Arlington, TX
Veteran's Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #5 (Taken 3/2013)

The Vet

5+    11/13/2011   11/14/2011
Review By: saldawg13
Pros: Veterans Park is one of my favorite courses in the metroplex, partly because it is my home course. The park has great variation of shots and elevation change. The new tees signs are amazing and many holes have newer tee pads. The walk through the park is a nice little nature hike and the scenery is always awesome. The Vet offers intermediate players a great place to hone their skills. And if played from the many champion tees can even give seasoned pros a run for their money.
Cons: The only con about veterans is that for people playing there their first time it can be easy to get lost. However most of the locals will be more than happy to help new player navigate the course without getting lost. I myself have help many people get through the course. During the summer and fall it can be easy to lose a disc if your not careful but if you spend enough time looking one should be able to find it.
Other Thoughts: The vet can chew beginning players up real fast until they learn the lines to throw. I have been playing Veterans for a little over a year just as long as I have been playing. And I have never broke even par on the regular tee layout. ( I have been close before) But if you learn all the champion tees and the short tees this course will provide plenty of new challenges and loads of fun for ever player level.

A Great Variety of Holes

1    11/12/2011   11/14/2011
Review By: austoroc
Pros: The technical variety in your shot selections will be required for many of the holes here. It makes things very interesting and fun.

The long, big, open holes really do balance out all of the shorter holes. For the strong arms, these big holes will be a lot of fun!

The basket placements are really nice. For example, I was glad that the basket was hidden into the tree on hole 1 rather having it being put in the open field.

Hole 4 through 7, I thought, was pretty nice with different lines (shots) you can take. These are definitely more technical.

I can see that there are some new tee boxes on many of the holes, and they are really big. It makes your ability to do a run-up much easier. I also noticed that, from the comments, the tee signs are relatively new too.

I thought the tee signs, as they were, are pretty good and well-designed.
Cons: My main problems with this course are consisting of two things.

First of all, the navigation is a bit tricky. I played with a friend who have played the course in the past, which made it easier. However, if I played by myself, I could see myself getting a bit confused. Incorporating "Next Tee" signs on at least few holes may be beneficial.

Second thing: the baskets. It appeared to me that they were new? I really thought the baskets were sub-par in quality. I also didn't think they were regulation-size? I also fond it odd that the baskets were spray-painted? Few of my discs got the silver paint all over them due to hitting the baskets.
Other Thoughts: This course definitely have a fun factor to it. It has the elevation changes, different lines to the baskets, a mix of open and tight holes, and you can't get too bored playing this course.

Who is this for? I think the more experienced players will enjoy this course more, mainly because of the technical holes. Newbies may get frustrated with all the trees/elevation changes coming into play and the wind on the big, long holes.

I did not see any alternate tee pads. I thought with the alternate pin placements that this course might also have alternate tee pads. (i.e. championship tees or amateur tee pads) I think this would help give more playing options for newbies and seasoned pros.

I'll definitely come back here again and again. It's a lot of fun.

Great Course to hone your game

5+    10/23/2011   10/23/2011
Review By: araytx
This review was updated on 10/3/2013
Pros: Outstanding variation and need to utilize everything in your bag. Multiple pin placements make it never boring to re-play and the local club makes reasonably regular changes. There are bomber holes, technical holes, elevation both up & down, boles where you MUST hit the landing zone to make the 3, a couple true par fours when pins in certain positions, over the top holes, roller holes, birdie holes that are not "gimmes", and pretty much everything else. And if that doesn't hit your fancy are you play it often, learn where the championship tee boxes are for holes 1, 2, 5, 8, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, and 18.
Cons: If you're not familiar with the course, it can be hard to find the next tee on 3-11, even with brand new accurate tee signs; the bathrooms by 1/5 and 15/17 are rarely unlocked; the up/down on 4 through 8 will tax you, especially on a hot day;
Other Thoughts: Par 4 is more accurate on 1-B position, 3-C position, and championship tee's 1, 2, 8, 12, 17, and 18. New trapezoid tee boxes for about a year now have made a marked improvement. Ovcrall a great course with plenty of challenge. You need to score well to compete (stay under 54), but that makes every throw count here. YOu truly cannot afford bogeys and still score well.

