East Liverpool, OH
Uploaded By: gcoghill Hole #17

Great Variety, Lack of Course Flow

2-4    10/11/2013   10/14/2013
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Thompson Park Disc Golf Course is located in a huge city park that has numerous pavilions, a pool, tennis and basketball courts, football and baseball fields, and hiking trails. There is plenty of parking space here and there is a bathroom, water fountain, and garbage cans near the parking area. It is located on top of a hill in East Liverpool, and is only a few miles off of I-30 and I-68. There is a board with local tournament info. near the first tee. The course uses sturdy Chainstar baskets that are in good shape and have hole numbers on them. The designers did a great job utilizing a lot of the park's land and the course is largely spread throughout.

-The outback 9 is the most up to date part of the course featuring numerous next tee signs that are very helpful and make that part of the course easy to navigate. The tee signs are newer and include arrows pointing to the next tee. There has also been a serious amount of deduction of trees in the woods on holes like 19, making the fairway more reasonable.

-The best aspect of the course is the great variety of hole types with many open holes that give you a chance to bomb your disc, numerous super tight holes in the woods, and everything in between. There is a nice variety of hyzer, anhyzer, and straight shots in the open and in the woods. The course also offers huge differences in difficulty. The front 9 are all pretty simply, fairly short holes that are good for beginners. You could call some of these border-line throwaway holes as there is not a lot of line shaping or diversity to the front 9, but they can serve as a nice warm-up for the rest of the course. If this was my home course, however, these holes definitely would be boring. The back 9 start out with a few super tight holes in the woods and offer a great variety of elevation and hyzer, anhyzer, and straight shots. Holes 11, 13, and 14 play over a ravine and have a stream running through the holes. Then the holes open up and offer a lot of distance. The outback 9 mostly features super tight holes in the woods and offer a few tunnel shots through hiking paths and have a few open holes (22 and 26). The elevation is greatly utilized throughout the course as there are a few shots off cliffs (13 and 21), extreme uphill holes (15), and holes that play on significant slopes (10, 16, and 17).
Cons: While the course offers a ton of variety, there are numerous - pretty serious - problems that detract from the overall experience of playing here.
-First off, the tees here are awful. The front 9 have very thin and narrow tees that are useless in giving any sort of comfortable run up for your drives. The natural tees for the back 18 holes are often on uneven ground, so they are not too comfortable to drive from either. I enjoyed the drives off cliffs, but they can certainly be dangerous for someone who is young or not coordinated.

-Navigation is pretty horrendous for the front 18, and the course overall does not flow well. There is a lot of back tracking on the front 9, and there is not any flow to the next tee. This caused me to search a lot, even though the front 9 all play in the same section of the park. A few times I went to the wrong tee at first, so next tee arrows would help a lot here. Traveling through the back 9 can be somewhat dangerous if it is wet at all, as it requires you to hike down very thin and steep paths in a few parts. You have to walk over a moss covered tree on hole 13, and if wet at all it is very slippery. I like the hiking/nature aspect of this course but it would not suit players who aren't in good shape and have good balance. This greatly limits some part of the course's playability and should be taken into account. Some of the next tees of hard to spot in the woods due to the small wooden tee signs. There are also many long walks to the next tee for holes 10, 12, 18, 19, 21, 22, and 23.

-Holes 10 and 20 have nonexistent fairways. I appreciate tight holes, but these two holes require total luck as there are way too many trees. Arguments can even be made for hole 26's fairway and 27's upshot to the basket that those shots require luck and do not have distinct lines. Again, I thoroughly enjoy tight, wooded holes, but these shots require luck only. Simply put, there are parts of this course that are beautiful, but do not have good topography for disc golf and are sometimes even unsafe.
-The front 9 also play very close to and in one case across the park's walking loop, which was highly congested the two times I played here. There were numerous times I had to wait to the throw.
Other Thoughts: As I stated above, I appreciated the course's diversity of open and tight holes, something a 27-hole course needs. The tees (or lack of) and navigational problems on the front 18 are what hurt this course's score for me and are certainly below average. The variety of hole types offered here are great, so that balances out the rating as being "typical". My favorite holes were:

