Amarillo, TX
Disc Creek DGC Share
Uploaded By: RocCityDiscer Hole #15 (Taken 5/2009)
3 / --   3 / 210ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #15 Tee: Creek is about 25 feet behind pin

My first course

5+    1/23/2010   2/21/2010
Review By: Froztfx
Pros: Excellent for a junkie to get hooked. I started playing here. It so far is the only one in Amarillo so not much to compare to for a new player. Got a friend of mine hooked & my brother from San Antonio, who took a few of my extra discs back and got some of his friends hooked back home.

After playing a few courses in San Antonio I would say it is really easy.

Excellent idea with the benches in case of slow play.
Cons: Could use some more sculpted holes with trees to throw thru/around. The creek comes into play a lot on holes 4, 15, 16, and 18. Can definitely lose one if the water is murky. If you have a golden retriever bring it!
Other Thoughts: Bring more Disc golf to Amarillo!

nothing great here

1    9/17/2009   9/17/2009
Review By: mrstiggy
This review was updated on 9/19/2009
Pros: Well.. what can I say about disc creek? its biggest plus is that its the only course within about a hundred miles, so if your me, and a disc golf junkie, play it as much as you can while you are in town. Disc golf courses fall into two categories in my eyes, city parks where they thought it would be a good idea to drop in some baskets, and actual courses. This one certainly falls into the city park category. Its mostly open with only a few trees here and there to mix up your game. There are definitive OBs to keep your game interesting, but the lack of tunnel shots leave you a bit board. Many holes are long and are willing to test your arm, but I would rather throw short and be challenged, then pushed to bomb. On a good note, for park in the armpit of Texas, it is for the most part litter free, and has plenty of trashcans for you to chuck your much needed beer to suffer a course of this caliber. In short its a fun course if you happen to be in the panhandle, but dont go out of your way to play it.
Cons: Seems decent as you huck your first one off 1, but you soon realize its not gonna get much better as you approach #2. If you shank it a little bit on 2 you will wind up in some water. The narrow drink that can catch your disc will make you think twice about battling the stink to get your favorite piece of plastic back. #3 is the easiest hole on the course, but if you over drive its short fairway, again you will find yourself in the stink water. On 4 you get to test your arm, but you also get to test the foul river. I dropped my JLS in here and found myself treading in high cloudy water with no luck of finding my disc. After you clear 4, there is not much for water hazards, but its just plain boring.
Other Thoughts: This would be a fantastic course if I lived in Amarillo and never exp. disc golf anywhere else, its enough to draw you into the sport, but if you enjoy good courses, only play if you are in town.

Good course everyday/ Great course on a calm day

1    8/20/2009   8/20/2009
Review By: heywillard90
Pros: -Nice park with plentiful space, decent grass and mature trees.

-As much distance as any disc golfer would ever need (some ULTRA long holes).

-Layout uses trees, creek and elevation as obstacles very well.

-I was able to find the layout without much trouble.

-Winds will add a tough challenge if you like that

-At the edge of the park there is a zoo with giant bison and other animals. It is amusing to shoot off the tee with giant exotic animals in the background.

Cons: Winds- They can be extremely frustrating for those of us who dont play flawlessly in the absense of wind. It is much more a nuissance on the longer holes that are grip and rip from the tee.

There were a couple holes in which I could not find the basket from the tee.

Teepads- I played in the morning when the morning dew made it very wet, and with the short teepads it was very hard to get some long drives off.
Other Thoughts: The layout definitely gets a 4. There are not too many extremely easy, boring holes. This course will challenge you with distance, wind, elevation and many obstacles. Yet accuracy is hard enough for me without wind, so it was very frustrating trying to get good shots off. On a calm day I would love to play this course. But with all the wind this course didnt have me itching to come back another day. Nevertheless this course is very well done and deserves an above average rating.

Great park!

