Paw Paw, WV
Whippin' Post Share
Uploaded By: Qikly Hole #16 (Taken 6/2014)
Hole #16 Approach: Basket behind trees, completely encircled.

Awesome!

1    8/15/2011   2/17/2012
Review By: crystal haze
Pros: Variety of long, open, wooded. The shot across the ravine is cool. Great drive just to get to the course. Not far from Berkeley Springs, WV if you are not camping at Paw Paw. That made it easy for me to bring my family and bust away for a half day to play.
Cons: Some signs are fairly weathered, but decent. I didn't have a chance to play the 2nd course of the two on this same property, but heard from others that some of the wooded shots were more luck than skills as I've read in other reviews. I did not find that to be the case with Whipping Post at all.
Other Thoughts: I met a group of guys who were camping there. Seemed like an ideal long-weekend place to go and play, then jump in the lake and fish out discs.

1    8/2/2010   8/17/2010
Review By: jkdisc
This review was updated on 6/25/2012
Pros: The Whippin' Post is a tough, challenging, and fun course. This course has many of the same pros as The Woodshed as far as beautiful mountain scenery since they are right next to each other. The property owners are great people, the 5$ to play is worth it.

Course Pros:
-long open shots and tightly wooded technical shots
-great use of land and elevation
-risk/reward including water hazard and challenging fairways
-well maintained
-arrows pointing to the next tee
-secluded and peaceful

There is onsite camping available is a huge bonus!

Camping Pros:
-5$ per person is a bargain
-soft grass for sleeping and walking barefoot

I star-gazed for a long time, the sky was brightly lit with so many stars, more than I ever remember seeing before. It was amazing and I must have seen half a dozen shooting stars.
Cons: The narrow road into the courses can be scary, especially driving in at night like I did. It is far away from most of civilization but it keeps it more secluded and you do get 2 first classes courses. Spend the night, it's just easier that way!

-beginners may get frustrated
-tee signs aren't very good (bring a map and you will be fine)
Other Thoughts: My two favorite holes were #9 and #18. 9 is an amazing shot across a large ravine. 18 is a downhill shot with a large, clean pond before the basket. I chose to lay up before the pond (my arm is not ready to go for it yet!) The greenery grows in alot thicker than the pictures let on. Bring all your food/drink/supplies because you are not going to want to run out for anything. The Paw Paw courses are worth the trek!

The more technical of the twin Paw Paws

2-4    5/16/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: jblough
Pros: - Lots of wooded shots. This course is the more technical of the two Paw Paw courses IMO. Like the Woodshed, many of them require a tight fairway driver and of course, several miracles!

- Immaculately manicured greens (I don't know how Spencer does it) and amazing scenery make for one of the most beautiful courses in the world!

- Great par 4's that really test your ability.

- Spencer and Gabby are amazing hosts, as usual. Take advantage of the area and camp over a night!

- Notable holes:

#1 is not so much notable for its length of difficulty, but rather for the amazing bamboo that guards you to the right. Very unique and scenic!

#6 is a super long drive (~800 feet) that leads to a well-guarded pin placement. The best test of arm strength.

#9 is my favorite hole on the course. It's a drive across a super steep ravine. You drive off a tee and watch it sail across the wide expanse. The challenge here is that you have to get it uphill to the basket. Phenomenal!

#18 is a great way to finish. Can you clear the pond? Better have a nice tailwind to help.

- Best of all, it's just fun! Don't let the challenge keep you from having a blast!
Cons: - Like most of central WV, this area is almost completely detached from civilization.

- Signage and tees need some improvement. Many of the signs are laying down on the ground and the tees could use some gravel.

- Compared to the Woodshed, the holes seem a little more repetitive. There's a reason hole #13 is called the Twilight Zone! Others feel the same way, too. Many of the holes on the front nine seem kind of bunched together a bit.

- You will hit wood many times. They will ricochet. You will curse. However, can you really expect NOT to given the tree placement?

Other Thoughts: - It's very hard reviewing these courses individually, as it naturally seems like more of a comparison to the other than a true review. Take my word (and the word of the other reviewers) and see all 36 holes for yourself!

- The Whippin' Post is definitely one of the top 5 courses I've ever played. On a very small margin, it has a little less variety than the Woodshed, but it's still one of the most beautiful, challenging, and serene locations in the DG universe.

Twin Sister is Just as Pretty and Mean

1    7/18/2003   12/22/2008
Review By: optidiscic
This review was updated on 10/23/2009
Pros: Like the Woodshed, the whipping post has many tight wooded holes and many open bobmbs that demand a precise landing to score well. Variety of holes that utilize elevation, water, trees, and length to extreme degrees. What I love is that it is built without short pin placements. So unlike other courses, every time you play here it's gonna be really challenging and you will always get the ultimate PAW PAW experience. I also enjoy the dramatic ravine holes of the whipping post. You can place a precise drive across the chute like fairway or you can hit a tree, wap wap, and end up losing both elevation and a clear path. Just plain mean but like a sucker I loved it. I imagine it's funny to see top players bitch and moan just like the rest of us. I agree with the mantra here. You can take a tree out easily but putting one in is tough. Keep your head and play smart and you will be rewarded. If you get cocky you will be humbled. I was conservative and humbled but I enjoyed the challenge anyway. Also the open holes of whipping post are dramatic with elevation and the infamous swimming hole hole to finish your day. I also am amazed that not many discs are lost here due to minimal heavy underbrush/shule. Hole 9 is the greatest Disc Golf hole I have ever played. Wow! It's like your expecting the ewoks to come running out at any minute. It's a huge drive over a deep gorge to the other side and then up to a protected pin. One of the few fair fairways on the course!
Cons: Not much to say here. The woods will beat up your discs and ego. You need to bring your own food, drink, and supplies. But to me that is all part of the adventure and fun. I scored just as poorly on thewooded hell holes as I did 5 yrs ago when I was a relative noob. This shows that luck is needed moreso than skill. If Spence would just swallow his pride and just thin out some of the trees, not an overall clearing just maybe thin it out a bit I would be able to in good conscience keep Paw Paw a 5 but I have to be honest as great as some of the holes are the abundance of trees in the fairway (not off the fairway) really spoil this place.
Other Thoughts: I find myself making Paw Paw miniatures out of my mashed potatoes. Some say I am obsessed with the place. I would just dare anyone who has not made the trip to take the time to experience it just once and see how they feel afterwards. In the meantime, pass the potatoes.

More woods than the woodshed

2-4    9/1/2008   9/9/2008
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: Everything I mentioned in the Woodshed review about the place/scenery/camping/experience plus...

More great holes: my favorite is #18: throwing downhill 400' with 385' needed to carry water - with spectators often watching. The dramatic elevation differences on some of the holes where you're throwing over a ravine are also great - on #11 & #9 especially....on these holes if you hit an early tree you lose 100'+ in elevation, making the hole MUCH longer.

Great maintenance - there is actually grass growing on the wooded fairways & no undergrowth - I was amazed at the upkeep & great condition of the course
Cons: IMHO, fairway tree removal on some of the holes could vastly improve this course. #10 (where?) is the best example of this - you know what i'm talking about if you've played here.....it just seemed like many of the holes were throw & hope. A perfect throw might get clobbered by a tree and a terrible drive might sneak through unscathed...bring your luck with you. A few less trees and this is one of the best courses ever, period.
Other Thoughts: I prefer woodshed over the whipping post, but as noted in other reviews, its a matter of preference. Whipping post seemed to have more birdie opportunities for a smaller arm, but isn't necessarily easier or harder, just different.

Bring your A-game & forehand/backhand rollers to this course