13- Very tight shot through trees and you drive off of a cliff
16- 600 ft. anhyzer of a slope that plays through a few trees. A nice chance to air out your disc after playing the tight shots in the woods
21- Another straight shot off of a cliff with a tight line
23- Super tight and long tunnel shot

Took two hours to play by myself

Disorganized & Underwhelming

1    7/6/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: Qikly
This review was updated on 10/4/2013
Pros: This course contains a very large variety of hole lengths and levels of woodedness and difficulty, meaning there's something for everyone. The front nine would be great for playing a round with someone new to the sport, and personally, I don't think they're total throwaways, either: there's enough variation in elevation, obstacles, out of bounds, and pin placement to keep you going, even if there's nothing particularly memorable about them. Holes 10-15 play in dense woods, and 16-17 across a broad, sloping fairway before 18's relative openness. I didn't make it to 19-27, unfortunately.

Amenities (water fountain, bathrooms, and parking) are very accessible.

The staff that we met were very nice and eager to help.
Cons: I feel that there are a lot of drawbacks to this course that impede the overall experience.

First and foremost, navigating the first 9 is indeed horrendous. We had several extended searches to find the next hole, causing the front 9 to take at least twice the necessary time. Perfect course flow isn't always possible, especially in a more open area that lacks obvious directionality; that said, the layout on these holes is a downright head-scratcher that can easily frustrate. The fact that these holes play across the park's central field also has the potential to lead to major conflicts with non disc golfers. There was no visible attempt in the course's layout to avoid such a problem, when there seemed to be space to do so.

There were several kinds of tees on this course, but all had their problems. Most if not all of the front 9 were concrete, but they were exceedingly short and narrow, making them unusable for me (and I don't have a big run-up by any means). Furthermore, their positioning often prevented me from driving in the grass next to them. This hindered my ability to play and enjoy these holes.

The tees for holes 10-15 had a completely different problem. They were natural tees that felt unsafe for a variety of reasons: 10 was at an absurdly steep angle, 11 was from atop a slippery (at the time I was there) rock overlooking a steep drop off, etc. This kept me from getting any legitimate run up on my drives, severely limiting how I was able to play these holes. I understand that it's harder to establish quality tees within a wooded setting, but seemingly no effort was made to do so on these holes. I've seen it done elsewhere in the area (Orange Crush, Moraine, etc etc) enough to know that it's more than feasible. The poor quality of these tees really detracted from my experience here, since I couldn't play these holes to the best of my already-tenuous ability.

In general, the wooded holes felt built around a desire for pizzazz more than quality; they came off as gimmicky and lacking of substance to me. Yes, the playing environment is gorgeous, and potentially interesting, but this portion of the course seemed very raw. There was an absence of lines and general effort to shape these holes or provide them with any form of a path or fairway. Paths/bridges/etc were also missing, which would go a long way to making this section disc golfing friendly. As is, I had some precarious moments trying to navigate the severe elevation and unsure/rocky footing. I'm fit and experienced at hiking through rough conditions, so if my sense was that the environment these holes play in was dicey, I can imagine that they'd be impassable for more than a few disc golfers. I can think of a lot of folks I've played with who I wouldn't take through here. My complaint isn't so much the natural topography as it is the lack of any visible effort to improve the conditions.

Based on the size and proximity of the creek that cuts through 11, I'd guess that it would flood after a decent rain. In such a condition, I imagine 11 would be wholly unplayable, and other holes might be affected, too.

The fact that none of the holes I played (1-18) stood out to me is itself a pretty bad sign.
Other Thoughts: I feel obliged to further highlight that I did not play the final 9 holes: we ran out of light, unfortunately. I initially hesitated to review the course because of this, but I had strong opinions on the safety, playability, and organization of the course that I wanted to share. The last 9 holes had little chance of impacting these opinions. In general, I would not recommend this course to others if they asked me: it's not terrible by any stretch, and it has some potential, but it also has some real problems IMHO. Coupled with the fact that there are such quality courses nearby that offer better versions of the same basic experience - if you have a hankering for woods then play Two Mile Extension, 11 miles away - I doubt I'll make an effort to try Thompson Park again next time I'm in the area. As always, YMMV, folks.

