Arlington, TX
Veteran's Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #10 (Taken 3/2013)

Drivers Course

5+    6/3/2008   6/3/2011
Review By: ezyrider
Pros: Incredibly fun course to play. Gorgeous park with mature trees and rolling hills. Solid mix of mid to long range holes. Great use of elevation changes within park.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Eat your wheaties and bring plenty of water.

My favorite in DFW

5+    5/9/2011   5/16/2011
Review By: Notorious21
This review was updated on 6/29/2011
- Great variety of shots - long, short, flat, elevation, trees, open, hyzers, anhyzers, and combinations there of.
- No water hazards to lose a disc.
- Nice concrete tee pads and signs.
- Hard to navigate the front 9 without help.
This is my favorite course in DFW because of all the variety. It never gets boring because each hole is challenging in a different way.

very good course

1    1/24/2011   1/24/2011
Review By: z boaz ace 22
Pros: good course for an experienced disc golfer with good arm it has great elevation changes and tricky shots will test you on every hole only one short hole not a lot of traffic
Cons: all tho veterans is a very good course it is not well marked and hard to navigate and there are horse that get in the way and a guy with a ram named ed that followed on a bike
Other Thoughts: fun course to play kinda in a bad part of town

Roughin' it at 'The Vet'

5+    10/27/2010   11/3/2010
Review By: sheamous
This review was updated on 11/5/2010
Pros: Technical lines all over. I love this course because I need a lot of shots in my bag to make a great score. Lots of variance for only par 3's, short to very long. Great use of scrub shrub vegetation and terrain. At some points you feel like you are in a western with all the cactus, yucca and rocky arroyos, but then you walk out into the rest of the oak filled park and open grassy expanses. Lots of places to use hook-thumbers, side-arms, and plenty of space to bomb down hills from elevated tees. I love the multiple pin placements. Great tee pads, they are redoing all of them. Not much water involved, only on a couple of holes. This course has a very secluded feel to it, which I view as a plus.
Cons: Not many holes that are easy to run for aces. Some of the very long par 3's could be made into par 4's. You really need someone who has played here to help guide you to the baskets (i.e. holes four - eight). Signage could be better, but I just read an article from the Funky Town Flyers news letter that talked about a new grant for The Vet to get new signs. This course has a reputation of eating discs, but if you go out with a local they should be able to advise you where to throw to avoid losing discs. Personally I've never lost a disc here. Bring lots of water, there is a place to stop for water at a pavilion east of hole #11. You'll need it if it's hot, which it normally is. Tee pads are a bit short for my giant legs, probably fine for most wee folk.
Other Thoughts: This course is a must play, one of the oldest DGCs and best layouts in DFW. The best aspect of this course is the locals and lifers that play here, they are always willing to lend a hand to find a disc or give new comers directions through the wilderness. In fact, if anyone needs a guide let me know, I might be available on Saturdays. Also, can't wait to watch some pros at the VPO this weekend.

Veterans in the Summer

5+    8/22/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: j0atz
This review was updated on 1/25/2011
Pros: - Teepads are in good condition (a lot of them have been redone in the past couple months) and fitting to the type of shot mostly.

- Multiple pin positions

- Great layout with varying shots (Open, Elevation, Spikes, distance) well balanced in my opinion.

- Not to crowded ususally
Cons: Not too much to say here. It can get pretty hot in the summer down in the valley with no wind or shade...but I guess that is also good for disc flight!

It's a bit hard to navigate at first but after playing it once I didn't have a problem getting around.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. A lot of varying shots...just very well balanced I think. **Edited this review since ratings because I didn't really know the "guidelines" for reviewing when I first made it**

Above Average

2-4    5/7/2009   7/17/2010
Review By: grizzledizzle55
Pros: -Awesome elevation changes
-Mix of many shots
-I love the tee pads
-Well maintained
-Creative layout
Cons: -What were the designers thinking on a few holes? I think there were a few holes I would have designed different. Personal dilemma
-Not good for novice players.
-A little hot, bring sunscreen
Other Thoughts: I have mixed feelings about this course. I like it and I don't like it at the same time. In my case, I played great for most of the day, but on one hole, when I threw a perfect drive, I lost a disc. I believe it was hold 4 or five. I just don't like the fact that you can throw a great long drive and it ends up in a bush because there is no fairway. All in all, this is a good course. It gets more open toward the back nine. If you are any good you will appreciate this course, but you will respect it as well.

