Nashville, TN
Cedar Hill Park Share

This is what disc golf is about!

1    7/14/2010   7/23/2010
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: Very very enjoyable course. Teepads were good. Signs were adequate. This course has more alternate pin placements than any course I've ever seen. I think every hole may have had 3 or more possible pin placements, some as many as 6! I don't know how often the baskets are moved, but wow this could be like playing a different course every time you go! There were holes on the signposts marked A, B, C, etc, with a washer on whatever placement the basket was supposed to be that day. We found that the marked placements weren't always accurate on the day we played, but it's a good concept nonetheless and was appreciated.

Nice variety of holes, it never felt like you were playing the same hole over and over. Good use of elevation. Aesthetically, the course is very pleasing to the eye. It was clean, and there are cedar logs placed on the ground in a number of places that made a sort of terraced effect. I've never seen anything else like that on a course. Lots of benches. I think every hole had mulch around the basket which is a clear indicator that there are people taking care of this course. I've played enough courses that seem to have been forgotten about, that it really makes me appreciate the ones that get taken care of.
Cons: I have to get nitpicky in order to come up with anything negative about this course. My biggest gripe would be the lack of any sort of warmup area. No place to practice driving or putting except hole 1. You don't circle back to the parking lot until you play all 18, so if you are the type that likes to take a pit stop after 9, you won't be able to.

A few alternate teepads for Ams would make this course more beginner-friendly, but honestly I'm not sure that the locals would even want it to be so. I get the feeling that this is the "big boy" course in Nashville, and that beginners are free to play one of the easier courses nearby.
Other Thoughts: This is my kind of course right here. The fairways are "not too hot, not too cold" if I might make a Goldilocks reference. I'm not a big fan of 200 foot holes with 50 trees in the middle of the fairway to weave your way through. You'll find none of those holes here. Nor will you find many wide-open fairways where you can shank a drive way right or left and get away with it. These fairways are just right. Well-defined and wide enough to stay on with a decent drive, while simultaneously not requiring Ken Climo accuracy to avoid the rough.

I'm already trying to figure out when I can get back down to Nashville to play this one again.

Nashville's Best

1    7/3/2009   6/22/2010
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: Fun course that offers a good challenge - Cedar Hill is situated in a beautiful park and the course makes good use of the land. Holes 1 and 2 are great opening holes, with number two being a sweet hole that finishes in a neat basket near a creek. While the creek didn't have water when we played, it was cool nonetheless. Holes 17 and 18 are really neat finishing holes - the distance on the site for 18 says 365, but it was in the longer pin and was at least 150 longer. I always appreciate a course with two good finishing holes because its the last thing you remember about the course. Hole 10 is a sweet, downhill hole over 550 feet. The hole dives downhill through a tight gap and then ends out in a field. The course has multiple pin placements (A,B,C) and the best thing about the pin placements is the marker system the course employs (and the rest of the courses in the Nashville area employ) - on each tee there is a marker next to the pin placement indicating where the pin is located. This allows for some awesome variation in the holes - the course could be in the mid 4000's and could be in the mid 7000's. I would definitely advise playing this course (and Crockett Park and Seven Oaks) if you are in the Nashville area.
Cons: There's not a lot wrong with this course - however, there's nothing with an 'excellent' rating. Holes 3 through 5 seemed to be a little short and seemed like filler holes, but there's nothing wrong with a variety. Another possible con could be the lack of signature holes. While holes 1 and 2 and 17 and 18 were good holes. those are probably remembered more because they are the first two and last two holes on the course. As a side note, the group I was playing with was a little confused as to the other activities going on in the park. I won't express it on this review, but it seemed the park was a 'gathering' place for people and it made someone in the group uncomfortable (if you need to know, PM me).
Other Thoughts: Overall, a fun course that would be challenging from the C pins (that's what we played that day) and pretty easy from the short pins. I do love the fact that these Nashville courses offer the alternate pin options, and they aren't just alternate pins thrown in after the fact. While nothing really stands out as "awesome" about this course, it was definitely a fun course with a good challenge from the long pins.

Best course in Nashville

5+    4/11/2010   4/12/2010
Review By: vibe
This review was updated on 3/3/2011
Pros: The course is a balanced variety of open, wooded, uphill, downhill & flat.

There is something to challenge every skill level.
There are benches and trash bins at almost every hole on the back 9, and every couple on the front 9.

Several short, 2 long uphill in tight tree lined fairways. A couple long, straight, flat holes. A couple short holes with a loop to one side or the other.
A couple of long downhill holes with great alternate target placements.
Cons: Difficult to just play 9 and get back to the parking area.
(not necessarily a bad thing)

#8 is close to a busy road, can be hazardous to disc health with an errant throw.

