine as someone traveling those holes could be confusing. After hole 15 you have to cross the street without any real indication as to where to go.

-No open hole. This is more preference than anything, but I really like for a course to have at least one hole that is mostly open that rewards people with a little more distance. Even the open holes here have mandos/trees.
Other Thoughts: -This is a difficult course. I would not bring a beginner here.

-Great course. I have to give it a 4. I think Cedar Hill has a layout that I would rate a 4.5 but I also know they have a layout that I would give a 3.5. So I have to leave it at a 4. Best course in Nashville in my opinion.

Favorite course in Nashville

5+    2/28/2014   3/3/2014
Review By: Declarkus
Pros: I love the variety. Upshots, downshots, and turns requires your whole bag.
Well maintained.
Rarely crowded.
Move baskets often
Cons: Limited benches. Maybe 2 trash cans (which I honestly don't care about)
The bottom of #7 gets muddy
Don't back in!!
Other Thoughts: This is the best course in Nashville. Plain and simple. Challenging shouldn't be a con. Its my favorite part. It humbles me, but when I score well, it feels way better then on a wide open flat course.

Gets Better Every Time

5+    1/15/2014   1/28/2014
Review By: ALPO
Pros: This is a city owned park but all the maintenance and labor is done by a remarkable course crew. There are constant improvements in areas such as: walking paths, erosion control, fairway maintenance, benches and signs etc. CH has all the amenities one looks for in a good disc golf course -- concrete tee pads, trash cans, benches, practice basket, good tee signs. You can tell right away that this is a lot more than just baskets and concrete dropped in and neglected since course installation. Cedar Hill is constantly evolving and slightly better every time you play it.

Where a prestigious ball golf course stands out due to excellent scenery, landscaping and greens, an outstanding disc golf course needs to rely much more on trees and elevation to craft fairways that reward good shots and provide excitement -- and it helps to have some scenic views (hole 17) and beautiful putting greens (hole 2). Cedar Hill nails this. Fairways are well defined and challenging but not unfair. Holes range from densely wooded to moderately wooded, however several holes are 'open' enough to reach for max D -- but you will need to exercise some control.

The greatest attribute of Cedar Hill is the varying pin placements. This will obviously be lost on you if you only play the course once a year or less, but it is what makes this course elite. Pin placements at Cedar Hill can change the entire experience. I personally have not played a more versatile course. Most holes have three pin placements, several have a 4th and 5th as well. Various layouts could theoretically alter average scores by upwards of ten strokes. Adding difficulty is not necessarily what makes them exciting though, instead it is the ability to make a hole left to right, right to left, or dead straight, etc.
Cons: I think casual players and newcomers may struggle with Cedar Hill's more challenging holes. I don't see this as a con, but judging by some unfavorable reviews it would seem that perhaps not all skill levels will get the same enjoyment out of this course.

If your distance is in the 300-350 range and you don't have a several shots in your repertoire (i.e. turnovers, flicks, tomahawks, etc) you may get frustrated with some of the longer more challenging holes. For instance holes 1, 2, and 7 require excellent placements shots just to be in position to think about getting a 3. Many can and do argue these are par 4's or 5's but that is a different topic.
Other Thoughts: The mix of holes means you can pretty much be as creative as you want from the tee pad. Play the fairways, go over the top, or throw rollers, you will have options. A varied mix of elevation throughout the entire course, an elevated basket that can play on 7 or 10, amazing downhill bomb on hole 17, the most serene putting green you may ever come across on hole 2; these are just a few of the qualities that make Cedar Hill worth your time.

If you are coming to play in Nashville this is a must stop. If you live in Nashville and want to get better at disc golf, then make sure you play Cedar regularly and don't shy away from its challenges. I can assure you, there is nothing more rewarding then mastering this course -- or so I've been told I still can't get under par.

Fantastic Course

5+    11/10/2013   1/10/2014
Pros: - Great teepads and signage
- Well used trees but no really stupid holes without a fairway
- Multiple pin positions
- Close to the interstate
- Obvious care goes into the course
- Amazing Views
- Different shots for almost every hole
- Varying distances from the 200' range to almost 600'
- No real wide open fairways, they all require good, accurate, and long shots.
Cons: The only bad thing I can think of about this course is that it is not beginner friendly. At all. This course is difficult. Most of us humans won't shoot in the 50's.
Other Thoughts: Difficulty is not a Con in my book. Just because its not an easy course doesn't mean that it deserves a 2.0 rating. This is truly one of the best courses in Tennessee and one of the best in the country.

I also have more Pro's but I can't think of them all.

Troll's Review

1    10/15/2013   10/17/2013
Review By: Eric troll Biscuits
Pros: 18 hole
Multiple placements
Well maintained
Great signs and easy to find tee's
benches at every tee
Great mix of holes, and use of the landscape
A super tall basket!
X factor tee box
Loads of technicality
Cons: nothing major to say....
No "disc fearing" holes
Or water hazards, and O.B.'s...
Other Thoughts: I know that some people(where I live) don't like the reviews I give.... Well, take a trip to Nashville. I compare courses to the whole world, not just my locality. Obviously, with Nashville's 3 to 4 different disc golf clubs, plethora of great courses... Its sad to say but Cincinnati is lacking behind

Top Notch!