Challenging, but Rewarding

1    6/19/2010   6/23/2010
Review By: allenbosox
Pros: Great elevation changes. Challenging holes. Great scenery - Friendly locals (I had no problem finding someone to join with that knew the course layout). Great length and a variety of shots. I only carry 9 discs, but I used all of them. Easy to find the park.
Cons: Only two: Very hot, with little shade - bring water when it's hot!
Can be difficult to navigate. Click the links tab and print out a course map.
Other Thoughts: The most challenging course I have played thus far, which is good. If you are better than the course, you won't improve much. This course is better than most Disc golfers. I play close to par at other local courses (Bear Creek, Lake Lewisville). I played probably +18 here, although the first time on a course is always the most difficult.

5+    5/26/2010   5/26/2010
Review By: r_raccuglia
Pros: This coarse has lots of great shots that will test your game. It is one of the best coarses in the metroplex for sure. The park is well maintained.
Cons: Bring your big shot discs cause your going to need them. There can be a crowd of beginers to slow up your game at times. Also bring water when the temp is high due to lack of shade.
Other Thoughts: I started playing on this coarse from the begining and consider it to be my home coarse.

Still a Tough one

2-4    5/25/2010   5/26/2010
Review By: AequitasVeritas
This review was updated on 6/28/2010
Pros: -Really makes you work on your accuracy
-Beautiful scenery. Some of the holes are just absolutely breathtaking
-Locals are pretty cool.
-The gas station on 12 has water and gatorade and discs.
-One of the most challenging front 9's I have played
-You will need every shot you have to succeed.
-Spectacular views on the entire front 9.
-Great use of elevation, especially in DFW
Cons: -Can be very crowded on the weekends.
-Very easy to lose badly thrown discs on the front 9. Especially 5-7.
-Snakes are active. Found a few snake skins and a live one.
-Park closes at 11 pm. And they do lock the gates at 11 pm. So watch out if you were night golfing.
Other Thoughts: As much as this course eats me and spits me back out, I keep coming back for more. The course is very unforgiving to errant shots, but rewards greatly for well placed shots. I will be coming back for more! They have mini's weekly and I think that I will definitely have to check it out.

I absolutely love the front 9. The first 3 holes are quite deceiving on the difficulty of the next 6. Hole 5 is a straight bomb downhill with plenty of trees to grab your shot if you miss your line. But if you do hit your line, it is greatly rewarded with an easy par. Holes 6 and 7 are uphill battles with plenty of scrub and trees guarding the baskets. Holes 8 and 9 open up a little bit, but still have trees guarding the easy lines.

Hole 11 is one of my favorites. Easiest way to get par or a birdie is to flick it or throw a RH backhand anhyzer. The only problem with that is the wall of trees in your way. I've birdied it a few times, but mostly I bogie it thanks to the trees knocking my shot away. Great hole.

The final hole is quite a finisher. Usually the basket is on the hill to the right. A high running flick or anhyzered backhand is good, as long as you have good distance on it. Otherwise, you are stuck in the trees and brush and it makes par a challenge.

All in all, I love this course. Can't wait til I can go back for some more punishment.

Great, challenging course!

5+    4/9/2010   4/11/2010
Review By: domingomadagascar
This review was updated on 5/3/2010
Pros: Great course, requires all shots, lots of challenging pin positions and it is a great work out too.
Cons: Challenging for beginners. I would recommend playing minis tees first. Lots of debree that might not be kid friendly.
Other Thoughts: This is the course that teaches you how to play long accurate and develop every variety of shot. I love it. I play it 4 times a week.