Multiple Personalities

1    7/8/2013   7/9/2013
Review By: jblough
Pros: Like many 27 hole courses, this can be basically broken down into three 9 hole courses. The first set of nine appeals to beginners and families playing disc golf, as the shots aren't very long or difficult (they play wide open with a few trees here and there).

The middle 9 holes (10-18) are the best IMO. Some holes play through dense woods with a giant ravine in the park. Thus, nearly every hole plays with steep elevation changes uphill and downhill. The holes proceed out into the open with #16 and 18 being 600 and 400 foot drives, respectively. It's a nice balance of steep wooded elevation and wide open bombs on this set of nine. Hole #18 is kind of a unique hole, throwing the whole way over a baseball field from a top a hill. Can you hit a home run?

The last nine holes, called "The Safari," aren't bad, but they're not as memorable as the middle nine. Some of the holes play open in the open park space, while others are wooded fairways with varying lines to the basket. I feel like in an effort to get the last nine to wrap back to the first tee, they sacrificed some uniqueness and challenge for the sake of looping.
Cons: - There's a long walk from #20 to 21. Navigation in general is kind of iffy in the sense that it's not intuitive and some holes aren't right next to subsequent ones. I was definitely happy I had a map.

- The park was pretty crowded when I was there, but no people really came into contact with the holes. I'm not sure how often this could be an issue with joggers and other park patrons.

- The first nine are comparatively boring compared to the other 18, but I'm glad to see some variety--especially for less experienced players.

- The tees on #1-9 are too narrow and short, and the rest of the holes have no real tees to speak of at all. A set of concrete tees on #10-27 would be awesome.
Other Thoughts: I've been meaning to play here for quite some time and I'm glad I did. In addition to a quality 27-hole course on site, there are other recreational opportunities in the park, such as a nice swimming pool, pavilions, tennis courts, etc. In fact, Thompson Park has that big city park feel, like I was in Denver or Indianapolis or somewhere. In fact, without overstating it too much, this park kind of felt like a very short and slightly less challenging version of Water Works in KC, MO.

IMO, I think the course does a nice job of accommodating both beginners or experienced players. The first nine satisfy the former, and the last 18 satisfy the latter.

Nearby Chester City Park and Tomlinson Run State Park are other opportunities for disc golf in the area. Play all three in a day for a fun experience and a sore arm!

Long Course

1    8/20/2012   9/23/2012
Review By: hogwild428
Pros: Thiscourse offers a big variety for anyone. If you want big wooded holes or short shots across a field you can get a little bit of everything here.
Cons: The signs aren't great so be prepared for some walking through the woods. Most tees are ok, but some spots are uneven and have roots sticking up in the way.
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely worth taking a trip to go play. If you aren't up for a huge day the front 9 holes could easily get skipped and just move right into the heary of the woods.

A Long Day Of Fun

1    8/20/2012   8/22/2012
Review By: timbur3
Pros: The baskets are great. There are a ton of fun elevation change holes. There is a mix of shorter and longer holes throughout the 27 different holes. The pars on the signs were very fair. A couple tee shots off of these huge rocks were awesome.
Cons: Some tee pads were iffy with roots and uneven ground. The course is very confusing to navigate because the signage is not very good and it does not tell you were the next tee is on most holes. You will spend a bunch of time wandering looking for the next tees. We only found "The Outback" (19-27) on accident because we just took a guess after walking around for 5 minutes. It is across the road on the left of #18 basket in the woods.
Other Thoughts: It has a great mix of holes. With better signs this course would be even better because of the use of elevation. This course would definitely be worth driving an hour to go play on some weekend because it is that good.

Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde

1    5/12/2012   5/12/2012
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Front 9 in a clean and well kept park
Back 9 has some of the best disc golf I have ever played, in Ohio or elsewhere
Out Back 9 (As they call it) is excellent at times
The land, absolutely perfect for Disc Golf
Good mix of distances
Great mix of shot selection
Fantastic mix of Open to wooded
Amazing use incorporating natural features into the game
Combination killer Disc Golf Course and killer nature hike

Cons: I found the front 9 while pretty to be somewhat boring.
Flow is big problem here, even with a map it will give you fits
Tee Pads were beyond bad, either way to small or non-exisistant.
Growth and brush are out of control
This course will wear you out if you not in shape
Other Thoughts: My recommendation would be to skip the Front 9 all together and go straight to the back. I know most of you will ignore my warning, I know I would. But at least save your arm for the back 18 and do it first. Save the Front 9 for last.

I found the front 9 very Ho Hum and extremely frustrating to navigate, even with a map. It weaves around a very nice park. The Tee Pads are worthless and don't allow for anything other then a flat footed release. Don't give up on this course though once you get warmed up here your in for a treat.

Some of the early holes in the back 9 are Disc Golf at its finest. Beautiful setting, you'll play off natural Tee Pads (which I prefer) around ravines and streams and boulders. I say this a lot but I really mean it here, this is a combination Disc Golf course and gorgeous nature hike. I loved it, I can wear you out but you'll love every second. The back 18 tails off a little after the first few holes but not much. It's really well designed.

The wooded fairways are a little to tight. I'm all for tight and I love the challenge of shaping a great shot but leave us a line. Slight flow problems on the back 18 but not as much as the front. Also the growth can be difficult to manage, not just OB but the fairways as well. Be ready to spend a lot of time searching for your discs. I rarely lose discs but I left two good ones behind there.

I wouldn't take a person with a lower skill level out here, it may be a bit much for them but I would definitely recommend this place for a road trip. I know I trashed this place a little in my review but trust me when I say that the positives far out way the negatives. I loved it here. If your a fan of the nature aspect of disc golf like I am then run to this place. It has it's problems but with some work this place could be phenomenal.

Thompson Park

1    5/21/2011   5/22/2011
Review By: honestdead
Pros: Beautiful scenic course with plenty of challenging holes. 27 holes in one location. Creative use of space. Very friendly course supervisor.
Cons: Some trees need to be removed to make a few of the fairways a little more reasonable. (I'm not being a baby go play it and you'll see what I mean) Tee pads would be a great addition.

Lots of potential, but needs attention

1    8/10/2010   8/24/2010
Review By: gobias
Pros: Located in a beautiful park, with a creek that comes in to play on many holes.

27 holes- if your goal is to get a lot of throws in, this is a good place to do it. Holes provide a good mix of open and wooded shots.

Good use of natural features- I love it when course design incorporates the natural landscape. Two holes on this course feature medium sized boulders as tee pads, which is great. Also a good use of elevation with holes that go both steeply up and down hill.
Cons: Tee pads!!! The tee pads are horrendous on this course, making a run up nearly impossible on several of the wooded holes. Natural tees are not always a bad thing, but the tees at this course need to be leveled and generally cleaned up.

Lack of maintenance. A few of the holes on the back portion of this course are nearly unplayable from the tee- you will be standing on the tee and looking at a wall of forest between you and the basket. I am all for difficult, technical holes that weave through trees, but the golfer must be provided with some sort of line to aim for. Many of the holes require some tree removal and trimming to make them realistically playable- there is more to designing a golf course than just placing a tee and basket 400 feet apart in a forest.

Single tee and basket locations. In fact, the baskets lack a "female piece" in the ground, and instead the poles are just buried in the ground, which makes the target 8-12 inches lower than a typical basket. A minor issue, but something I noticed nonetheless...

As already mentioned by other reviewers, but worth reiterating, the course has little flow, and the golfer is faced with several long walks from basket to next tee.
Other Thoughts: Despite the problems of this course, I still enjoyed my round. However, if you are traveling from the Pittsburgh area to play this course, as I did, I would advise sticking to Deer Lakes/Moraine/Knob Hill, as these are all far superior courses in my opinion. If you are looking for a wooded course and want to venture away from the city, I would suggest the Orange Crush course in WV, which provides a challenging, but better maintained, wooded golf experience.

