Brooksville, FL
The Quarry Golf Course Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #3 (Taken 9/2009)

Fun Course

2-4    8/28/2014   9/1/2014
Review By: JCone
Pros: Facilities, in good shape, elevation shots, cart rental available, clean, staff at pro shop was cool. Friendly locals, Hole #9 may be one of my favorite shots of all time. Ball golfers were respectful.
Cons: 9 holes, I trouble finding the blue tees a couple of times, course navigation for hole 6 was awkward. Fee to play ($5),
Other Thoughts: Without a doubt my new favorite 9-holer!

You should see the Quarry once

1    2/1/2014   2/1/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: It's definitely worth playing at least once, for both the novelty of playing on a functioning golf course and for the scenic value. I've played on courses on old ball golf courses in several locations but this is definitely different. The holes are maintained as golf course holes, and it can have a cool effect, like how the basket for nine is directly behind the cup. When a hole works, especially 7, it's a great feeling. 7 is the longest hole on the course, and while much wider than most disc golf fairways, it's still a sweet dogleg right that allows an awesome drive off the tee.

The other quality holes here feature some serious elevation. (for Florida) 1 is uphill with a steep drop off to the right, and an even longer climb back up if are errant in that direction. 9 is the best hole here though. Like 7, it closely follows that actual golf hole. This one is downhill though, with a lot of room to air out and the pin right behind the, well, pin.

The quarry is also a cool feature. It may not be filled with water but it is definitely a carry as you aren't going down there so it provides serious risk. It's also very interesting in terms of vistas as it is a ways down. Very much adds to the course, and if it weren't for 9, would be the signature feature.
Cons:
However, a lot of the holes aren't very well structured. Out of nine holes, I'd say four are pretty much duds. They just aren't shaped in interesting ways. They are fitted in around the ball gold course and it shows. Some of them are too short, others are not-a-golf-shots. Mostly, they just don't feel like proper holes. Here's a basket. There's a tee. Throw.

The biggest problem is the basket locations. When you play closer to the fairways, you don't play to the basket. You play, and then basket is stuck to the side. I wish they were all placed like 9. Behind the green. Even 7 has a disappointing finish, to the point that I didn't believe it was the correct basket at first. For the quarry hole, the tee is cool and the initial drive is fun, but after that the approach is meh.

It also flows terribly. There is a map and clear directions to find everything, but it just isn't laid out well for disc golf.
Other Thoughts: Still, I'd recommend playing it once, if mostly for the novelty. And I would recommend against the cart. At a place like Pine Oaks, it adds to the experience. I feel like the holes are so short here, And there are so many places you wouldn't be able to get the cart to, that having it would be more nuisance than anything else.

Chasm

5+    4/8/2013   5/20/2013
Review By: owvanguard
Pros: This course is embedded into a ball golf par 3 course. Each of the 9 holes has one basket and three areas to throw from. Several of the holes play right next to or over the old quarry and the wind can be difficult to navigate but in a fun way.
Cons: I could next find on of the teeing areas for hole 1.
If disc goes in the quarry it is gone.
Other Thoughts: I have payer the minimal fee to play this course several times and it has great elevation changes that makes me keep coming back.

Interesting course

1    2/25/2012   2/27/2012
Review By: Dana87
Pros: This was good for the interesting types of shots with some real hazards. For a beginner like myself throwing over the various quarries was exciting. My 9 year old daughter loved the golf cart.

7 and 9 are real long holes down hill.
Cons: We lost 3 discs. My daughter lost two on successive shots on hole 2. The discs had eyes for the quarry as one time she wasn't even shooting towards it. I lost mine shooting from 9 pro tee. You have to shoot down hill between two quarry areas and there is only a narrow fairway between them. My shot looked awesome, staying straight down the middle and all of a sudden hooked sharply and disappeared in the brush.

The tee areas aren't easily seen, especially hole #5, which is why I think a previous reviewer thought it was short. The ball golf hole is 74' but the disc hole from the pro tee is 250' through trees. However, they provided a score card with directions to where the tees were. I used a phone app for the first 9 and didn't notice this so I used the ball tees.
Other Thoughts: on the first 9 I was using the ball tees and I shot hole 4 from the ball tee and the only way to do that was to go over the quarry. Being a beginner, I wasn't sure I could make it, but I did and it was a great thrill.

We went on a Saturday afternoon and it was basically empty. We saw two groups of ball golfers and never had any problems with them.

1    8/21/2011   8/23/2011
Review By: Disc Jedi
Pros: An amazingly fun challenging course. I recomend bringing a full bag of disc becuase unless you throw with laser accurace you will lose at least 1 disc, but on the upside you get a free nature walk out of it lol. A beautiful course that I will be returning to. I highly recomend this one to anyone who lives in Hernando county, or who is visiting the area.
Cons: It costs money, whic sucks,. however you can see that the money it put right back into the course.
Other Thoughts: Do yourself a favor and check this one out at least once, and you wont be sorry!!!

