Saukville, WI
Tendick Nature Park Share
Hole #7 Pro Tee

5+    5/11/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: optimalben
Other Thoughts: Alright: I'm a little salty about this course right now since they've begun charging to play it (and I'm moving away soon and won't get enough value out of a season pass). I played this course plenty back when it was free, though, and I have to concede that, personal animosity aside, it's a nice course.

Pins, tees, benches, trails, signs, diagrams , all the pieces of "hardware" at this place are high quality. The course is very "technical" , in the sense of having to have accurate drives--not just long hucks (though there are a couple holes like that, too).

If you live in Ozaukee County and are looking for a regular (pay) course to play, I would really recommend this place to call home. Look at it like a "country club"; you pay the membership fee and frolf it all you want without all the congestion from non-members.

Very nice pay to play

1    6/2/2013   6/2/2013
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: Two sets of huge, flared level concrete tees on every hole. Many of these add distance and a different angle to the pin making for good variation between the two. The signs are excellent and they're at both the pro and am tees which isn't the case at a number of other places i've played. They show pin locations, distances, par and arrow to the next tee. They have multiple pin locations on every hole which once again gives it even more variation. Nice mix of left and right turning shots throughout. Also a good mix of open prairie holes and tight, technical wooded holes. All the fairways were extremely well mowed and maintained. Navigation is a breeze here and the course was designed well so no holes really overlap. Course was very clean. There are a few nice bridges over small streams which is always nice. Nice large parking lot and the area appears to be exclusively used for disc golf.
Cons: It's a pay to play course. Five dollars a person, however you can see where your money goes to. Just a con if you live nearby but i do believe they have annual passes that can be purchased.Some of the prairie holes are pretty bland, but they did the best they could with the land given. Other than these I got nothing.
Other Thoughts: This is for sure worth the $5 fee you got to pay to play it. There also are a number of other courses nearby to make for a great day of discing.

The Wind and the Lion

5+    4/19/2012   5/8/2012
Review By: Lokis Tyro
Pros: Easy to follow and well thought out course layout and variety of shots. Alternating pins. Restrooms, water fountain, shelter with picnic tables all in one spot. Very clean. Concrete Amateur and pro tees. Ample parking. Pedestrian trail. Blind shots. Rest areas. Trash receptacles. Practice tee has high and low areas nearby which are well within putting range. Great use of elevation changes throughout the course. Signs have improved vastly and should last. A few holes have challenging distances while they're not overwhelming for the average amateur. The hooligans aren't there to mess with you or steal your discs in my experience (this course was nearby to my ex-home). Some cool old buildings for group shots to the right of hole 3 if you're facing the goal.
Cons: Can be a busy course. Medium sized groups are not uncommon which will double to triple normal playing times on calm warm days. It could use some general maintenance on the trails, but it's a nature park, it should be natural. Considering the fact, you still wont see any wildlife aside from birds and other small critters.
Other Thoughts: Alternating pins for about 75% if I recall correctly. Some you cannot see the goal's position until you're almost walking on top of it. It is not always windy although you will encounter a few holes that generally always have a light breeze which makes it a fun, challenging course. If it happens to be windy I think it's a great course to hone in your skills in the condition. You will be tested and the effects are easily observed. In the fall it's easy to be looking for your disc for a little while when you're in the woods. There are a few holes in there where your disc will land somewhere and the leaves...the leaves...are so deep you can only hope that you see an "entrance wound" that is yours and that your assumption in direction is the right way. While you're looking through the leaves you'll be tripping over roots, sticks and maybe even a log, use caution! Use high visibility discs when shooting through the prairie. If hole 13's wind takes you off to the right you're going to want to run up a bit to get a better look at where you have landed or you'll be looking for a little while in the tall grass.

The Windy City

2-4    4/22/2012   4/26/2012
Review By: diggs11pond
Pros: Great course layout. The land is utilized quite well. There are a mix of open, finesse and wooded holes that can challenge everyone.
Cons: The course was extremely windy. It was early in the season, but it was extreme.
Other Thoughts: I like the course quite a bit. I am looking forward to playing in upcoming tournaments here!