5+    8/1/2009   8/11/2009
Review By: Marty McFly
Pros: Good layout, varied distances, and great tee pads. Elevation changes good for Texas! This course will challenge you, and it's a good walk. The creek plays into several holes and adds a great challenge. If you are intermediate or above player, you will be challenged - but don't let that scare you, scoring well is still possible.

Great mix of straight shots, anhyzers, and hyzers. Need to bring every shot in your bag. Also has a good mix of par 4's! Great trees and large objects to block the sun!
Cons: Bring all of your discs and Water! Especially in the summer!
In the panhandle of Texas it can be very windy so keep that in mind.
Won't affect play but some of the tee signs are missing or vandalized.

My buddy lost one of his discs in the creek that was ankle high and went shoeless in after it, he came out with the disc and a LEECH! I thought it was awesome but he did not, so be careful in the creek.

The creek will eat plastic. Water is in play on 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: Friendly and active locals. I had someone come up to me as I was playing a solo round and introduce themselves and invite me out to play in the bi-weekly tournaments. You should play here if you get the chance! If I lived any closer I would love the locals and activity of them!

Better than a 3

1    6/17/2009   6/24/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- This is a nice course. It is definitely better than the 3 rating it has. I would score it higher than a 3.5 if it had better signage.
- It gets dark late in Amarillo. I was racing from Albuquerque to get there and didn't think I was going to make it. Pulled in at 8:15 and played the whole course with daylight to spare.
- The course has a mix of tough holes that are long (par 4ish) and short birdie opportunities. There are several places you can go OB... a dirty river skirts along a few of the holes and there are several pins near roads.
- For Texas... they sure did utilize the little bit of elevation they did have.
Cons:
- The creek/river that skirts a few of the holes was lined with broken glass and plastic bags that had floated downstream and become intertwined in the vegetation, etc... It was pretty dirty.
- Signage was terrible... everyone is a fag apparently because every tee-pad was graffitied with the names of dudes who other dudes thought were fags. Distances of the holes would be good enough for me.
- Supposedly, the neighborhood is dangerous. Either way, you could get lost in this park looking for the course... or even lost in the neighborhood surrounding the park as you try to find your way.
- I think I saw a prostitute giving a BJ in the parking lot. Seriously!
- Bring your own beer and ice chest with you on your road trips... I slept in a dry county after leaving Amarillo on my way to Oklahoma. That F-ing sucked.
- Thanks for the help John Rock... your course in Amarillo was fantastic!
- My Score: -1

Nice variety here.

1    6/13/2009   6/18/2009
Review By: wolito
This review was updated on 7/21/2010
Pros: I like the fact that this is not a flat course and it is designed well with that in mind. Truly does have a full range of holes here: long/short, sharp right/left, uphill/downhill and water comes into play on several holes. There is quiet a bit of variety on this course and no tow holes felt the same. Large teepads provide plenty of run up. Baskets are in good shape. It has a nice flow to it, each hole leads nicely to the next. Good group of local people that were then when I was that help you out and whom really enjoy the game.
Cons: There was some navigation issues between the holes, better signage needed. A few holes had trash and broken glass around them. Graffiti on signs and baskets. I am partial to heavily wooded courses and this is not. A park road runs throught so watch for cars and people.
Other Thoughts: To me this is a classic disc golf course. It has appeal for both beginner and pro alike. A course that you would want to play time and time again. Even if it is the only course for a hundred miles around, it would satsify that daily fix of getting some throwing in. If traveling in the area on I-40, then it is definately worth the stop.

Very Pleased

1    5/27/2009   5/28/2009
Review By: RocCityDiscer
Pros: There is a little bit of everything here, technical shots through gaps and over the creek and some really wide open holes were you can let it rip. But mostly a strong arm is needed because of long holes and very windy conditions. The creek comes in to play on 6 or 7 holes but it is pretty shallow so you will probably get your disc back. The park is easily accessible from I-40 if you are passing through Amarillo as I was definitely stop I am glad I did.
Cons: Not much elevation change here. Picnic areas are mixed throughout the course and could possibly interfere with your play if people are using them.
Other Thoughts: This Course is very well kept up with a nice bulletin board, scorecards with a map, signs at every tee box, and was very clean. The park is easily accessible from I-40 if you are passing through Amarillo, as I was, definitely stop I am glad I did.

