Saukville, WI
Hole #18 Am Tee

1 2 3 Next >
 C = Cool concept, but falls short of potential

1    6/3/2009   6/7/2009
Pros: This review, like all of mine, is for the long tees. That is unfortunate for this particular course since the short tees make for an excellent course, abeit a little short. The long tees for the most part are dumb: They either just add a lot (too much) of length on the open holes, or they make impossibly lucky/random fairways of the wooded holes. It is very unfortunate since they are very nice tees and obviously a lot a care/pride has been put into the installation.

What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == C-

Fields, Wind, & Woods

5+    5/31/2009   5/31/2009
Review By: Tomski420
Pros: Upkeep: Trashcans everywhere, Hole Maps/Distances, concrete tee pads have awesome bottle neck design. PRACTICE BASKET.

Variety: I would say about 1/3 of the course is in dense wooded area, while the remaining 2/3's are open field holes (or dense woods on one side). Given that the baskets change up locations and there are pro and am tees, you can find a different course every couple of weeks/months (depending on what the caretaker feels is best during the time).

Open Holes Not Boring: Sometimes you find that course (Heritage in Slinger) where open holes have no imagination. Not here. Whether it is bushes, woods on one side, tall grass, tree placement, basket in a cove, or a slight dog-leg. Open holes here at least make you work for it.

Wind: Adds to the course's allure.
Cons: Transition Between Hole #5 and #6: Sometimes you forget to turn around and go left to #6, and instead go straight to #10. Did it the first time I played there and still catch myself doing it sometimes to this day. Wish there was an arrow that says "This way stupid".

Course Flow: I feel that the course peaks at around the middle of the round, and then slowly drives down your interest level until you reach the COMPLETELY FORGETTABLE hole #18

Droves of People Some Days: Once I ran into a group of twelve(12) people all playing together. Not bad when the course is empty, but when eight(8) others are waiting on the whole group ahead to hole out, and those 8 are really three(3) other groups backed up, then you got some problems. Wish people would break up those massive groups to 4 or 5 max and just space out. The problem is not really that much of an issue, but it's just those SOMETIMES.
Other Thoughts: Solid B+ course. Really cool people out there if your going solo and tag on to a group. If you think it's too easy then play the pro-tees, and if that's too easy then...join the tour.

Cool Variety in the Middle of Nowhere

1    5/29/2009   5/31/2009
Review By: Texconsinite
Pros: Nice metal trash cans at every hole. Next to parking lot, there is a shelter with picnic tables and bathrooms. Wood benches by several tees. Nice dual concrete teepads at every hole. 2-3 good pin positions on each hole that they do rotate it between fairly regularly. Basic, laminated tee signs that have a very generic hole map, not great for hole features, but does a good job showing you the general direction to all pin positions, with their distances from both tees marked clearly.

This course is interesting. I did quite enjoy the wooded holes, for starters. They were a trophy case of mid and some late trouble, which i think is a big part of the personality of this course. Some courses force you to throw between a narrow gap ft close to the tee before opening up a bit (early trouble). Other courses have open fairways, and protected baskets (late trouble). This course doesnt really have a lot of early trouble holes, but it has a lot of mid and late trouble.

On several holes, you throw from an open area, and must shoot a small gap into a thick wooded canopy, and hit a specific line ot get to the basket. I love it! Hole 2 is a great example. It reminds me of holes 14-15 at Brown Deer (aka some of the shortest holes there). Albeit, these holes are maybe not quite as tough as Brown deer, but that same tree danger that gets your heart pumping on the tee. Other holes, you navigate tree "armor"
to get to the basket, like 17 at Elver or hole 9 at Baraboo.

Just within the front nine "wooded" section of this course, it actually throws a real variety of holes at you. You have hole 5, which is a downhill "tunnel of death": Open area with Tall shule woods on the left, a line of bushy trees to the right, framing the basket between them perfectly. Do you curve over the right side into the open area to play it safe, or shoot the gap and hope you stay out of jail to the left? reminds me of a longer version of the cool technical holes at UW-Whitewater.