After a heavy (or even light) rain, it is very muddy, especially on #7.
Other Thoughts: Love this course. By far the most interesting and my favorite in town.

5+    3/6/2010   3/17/2010
Review By: peglegholly
This review was updated on 3/30/2010
Pros: Holes vary between open and wooded.
Elevated holes
Rewarding shots
Various pins that are changed up consistently throughout the seasons
Cons: Sometimes a little congested
One specific hole (17, I think...) is located right next to a public pavillion. Have had problems with non-disc players standing on the fairway not knowing they were in the way. Ended up skipping the hole the few times this has happened. Can be muddy in places.
Other Thoughts: Plenty of seating and garbage disposal at the pins. Beware the cedar trees... I've climbed up a few to retrieve some discs.

Just have fun

2-4    2/20/2010   2/21/2010
Review By: peabody
Pros: If you play one course while visiting Nashville, you must come try this one. Only come with having fun in your mind cause if you aren't having fun you are probably having a very bad day. This course is brutal in so many ways. Not just the length of some of the holes, but the placement of shots you need to get to the pin.
Picture perfect holes with mostly open fairways to let the disc work make for an experience you won't soon forget. Take hole #2 for instance. It's a long -S- with a dogleg right at the end. I triple bogied this thing both times I played it.
Each and every hole has something different to offer. Great variety of shots that will have you using most of the discs in your bag and make you wish you had more in there.
Plenty of parking and close to food and gas stations. Easy to find and access from 24 or 65.

Cons: No bathrooms. Some of the holes were a little hard to find but we never looked for more than a minute or two before we found our way.
Hole #10 off of the tee, was throwing across hole #9's fairway. Some mud but hey, it's winter going into spring.
Oh yea, there were Cedar Trees everywhere:)
Other Thoughts: Beginer or Intermediate players won't make par here very often, but playing this course will make you a better disc golfer for sure. I wish I lived near this course.
Advanced will love this course. So many neat and varied shots with lots of pin placements.
I shot a 25 over first round,and improved to 14 up on the second round. I was proud of that and had a great time regardless of being over par.
Ace run holes are here but you need to be able to throw 300 feet or more to have a good chance.

Fun hilly course

1    5/8/2009   2/2/2010
Review By: mashnut
This review was updated on 7/8/2010
Pros: The course is set in a hilly park with lots of trees and brush. The course has it's own property, so there was no interference from any other park users. There was elevation used on most of the holes, which to me makes a course a lot more fun, especially when used well to really give a variety as was done here. There are a few great downhill shots which are always some of the most fun holes to play.

Many of the fairways were lined with cedar trees or other brush to really punish shots that went off line. None were so narrow that they seemed ridiculous, but they were tight enough to really make you work to keep it on the fairways. There was a fun mix of early and late trouble, making every shot count here. I liked the balance of different fairway shapes, it didn't seem repetitive or monotonous in the configuration I played.

There are decent concrete tee pads, and the baskets are in pretty good shape. There are multiple pin positions on every hole, and they looked like they would totally change up the course, both in distances and in types of shots on many holes. The current placement was marked on the sign post, which is always really nice when there are multiple positions, you didn't have to scout ahead just to see where the basket was.
Cons: There were a couple tricky spots in terms of navigation, where it wasn't obvious where the next tee was, but none that really made it a chore to follow the course. There were a few places where the course is pretty close to the road, which takes away from the natural feel that helps make the rest of the course so nice.

The tee pads were very slick, even with only a little moisture on them. They just didn't seem to have a good grippy finish on them, which made them a little dangerous to take a real run up on.
Other Thoughts: This isn't a very beginner friendly course. It is pretty tough, a long hilly walk that didn't really loop back to the parking lot, and lots of places to lose discs or end up stuck in the schule. It's a great place for more experienced players looking for a challenge, with lots of different shots required if you want to score well and stay out of the rough.

This was my favorite of the courses I played in Nashville, and definitely one you should stop by and play if you're in the area. Be prepared for a good hike and a tough course, and you'll probably enjoy it.

Trek in the woods.

