Amarillo, TX
Disc Creek DGC Share
Uploaded By: tolson Hole #5 (Taken 7/2011)

Decent park course

1    12/26/2012   1/14/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a large park with scattered mature trees. There are some minor rolling elevation changes that are used fairly well in the design. The trees are enough to make you place your shots well, and there are a handful of shots where you have to contend with a low ceiling or a smaller gap off the tee.

The creek comes into play on some holes, offering some nice risk/reward decisions with pins close to the water or flight paths where you have to go over or near the water to have a chance at birdie. There is nice distance variety, with some reachable holes and some longer shots where you can stretch out your arm. The tees are nice concrete pads, and the signs show both pin placements with distance and hole layout.
Cons: I would like to see an indication of the current pin placements on the tee signs or on the course map at the beginning of the course. On the longer holes or the spots where multiple baskets are in view it would be helpful to know where to shoot. The park is very open, so the course doesn't play very technical. It's more about shot placement without a ton of real line shaping required. The design does a nice job of using many of the more heavily treed areas, but it still offers lots of open tee shots and wide open approaches and greens.

There are a few spots where navigation is difficult, the course map at the beginning is decent, but a little hard to read. Something minor like painting a basket spoke to indicate direction to the next tee would go a long way.
Other Thoughts: Beginners might find the course a little long, but it doesn't eat discs and there's not a whole lot of punishment for errant shots. More experienced players will enjoy some chances to throw longer drives, and there are a few nice shots but it's a little too open to really challenge better players. There aren't a whole lot of courses in this area, so this is a good spot to stop and stretch your legs.

nothing great here

1    9/17/2009   9/17/2009
Review By: mrstiggy
This review was updated on 9/19/2009
Pros: Well.. what can I say about disc creek? its biggest plus is that its the only course within about a hundred miles, so if your me, and a disc golf junkie, play it as much as you can while you are in town. Disc golf courses fall into two categories in my eyes, city parks where they thought it would be a good idea to drop in some baskets, and actual courses. This one certainly falls into the city park category. Its mostly open with only a few trees here and there to mix up your game. There are definitive OBs to keep your game interesting, but the lack of tunnel shots leave you a bit board. Many holes are long and are willing to test your arm, but I would rather throw short and be challenged, then pushed to bomb. On a good note, for park in the armpit of Texas, it is for the most part litter free, and has plenty of trashcans for you to chuck your much needed beer to suffer a course of this caliber. In short its a fun course if you happen to be in the panhandle, but dont go out of your way to play it.
Cons: Seems decent as you huck your first one off 1, but you soon realize its not gonna get much better as you approach #2. If you shank it a little bit on 2 you will wind up in some water. The narrow drink that can catch your disc will make you think twice about battling the stink to get your favorite piece of plastic back. #3 is the easiest hole on the course, but if you over drive its short fairway, again you will find yourself in the stink water. On 4 you get to test your arm, but you also get to test the foul river. I dropped my JLS in here and found myself treading in high cloudy water with no luck of finding my disc. After you clear 4, there is not much for water hazards, but its just plain boring.
Other Thoughts: This would be a fantastic course if I lived in Amarillo and never exp. disc golf anywhere else, its enough to draw you into the sport, but if you enjoy good courses, only play if you are in town.

Thompson park

1    1/23/2009   1/23/2009
Review By: Myers
Pros: This course has a good mixture of long and short holes and has some well placed pins to add difficulty. There is a creek that runs though out the course and comes into play on a few holes. Tee pads and baskets are nice and there is a bulletin board with a course map which is great for first timers. There are some minor elevation changes which adds to the variety. There are also bathrooms on site next to hole 1 and 18
Cons: The course is pretty open. There are plenty of trees but most, if not all holes could be played right or left handed. The course was kind of boring overall in that most holes play the same. There were some cool shots, but I did feel like I played the same 3 or 4 holes many times. As said in a previous review the creek is pretty pungent.
Other Thoughts: This is pretty much your typical park course. There aren't any shots that I would call signature or must play. The course offers great tees, pins, scorecards, and locals so if you are passing through it is worth a stop. It appears to be the only course in the area so in that respect it does offer a good setting for beginners and experienced players.

Decent course

1    9/17/2008   9/17/2008
Review By: johnt1969
Pros: I updated the gps location of this park to put you in the parking lot, near hole 1. The previous location put me in a dirt lot that was near hole 12 so that's where I started playing from.

This course is pretty well designed. It utilizes the space and natural obstacles well. It has a good mix of long and short holes. The course is spread out over a plot of land that is mostly open and has some slight elevation change. That does not mean it is an easy course though. The holes are designed and positioned such that the trees force you to make good shots to get close. There is also a creek that comes in to play on a few of the holes. This make for some precarious putting. Especially in the wind.

There are very nice concrete tee pads and multiple pin positions. I think, when I did make it around to hole one, there was a restroom. There were also trash cans and benches spread out on the course.

You will definitely learn how to play in the wind in Amarillo. It was really windy the entire time I was in the city and definitely windy the day I played the course.

This course is relatively easy to navigate without a map. There were a couple places that I took a wrong turn but I wasn't lost for more than a minute before I found my way again. There is also a map on the board at hole 1 and there is one in the files section for this course. I didn't have a printer so I couldn't take a copy with me. The distances between pins and tees are good and there wasn't an area I can remember where discs from one hole would interfere with people playing on another hole.

Cons: The course does have tee signs but there is nothing on them on most of the holes. All of the other reviews say that the tee signs are good but they have either all been vandalized (painted over) or all the information was removed for some reason. I remember a couple holes on the back 9 that had small hand written distances on them but that was it. The tee signs are generally useless and that makes it hard when selecting what disc to throw from the tee. Also... since there was no distances written on the signs it did make it hard to find the pin in some cases. Some of the holes are very long and without a distance you really don't know if you're looking for a short hole or long one.

Generally speaking the park was in ok shape but there was a lot of litter and broken glass all over the place. Especially around the creek that came in to play on a few of the holes. There was also a foul odor in the area around the creek. That and the litter makes me think that it might have some sewage run-off in it but I'm not sure about that. It's just speculation.

The park is multi use and there are picnic areas that do come in to play. Especially on hole 18. I was there in the morning so I only had a few people sitting at the picnic tables to avoid but I imagine on weekends it could be very dangerous throwing in those areas.
Other Thoughts: Overall I enjoyed the course and would play it again but I would not put it in to a list of the best places I have played. It doesn't offer very much variety and the litter and lack of information on the tee signs really takes away from some of the enjoyment factor for me.