Gaithersburg, MD
Seneca Creek State Park Share
Uploaded By: crandellfamily Hole #22 (Taken 6/2010)
Hole #22 Short Tee

5+    4/6/2013   4/6/2013
Review By: KimBrennan
Pros: 27 holes of top notch disc golf holes. This course is in a State Park, that recognizes how popular the sport is. Course is laid out in 3 9 hole stretches that come back to the parking lot. 3 tees per hole. Multiple pin positions that get moved around. Tee signs are pretty good at indicating which pin position is in play.
Cons: Only a Jiffy John in the parking area. No water or other facilities at the disc golf course (there are other facilities in the park.) Signs are only at one of the tee pads per hole.
Other Thoughts: I had played this course in its original 18 hole configuration 20 years ago. A configuration I prefer over today's design. However many of the trees (cedars) from back then have grown out and closed out that course. This is (for the most part) a tight technical course, through a wooded section of the park. Some areas are old growth (tall trees with few lower branches), others are recent open growth area (aka lots of branches).

Discs for sale (and bags) are available at the Park headquarters. There is an entrance fee for the park on weekends ($3 for MD residents, $5 for out of staters). Park Headquarters is accessible without having to pay the entrance fee.

Tightest drives we've ever played

1    6/27/2010   6/28/2010
Review By: crandellfamily
Pros: My family qualifies as long-term novices. We've played only 3 DC courses thus far, and this is my favorite.

Great concept to have 27 well-designed holes in 3 separate loops. If you don't have the time or energy for all 27 you can pick your starting point and work from there. My son and I started on 10, and played a combination of white and red tees, covering all 3 loops.

Good challenge with a huge emphasis on accuracy. It would help a lot to have more shot selection than we can produce - including a reliable roller, a backhand drive with a flat low trajectory, and a strong tomahawk recovery shot. Many of the holes, from both long and short tee, have trunks and branches tight against the tee boxes which can disrupt your drive. We noticed this especially on #6, #11, #15, #20, #21.

Holes in the grassy areas provide inviting landing areas, but you can't just let the drive or approach drop anywhere. Depending upon basket placement, you can be directed back into the woods, and a potentially blocked putt. That was the case on #8, #9, #14, #19, #23.

The flags above the baskets are a huge help, especially with so many basket placements to consider.

Favorite holes:

The entire stretch from #12-14.

12 drops sharply off the tee, inviting a longer drive. The fairway curls back uphill to the right.

Trees at 13 pinch the aim of your drive left, but a creek and OB line the entire left side of the fairway. Great natural setting, demanding accuracy with each shot. My choice for toughest hole on the course.

From the long tee at 14 you need to clear a horseshoe bend in the creek. Not especially hard to do, but it's a great view. As close as this course comes to a signature shot.

#20
I liked how the trees frame the fairway for the drive, and the very sharp dogleg right design, with a gradual downhill slope to the basket.

#22
Another gradual downhill that invites a longer drive. The angle of attack consistently tightens as you approach the basket, back into the woods.
Cons: The following observations definitely won't be cons for everyone.

Even though it's relatively short, the course isn't beginner friendly. On most holes, one wayward shot invites another three or four pinballs through the trees.

Most tee boxes are narrow, and made of rough cement blocks. It's a bit tougher to get the best footing for a run-up. More important, when the trees are tight against the tees, a narrow tee box makes the shot selection and angle even more limiting/exacting for the drive.

Baskets are a bit worn, and a few of them seemed to sit especially low to the ground. Not a big deal: from the DG postings, I realize there's no set standard for basket height. And with all the basket placements this course offers, the situation can change from one visit to the next.

Bring bug spray for warm weather. 85 degrees when we played, and we felt we were chewing our way through swarms of gnats. Bugs seemed much less of an issue on the more wooded sections.

Fairways can get overgrown in the summer, and there's lots of blind shots that increase the opportunities for lost discs. This was most obvious on 14. We lost track of a couple throws that were as accurate as we could hope for.

First-time course navigation can be difficult. There's currently no map on the on-site bulletin board. That could be an easy future fix. I downloaded the DG course review map after the fact, and it's very helpful. It shows why we stumbled from 12 to 6, and why we veered to 13 after playing 25. The signage wasn't consistent, but otherwise OK. The longest basket-to-tee walks, from 13 through 16, were fairly obvious.

No clear sign to the first tees. My son and I started on 10 because it's the first tee we found. Tee signs typically refer to blue and red, with red as the long tee. Once on course, it's pretty clear that the white tees - often marked by plastic cups - are long, and reds are short.
Other Thoughts: Seneca Creek looks like a great park overall. Lots of space, which permits the course to stake out its own territory. My daughters took a kayak out on the lake, while my son and I golfed.

There were yellow brick frames set into most if not all fairways. They seemed to be ultra-short tee boxes. If that's correct, they were almost too easy for anybody above the level of my youngest daughter. Or maybe they're non-stop ace runs for local competitions. That of course can be a plus, but it would help if the tees get some kind of clarification/visibility.

Seems like a huge difference between summer and winter golf on this course. It may be psychological more than anything else - but between all the bugs and sweat and encroaching leaves and brush, we may have benefited from better timing. On the other hand, it was nice to see all the greenery, and it was clear enough for us to spot a few deer along the left side of the 23rd hole.

2-4    9/5/2009   9/5/2009
Review By: prerube
This review was updated on 4/25/2010
Pros: 27 holes with multiple tee pads and basket positions.
Signs at the basket lead you to the next hole.
NO DOG POOP..YAY
decent variety for players to practice different shots: Elevation, sharp doglegs, tunnels, a great variety of everything.
course is basically 3 loops, so you can get a drink out of your car or go to the bathroom every 9 holes.
Cons: Course is a navigational nightmare.
I had played the course before and I had a guide who played before and we still had to ask for directions. Many missing tee signs, hole 7 tee sign was labeled 12 with a faded 7 written over it in marker.
Course was difficult to navigate, and the map given at the enterence is little to no halp. Hole 14 had grass so tall I almost skipped the hole (second time I played the grass was well maintained) , I was soaked from wet grass up to my knees after playing the hole.
No signature holes that you will go home and talk about. Course began getting monotonous after 20 holes.
Other Thoughts: The park costs $2 to park (maryland resident) Signs will lead you to the disc golf course with out a problem.
The course took just under 2 hours to play solo and I walked 2.5 miles through out the 27 holes.
There are a lot of deer, chipmunks, and other wildlife to watch on the course.
It was a hike from hole 13 to 14 and 14 to 15.
With only the addition of proper signage this course could become one the best in Maryland/NOVA area.

Well kept beauty

1    7/22/2009   7/22/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Beautiful course that has obviously been well taken care of. Separated from the rest of a large park, and has the feel of a 1st class course. Clean fairways in woods and on open grassy areas. Every hole plays fair with chances at good scores if you can shoot accurately. Not punished too badly for bad shots. If you want a top notch course that feels like your walking on a pristine nature trail this one's for you.
Cons: Might be picky, but there wasn't any holes that wowed me. Everything is nice, but nothing unique or overly challenging. Solid but kind of boring course. Layout is a little challenging for 1st timer. Could have better signs to direct toward next hole in some areas.
Other Thoughts: I would easily give this course a 4 if there was better signs and 1 or 2 better holes. Definitely worth a drive to play in that nice a setting though.