1    12/15/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: lschrock
This review was updated on 2/13/2010
Pros: This course brings out the best and worst of your game. I could foresee some phenomenal players coming out of this area just because of this course. It has every an opportunity for every kind of shot. Really impressive distance on the course, good elevation change without being overly fatiguing. Nice tee pads, long when they should be. The course was all par 3's, though a couple of holes could have been 4's. It seemed like there were sufficient benches, but I was playing solo, so I couldn't say for sure. 3-5 pin placements per hole, I'm not sure how much they vary them. Great scenery, tons of trees (including cedars). There is a lot of chopped cedar pieces lining the paths too, a really nice touch.
Cons: I've seen a lot nicer signs, these were all metal but did the job. I couldn't put my finger on it, but there is something about the course that I didn't like on the layout. Some of the pin placements were tough to navigate, because you couldn't see them. I think if I'd played the course a couple of times and new exactly where to throw it, I would have enjoyed it a lot more. It was a little muddy when I played, but it had just rained. No water holes.
Other Thoughts: Beware, those who throw tomahawk/thumber only players, this course will swallow you whole. Some locals I talked to said that this course was the best in the area. This course will really test your game. It's one of the most difficult I've played yet.

5+    11/17/2009   11/17/2009
Review By: msudog_
Pros: Lots of variety at this course. I would say this course balances woods and open shots very well. Trees come into play on every hole, but the fairway is usually fairly wide. Every hole has a well defined fairway that anyone can stay in. I don't feel like any fairways are too tight for me.

I definitely use every shot at this course. Great mix up of dogleg rights and lefts. There are several places to go up and over the trees, and then there are places where you have to stay low and straight.

I usually play in the mornings, but the few times I have played in the afternoon the course wasn't crowded.

It's actually a very clean course. I hardly ever see trash on the course.

Excellent and accurate signs.
Cons: Some of the rough is brutal and a few more benches would be nice.

Like others have stated, probably not a beginners course because of the woods and there are no holes where you can crush a drive and not worry about where it lands.
Other Thoughts: This is the best course in Nashville. Every hole makes sense and there are no holes with random trees that you simply hope to get through.

If you want a course that is very beginner friendly, try Two Rivers.

2-4    8/22/2009   9/6/2009
Review By: The Drake
This review was updated on 7/1/2010
Pros: This is one of the best designed courses I've ever played. It gives you the feeling on every hole that you're playing somewhere completely different. While maintaining the same character of the course on every hole it honestly can feel like you're playing a different course on every hole. There's a great mix so you won't get bored throwing the same shot for 18 holes. The fairways are obvious and open, rewarding good shots. To test your abilities the fairways are lined with thick, tough rough that will definitely punish bad shots. There is also a nice mix of distance to keep the course playable for ams yet allows big arms to unload off the tee.
Cons: I can honestly find very few things wrong with this course. Really the only reason I would not give this course a 5 is because it doesn't quite meet my ideal of a perfect course which would have a lot more distance overall playing, scorewise, to a more traditional par 72 ball golf course. Other than that there is definitely a possibility of lost discs based on the thickness of the rough on certain holes and blind landing areas so I would suggest you bring a spotter. I would also agree with one of the other reviewers that short tees would be a nice addition for less skilled players.
Other Thoughts: Honestly this is one of THE best courses I have played or even just seen. My wife (a photograpaher) came with me and she commented repeatedly on how beautiful this course is. In terms of the type of course (wooded, open, etc) I think this type of course (and obviously this one in particular) is perfect.

Simultaneously Challenging and Fair

1    6/14/2009   6/26/2009
Review By: swatso
Excellent signs that show all the possible basket positions, distances, current basket location, location of next tees. 3+ basket positions per hole. Nice, long and wide concrete teepads. Benches at many tees.

Petrol and food not too far away. Part of larger park, but mostly away from other park patrons.
Some holes share basket positions. At times the most visible basket or tee is NOT where you want to go - refer to the sign at the current tee before you throw.

With a number of curving or blind shots and some thick undergrowth, there is a moderate chance to lose a disc.
This course, on every hole, does a great job of blending challenges and fairness. Accurate drives will be rewarded with fairly easy approaches; drives that are somewhat off will make you really work on your second shot; with a poor drive, simply try to avoid a double bogey - or worse.

Most every hole will have a fairway defined by trees and undergrowth. Trees will also normally come into play at a couple points along each hole - midway through your drive, preventing a straightforward approach shot, or somewhat guarding the basket.

Most every hole will also have some change of elevation - up, down, rolling - but nothing to severe. Very nice blend of right/left turning, low ceiling, upshot holes.

Despite the lack on an online map, the course is fairly easy to navigate, with some additional directional signs along the way.

Favourite hole: The day I played, #16. Long shot slightly uphill, woods on left, some trees on right. After cresting the hill, another long shot, slightly downhill, basket tucked several feet into the end of the woods on the left.