Jefferson, NC
Ashe County Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #10 (Taken 1/2015)
Hole #10 White Tee

Hail to the King, Baby (short tee review)

1    8/9/2010   8/10/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Elevation. It's darn nifty. This is another solid gem of a course from Harold Duvall. Virtually perfect variety in landscape terms; open, wooded, high to low and vice versa, and even some water in play makes it a lock as a must play. The wooded fairways are perfect examples of tough but fair, many were reminiscent of Castle Hayne style in terms of open enough to execute a variety of different lines but tight enough to punish poor throws, which I consider integral to a good course. Very well maintained park and course as the grass was nice and trim, practically litter free. Tee signs and next tee signage helps you navigate the separate tee layouts (short and long/am and pro) nearly flawlessly, and the tees themselves were excellently installed, smooth, level, and space-ish, which consisted of both cement and rubber mats. The alternate holes for 8 and 9 is a great little loop for a quick 9 to leave you near the parking lot, a great touch.

The hole variety was very good in terms of distance and L-R, encouraging golfers to be able to hit different lines like turnovers, hyzers, flex shots, FH, etc.
Cons: Mandos. I like mandos overall but the one on hole # 7 is just plain dumb. It prevents you from hyzering over the pond and forces you to squeeze a difficult TO or the less difficult FH up and over a hill plus a low ceiling provided by a pine tree branch. The result is a window that is really short for TOs to hit and the slope of hole makes it really easy for FHs to skip into the pond. I think the easier but more intimidating hyzer over the pond route would have given the course more character and versatility. I presume the mando is there to protect swimmers and fishermen but there were hardly neither when I played.

Unrealistic/awkward fairway shape on hole #13. It's an L-shaped hole that goes right but the turn is less than 50-60' it seems in front of the tee and it's very difficult to throw an anny and make it go 90 degrees to the right for ~200' for a chance to hit the basket. I don't think it's an impossible hole b/c it seems doable via a very high anny that floats forever or maybe a roller but it's just a strange, unconventional fairway design. It does look much more conventional/manageable from the long position though.

Flow was kind of sporadic, it was confusing where exactly the basket for #12 was at first, I thought it was a huge anhyzer but it was actually tucked away in the gap in the forest straight ahead. Not a big con since the next tee signs helped immensely.

Long walks between holes, especially on the back 9. I usually don't mind these too bad, especially if the walks take me to sweet holes which they do in this case, but most of these were up and down the mountainside so if you fit the stereotypical "Comic book store guy" from the Simpsons profile of discgolfers (hey, I'm almost there myself), you are going to get a workout.

Rollaways: It's a hilly, rolling mountainside type of course, so obviously there's some pins on hillsides, are precariously placed near dropoffs. So be wary of this, you might even want to bring out the Blowfly. This isn't really a con, just a warning really. It's much less brutal than many Charlotte area courses that seem to get off from denying you simple, non-scary putts on every hole (*cough, cough* Renny, Nevin).

Not the most secluded, get-back-to-nature type course, you feel like you're in a park virtually at all times.
Other Thoughts: I've heard some complaints about some holes being gimmicky but I didn't really see it that way, but I only played the short tees for a full 18 and then the longs from 1-7 and then the alternate loop 8 & 9.

Feels like: The Front 9 feel like a more hilly Cedarock or a more open Glenburnie and the Back 9 feels like a mountainous Castle Hayne or Hornet's Nest.

Score Justification: Phenomenal is a strong word. The course is very good and the views of the mountainsides are splendid but I feel like the cons I listed hold it back ever so slightly from being a 4.5-5.0. It's definitely a must-play and I'd be very proud of this course if it was my home though. I will definitely hit this course up from all the longs eventually and then the rating might scoot up but for now I think it's the best 4.0 course I've ever played, more like a 4.40.

Side Note: I ate at the Hardees in Jefferson and I think every dude in there had the circa 1988 Jose Canseco style bowl-cut. Pure awesomesauce.

The Real Heart of the High Country

5+    7/10/2010   7/13/2010
Review By: Sloanwilliamson
Pros: If you want to go to a course to play some true mountain golf, this is the place to be. You can't beat the views from many of the tee pads. Number nine is breathtaking. There is a great variety of shots and the whites and blues change the course completely. The course layout is also excellent. Paths are well defined and it's very easy to navigate to every hole.
Cons: If you are not used to mountain golf then get ready. It is quite a hike on the back nine, especially up to 15. Don't let it discourage you, it is well worth the hike to play this awesome course.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my top two favorite courses in Western NC. You can't beat the views anywhere. With scenic Mount Jefferson as the backdrop for this course, I would stack this course against any on the east coast.