This course does a good job protecting baskets, and by that i mean that rather than
just stick them behind one tree, they have them on a hillside with overhanging branches, or down a hard curve pathway to the side, surrounded by bushy trees, Dretzka-style. So its really more like a mix of fairly wooded, and really wooded. Its a tweener, not as long as Brown Deer, but not as short as UW-Whitewater, with technical challenges like both of them at points.

The open holes seem like a different animal. I am biased towards wooded, technical courses, because I think many open courses lack intrigue. How can you really have a wide open curved hole. In the absence of obstacles and terrain, everything a becomes straight shot, and its just a matter of distance. Bo-ring. That's why I must commend this course, on having interesting open holes, which is a hard thing to do. Hole one starts off shooting up to a pin on a windy hilltop, which, though devoid of trees, is still challenging. That's an interesting wide open hole. Terrain is really what makes open holes interesting, and the open holes I played here had good amounts. The long grass on the sides of the fairways is a pain to shoot from, and grabs discs and slams them down midflight, which is a good punishment. The pins are on uneven ground, which requires for careful shot placement on upshots. Also a mark of good open holes, like the ones at Justin Trails. In some cases, the pin is set past the edge of the green, 20 ft into the longer grass "rough" which makes it extra hard to park the hole.

There is even a lake sortof in play to the right of one hole. The hole wraps around the left side of it. According to my local guide, its pretty easy to stay out of the lake, as in after a season there's typically only a dozen discs in there, which is a surprise because the lake runs the length of the hole and a bit beyond, in both directions.

So, the course brings alot of elements into play. The holes I played were fun and challenging. Its not as hard as Brown Deer, but its not Valley View either. Nice level, with additional challenge available from the long tees.
Cons: Navigation: I played with several locals, and we still got turned around and skipped about 4 holes. The transition to the field holes does seem a little confusing. I think we were supposed to cut back into the woods before we exited them for the field, but there were no signs, so I'm not sure. Especially for course that's out in the sticks like this, its disappointing that there aren't better navigation signs.

Perhaps I was hardened after playing Brown Deer the day before, but it seemed a bit easy to me. The mix of wooded holes I played were stellar, and I wish the course was all like that. the prospect of all those open holes didn't really excite me too much. It's one thing for a course to have a few wide open holes mixed in, like Justin Trails does, but half and half? I think the wide open holes in the field would get boring by the end. But that's based on my prejudices, as well as the fact that I'm still learning to tweak disc selection for changing wind conditions.

The holes here are nice, with good maintenance and challenge, but I can't say the course blew me away. All the holes felt very comfortable to me. Par'able, with chances for 2's in many cases. There weren't any I played that really stretched me. So, its perhaps a bit easier than Dretzka, but still challenging and fun.
Other Thoughts: On top of skipping several holes due to misnavigation, we had to leave early so my partner-in-crime could put his infant daughter to bed. Thus, I only got to play about 10 holes on this course: most of the wooded ones, and a few open ones. I saw the other open holes, but didn't play them.

As such, I debated whether to even review this course yet, since I don't have a complete picture of it. However, I reasoned that it was better to share what I could now, and play it again some other time and update my review to include the complete experience. I may like it more or less depending on the other holes I haven't played. So just know that this is my review of the pieces I played, with the rest extrapolated based on my passing observations of the unplayed holes.

It really seems like a fun course, and I want to head back here again to play the whole thing, along with Lime-Kiln, but I wish it wasn't so far from Milwaukee. If this course was closer to me, I'd want to play it more often. If you are in the area, this one is definitely worth checking out, but at this point, I can't honestly call it Excellent

Great secluded 18 hole

5+    5/25/2009   5/28/2009
Review By: Skankin77
Pros: - great concrete tee pads
- great baskets
- good hole placements
- good mixture of the front 9 through the woods, and the back 9 rolling through a beautiful field
- park is maintained well, garbage cans at each hole, benches at each (not all)
- everyone is generally really nice
- hosts tournaments
Cons: - wind is typically a factor
- trees in front 9 can be a hassle, especially on 6-9
- sometimes a bit of a wait at each hole
- a lot of leaves in the front 9, easy to lose discs in
Other Thoughts: Tendick is a pretty well laid out course. Everyone is pretty nice. However, Tendick could use a water hazard possibly; like a hole across the pond next to the practice basket. Overall, Tendick is a pretty good course.

