Jefferson, NC
Uploaded By: Sling Moore Hole #9

Phenomenal!

2-4    7/10/2011   7/12/2011
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: All that gushing praise in earlier reviews merely understated it.

This is one incredible disc golf course.

Beginning with the aesthetics, since that's the first thing you notice. The course is partly open, partly wooded The "open" segments aren't wide-open, but are manicured with magnificent views, scattered trees and low ceilings and a beautiful pond. The wooded segments are on steep slopes in a mountain forest, with huge hardwoods and thick groves of rhododendrons and mountain laurels. The views from #9 & #18---hilltop tees with long, straight-down alleys to the open area far below---are amazing.

And that's before you throw a disc. The open holes aren't terribly long, but have enough obstacles and rolling ground to really test you. The signature hole, from high above the pond to the basket on the far side, with a low-ceiling in between, is quite exciting. Meanwhile, the wooded holes include some very tight shots, some grueling par-4s, and some very unique holes. The wooded section is quite a workout but virtually every hole is amazing.

It includes Hole 11, the likes of which I've never seen. Drive down the fairway to a placement landing, then over an inpenatrable hedge of rhodos to an opening in the woods, then over another hedge to the opening where the basket is.

The course has two sets of tees, and 4 holes with 2 baskets. Though my praise is for the longest, most challenging tees, the short tees are quite fun, still pretty challenging, and, in many cases, aren't just shorter but present entirely different layouts, very refreshing. Which is also true for the holes with dual baskets.

The park is tucked back in the moutains, giving it a secluded and peaceful feel.

The course also displays a phenomenal amount of work by the local disc golfers, in the form of steps, tees, barriers near baskets, erosion controls, and mulching. Not to mention building the course in the first place.
Cons: Nitpicks, really. The signage is pretty good, but there are places in the woods where there is a lacework of trails, and it's not always easy to pick the right one to get to the next tee.

Some of the short tees are 10' long, with no room behind them. If you're like me with an established 12' footwork, they're tough, especially when a bad throw is severely punished.
Other Thoughts: I'd go on for pages and pages---I really really loved this course---but I'll just say that it would be a tough break if this was your home course, because anywhere else you went would be a letdown.

5+    3/20/2011   3/29/2011
Review By: joshuajames
This review was updated on 3/31/2013
Pros: One of the most beautiful and challenging courses I have ever played.
The holes are all unique and not in least bit monotonous. Great balance of open spaces to wooded areas, up hills to down hills, and hooking left or right holes.
The Pro tees offer a whole other perspective on the course (rarely is the Pro tee just further back). The course is kept up very well. Great signage and tee pads.
Cons: Honestly, there are not really any cons. If I stretch for one it would be there really is nothing around other than this awesome course. Be prepared to drive 45 minutes to the closest metropolitan community.
Other Thoughts: Keep up the kick-a work Ashe Co Parks and Rec.!

Beautiful Course

1    1/30/2011   2/6/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Absolutely gorgeous

Very diverse

Top notch elevation

Balanced length

Multiple signature holes

Concrete pads, plenty of benches and amenities
Cons: Personally, I wish a few of the down hill shots had wider fairways. I missed seeing my disc really sail on a couple holes...and yes, I am reaching here

This course just didn't have any considerable cons
Other Thoughts: Truly breathtaking.

This course is a prime example of why I play disc golf. Its not just a sport. Its an opportunity to get out and experience nature. Natural beauty abounds here.

This course has excellent diversity. I used pretty much every disc in my bag. The distances vary nicely from ace runs to challenging par 4's. There are multiple huge down hill shots. There is alot to like here for novices and pros alike. This course wont beat down newbies but there is still plenty of challenge for the advanced golfer.

The front nine is relatively open. Open, but each hole has style. You shoot directly over a pond on 3. Nice. Pin 6 is perched on the pond bank making for a nice risk/reward shot off the tee. Then you climb into the woods for the back nine. These holes are very technical. A few of them are quite long for the tightness of the fairways. Hole 12 was very memorable. Its a huge downhill shot to a guarded pin. There is no early trouble so you could really let it fly. Alot of up and down. It is a hike as much as it is disc golf. There are planty of placed logs to help keep you upright while hiking the often steep slopes.

I played this course on my way down to the Charlotte disc golf meca. It was a last minute decision. So very glad I did. This course doesn't get the hype of many other less intriguing courses. This course deserves to be at the top of your wish list. I guarantee, you will not be dissapointed.