This course has a ton of potential- with better tees and some course maintenance, this could easily be a course with a four disc rating, but as of right now it is only average.

Under the Radar 27 Holes!

1    5/19/2010   5/19/2010
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: A beautifully landscaped park for the first 9 holes followed by some truly adventurous woods holes. This course has recently been expanded to 27 holes. The front 9 basically are a smattering of ace/birdie chances played in the groomed area of the park. The shots are short and require a delicate touch as often there are trees, access roads, and some slight elevation that make the shots interesting for their small size. Any bigger and the holes in this area would be too dangerous any smaller and it would be very boring. Pleasant relaxing front nine. Take a walk past the parking lot and bathrooms and the entire theme changes and you feel as though you are in a big state park and no longer a city park. 10 gives you a 420 foot dive straight down to a basket perched in front of a stream. 11 follows with a fun shot over the stream. 13 is a memorable throw off a boulder across the stream to a boulder laden green. Woods and elevation are everywhere on holes 10-15....some of the best woods golf I have played. 16 plays back in the open, but this one is a 600 foot L to R bender with the mountainside sloping hard left and the basket is 2 drives away so get your anhyzer ready but don't mistakenly throw a roller or your gonna roll down down and OOB into the access road below. Great hole here. Every hole on the back 9 will be enjoyable for experienced golfers. I saw several of the basket locations and tee positions for the new 9 (total will be 27 holes) These follow the same theme as the middle nine so basically it's a fun beginner nine hole course followed by a challenging and exciting 18 holer. I apparently was in town the week before the new holes were completed. From what I saw I want to rate my score up to a 4 but I can't do that as I didn't play them.
Cons: The tees are natural and in this course's case...better tees are needed here. Navigation was an issue. Even the map can be confusing. The front nine play generally in a counter-clockwise loop around the groomed interior of the park and the following nine play in a clockwise direction around the rugged exterior of the park. (1 is not near the lot and 9 finishes far from where 10 begins and then 18 finishes far away from everything. I can only imagine where the other 27 will take you.....perhaps somehow it will tie everything together and it will make sense?) Also some long walk on the woods holes..such as 11 to 12 (across the picnic grove way opposite corner from where you come out of the woods) and then 14 to 15. Theres bound to be some confusion I advise first timers to definetely print out a map. Some may gripe the front 9 are too easy. As far as holes go..#10 did feel like a poke and a prayer...perhaps theres a local route but I never saw it. I do think if the tee was moved a bit perhaps a chute like lane would appear...I would never want those giant trees cut out for sake of a disc golf hole.
Other Thoughts: If the final 9 holes are as strong as the middle 9. If the tees improve and the navigation is improved with clear marked paths and signage. If they can maintain and groom the woods and keep it clear of fallen limbs and improve some of the steep banked areas with steps and ropes to aid in the walking. I would feel this is a destination course. It has a bunch of problems but it still has some great disc golf holes and shots you will remember. Worth a stop especially now that it is 27 holes. I think if the courses were split with the front 9 being a separate course and the following 18 was it's own course that the ratings would tell a different story. I'm thinking 2.5 for the simple niner and 4.25 for the back 18. The first nine holes would be a great warm-up, cool-down or glow course.

potential

5+    12/28/2009   12/28/2009
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: Good mix of shots. Front and back 9 completely unique, not alike. Beginners can stay up top and if you got the guts try the back 9 but you need to be in shape. Challenging. Scenery.
Cons: No flow. Back 9 was added later, but neither 9 flows well or together, long, blind walks. Tee posts sometimes placed in the only spot flat/safe enough to tee off from making a good shot near impossible. Poison ivy is unavoidable in season.
Other Thoughts: I helped design the back 9, didn't plan to leave it 'unfinished' like it is, but I can't do anything about that. If they could clear more trees as was planned it would be epic.
With some tree work and some better tees and signs this would easily become a destination course. Time will tell if that can happen.