2 Completely different courses. 9 densely wooded, 9 rolling prairie

5+    7/16/2011   3/21/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) Nice little park completely dedicated to disc golf so it seems. Awesome variety in the holes, 9 densely wooded and 9 set in the rolling prairie grass.

2) Nice baskets and awesome concrete tee pads (trapezoidal to give you different angles and looks no matter how you throw the disc. 2 sets of tee pads that really alter how the holes are played. I played 1 from each teepad for my first time there and I enjoyed both shots from both tees.

3) Awesome use of the woods to tuck baskets behind trees. Lots of shotmaking required. You need to hit your line if you plan to score well. Alternate routes to the baskets allow for most people to pick their own lines depending on how they throw.

4) Friendly people, helped point me in the right direction being a newbie, and even gave me a little walkthrough of the course before I teed off.

5) Well maintaned and clean park, the local club must do a really good job of policing the course.

6) 2 sets of teepads and 2 or 3 basket locations make this course very changeable. That is a serious plus!

7) Pretty beginner friendly, except a couple of the wooded holes. There are some challenges but from the front tees, its not so bad for a beginner.

8) Nice tee signs I think were made by a local . . . they have all the information and look really nice too.
Cons: 1)The first time I played here I only got to play the 9 holes in the woods because the prairie had been reseeded and needed to recover from that. The wooded holes are what I enjoy more than open prairie holes. After playing the entire course I do feel like half my round is fun the other half is sortof boring. The prairie holes do have challenge but it is primarily because of distance and wind and I would much rather play an 18 wooded hole course. There s nothing wrong with the prairie holes. . . its just my favorite type of hole, so in the end it is a good mix unfortunately it just feels like 2 completely different courses, where I am all excited initially and then I finish with disappointment.

2) Grass was seeded around many of the teeboxes 2 years ago and did well initially but in a few spots it is beginning to thin out again from compaction.

3) A few of the teeboxes (#7 tee from #6A basket,#9 tee from #8A basket, ) are not easy to find for a newbie. The mulch path in the woods can actually mislead you to the wrong teepad, thats where I was confused, #10 tee is along that mulch path, but the other tees you are looking for are not along that path.

4) #11 is a fairly poor hole from the pro tees. The forward tees give you a shot but not the pros. I know it is supposed to mae you execute a shot but it seems a little hokey . . .relying too much on luck.

5) Prairie holes are only adequate. WInd is always a factor so you have that to challenge you instead of dense woods ont he back nine.

7) Last 3 holes are melodramatic and do leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Other Thoughts: This was a decent little course to play. I made a loop of 5 new courses (for me)starting in Grafton at Lime Kiln, Tendick Nature Park in Saukville, Villa Park in West Bend, then on to Woodlawn in Hartford and Erin go Bragh in Thompson. I would rank this one as #1 out of the 5.

UPDATE: I finally got back to play the back 9. I played one disc from each tee today so I could see the whole course. I also have played a lot of nice courses since I originally played the front 9 here so I have had to downgrade the overall grade of this course to a 3.5. I still like a lot of the holes, but the ones I had't played just arent that great. It is also very hard to imagine that grass still hasn't filled in, why not just surround those awesome huge flared concrete tees with gravelt o prevent the need for constant reseeding!

Tendick time

5+    10/10/2008   12/25/2008
Review By: Stashride
Pros: Secluded and rustic..large trapezoidal new tee boxes..gazebo just added..Tendick is a good meet between Mil town and Sheboygan for avid DGers..
Cons: Wind is always a factor in the open areas at this course especially off the first tee..always a head wind, never a tail wind..Uhhhh! A couple real tough dog legs..
Other Thoughts: Get your birdies in the woods because the open holes are misleadingly difficult..