Great Course

1    4/21/2011   4/23/2011
Review By: Bstewart11684
Pros: A very different experience. We get so used to "being in the rough" playing disc golf, that playing on manicured fairways with cart paths was a neat change. This course is beautiful. Reminded me of being in the mountains with the elevation changes and rough land in the quarry.

This course requires skill and thinking. The wind was very unpredictible the day that I played so I opted to play it safe and drive around the quarries instead of over.

Being able to rent a golf cart was not only a great plus, but almost a necessity due to the grade of some of the hills. Unless you enjoy a hardcore hike!
Cons: No tee pads, only lines spray painted on the cart path with approximations of where to tee from.

Some holes were hard to find, we ended up playing a little out of order because there was not a logical flow.

Don't try to rent a cart in late afternoon here in cetntral florida. They had to be back in by 415PM. Played all 9 holes in right at an hour with cart. A little pricy, but had I had more time, I would've played around again and gotten my money's worth. No way to get tired of this course.

One thing that was very challenging is that most of the holes ran along the sides of the traditional fairways. This means that you crossed in and out of the cart paths and had LOTS of pine trees and low canopies to deal with.
Other Thoughts: It was neat to play alongside golfers---and they were way more open to the "frisbee guys" than I thought they would be.

Definitely will play here again.

I've met my match.

1    12/5/2010   12/7/2010
Review By: Daddy_Dragon
Pros: Use of golf carts.
Tee offs were easy to find.
There were changes in elevation.
Well maintained greens.
Beautifull layout considering what it use to be.
Holes 1 and 9 had little canyons.
Holes 2, 3, and 4 had the Quarry to contend with with.
Cons: There were no concrete tee pads for Disk Golf. The map that was given to us indicated "Tee off around here". So my brother and I said the heck with it and shot off from the Ball Pro tee, which I assumed was not proper. But I did it anyway. Hole five was pathic (way too short, so my brother and I dumbed it up and threw our putters).
By the way, I lost two disks to the quarry. The top part of the quarry is covered in thick thorny brush and the walls are too steep & soft. Believe me, if you are to throw over the quarry, make sure you hit the bottom. The brush is an impossible place to retrieve a disk. If you throw to the bottom, at least you can walk between one and two and walk into the Quarry.
Other Thoughts: Yes this is a nine hole ball golf course, but it was pleasing to me to see Ball and Disk golfers playing side by side.

PS. Watch out for the wind. It plays tricks on the disks when you play over the Quarry. I lost my two disks (one on one and the other one three) because the wind made my disks do the complete opposite of what they were built to do. Prime example, number three, I threw my favorite "Avenger SS" over the Quarry, a short easy throw to the basket. The first time it hooked severe left and crashed into the fench by the out of bounds. The secouond time, the winds made it severely slice to the right and landed right in the middle of the thorny brush on the middle of the top Quarry. I love my Avenger SS, but I was not going to risk my life for it.

In short, it is a Fun Challenging course that provided good views from different elevation, But be carefull of the wind. It will mess up a simple shot over the Quarry. Best advice, play things safe, do not throw over the Quarry, throw to the side.

1    5/24/2009   7/24/2009
Review By: Upshot
Pros: The fairways were mowed. You can rent a cart . Hole #5 was cool.You have to throw about 300 ft over a deep ravine to the basket. Hole # 9 was the best. Down hill then up a rise at about 750 ft.
Cons: The disc aspect of the golf course was an after thought. It's a 9 hole executive golf course after all. The tee pads were hard to find even with a map.Hole # 1 didn't have a pad at all. I was directed to a general location and told to throw from there. There was no signage. In the end it was not worth the $ and effort. Floral City is just up the road , it's free and a much nicer course.

1    12/28/2008   1/10/2009
Review By: biscoe
Pros: Plays along a tiny (some of the dg holes are longer than the ball golf holes) executive ball golf course. Excellent finishing hole down into the old quarry and back up. Makes decent use of available features.
Cons: Plays along a tiny executive ball golf course. Only 9 holes. Tees are sometimes hard to find. Flatter than expected from the name. Holes are not all that interesting besides 1,7, and 9.
Other Thoughts: Pay to play, carts available. Course is predominantly on top of the old quarry with HEAVY schule if you go down and in on a couple of holes- shots do need to be errant to get there though.

Fun 9 holer on golf course!

1    6/6/2004   6/6/2008
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 5/4/2011
Pros: This course is very pretty with some huge elevation changes and great vistas on an old rock quarry.

Golf carts are available, making for a very relaxing experience.

The course requires a bit of power, a bit of technical skill, and a bit of strategy. Overall it's only moderately challenging, but just plain a lot of fun.

Although there are only 9 holes, with a cart you'll want to play it over and over and over. It just never seems to get boring.

Just down the road from the Sun King Discs warehouse - be sure to stop by before your round and say "Hi" to Mike and Brandy.
Cons: There are several places where discs can go bye-bye into the deep canyons.

No signage and no tee pads. Each hole requires that you kind of guess where to tee off.
Other Thoughts: Remember: Don't be a dirty disc golfer. If you pack it in, pack it out!