Hard to Beat

5+    6/29/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: hankdabank
Pros: -Beautiful park.
-Very demanding from the long tees.
-Requires every shot in your bag and then some.
-Will turn you into a good player.
-Course management REQUIRED.
-A lot of work went into making this course what it is.
Cons: -It's in the middle of nowhere.
-No other courses nearby.
Other Thoughts: This course has an AVERAGE rating of 4.5 for a reason. It is one of the most beautiful, well-designed courses that I have ever had the pleasure of playing. Ashe County has cemented itself in my top 5. Play in the fall for a truly amazing experience, the changing leaves are gorgeous.

BEST COURSE IN NC!!!!!!!

2-4    7/29/2009   3/29/2010
Review By: mhdisc03
Pros: CANT GIVE THIS COURSE ENOUGH CREDIT!thank you innova and harold duval for painting this beautiful picture known as west jefferson dgpark.my first thoughts upon entering this park was mesmorising. it has every type of shot possible. over water, around water, long woods to short open, long open to short woods, double mando. mostly one set of pads with am and pro baskets(pro r blue) but a couple have both pro pad and basket. hole 9 and 18 are great 500 - 600 ftshooting out of the woods 300ft up with no tree limbs shooting into the grass covered fairway. the trees are 200 feet tall with no limbs so its like the coolest fair way in the worlod.THROW A MIDRANGE OR PUTTER ON 18 PRO. its 400 feet down and mountain golf will teach you down hills and up hill. throw your biggest driver going up hill. not tight at all just very shoot demanding. a few holes its a reven of 400ft down if uslip off the pad of miss throw ur disc.best to play with a local if you can for they can show you the bad spots, i was lucky enough to do that. i played to games in the middle of july and didnt drink half a bottle of water. no humidty there, cause we played ashville the day b4 and it was 90+. but in july its like 72 degrees fn nice!!!!!!! the more people you play with the better there. we played to rounds of doubles and hav never had so much fun laughing and every one(including myself) hiting trees :) try to get there early to play to games .
Cons: in middle of no wear if you hardcore get a motel room you wont be let down best course in nc hands down!!!!
Other Thoughts: has running water a SHATE PARK BRING UR BOARD crystal clear pond u can swim for ur disc in awsome.

A+

2-4    9/9/2009   3/9/2010
Review By: zacharypower7
Pros: Excellent use of elevation. Beautiful course with unique hole layouts. very relaxed park. Perfect setting for disc golf, secluded,quiet, every hole is scenic it seems. Elevation changes on some holes are unreal. A little bit of water to keep things interesting but good shots are generally never in danger of going in the drink (other than the small creek but discs are easily retrieved from this hazard at least).
Cons: Difficult course in a good way(the difficulty of the course helps keep you from getting bored more than it discourages). Very challenging but not impossible to end up at par. you are supposed to turn in any discs found in the pond (other than your own) to ashe county parks.
Other Thoughts: Long hike and sort of out in the middle of nowhere. but for some that might be the best part.

Elevation!

5+    2/26/2010   2/26/2010
Review By: _.-Dut-._
Pros:
- Multiple Teepads
- Great use of Terrain and elevation
- Variety of shots.
- Easy to Navigate
- Great Amenities
- Beautiful Mountain Area
Cons:
Not often I play a course and have no Cons. As others have said it can get a little slippery after a rain and the course is a work out hiking, but neither should deter anyone from experiencing this course.
A very well designed course in a beautiful mountain setting. The course requires a great variety of shots with a mixture of open holes and tight fairways. Even with the tight fairways the risk/reward of the course is very fair, as well as a good course for newer players thanks to the multiple teepads. I heard that the course was a top 10 in the state so I made the 2 hour drive to see what it was about and wasnt dissappointed. Truly a wonderful course and well worth the drive to see for yourself.

2-4    11/10/2009   11/15/2009
Review By: Mcswainmj
Pros: Absolutely amazing course! First few holes fairly easy and then it turns into a beast of a course! Good job of making every hole a little different! Beautiful mountain and beautiful weather! Gives you a good hike while playing.
Signs very helpful, all holes very easy to find!
Cons: Some wooded areas have some annoying trees in the way! haha but really no cons at all for this course! Some poison ivy but not too bad
Other Thoughts: Overall Fantastic course!! Not too hard to find in Ashe county and well worth trip. Great times always!

Wear good shoes cause its a lot of walking!

