Brooksville, FL
The Quarry Golf Course Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #5 (Taken 9/2009)

Fun and quick 9, mix and match tee pads for a full round

1    11/15/2015   11/16/2015
Review By: t4nkd
Pros: Some really fun shots on this now closed ball golf course. Letting everything get overgrown seems to have helped create some challenge on lines to the basket. Not sure how accurate the scorecard measurements are supposed to be but many of the pins seemed closer than advertised. Hole 3 is super intimidating with a hyzer line over the quarry but super rewarding if you land in the circle. Hole 9 really made me look back and enjoy the day, breezy Florida weather looking back from the top of the hill behind #9 basket toward hole 1 and the rest of the course was an amazing feeling. Some random golfers I met after my round gave me a free beer when I was asking if there was a water fountain. Those guys rock.
Cons: Worst problem is finding which pin belongs to your tee, especially around #4 (pins for 4, 5, and 7 are all very near to each other).

Another problem was that the red tee on #9 had dead palm frawns hanging down over your line. It's almost impossible to throw a pure RHBH line toward the pin with them hanging where they are. #3 is scary as shit if you need to fetch a disc down in the overgrown quarry. I wouldn't recommend getting down into it but even if your disc is only 10-15' inside the hole it's really squirrely. The pin for #4 is kind of hard to find and the pad+pin for #6 was also a hell of a find (keep walking past the pin for #5 until you see the tiny pond on the back left, follow the path down until you see the rubber tee extending blue pad for #6).
Other Thoughts: Everything else about my round was pretty great. Made some sick birdies, particularly on #8 that I parked with a slight hyzer. Ran a birdie from about 200' on #7 and made a sick putt from about 40' after I confused #5 pin from #4 pad (oops, but, great putt). Only thing that kinda sucks is that the property is all closed, so trash, grooming the landscape except the grass, basket condition and signage is all a bit rough. I've been in maintained parks that have looked worse though, and the lines+elevation is really rare for Florida so definitely worth throwing if you're near by. Again, you can easily make a full 18 hole round by mixing blue/white/red tees.

Also, if you use the scorecard instead of the "course map" I think you'll have an easier time. In general it's pretty tricky to navigate if you've never been before but if you stick to the concrete path you'll inevitably find every tee pad. Every single pad is on the concrete path.

Warning This Course is Closed

2-4    10/18/2014   10/18/2015
Review By: Rogheff
Cons: Warning - This course is indefinitely closed. I tried to play twice this past month and the gates are locked on a beautiful Saturday morning. Upon returning home, I did some research to find that the course was recently sold with some problems arising from the sale. The village of Brooksville, old and new owners are in lawsuits according to the Tampa bay Times.
Other Thoughts: It is a shame really, because this is a nearby course for me in the winter and I actually rather enjoyed playing here.

The Peaceful Quarry

5+    3/22/2015   4/10/2015
Review By: JPgrotheer
Pros: Free now!!! No more ball golf it's strictly Disc golf now. Beautiful terrain and really peaceful out there. On hole 3 you have to throw over the big quarry hole it's pretty awesome but BEWARE!!!! Great elevation.
Cons: There are a few place your disc will be eaten. Holes 4,5,6 can get confusing to follow. Wish it was 18 holes
Other Thoughts: Follow the side walk and you should find the tee pads pretty easy. Hole 5 tee pad comes before 4 so pass 5 and then back track. And 6 is all the way on the other side just follow path around the back and you will find it. It's pretty easy after you play it once.

Fun Course

2-4    8/28/2014   9/1/2014
Review By: JCone
Pros: Facilities, in good shape, elevation shots, cart rental available, clean, staff at pro shop was cool. Friendly locals, Hole #9 may be one of my favorite shots of all time. Ball golfers were respectful.
Cons: 9 holes, I trouble finding the blue tees a couple of times, course navigation for hole 6 was awkward. Fee to play ($5),
Other Thoughts: Without a doubt my new favorite 9-holer!

You should see the Quarry once

1    2/1/2014   2/1/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: It's definitely worth playing at least once, for both the novelty of playing on a functioning golf course and for the scenic value. I've played on courses on old ball golf courses in several locations but this is definitely different. The holes are maintained as golf course holes, and it can have a cool effect, like how the basket for nine is directly behind the cup. When a hole works, especially 7, it's a great feeling. 7 is the longest hole on the course, and while much wider than most disc golf fairways, it's still a sweet dogleg right that allows an awesome drive off the tee.

The other quality holes here feature some serious elevation. (for Florida) 1 is uphill with a steep drop off to the right, and an even longer climb back up if are errant in that direction. 9 is the best hole here though. Like 7, it closely follows that actual golf hole. This one is downhill though, with a lot of room to air out and the pin right behind the, well, pin.

The quarry is also a cool feature. It may not be filled with water but it is definitely a carry as you aren't going down there so it provides serious risk. It's also very interesting in terms of vistas as it is a ways down. Very much adds to the course, and if it weren't for 9, would be the signature feature.
However, a lot of the holes aren't very well structured. Out of nine holes, I'd say four are pretty much duds. They just aren't shaped in interesting ways. They are fitted in around the ball gold course and it shows. Some of them are too short, others are not-a-golf-shots. Mostly, they just don't feel like proper holes. Here's a basket. There's a tee. Throw.

The biggest problem is the basket locations. When you play closer to the fairways, you don't play to the basket. You play, and then basket is stuck to the side. I wish they were all placed like 9. Behind the green. Even 7 has a disappointing finish, to the point that I didn't believe it was the correct basket at first. For the quarry hole, the tee is cool and the initial drive is fun, but after that the approach is meh.