Tendick, a great course

6/12/2008   6/13/2008
Review By: bass4grace
Pros: This fantastic course offers a great experience for advanced players as well beginners. Tendick brings out every aspect of the game. Roughly half the course is in the woods, and the other half in the open. It demands short technical throws as well as long drives. Tendick also exhibits a comfortable course length, offering multiple chances at birdies if you can make the putts. Finally, I feel that Tendick has an excellant course layout. 18 returns you right back to hole 1, and the design takes you comfortably throughout the entire park area.
Cons: Wind is almost always a factor in the open areas, and the forest sometimes makes it very difficult to find a path. There are a lot of little trees that blocking the desired routes. Also, due to the courses popularity and distance from other courses, groups often flock to it in droves on nice days.
Other Thoughts: I don't know that I would drive much further that 30 miles just to play this course, but if your nearby or passing through, it's a MUST PLAY in my opinion.

Misses the mark on too many holes, but hits on others

6/10/2008   6/11/2008
Review By: TenaciousMV
Pros: Some of the most challenging holes in the area; maintenance is top notch (example: cedar chips are put down after a heavy rain); top quality concrete tee pads; some unique holes; generally easy to find your discs in the woods, as paths have been made; pro tees, though generally not much farther back than the amateur tees, provide a significant upgrade in challenge; a variety of shot types are demanded on some holes; the slight elevation in the area is taken advantage of; course is easy to follow
Cons: Too many holes with very few obstacles (1, 3, 17) or next to no obstacles (12, 13, 16, 18); wooded holes, while challenging and usually fun, occasionally don't feel very well planned out; high grass in the more open areas may make finding your disc difficult and contains some sharp weeds; bugs come out in droves after it rains due to quite a bit of mud and standing water; the course is the best within a 15 mile radius and as a result gets pretty busy; for some reason, it seems to be a 'drinking course'; leagues on Thursdays; many signs have been vandalized and no longer exist; many bushes contain thorns
Other Thoughts: I've been to this course a couple of times now and have generally enjoyed myself. A few of the wooded holes reminded me of Brown Deer - which is a very, very good thing.

After playing with some friends tonight, we all agreed that the course simply doesn't deliver on too many holes. If I was to come back here on a slower day, I may play 9 of the holes 4 times rather than all 18 twice. Many of the holes are really quite dull.

To be clear, I didn't take off points for the crowds, the drinking, or the leagues - those aren't the courses fault.

This course isn't going to be one I'll likely visit often, but I think it's worth being played at least once. It has some unique holes that you'll certainly remember. These holes prevent it from being average (2.0) since they provide unique challenges, but the several 'throw away' holes leave it far short of excellence (4.0).

This one is a toss up between a 2.5 and a 3 for me. The 4th, 11th, and the general unique difficulties in some of the wooded holes pushed me to give a 3.0 - this course is good.

EDIT: I want to be be a bit more clear on the wooded holes. I say they are some of the most challenging in the area - this is true. I also said some don't feel well planned out - this is also true. Much of the challenge comes from the fact that they're very close to being unfair and not like Brown deer where an excellent shot selection is required. Some may disagree with me, but those are my thoughts.

Tendic

5/2/2008   6/2/2008
Review By: andymeunier
Pros: Tendick Is a well laid out course with a good mix of everything. About half the course is in the woods where many different shots need to be played, and the other half of the course is in rolling meadows where the holes tend to be a little bit longer. Tendick has some of the best cement pads out there, and offers amateur and pro tees. The pro tees are way out of my league but it would definitely challenge anyone playing from there. I personally prefer the holes in the woods with a lot of obstacles, because it forces you to throw many different shots. A great course!!
Cons: Some of the stumps in the woods can easitly trip you.

1 2 3 Next >