Best of both worlds

1    10/19/2011   10/23/2011
Review By: adamlamar
Pros: Most courses claim to offer "varied terrain" but Verteran's Park takes it to a whole new level. The first three holes play in and out of the treeline next to a large open field. Then you'd better have brought your hiking boots, because you'll be trekking up and down some rocky terrain filled with short, spindly trees for the next few holes. The back nine opens back up and the remaining trees have way less undergrowth to choke out your vision. Good use of elevation and plenty of holes for you to really let loose you arm.
Cons: Although it wasn't impossible to navigate, I think I skipped a hole somewhere between 6 and 8. The course seemed like it was going through a renovation in parts. Some of the numbers on the baskets don't correspond with the hole number, and some of them weren't where they were marked on the course map. "Next Tee" signs would also be helpful.
Other Thoughts: Even getting lost, this course is amazing. It's one of my favorites. I'm sure most local know, but if you're in from out-of-town, stop by the Quick Stop on your way to the course (3100 W. Arkansas Ln.). Awesome disc selection and awesome people.

Pain followed by pleasure

1    10/22/2011   10/22/2011
Review By: chalos13
Pros: This course makes the most of what the park has to offer. Lots of elevation changes, the holes that cut through trees have decent sized fairways, and theres a tee sign at every hole. The back nine is excellent, playing up and down gentle hills making the most of every shot.
Cons: The front half can be tough to navigate. Playing up and down hills that are a good hike, if you go the wrong way you end up backtracking uphill, and wearing yourself out even more. Hole 3 and 1 almost share a fairway, so if its crowded you could have problems. 6 and 7 run paralell uphill, so finish 6, go back down, throw and climb the hill again. Frojm there 8 is nearly impossible to find without help, go left and down the hill a way you haven't been, take a left at the path, and a right at the cutout in the rock.
Other Thoughts: The front half was laid out well, but it was exhausting, and then we got lost so we walked more than we had to. The back half is one of my favorites in texas. The hot summer has made the ground very dry amd pacaked, its gonna chew up your discs, but you could get some good rollers. The open fairways and uphil shots make wind a real problem here.

My First Time Was Here

2-4    9/15/2011   9/17/2011
Review By: Paulie
Pros: 18 baskets. Well built tee boxes. Maps at each tee box. Amazing terrain. Tight shots in the woods to long drives in fields.
Cons: None. Well, we did find what looked like an old bum camp and you can tell people have gone off into the woods to do things other than play disc golf. We didn't have any problems though.
Other Thoughts: My first two rounds were played here. One throw and I was hooked. Once we got a few holes in, I had swallowed the hook. This place is gorgeous! Drought be darned. It's a forest in a city. We saw a real live roadrunner. There is some steepish walking to do in the woods. All the more fun. It's like hiking meets disc golf. I'll admit, part of my rating is due to being blown away by this existing in Arlington.

Veterans Park

5+    6/30/2011   7/1/2011
Review By: flapjack
Pros: This course is very challenging! You get a great workout and the people are usually very nice and helpful.
Cons: It is very easy to lose your disc at this course, try and throw bright orange and bright pink discs in the summer. No walking distance stores. This course is usually overcrowded.
Other Thoughts: If you want to get good fast, play this course often! It is very hard to even par most holes, good luck!

HOT!

1    6/16/2011   6/27/2011
Review By: mgcarney
Pros: There were great tee boxes here with nice detailed signs. The course was relatively easy to follow. It offers nice open shots and some small shots. It also has some long mixed with short.
Cons: The course seemed to stay too short for a long stretch. Toward the end, most holes were small and not very difficult. There is also some pretty wicked brush that is easy to lose a disc in.
Other Thoughts: I am not a texan. Far from it. I am from Nebraska. When I played, it was 109 degrees and humid. I tried to play through it, but ended up suffering heat exhaustion. I couldn't live in that heat. Tip: Play in Texas in the winter.

Drivers Course

5+    6/3/2008   6/3/2011
Review By: ezyrider
Pros: Incredibly fun course to play. Gorgeous park with mature trees and rolling hills. Solid mix of mid to long range holes. Great use of elevation changes within park.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Eat your wheaties and bring plenty of water.

My favorite in DFW

5+    5/9/2011   5/16/2011
Review By: Notorious21
This review was updated on 6/29/2011
Pros:
- Great variety of shots - long, short, flat, elevation, trees, open, hyzers, anhyzers, and combinations there of.
- No water hazards to lose a disc.
- Nice concrete tee pads and signs.
Cons:
- Hard to navigate the front 9 without help.
This is my favorite course in DFW because of all the variety. It never gets boring because each hole is challenging in a different way.