Very Fun Course

1    10/11/2010   10/11/2010
Review By: shinypickle
Pros: -Large concrete tee pads
-Multiple tee pads
-Great scenery
-Park is very clean
-Garbage cans at most holes
-Benches at most holes
-The course is not extremely difficult but still provides a challenge
-Very good tee signs for holes 10-18; The other ones only have poles with a number on it
Cons: -Tee pads for the first nine can be very challenging to find if it is your first time
-Many leaves in the first nine to lose your disc in.
-Wind is a big factor
Other Thoughts: I would highly recommend downloading and printing the course map under the Links/Files tab. Without a map I would have gotten very lost. Over all this is a very enjoyable course.

5+    5/31/2010   6/1/2010
Review By: phillip420
Pros: this is a friendly course and challanging to the best players. sighns are currently being redone. i was with the guys while they GPSed the distance from pad to pin, also there are other plans on redoing some of the pins out there. i have to give it up to the guys for there time to give us an 18 hole course that is always enjoyable to play.great mix of woods and field play!! plenty of garbage cans so there should be no reason for litter. all and all very clean course.
Cons: could have a posibility of a water hazard out here but is not in any play.
Other Thoughts: help us keep this place clean! with the speed of the popularity this sport is taking its going to take all of us to keep this a free fun clean sport!!

Tendick has improved!

1    8/30/2009   8/31/2009
Review By: Scott Van Dyke
Pros: Some really neat looking holes here. A very quiet experience, as this place is out there a bit. Dual flaired tee pads, but the pro pads aren't anything to speak off in terms of giving the course a different "look". Not a difficult course, and shooting here is not at all discouraging like at Brown Deer.
Cons: Poor signage. Good attempt, but these things are make out of paper, and have long since faded in the rains and sunshine. Holes 16, 17, and 18 really need to be laid out differently. They are boring, and add a very poor feeling to finishing up this course.
Other Thoughts: If it's been a few years since you last played here, you need to come out an play this again. I remember playing out here quite a bit when SADGE club ran thngs, and were struggling to get things into the ground. The course has really come around in the latter years, and I really enjoyed my round here. Even my 4 YO daughter had a great time following me around and throwing my marker at the pins. She actually wanted to play another round afterward....

Fields, Wind, & Woods

5+    5/31/2009   5/31/2009
Review By: Tomski420
Pros: Upkeep: Trashcans everywhere, Hole Maps/Distances, concrete tee pads have awesome bottle neck design. PRACTICE BASKET.

Variety: I would say about 1/3 of the course is in dense wooded area, while the remaining 2/3's are open field holes (or dense woods on one side). Given that the baskets change up locations and there are pro and am tees, you can find a different course every couple of weeks/months (depending on what the caretaker feels is best during the time).

Open Holes Not Boring: Sometimes you find that course (Heritage in Slinger) where open holes have no imagination. Not here. Whether it is bushes, woods on one side, tall grass, tree placement, basket in a cove, or a slight dog-leg. Open holes here at least make you work for it.

Wind: Adds to the course's allure.
Cons: Transition Between Hole #5 and #6: Sometimes you forget to turn around and go left to #6, and instead go straight to #10. Did it the first time I played there and still catch myself doing it sometimes to this day. Wish there was an arrow that says "This way stupid".

Course Flow: I feel that the course peaks at around the middle of the round, and then slowly drives down your interest level until you reach the COMPLETELY FORGETTABLE hole #18

Droves of People Some Days: Once I ran into a group of twelve(12) people all playing together. Not bad when the course is empty, but when eight(8) others are waiting on the whole group ahead to hole out, and those 8 are really three(3) other groups backed up, then you got some problems. Wish people would break up those massive groups to 4 or 5 max and just space out. The problem is not really that much of an issue, but it's just those SOMETIMES.
Other Thoughts: Solid B+ course. Really cool people out there if your going solo and tag on to a group. If you think it's too easy then play the pro-tees, and if that's too easy then...join the tour.

Cool Variety in the Middle of Nowhere

1    5/29/2009   5/31/2009
Review By: Texconsinite
Pros: Nice metal trash cans at every hole. Next to parking lot, there is a shelter with picnic tables and bathrooms. Wood benches by several tees. Nice dual concrete teepads at every hole. 2-3 good pin positions on each hole that they do rotate it between fairly regularly. Basic, laminated tee signs that have a very generic hole map, not great for hole features, but does a good job showing you the general direction to all pin positions, with their distances from both tees marked clearly.