1    2/4/2013   2/4/2013
Review By: Dirt4dinner
Pros: A little bit of everything, and big rewards for a well placed drive, and a nice slap on the wrist if you get a little wild with a shot.
Cons: A little muddy today and some worn out tee pads.
Other Thoughts: Terrific course all in all. It's a different shot on almost every hole, with very few that feel the same. I enjoyed the mix of short, long, tight, open, left and rights. It just had everything!

Mud Bucket

2-4    1/11/2013   1/11/2013
Review By: WillAnderson
This review was updated on 1/14/2013
Pros: Challenging for all levels & RH/LH players. The changes in elevation cause the wooded holes to be a lot harder, but if you hit your line, you'll be in good shape. The downhill shots are exciting...if you hit your line. In the Summer, the trees provide great shade. Decent tee pads & well marked signage (for most holes) helps plan & execute.
Cons: My main beef with this course besides its poor erosion control, is that it's frustrating to play. The downhill shots have trees midway that block you from trying monster drives bc you'd have to be extremely lucky. I prefer themed holes instead of plain nasty obstacles on top of obstacles. Throwing an uphill shot through a narrow set of trees to find a basket guarded by pine trees is ridiculous. I can understand a guarded basket, uphill shot, or a narrow fairway, but all together? Why even cut down trees? You may as well say, roll it through & name it Plinko. The soil doesn't perk well. If it has rained within the last couple of days, prepare to go on slip-n-slides between holes. I only remember 2 trash bins on the entire course. The design of the course is unforgiving so prepare to have a great shot or a poor in-between. The baskets & benches are shoddy at best.
Other Thoughts: Bring a trash bag with you instead of a towel. Download an app or pay close attention to the signs because the baskets are confusing, & it's difficult to navigate between holes. On several holes, it's hard to find the next tee pad. Some tee pads don't have signs. Baskets don't have numbers designating which hole they belong to. In a field 5+ baskets for 3 different holes converge w/o a way to tell which to throw to (#7-#11).

Worth the Trip

2-4    10/8/2012   11/19/2012
Review By: nyrblue2
Pros: Terrific 18 hole course winding through the wooded portion of a large county park.
- Wonderful setting for a course - off in a mostly, otherwise un-used portion of the park, with some great lines around and through large, mature cedars
- Only 1 tee per hole (on almost all holes), but as many as 5 basket locations that I assume get rotated/moved every once in a while - I think holes #9 and #10 may be the only one with 2 tee pads?
- Very descriptive tee signs showing distances to each pin location and a good map showing obstacles and flight paths - nut/washer system on pole to define current pin location - "next tee arrow" is on the sign
- Nice, used concrete tee pads on every hole - large, level and grippy
- Large variety of hole types - a few big open ones, some through heavily wooded areas, some up, some down, some left, some right - need to have a wide arsenal of shots prepared
- Mix of short and long holes keep things interesting
- Difficult, but fair - I don't remember any holes with seemingly impossible drive routes or obstacles - poor shots can/will get punished due to the trees throughout - good shots will be very rewarding with good looks at an approach or putt
- A few really awesome looking holes - #7 (downhill tunnel) is a beauty, #8 (drive is framed by 2 large trees acting as mandos I think), #5 (tiered, slight uphill through trees), etc.
- Cool elevated basket on #7 (or #8, depending on current layout?) that appears to be a memorial of sorts
- Not a high chance for lost discs, I feel - since most of the trees are cedars, there isn't much leaf cover and what is there is dead and trampled well (maybe on the big downhill #17 if you lose control and your drive gets too much hangtime and buries long or left)- no water holes - no real OB as far as I know (road nearby on #8, but not really in play)
- You can tell someone takes care of this course - a couple holes had noticable improvements, probably for erosion control, by using boards to create tiers/steps or some sort of buried mesh geo-fabric (hole 2 and 5 come to mind - maybe others)
- No trash that I saw
- No frills - honestly, there isn't too much specific explanation to say about this course as maybe expected for a high rating - the course is just really solid and makes great use of the natural terrain, even without water or OB
Cons: - No course map - this one is always a pet peeve of mine - for such a top-notch course, this should be a must - either online or at a kiosk/board at the start
- There are signs along the park road to guide you to the start of the course, but I missed the small one and spent 10 minutes looking the first time I went - Also, once you get to the parking, the actual location of the first tee isn't obvious - go around the locked parking gate and downed log to find it tucked behind the trees
- No "next tee" signs at the baskets (as far as I saw) - had to hunt a couple times (long basket 2 to tee 3 took a bit, I think) if I forgot to look at the tee sign
- Maybe it's just me, but I thought a couple of the tee sign maps were a bit off - the relative distance from tee to dogleg or tree or something didn't quite seem to match up with how it actually played (I think hole 6 in the short position didn't feel accurate)
Other Thoughts: - Seating and trash cans on some holes
- I don't think you really get back near your car until you're done with all 18
- Didn't encounter anyone in the way, but hole #17 has a pavillion somewhat near the tee, so there is a possibility for picnic-ers to wander onto the fairway

As I mentioned, as I sit here and think about it, the course is just really solid. It's a great design using the natural terrain and trees - good use of natural fairways and elevation changes. This course is definitely a must-play every time I'm in Nashville.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7