Thompson Park

1    4/13/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: lohrtom
Pros: Easy to navigate as most baskets are visible from the previous basket. Just off of the road if you are passing through Amarillo.
Cons: Amarillo can be windy often making it challenging for an accurate throw. The creek that runs through the park and along some throwing routes is pretty dirty and filled with trash.
Other Thoughts: It's the only course for miles. If passing through it is worth your time. This was the first disc golf course I ever played, but have no special affection for it.

Thompson park

1    1/23/2009   1/23/2009
Review By: Myers
Pros: This course has a good mixture of long and short holes and has some well placed pins to add difficulty. There is a creek that runs though out the course and comes into play on a few holes. Tee pads and baskets are nice and there is a bulletin board with a course map which is great for first timers. There are some minor elevation changes which adds to the variety. There are also bathrooms on site next to hole 1 and 18
Cons: The course is pretty open. There are plenty of trees but most, if not all holes could be played right or left handed. The course was kind of boring overall in that most holes play the same. There were some cool shots, but I did feel like I played the same 3 or 4 holes many times. As said in a previous review the creek is pretty pungent.
Other Thoughts: This is pretty much your typical park course. There aren't any shots that I would call signature or must play. The course offers great tees, pins, scorecards, and locals so if you are passing through it is worth a stop. It appears to be the only course in the area so in that respect it does offer a good setting for beginners and experienced players.

Decent course

1    9/17/2008   9/17/2008
Review By: johnt1969
Pros: I updated the gps location of this park to put you in the parking lot, near hole 1. The previous location put me in a dirt lot that was near hole 12 so that's where I started playing from.

This course is pretty well designed. It utilizes the space and natural obstacles well. It has a good mix of long and short holes. The course is spread out over a plot of land that is mostly open and has some slight elevation change. That does not mean it is an easy course though. The holes are designed and positioned such that the trees force you to make good shots to get close. There is also a creek that comes in to play on a few of the holes. This make for some precarious putting. Especially in the wind.

There are very nice concrete tee pads and multiple pin positions. I think, when I did make it around to hole one, there was a restroom. There were also trash cans and benches spread out on the course.

You will definitely learn how to play in the wind in Amarillo. It was really windy the entire time I was in the city and definitely windy the day I played the course.

This course is relatively easy to navigate without a map. There were a couple places that I took a wrong turn but I wasn't lost for more than a minute before I found my way again. There is also a map on the board at hole 1 and there is one in the files section for this course. I didn't have a printer so I couldn't take a copy with me. The distances between pins and tees are good and there wasn't an area I can remember where discs from one hole would interfere with people playing on another hole.

Cons: The course does have tee signs but there is nothing on them on most of the holes. All of the other reviews say that the tee signs are good but they have either all been vandalized (painted over) or all the information was removed for some reason. I remember a couple holes on the back 9 that had small hand written distances on them but that was it. The tee signs are generally useless and that makes it hard when selecting what disc to throw from the tee. Also... since there was no distances written on the signs it did make it hard to find the pin in some cases. Some of the holes are very long and without a distance you really don't know if you're looking for a short hole or long one.

Generally speaking the park was in ok shape but there was a lot of litter and broken glass all over the place. Especially around the creek that came in to play on a few of the holes. There was also a foul odor in the area around the creek. That and the litter makes me think that it might have some sewage run-off in it but I'm not sure about that. It's just speculation.

The park is multi use and there are picnic areas that do come in to play. Especially on hole 18. I was there in the morning so I only had a few people sitting at the picnic tables to avoid but I imagine on weekends it could be very dangerous throwing in those areas.
Other Thoughts: Overall I enjoyed the course and would play it again but I would not put it in to a list of the best places I have played. It doesn't offer very much variety and the litter and lack of information on the tee signs really takes away from some of the enjoyment factor for me.