Mountain Golf Experience

5+    12/13/2010   12/21/2010
Review By: jrod17320
Pros: First of all this course offers a wide variety of holes with the two sets of teepads, and a good variety of open and wooded holes. This is my adopted home course during college and I cant get enough of it. While I enjoy all the holes a few stick out to me as ones that really make this course stand out. Alot of the previous reviews identify 9 and 18 as the best which i agree with but I think holes 3 and 12 are really great challenging holes. The white pads are easier but they arent par guarantees. The blues are hard for anyone but they are not impossible for good golfers. One of my favorite things about this course is the abundance of multiple lines. On alot of the holes there are multiple lines to get to the basket, one of my peeves is holes that have no defined line to go through. All around this course is phenomenal and everyone who loves disc golf in the Carolinas should at least play this course to understand why us mountain golfers love it so much.
Cons: Some of the locals are a bit ignorant of disc golf and tend to fish directly where I am throwing but usually they will move when asked. Jefferson is far out there and there are a few restaurants I would rather not eat at again after experiencing them :)
Other Thoughts: I started playing disc golf in High Point on Johnson Street with one disc. A little over a year later I moved to the mountains with no clue I would ever play this sport again. I met a few friends who played where I worked and they showed me this course and I have been a disc golf fiend ever since. This course is rated high for a reason because it is well kept up thanks to the Parks and Rec there for an amazing.

awesome, tough course

2-4    9/15/2010   12/8/2010
Review By: porchmike
This review was updated on 11/24/2011
Pros: long drives/long, scenic drive to get there

scenic views of the appalachians

low crowds

tech shots/great variety

#9 and #18 are the funnest holes i've ever played. if you like to see 'em fly, there are no two better holes i've played. the pro tee on 18 is ridiculous! you better throw it straight!

great exercise- lots of elevation changes and a HUGE layout make for a great workout to go with the amazing golf.

Cons: 11 is really weird with the walls of rhodies, but it is unique... the short pin is not quite as wierd.

remoteness is a con for some, but a huge pro for me- i don't like crowds.
Other Thoughts: my second favorite course, after idlewild. this place is worth a road trip, just come prepared with food, water, long pants for poison ivy, and lots of discs for 9 and 18, and you won't be disappointed! by no means have i played them all, but this course must be right up there w/ the best in the country!

1    12/6/2010   12/6/2010
Review By: coolhand
Pros: one of my favorite courses. the epitome of appalachian disc golf. extreme elevation change. pro tees are very challenging. holes 9 and 18 are the signature holes. i can't wait to go back. good mix.
Cons: i'm not very fond of rubber pad tees which are found on the hills. killer walk.

Much to Offer - Any Level Player

5+    9/9/2010   11/15/2010
Review By: mcleanclan
Pros: The greatest. From the blues (only forced to play once in a PDGA), it is a very testing course for any skill-set. From the whites, it is a test, but a TON of FUN! My favorite course of all time - at least of those I have played. There are so many testing shots and shots you won't find elsewhere. 9 and 18 are priceless. #6 costed me 8 strokes in the PDGA - even though my second shot was from 12 feet. Love the challenge. Risk vs Reward... all the way through.
Cons: Can't think of any. The hill climbs? Not really. Just play the back nine first. Then again in the PDGA I had to start on 15... ugggg...
Other Thoughts: If you haven't played it... WISH LIST it now. You'll soon be FAVORITING it! It's a 4.5 for a reason.

Beautiful

1    8/20/2010   8/20/2010
Review By: gcanter2376
Pros: - Great scenery and the views were awesome. A truly breathtaking course.
- Great variety of holes that really make you think.
- 2 sets of tpads for each hole.
- Course was very well maintained and their were benches at each hole to rest on.
-Hole 9 was awesome.
- Blue Tees make it very challenging for those wanting a challenging day.
- In the same respect the White Tees are challenging for begginers and advanced players alike but not overly challenging to where a beginner could not enjoy themselves.
Cons: Not much to say here but here goes
- This cousre is in the middle of nowhere! Very few nice resteraunts other than your normal fast food.
- Their were a few holes that were a little confusing as where to go.
- Would liked to have one really open hole to rip one on. (Maybe a long, open downhill hole.)
Other Thoughts: Great course. It is the favorite so far for me and wife and I cant wait to go back and take my friends next time.