It also flows terribly. There is a map and clear directions to find everything, but it just isn't laid out well for disc golf.
Other Thoughts: Still, I'd recommend playing it once, if mostly for the novelty. And I would recommend against the cart. At a place like Pine Oaks, it adds to the experience. I feel like the holes are so short here, And there are so many places you wouldn't be able to get the cart to, that having it would be more nuisance than anything else.

5+    4/8/2013   5/20/2013
Review By: owvanguard
Pros: This course is embedded into a ball golf par 3 course. Each of the 9 holes has one basket and three areas to throw from. Several of the holes play right next to or over the old quarry and the wind can be difficult to navigate but in a fun way.
Cons: I could next find on of the teeing areas for hole 1.
If disc goes in the quarry it is gone.
Other Thoughts: I have payer the minimal fee to play this course several times and it has great elevation changes that makes me keep coming back.

Interesting course

5+    2/25/2012   2/27/2012
Review By: Dana87
This review was updated on 1/25/2015
Pros: This was good for the interesting types of shots with some real hazards. For a beginner like myself throwing over the various quarries was exciting.

7 and 9 are real long holes. Hole 9 is a big downhill from the pro pads
Cons: Lost discs - You can lose discs in the quarry if you are not careful.

Tee Pads are lines on the cart path rather than real tee pads. Can be difficult to navigate since the pad for 8 is right near the basket for 5. On the cart path from 3 to 4 is the tee pad for 5, so you have to back track a little after 4.
Other Thoughts: The weekend of 1/17/15 the course was closed as a ball golf course. The county took over the property and it is now free to play. There are no more golf carts though. This could become part of Tom Varn park, right next door. Take care of the property and maybe it will.

1    8/21/2011   8/23/2011
Review By: Disc Jedi
Pros: An amazingly fun challenging course. I recomend bringing a full bag of disc becuase unless you throw with laser accurace you will lose at least 1 disc, but on the upside you get a free nature walk out of it lol. A beautiful course that I will be returning to. I highly recomend this one to anyone who lives in Hernando county, or who is visiting the area.
Cons: It costs money, whic sucks,. however you can see that the money it put right back into the course.
Other Thoughts: Do yourself a favor and check this one out at least once, and you wont be sorry!!!

Great Course

1    4/21/2011   4/23/2011
Review By: Bstewart11684
Pros: A very different experience. We get so used to "being in the rough" playing disc golf, that playing on manicured fairways with cart paths was a neat change. This course is beautiful. Reminded me of being in the mountains with the elevation changes and rough land in the quarry.

This course requires skill and thinking. The wind was very unpredictible the day that I played so I opted to play it safe and drive around the quarries instead of over.

Being able to rent a golf cart was not only a great plus, but almost a necessity due to the grade of some of the hills. Unless you enjoy a hardcore hike!
Cons: No tee pads, only lines spray painted on the cart path with approximations of where to tee from.

Some holes were hard to find, we ended up playing a little out of order because there was not a logical flow.

Don't try to rent a cart in late afternoon here in cetntral florida. They had to be back in by 415PM. Played all 9 holes in right at an hour with cart. A little pricy, but had I had more time, I would've played around again and gotten my money's worth. No way to get tired of this course.

One thing that was very challenging is that most of the holes ran along the sides of the traditional fairways. This means that you crossed in and out of the cart paths and had LOTS of pine trees and low canopies to deal with.
Other Thoughts: It was neat to play alongside golfers---and they were way more open to the "frisbee guys" than I thought they would be.

Definitely will play here again.

I've met my match.

1    12/5/2010   12/7/2010
Review By: Daddy_Dragon
Pros: Use of golf carts.
Tee offs were easy to find.
There were changes in elevation.
Well maintained greens.
Beautifull layout considering what it use to be.
Holes 1 and 9 had little canyons.
Holes 2, 3, and 4 had the Quarry to contend with with.
Cons: There were no concrete tee pads for Disk Golf. The map that was given to us indicated "Tee off around here". So my brother and I said the heck with it and shot off from the Ball Pro tee, which I assumed was not proper. But I did it anyway. Hole five was pathic (way too short, so my brother and I dumbed it up and threw our putters).
By the way, I lost two disks to the quarry. The top part of the quarry is covered in thick thorny brush and the walls are too steep & soft. Believe me, if you are to throw over the quarry, make sure you hit the bottom. The brush is an impossible place to retrieve a disk. If you throw to the bottom, at least you can walk between one and two and walk into the Quarry.
Other Thoughts: Yes this is a nine hole ball golf course, but it was pleasing to me to see Ball and Disk golfers playing side by side.

PS. Watch out for the wind. It plays tricks on the disks when you play over the Quarry. I lost my two disks (one on one and the other one three) because the wind made my disks do the complete opposite of what they were built to do. Prime example, number three, I threw my favorite "Avenger SS" over the Quarry, a short easy throw to the basket. The first time it hooked severe left and crashed into the fench by the out of bounds. The secouond time, the winds made it severely slice to the right and landed right in the middle of the thorny brush on the middle of the top Quarry. I love my Avenger SS, but I was not going to risk my life for it.

In short, it is a Fun Challenging course that provided good views from different elevation, But be carefull of the wind. It will mess up a simple shot over the Quarry. Best advice, play things safe, do not throw over the Quarry, throw to the side.