Phenomenal

1    10/24/2009   11/2/2009
Review By: skamasterhenrik
Pros: Review based on the amateur/white length:
-Course is in great condition e.g. tees, pins, fairways, woods, etc.
-Plenty of benches, trash cans, and other amenities on site
-thehighcountrydiscgolfclub.com has downloadable score cards that print as a scorecard/map on one page and as a detailed map on the other, nice touch.
-Two sets of tees with two sets of pins offers great variety in the course
-The scenery here is absolutely amazing, your playing in the mountains after all
-Shot selection here is excellent and the variety of shots that you'll throw is unparalleled: monster drives, accurate shots, downhill, uphill, right/left, etc.
-Holes #8 and #9 offer an alternate tee/pin so that you don't have to trek up the mountain
-Holes #9 and #18
-Course design is wonderful and fairly fluid throughout
-Risk/reward is absolutely top notch with kind of goes hand in hand with design
Cons: Honestly, I can't think of any cons. Listed are potential 'drawbacks' for some:
-Course location, hey you can't have it all. It is secluded and it is in the mountains therefore it isn't entirely accessible.
-Not for beginners. I'm not saying that a beginner can't come out and enjoy themselves, but I would have found it frustrating if this was my first time out.
-The trek up and down and up and down the mountainside.
-Mountains can offer up a bit of wind. My round had to contend with 30mph gusts. Frustrating to say the least.
Other Thoughts: Memorable holes (mentioned here are the some of the best too):
#5: I enjoyed this one because of the pin location. Nestled in a little clearing in the woods, the pin is accessible off the tee with a small creek guarding the "green".
#8 Original: Uphill shot doesn't even begin to describe this hole. Straight uphill 231 foot drive. It will eat up your D off the tee.
#9: Well, its easily one of the best holes I've ever played. You sit on the mountainside with an extreme downhill shot. Your drive, ideally, will take you far out into a clearing where you'll have an open shot to the pin.
#12: If you like holes where its open AND downhill, then this is for you.
#13: Lovely sweeping right downhill shot that is a good birdie chance.
#16: Gauntlet hole will punish errant drives. This hole is tight, making the course variation here all the more apparent.
#18: Wait a minute, are we back at #9? No, this is 18. Pretty much a carbon copy of #9 which is fine because how many times do you get to throw 604 feet down a mountain into a clearing? Great way to finish.

Ashe County Park has a major advantage right off the bat: location. Its in the mountains so elevation and scenery is a given. Front nine is fairly open with the back nine offering up some of the best woods holes ever. The design here is brilliant, the condition of the course is immaculate and above all, Ashe County is an extremely fun place to play.

Best Course in NC

5+    7/22/2009   10/22/2009
Review By: Toomes
Pros: - The course is set in an absolutely beautiful park. Tons of elevation, water, open and wooded.
- Great use of the huge elevation changes.
- Great mixture of shots.
- 2 sets of tee pads that are fairly different pretty much making two distinct course.
- Short 9 hole loop if you don't want to take trek up the mountain on Hole 8 and 9. Alternative Holes 8 and 9 go back to the parking lot.
- Hole 3, 9, 15, and 18 are all signature holes. Hole 9 is one of my all time favorite holes.
- As of right now, this is my favorite course, designed by one of the best course designers Harold Duvall.
Cons: - A lot of people complain about hole 11. I think it's a very unique and interesting hole design that could have possibly been executed better. I love the out of the box design even if it can be an extremely frustrating hole.
- It is a physically demanding course. Tons of hiking and takes a good 2 hours to play the long tees.
Other Thoughts: This course is not talked about enough and not played enough. It's in a kind of remote location in the mountains of NC, so I guess I can understand it, but more people need to come play this course.

What an AWESOME Place

1    8/30/2009   8/30/2009
Review By: jackrbailey72
Pros: RIGHT out of the gate and MOST importantly...I want to thank the people who care for, designed, and have made this course what it is...an OUTSTANDING DG course. Here are my list of Pros:
- There are two courses, really...PRO and AM and I really appreciated that. We all know our limits, but you have the opportunity on every hole to make a decision.
- It takes so much effort to upkeep and maintain acreage this size...you guys are awesome. Holes 13-18 are a testament to the dedication the local club and the county take. These holes show the love.
- Tee pads were awesome, signage was awesome, and even the little X's in the steps going down hill on 9 and 18...nice touch!!
- PLENTY of risk/reward, even from the AM tees. This couse works every facet and makes you walk away KNOWING what you need to work on at the practice field.
- Technology....the club has the score card and course layout in pdf on line. I printed this out in case the score cards were out in the mailbox. I drover about 1.5 hrs to play today and I was glad to have had the card and layout to look at on the way over.
- MEMORABLE shots...9...my best drive ever...11...shooting through a keyhole in the trees...15...I shot from the PRO tees and man what a cool hole....
Cons: I can't dance around just a few comments/CONS-
* I really did not care for the front nine, with the exception of 3 and 6. The other holes were just okay...WHEN I go back, I will play the back nine twice...this is where the challenges are...the back nine holes are what die hards practice so much for...the front nine, in my opinion, would be a good beginners course.
Other Thoughts: ***I lost my beloved Discraft Stratuson 18...yellow disc. It made past the treeline break down below then we crazy left...if you find it, please call***
Other than losing my favorite driver (my fault, not anyone elses!!!) I loved this round of disc golf. This is a place where I will take my best friend when he comes into town (18 here and 18 at Warrior's Path would be one helluva weekend!!!). My 5 y/o daugher walked the entire couse with me and I mention this because it was safe, well maintaned, and allowed her to spend some quality time with her dad.