Hail to the King, Baby (short tee review)

1    8/9/2010   8/10/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Elevation. It's darn nifty. This is another solid gem of a course from Harold Duvall. Virtually perfect variety in landscape terms; open, wooded, high to low and vice versa, and even some water in play makes it a lock as a must play. The wooded fairways are perfect examples of tough but fair, many were reminiscent of Castle Hayne style in terms of open enough to execute a variety of different lines but tight enough to punish poor throws, which I consider integral to a good course. Very well maintained park and course as the grass was nice and trim, practically litter free. Tee signs and next tee signage helps you navigate the separate tee layouts (short and long/am and pro) nearly flawlessly, and the tees themselves were excellently installed, smooth, level, and space-ish, which consisted of both cement and rubber mats. The alternate holes for 8 and 9 is a great little loop for a quick 9 to leave you near the parking lot, a great touch.

The hole variety was very good in terms of distance and L-R, encouraging golfers to be able to hit different lines like turnovers, hyzers, flex shots, FH, etc.
Cons: Mandos. I like mandos overall but the one on hole # 7 is just plain dumb. It prevents you from hyzering over the pond and forces you to squeeze a difficult TO or the less difficult FH up and over a hill plus a low ceiling provided by a pine tree branch. The result is a window that is really short for TOs to hit and the slope of hole makes it really easy for FHs to skip into the pond. I think the easier but more intimidating hyzer over the pond route would have given the course more character and versatility. I presume the mando is there to protect swimmers and fishermen but there were hardly neither when I played.

Unrealistic/awkward fairway shape on hole #13. It's an L-shaped hole that goes right but the turn is less than 50-60' it seems in front of the tee and it's very difficult to throw an anny and make it go 90 degrees to the right for ~200' for a chance to hit the basket. I don't think it's an impossible hole b/c it seems doable via a very high anny that floats forever or maybe a roller but it's just a strange, unconventional fairway design. It does look much more conventional/manageable from the long position though.

Flow was kind of sporadic, it was confusing where exactly the basket for #12 was at first, I thought it was a huge anhyzer but it was actually tucked away in the gap in the forest straight ahead. Not a big con since the next tee signs helped immensely.

Long walks between holes, especially on the back 9. I usually don't mind these too bad, especially if the walks take me to sweet holes which they do in this case, but most of these were up and down the mountainside so if you fit the stereotypical "Comic book store guy" from the Simpsons profile of discgolfers (hey, I'm almost there myself), you are going to get a workout.

Rollaways: It's a hilly, rolling mountainside type of course, so obviously there's some pins on hillsides, are precariously placed near dropoffs. So be wary of this, you might even want to bring out the Blowfly. This isn't really a con, just a warning really. It's much less brutal than many Charlotte area courses that seem to get off from denying you simple, non-scary putts on every hole (*cough, cough* Renny, Nevin).

Not the most secluded, get-back-to-nature type course, you feel like you're in a park virtually at all times.
Other Thoughts: I've heard some complaints about some holes being gimmicky but I didn't really see it that way, but I only played the short tees for a full 18 and then the longs from 1-7 and then the alternate loop 8 & 9.

Feels like: The Front 9 feel like a more hilly Cedarock or a more open Glenburnie and the Back 9 feels like a mountainous Castle Hayne or Hornet's Nest.

Score Justification: Phenomenal is a strong word. The course is very good and the views of the mountainsides are splendid but I feel like the cons I listed hold it back ever so slightly from being a 4.5-5.0. It's definitely a must-play and I'd be very proud of this course if it was my home though. I will definitely hit this course up from all the longs eventually and then the rating might scoot up but for now I think it's the best 4.0 course I've ever played, more like a 4.40.

Side Note: I ate at the Hardees in Jefferson and I think every dude in there had the circa 1988 Jose Canseco style bowl-cut. Pure awesomesauce.

The Real Heart of the High Country

5+    7/10/2010   7/13/2010
Review By: Sloanwilliamson
Pros: If you want to go to a course to play some true mountain golf, this is the place to be. You can't beat the views from many of the tee pads. Number nine is breathtaking. There is a great variety of shots and the whites and blues change the course completely. The course layout is also excellent. Paths are well defined and it's very easy to navigate to every hole.
Cons: If you are not used to mountain golf then get ready. It is quite a hike on the back nine, especially up to 15. Don't let it discourage you, it is well worth the hike to play this awesome course.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my top two favorite courses in Western NC. You can't beat the views anywhere. With scenic Mount Jefferson as the backdrop for this course, I would stack this course against any on the east coast.