This course is interesting. I did quite enjoy the wooded holes, for starters. They were a trophy case of mid and some late trouble, which i think is a big part of the personality of this course. Some courses force you to throw between a narrow gap ft close to the tee before opening up a bit (early trouble). Other courses have open fairways, and protected baskets (late trouble). This course doesnt really have a lot of early trouble holes, but it has a lot of mid and late trouble.

On several holes, you throw from an open area, and must shoot a small gap into a thick wooded canopy, and hit a specific line ot get to the basket. I love it! Hole 2 is a great example. It reminds me of holes 14-15 at Brown Deer (aka some of the shortest holes there). Albeit, these holes are maybe not quite as tough as Brown deer, but that same tree danger that gets your heart pumping on the tee. Other holes, you navigate tree "armor"
to get to the basket, like 17 at Elver or hole 9 at Baraboo.

Just within the front nine "wooded" section of this course, it actually throws a real variety of holes at you. You have hole 5, which is a downhill "tunnel of death": Open area with Tall shule woods on the left, a line of bushy trees to the right, framing the basket between them perfectly. Do you curve over the right side into the open area to play it safe, or shoot the gap and hope you stay out of jail to the left? reminds me of a longer version of the cool technical holes at UW-Whitewater.

This course does a good job protecting baskets, and by that i mean that rather than
just stick them behind one tree, they have them on a hillside with overhanging branches, or down a hard curve pathway to the side, surrounded by bushy trees, Dretzka-style. So its really more like a mix of fairly wooded, and really wooded. Its a tweener, not as long as Brown Deer, but not as short as UW-Whitewater, with technical challenges like both of them at points.

The open holes seem like a different animal. I am biased towards wooded, technical courses, because I think many open courses lack intrigue. How can you really have a wide open curved hole. In the absence of obstacles and terrain, everything a becomes straight shot, and its just a matter of distance. Bo-ring. That's why I must commend this course, on having interesting open holes, which is a hard thing to do. Hole one starts off shooting up to a pin on a windy hilltop, which, though devoid of trees, is still challenging. That's an interesting wide open hole. Terrain is really what makes open holes interesting, and the open holes I played here had good amounts. The long grass on the sides of the fairways is a pain to shoot from, and grabs discs and slams them down midflight, which is a good punishment. The pins are on uneven ground, which requires for careful shot placement on upshots. Also a mark of good open holes, like the ones at Justin Trails. In some cases, the pin is set past the edge of the green, 20 ft into the longer grass "rough" which makes it extra hard to park the hole.

There is even a lake sortof in play to the right of one hole. The hole wraps around the left side of it. According to my local guide, its pretty easy to stay out of the lake, as in after a season there's typically only a dozen discs in there, which is a surprise because the lake runs the length of the hole and a bit beyond, in both directions.

So, the course brings alot of elements into play. The holes I played were fun and challenging. Its not as hard as Brown Deer, but its not Valley View either. Nice level, with additional challenge available from the long tees.
Cons: Navigation: I played with several locals, and we still got turned around and skipped about 4 holes. The transition to the field holes does seem a little confusing. I think we were supposed to cut back into the woods before we exited them for the field, but there were no signs, so I'm not sure. Especially for course that's out in the sticks like this, its disappointing that there aren't better navigation signs.

Perhaps I was hardened after playing Brown Deer the day before, but it seemed a bit easy to me. The mix of wooded holes I played were stellar, and I wish the course was all like that. the prospect of all those open holes didn't really excite me too much. It's one thing for a course to have a few wide open holes mixed in, like Justin Trails does, but half and half? I think the wide open holes in the field would get boring by the end. But that's based on my prejudices, as well as the fact that I'm still learning to tweak disc selection for changing wind conditions.

The holes here are nice, with good maintenance and challenge, but I can't say the course blew me away. All the holes felt very comfortable to me. Par'able, with chances for 2's in many cases. There weren't any I played that really stretched me. So, its perhaps a bit easier than Dretzka, but still challenging and fun.
Other Thoughts: On top of skipping several holes due to misnavigation, we had to leave early so my partner-in-crime could put his infant daughter to bed. Thus, I only got to play about 10 holes on this course: most of the wooded ones, and a few open ones. I saw the other open holes, but didn't play them.

As such, I debated whether to even review this course yet, since I don't have a complete picture of it. However, I reasoned that it was better to share what I could now, and play it again some other time and update my review to include the complete experience. I may like it more or less depending on the other holes I haven't played. So just know that this is my review of the pieces I played, with the rest extrapolated based on my passing observations of the unplayed holes.

It really seems like a fun course, and I want to head back here again to play the whole thing, along with Lime-Kiln, but I wish it wasn't so far from Milwaukee. If this course was closer to me, I'd want to play it more often. If you are in the area, this one is definitely worth checking out, but at this point, I can't honestly call it Excellent

2 Completely different courses. 9 densely wooded, 9 rolling prairie

5+    7/16/2011   3/21/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) Nice little park completely dedicated to disc golf so it seems. Awesome variety in the holes, 9 densely wooded and 9 set in the rolling prairie grass.

2) Nice baskets and awesome concrete tee pads (trapezoidal to give you different angles and looks no matter how you throw the disc. 2 sets of tee pads that really alter how the holes are played. I played 1 from each teepad for my first time there and I enjoyed both shots from both tees.

3) Awesome use of the woods to tuck baskets behind trees. Lots of shotmaking required. You need to hit your line if you plan to score well. Alternate routes to the baskets allow for most people to pick their own lines depending on how they throw.

4) Friendly people, helped point me in the right direction being a newbie, and even gave me a little walkthrough of the course before I teed off.

5) Well maintaned and clean park, the local club must do a really good job of policing the course.

6) 2 sets of teepads and 2 or 3 basket locations make this course very changeable. That is a serious plus!

7) Pretty beginner friendly, except a couple of the wooded holes. There are some challenges but from the front tees, its not so bad for a beginner.

8) Nice tee signs I think were made by a local . . . they have all the information and look really nice too.
Cons: 1)The first time I played here I only got to play the 9 holes in the woods because the prairie had been reseeded and needed to recover from that. The wooded holes are what I enjoy more than open prairie holes. After playing the entire course I do feel like half my round is fun the other half is sortof boring. The prairie holes do have challenge but it is primarily because of distance and wind and I would much rather play an 18 wooded hole course. There s nothing wrong with the prairie holes. . . its just my favorite type of hole, so in the end it is a good mix unfortunately it just feels like 2 completely different courses, where I am all excited initially and then I finish with disappointment.

2) Grass was seeded around many of the teeboxes 2 years ago and did well initially but in a few spots it is beginning to thin out again from compaction.

3) A few of the teeboxes (#7 tee from #6A basket,#9 tee from #8A basket, ) are not easy to find for a newbie. The mulch path in the woods can actually mislead you to the wrong teepad, thats where I was confused, #10 tee is along that mulch path, but the other tees you are looking for are not along that path.

4) #11 is a fairly poor hole from the pro tees. The forward tees give you a shot but not the pros. I know it is supposed to mae you execute a shot but it seems a little hokey . . .relying too much on luck.

5) Prairie holes are only adequate. WInd is always a factor so you have that to challenge you instead of dense woods ont he back nine.

7) Last 3 holes are melodramatic and do leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Other Thoughts: This was a decent little course to play. I made a loop of 5 new courses (for me)starting in Grafton at Lime Kiln, Tendick Nature Park in Saukville, Villa Park in West Bend, then on to Woodlawn in Hartford and Erin go Bragh in Thompson. I would rank this one as #1 out of the 5.

UPDATE: I finally got back to play the back 9. I played one disc from each tee today so I could see the whole course. I also have played a lot of nice courses since I originally played the front 9 here so I have had to downgrade the overall grade of this course to a 3.5. I still like a lot of the holes, but the ones I had't played just arent that great. It is also very hard to imagine that grass still hasn't filled in, why not just surround those awesome huge flared concrete tees with gravelt o prevent the need for constant reseeding!